2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:39 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 pm It seems like a lot of parity for the “top 6” QBs. To move to the top 5 picks, we are looking at both 1rd’ers this year and next year’s 1st. I don’t know how to do a poll, but it feels like most people are saying sit and pick at 11 whether it be Penix, JJM, or Nix. As opposed to selling the farm for Maye or Daniels. Maye or Daniels won’t make it to 11. This is not my opinion, this is how it will be. In my opinion Caleb Williams will pan out to be a sensitive project with an attitude for the next 5 years. I’m super psyched for the bears to take him. But as much as I disagree with that valuation of number 1 overall… that’s where he’s going. Then Poles will take the top WR left with 9. 9? Williams, Maye, and daniels are all locks to not make it to 11. So if you had to choose between 3 1st rounders for Maye or Daniels… or sit and pick Penix/Nix/JJM at 11. What say you?
Kewsi has backed himself and the team into a corner. He's in a desperate spot which never leads to a well thought out decision. Once your on the QB hunt it's over. I like Maye the best but I don't expect that. It will be one of the tier 2 stiffs and in a few years it will be what happened? Let's go back on the hunt. I've watched that for over 50 years so I've seen it before many times and don't care to see it again. Just throw the names in a hat and pick one. That has the same chance as a thorough investigation. Matter of fact it would be more entertaining. Just show our draft table and let KOC hand Kewsi the hat. Then Kewsi will reach in for one. Name don't even matter. Some will cheer and some will boo regardless of name.
My take is I’m ok with whatever the Vikings decide to do. I like the idea of getting one of the top 3 but also am ok with Penix at 11.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 am
Kewsi has backed himself and the team into a corner. He's in a desperate spot which never leads to a well thought out decision. Once your on the QB hunt it's over. I like Maye the best but I don't expect that. It will be one of the tier 2 stiffs and in a few years it will be what happened? Let's go back on the hunt. I've watched that for over 50 years so I've seen it before many times and don't care to see it again. Just throw the names in a hat and pick one. That has the same chance as a thorough investigation. Matter of fact it would be more entertaining. Just show our draft table and let KOC hand Kewsi the hat. Then Kewsi will reach in for one. Name don't even matter. Some will cheer and some will boo regardless of name.
My take is I’m ok with whatever the Vikings decide to do. I like the idea of getting one of the top 3 but also am ok with Penix at 11.
That's fair. You hope that they have been scouting these guys for a few years and have already identified the guy they want. None of us know who's at the top of the board for them. Could be a player that isn't being talked about much. We'll see in a few weeks.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:32 am Give me Penix or Nix. Don't get me wrong, I trade the 3 1sts for a Jayden Daniels if given the opportunity. He's my favorite of all.
They, Penix and Nix played in the Pac 12 and its a passing league ! That gets severely looked over. These guys played at Indiana and Auburn before going out West and cutting it loose. Awesome skillsets, just needed a different venue.
Look at who's doing well in the NFL.
Mahomes - Texas Tech threw ball all over the place
Herbert - Oregon threw ball a ton.
Burrow - LSU 50 TDs and huge throwing numbers
CJ Stroud - Ohio State huge throwing numbers
Josh Allen - Wyoming was THE playmaker
Stafford - gunslinger
Rodgers - Cal gunslinger
Baker - Oklahoma Heisman huge throwing numbers
Hurts - Oklahoma
Murray - Oklahoma gun slinger
Purdy - Iowa State threw ball all over
Lamar - Louisville and he threw the ball a ton and ran
Tua - Bama actually big numbers

Reason I write those is that they had to demonstrate the ability to make throws in college. Caleb, Daniels, Penix, and Nix have all demonstrated. Accurate, can make every throw on all platforms, plenty of arm strength, has demonstrated ability to make the throws in games.
How many guys in today's NFL game were good QBs in college but not special players. They are backups if even still in league. I wait for Penix or Nix.
Very few Tom Brady stories out there. Is JJM a Brady? Don't know, but I prefer the guys that I have seen make all the throws.
I'm really worried about Daniels. Sure, he's an electric runner, but he's a runner, not a scrambler, and he's not very big. Because he likes to run and is good doing it, he's not avoiding contact, but usually trying to juke his way past defenders and takes some pretty big hits as a result. I'm worried that type of play can't be coached out of a guy or even controlled. Once his brain clicks into "run mode" he's going to go back to what worked, and that type of QB doesn't seem to last in the pros. They get injured and/or defensive coordinators figure out how to use that tendency to their advantage and neutralize it.

Penix and Nix strike me as excellent fits. Both are pass-first QBs who have run pro-style offenses and have the passing production stats that show it. I think either of them would make great fits in Minnesota, although I lean towards Penix more just because of his arm talent. Penix can fire balls into windows other QBs won't attempt, and he can do it successfully.

Best thing about Penix and Nix is that I think both could be had at 11 and one could be had as late as 23. No need to make a big splash to trade up. That is the last thing that really worries me about Daniels - he's going to carry future cost in addition to the risk that goes with drafting a rookie QB. KAM can get less risk at no future cost by holding at 11 and taking Penix or Nix.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:32 am
allday1991 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 am

That's fair. You hope that they have been scouting these guys for a few years and have already identified the guy they want. None of us know who's at the top of the board for them. Could be a player that isn't being talked about much. We'll see in a few weeks.
Pretty much, can’t wait! Haven’t been this excited for a draft in a while cant come quick enough.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

An interesting read that provides some more perspective on the QBs in this draft class:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024pos ... viewQB.php

Maye gets some really favorable ratings in that review. When I read about Maye I have a really hard time reconciling what I'm reading sometimes with that review by Chris Simms that was posted earlier in this thread by Victorious. IIRC, Simms wasn't a fan of Maye's accuracy, while Maye gets the highest rating for accuracy here. Just odd to see such a huge divergence in opinion on a QB prospect.

Bo Nix also shows consistently in most of the categories. He's never the best, but he's never the worst either. If slow-and-steady wins the race at QB production in the pros, and assuming Nix can continue to grow and improve in the right situation, he looks like a very safe bet, maybe the safest bet in the draft at the QB position.

I remember when JJ came out he got a lot of the same types of reviews - not flashy, but pro-ready and consistent. JJ has thrived as a pro. Maybe Nix is the next guy like that that would thrive under KOC?

Another comment from that the review at that link is how big a risk JJ McCarthy is. He basically started for one year and wasn't asked to do all that much during that one year. His struggles reading the field and with overall accuracy are pretty well documented at this point. I still do not understand why McCarthy has gotten into the top QB prospects picture based on his production or physical attributes. He doesn't really merit that consideration based on anything objective. Subjectively he might, but even there I'm not seeing it. Moving up to get him would be a huge risk for KAM and KOC and would really call into question their overall ability to judge prospective talent IMHO. Even sitting at 11 and taking McCarthy is unjustified. I wouldn't hate taking him at 23, but I wouldn't be super excited about it either.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

We brought in the DT out of Texas and Quinyon Mitchell a CB. Both are projected to go around pick 11 so it is entirely possible they wait to draft a QB until pick 23.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm An interesting read that provides some more perspective on the QBs in this draft class:

Maye gets some really favorable ratings in that review. When I read about Maye I have a really hard time reconciling what I'm reading sometimes with that review by Chris Simms that was posted earlier in this thread by Victorious. IIRC, Simms wasn't a fan of Maye's accuracy, while Maye gets the highest rating for accuracy here. Just odd to see such a huge divergence in opinion on a QB prospect.

Bo Nix also shows consistently in most of the categories. He's never the best, but he's never the worst either. If slow-and-steady wins the race at QB production in the pros, and assuming Nix can continue to grow and improve in the right situation, he looks like a very safe bet, maybe the safest bet in the draft at the QB position.

I remember when JJ came out he got a lot of the same types of reviews - not flashy, but pro-ready and consistent. JJ has thrived as a pro. Maybe Nix is the next guy like that that would thrive under KOC?

Another comment from that the review at that link is how big a risk JJ McCarthy is. He basically started for one year and wasn't asked to do all that much during that one year. His struggles reading the field and with overall accuracy are pretty well documented at this point. I still do not understand why McCarthy has gotten into the top QB prospects picture based on his production or physical attributes. He doesn't really merit that consideration based on anything objective. Subjectively he might, but even there I'm not seeing it. Moving up to get him would be a huge risk for KAM and KOC and would really call into question their overall ability to judge prospective talent IMHO. Even sitting at 11 and taking McCarthy is unjustified. I wouldn't hate taking him at 23, but I wouldn't be super excited about it either.
IMO Maye is the guy. I also read taking Maye is a sure firing. Sure we can pick a guy later but then you talking about a long development curve and a so so prospect. I also don't understand this thriving under KOC. He has shown me no indication that he can make a guy thrive. Dobbs who sucks and was an emergency fill in was much better with AZ than he was with us. The longer he was under KOC the worse he got. It was so bad that completing an easy pass became basically impossible. Plus it took forever to get him out of the lineup. You can find a QB anywhere even off the street like Kurt Warner. Sometimes I feel stick and pick and other times I feel trade the farm for Maye if he is even available. Daniels I want nothing to do with. I like Pratt but the bottom line he sucks for the pro level. Kewsi put his competitive rebuild in reverse. We won't be competitive although they will try to win and our roster gets weaker as the days pass under him. We are worse now than when he took over. I don't see any young studs waiting for there chance. To get a chance at Maye the Commanders must take Daniels.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Thought I'd chime in, have not been around in awhile.

I've read most comments in most threads regarding draft. Lots of talk of "if they've identified 'their guy'" among the QB's. I'm sure they have them in their order, and also have ranked scores on each. "Their guy" is probably only appropriate to use if one of the post-Williams guys has a score way above the others. Otherwise (and more likely IMO) there are 3-4 of "their guys".

Let's say they have them ranked Williams/Daniels/Maye/McCarthy/Nix/Penix. The real question is what are their relative "scores"? Are their scores (on a scale of 10) 10/9/8/7/6/5? Or are they 10/9.5/9.4/9.2/4/3?

Also, could 1-2 teams (including Vikes) be a large part of the "sources" talking up McCarthy? Is that one of the reasons his stock has seemingly soared? Do the Vikes want WAS and NE to think twice about what they're doing?

Who knows. The only thing we can hope for is that the ranking system Kwasi and KOC are using, in hindsight (when the time comes in a year or two), is/was a good one. That and that alone will dictate if we make the right decisions during the draft.

If the Vikes top 3 ranked QB's go 1/2/3 and their is no deal with NE because they demand too much, I could easily see us waiting it out to #11. Especially if the McCarthy/Nix/Penix scores are 8.8/8.7/8.6. I think they grabbed #23 just in case the Vikes top three are NOT the first three picks of the draft.

And the Vikes ranking dropoff from #3 QB to #4 QB will dictate how much they offer NE to move up. If the dropoff is 1.5, they'll offer a lot. If the dropoff is .3, they won't.

So I guess we'd all better just hope that their rankings somewhat match reality in a year or two.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 pm It seems like a lot of parity for the “top 6” QBs. To move to the top 5 picks, we are looking at both 1rd’ers this year and next year’s 1st. I don’t know how to do a poll, but it feels like most people are saying sit and pick at 11 whether it be Penix, JJM, or Nix. As opposed to selling the farm for Maye or Daniels. Maye or Daniels won’t make it to 11. This is not my opinion, this is how it will be. In my opinion Caleb Williams will pan out to be a sensitive project with an attitude for the next 5 years. I’m super psyched for the bears to take him. But as much as I disagree with that valuation of number 1 overall… that’s where he’s going. Then Poles will take the top WR left with 9. 9? Williams, Maye, and daniels are all locks to not make it to 11. So if you had to choose between 3 1st rounders for Maye or Daniels… or sit and pick Penix/Nix/JJM at 11. What say you?
Can you do me a small favor and stop calling Kwesi Kewsi. It hurts my brain seeing that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:22 pm
Can you do me a small favor and stop calling Kwesi Kewsi. It hurts my brain seeing that.
Sure. Both ways hurts mine. My brain is use to seeing a vowel as the second letter. I would give him a nickname but Rick already has trader down so maybe K-Dog. Only joking.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Another take on some possible future Vikings QBs by Kurt Warner:

Drake Maye - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79DSxztUEQ

Bo Nix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4IbevSgO8

Michael Penix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCc6K46ROg
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

The Vikings have not met with Bo Nix narrative is no longer valid.

Bo Nix added to Minnesota Vikings list of 3-Day QB workouts
You’ve heard all the reports about their various visits or attempted meetings with prospects such as Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, J.J. McCarthy, and Michael Penix Jr. Now, according to Breer, we can add Bo Nix to that list.
Oh, and there have been questions about how long the Minnesota Vikings have spent with these quarterbacks, during these private workouts. Breer answered that too. Three days, which is a lot of time to get to know someone.
“Rather than go to the cattle calls that pro days often become, Minnesota dispatched quarterbacks coaches Josh McCown and Grant Udinski to [pro days], and then rolled out a larger group for a three-day whirlwind tour to work out quarterbacks privately. The itinerary included stops in Chapel Hill to meet Drake Maye, Ann Arbor to get with J.J. McCarthy, Seattle to put Penix through the paces and Eugene to see Bo Nix.”
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 pm Another take on some possible future Vikings QBs by Kurt Warner:

I think it will be Penix. He has the most experience and is the most ready pick and play guy for this year. Upside is limited.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm An interesting read that provides some more perspective on the QBs in this draft class:

Maye's accuracy over all is decent not good not bad. The reason for him being called inaccurate by many, many evaluators is he will often miss on the simplest of passes. Ones that should be completed at least 19 times out of 20. I think it's a focus/lack of concentration thing.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:38 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 pm Another take on some possible future Vikings QBs by Kurt Warner:

I think it will be Penix. He has the most experience and is the most ready pick and play guy for this year. Upside is limited.
His upside isn't very limited. Not with that arm talent and accuracy. His upside is leading a team to an NFL championship.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.