Josh McCown hired as QB coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Josh McCown hired as QB coach

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Vikings have hired longtime NFL backup Josh McCown as their QB coach.

This is a guy with a lot of experience in the NFL, and a guy who is highly regarded as a future NFL head coach. I think it’s an underrated good hire.

There’s also a potential connection to this year’s draft.

When McCown first was out of the league in 2019, he became a high school coach in North Carolina. His quarterback? Drake Maye.

Makes you wonder.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Josh McCown hired as QB coach

Post by Maelstrom88 »

We're taking a QB this year and Kirk is likely gone.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:09 pm We're taking a QB this year and Kirk is likely gone.
I'm beginning to think Atlanta is going to "make him an offer he can't refuse". The "rumors" are:
𝗗𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗟𝗢𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚:
@ProFootballTalk
is getting “very credible indications” that Kirk Cousins is planning to move his family from Minnesota to Atlanta.

This would obviously mean he’s planning on signing with the #Falcons when FA opens.

“We can’t get into the specifics, for now. But we’re getting very credible indications that Cousins is seriously considering moving his family to Atlanta. Which would mean, obviously, that he’d be signing with the Falcons.”
For whatever that's worth right now.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:09 pm We're taking a QB this year and Kirk is likely gone.
I'm beginning to think Atlanta is going to "make him an offer he can't refuse". The "rumors" are:
𝗗𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗟𝗢𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚:
@ProFootballTalk
is getting “very credible indications” that Kirk Cousins is planning to move his family from Minnesota to Atlanta.

This would obviously mean he’s planning on signing with the #Falcons when FA opens.

“We can’t get into the specifics, for now. But we’re getting very credible indications that Cousins is seriously considering moving his family to Atlanta. Which would mean, obviously, that he’d be signing with the Falcons.”
So much for being in position for a home town discount. Always liked Kirk but that would kind of rub me the wrong way if he leaves. Sure, it’s his right to get whatever he can in free agency, that’s fine. Just don’t elude to taking a discount then don’t.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 am

So much for being in position for a home town discount. Always liked Kirk but that would kind of rub me the wrong way if he leaves. Sure, it’s his right to get whatever he can in free agency, that’s fine. Just don’t elude to taking a discount then don’t.
He said it was more about structure than dollars, not about taking less money just because it's the Vikings. The media labeled it a "hometown discount" and has kept saying it over and over but Kirk has never remotely agreed to it. My guess is that Atlanta's offer was comparable but they're willing to guarantee it all.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/kir ... nt-vikings
So, would Cousins consider taking a "hometown discount" and signing with the Vikings for less than another team might offer? Maybe. But maybe not.

"(That's a question) I’ve thought about pretty much my whole 12 years," Cousins said during locker clean out day on Monday. "I do think it’s important to be aware of. I think God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage in my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about.

"I had a coach who I was with, who was a younger coach at the time, this was back eight, nine years ago, before my first franchise tag, and we were talking about the situation and he made a great comment and he said, 'Kirk, it’s not about the dollars, but it is about what the dollars represent.' There will always be some of that, but at today’s point, structure is probably more important."

Structure, Cousins said, refers to "everything that isn’t the dollars." As for what he meant by "what the dollars represent," he declined to elaborate. "I think it's inherent," Cousins said. "When the coach said it to me, I didn’t really need it explained to me. I understood what he meant in that moment when he said that."

In other words, Cousins acknowledged that money isn't everything at this stage of his career, but also made it clear that money still carries weight and meaning. Presumably, he wants to be compensated on a level that recognizes what he's accomplished in the NFL and how well he played this season, even if there will be more factors that go into his decision than simply the size of the contract offer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

To get any of the top 3 QBs in this year's draft will require a move up to at least the 3rd pick. I don't know what it will cost to make that move but it won't be cheap and will likely dramatically impact the rest of the draft this coming year and possibly the next draft as well. If KAM does that he'd better be as sure as a GM can be that the guy he makes a move like that is worth it, because if it doesn't work out he will be out of a job quickly and probably won't get another offer to be an NFL GM anywhere else.

As for the Cousins rumors, I take them with a grain of salt for now.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:01 pm To get any of the top 3 QBs in this year's draft will require a move up to at least the 3rd pick. I don't know what it will cost to make that move but it won't be cheap and will likely dramatically impact the rest of the draft this coming year and possibly the next draft as well. If KAM does that he'd better be as sure as a GM can be that the guy he makes a move like that is worth it, because if it doesn't work out he will be out of a job quickly and probably won't get another offer to be an NFL GM anywhere else.

Supposedly they love Maye. I don't think it's worth moving up for a QB or drafting one at 11 based on what I've read/seen of the top guys. At that point I'd be ok taking Pratt or Milton in the mid rounds and maybe trading for Mac Jones or Zack Wilson. If Russ would take vet minimum I'd bring him in for a year. This is all assuming Kirk is gone.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:30 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:01 pm To get any of the top 3 QBs in this year's draft will require a move up to at least the 3rd pick. I don't know what it will cost to make that move but it won't be cheap and will likely dramatically impact the rest of the draft this coming year and possibly the next draft as well. If KAM does that he'd better be as sure as a GM can be that the guy he makes a move like that is worth it, because if it doesn't work out he will be out of a job quickly and probably won't get another offer to be an NFL GM anywhere else.

Supposedly they love Maye. I don't think it's worth moving up for a QB or drafting one at 11 based on what I've read/seen of the top guys. At that point I'd be ok taking Pratt or Milton in the mid rounds and maybe trading for Mac Jones or Zack Wilson. If Russ would take vet minimum I'd bring him in for a year. This is all assuming Kirk is gone.
I agree with most of what you posted. I wouldn't touch Russ and his team 3 stuff for anything. He's a media darling who was carried to a SB victory by the LOB. Yes he contributed with a drop back one look and then go style. Jones and Wilson 2 more 1st round bust. I liked Jones when he fell to us but after a promising rookie year he sucks. Wilson? Never did a dam thing. I don't think Kirk is leaving. Home town discounts don't exists. When Cousins was franchised twice nobody cared. Who knows how much he missed out on. KAM as usual screwed this up. A deal could have been down a few seasons ago. The price keeps going up. We are still dealing with his 13 million prove it guy Davenport salary. Who ever heard of that?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If Cousins does go to the Falcons at least they won't be taking a QB in the 1st, which makes it likely if any of the top 3 QBs were to make it past the 3rd pick there is a pretty good chance that QB might be on the board when pick 11 rolls around.

Of course, the Bears could play spoiler in that scenario with the 9th pick, which might be more reasonable for a QB needy team currently sitting below the Vikings to make a move up and snag said falling QB prospect. It would make for a very interesting draft at that point.

I think the chances of any of the top 3 QB prospects in this year's draft falling is around 5% at this point, but if there is a potential bright side of Cousins signing with Atlanta, that would be it.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think that the McCown hire is a good signing. Should improve that side of the ball.
Just as the Flores signing was on the defense.
They seem to be improving their staff.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:15 pm I think that the McCown hire is a good signing. Should improve that side of the ball.
I like it when a team hires an actual NFL quarterback to be its quarterback coach.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:51 am
halfgiz wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:15 pm I think that the McCown hire is a good signing. Should improve that side of the ball.
I like it when a team hires an actual NFL quarterback to be its quarterback coach.
And now we really need one.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Josh McCown: The Sky Is the Limit for Sam Darnold in Year Two Jul 28, 2019. I wonder what the limit is now for slinging Sam? The QB trolley has just left the dock and they are hopping on. I guess no arm Nick is finished. Hall is in a 4 year guaranteed roster spot because he was a pick so he's safe for 3 more years unless a new coach comes in and then the cut will come.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

Frickin' Josh McCown....Week 17, 2003: McCown to Poole for a 20 something yard TD at 0:00 in the 4th qtr. Poole out of bounds but the refs rule it a force out. Vikes lose 18-17 & lose the division & playoff spot to the Packers.

Which raises the question. Am I a Vikings' fan because I'm a cynical bastard? Or am I a cynical bastard because I'm a Vikings' fan?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:45 am Frickin' Josh McCown....Week 17, 2003: McCown to Poole for a 20 something yard TD at 0:00 in the 4th qtr. Poole out of bounds but the refs rule it a force out. Vikes lose 18-17 & lose the division & playoff spot to the Packers.

Which raises the question. Am I a Vikings' fan because I'm a cynical bastard? Or am I a cynical bastard because I'm a Vikings' fan?
Since we are born Vikings fans, I think you're a cynical bastard because you're a Vikings fan... :lol:

The way I figure it, karma owes us big, and McCown ending up helping to develop the league's next great franchise QB would be just about the right payment amount.

:smilevike: :govikes: