2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:59 pm https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethe ... am-darnold

I think we have an agreement in place to move up to number 3 if Maye is on the board. I really like Maye however he will need time to learn how to read defenses and clean up his mechanics. He would be well suited to sit a year to tighten things up before being expected to start.

Another issue is if it takes this year's two 1st rounders and next year's 1st rounder that would leave us with no second round pick this year and no picks in the top two rounds next year. I think we are likely to have a very high first round pick next year so that will be a tough pill to swallow. That will put pressure on the organization to play Maye early and he had better look great. That's a big ask.

Everyone says we are set to have a ton of cap next year but that's before paying JJ and Darrisaw. Watch how quicky that spare change goes away. With that said I could stomach a trade up for Maye. A trade up for McCarthy would be a huge mistake though.
What I highlighted is something I think they all need to go through. Of course the time frame will be different for every player. I have no idea who will be the best QB from this class. I have my favorites and guys I wouldn't touch just like everybody else. Like every year there are a bunch in the 1st round and they won't all be great starters. It never has been or will be that easy. Your right about the cap because it can disappear in a heart beat. I think McCarthy looks good from the highlights I have seen. He made some tough throws to receivers that weren't wide open. Plus he took some big hits while doing it. On the other hand Caleb's highlights the guys are wide open. Anybody can make those throws and his backup showed that in their bowl game. I'm no GM but I get worried looking at KAM's 2 draft track record. Not exactly top shelf so will that continue? Hopefully it don't.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:27 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:59 pm https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethe ... am-darnold

I think we have an agreement in place to move up to number 3 if Maye is on the board. I really like Maye however he will need time to learn how to read defenses and clean up his mechanics. He would be well suited to sit a year to tighten things up before being expected to start.

Another issue is if it takes this year's two 1st rounders and next year's 1st rounder that would leave us with no second round pick this year and no picks in the top two rounds next year. I think we are likely to have a very high first round pick next year so that will be a tough pill to swallow. That will put pressure on the organization to play Maye early and he had better look great. That's a big ask.

Everyone says we are set to have a ton of cap next year but that's before paying JJ and Darrisaw. Watch how quicky that spare change goes away. With that said I could stomach a trade up for Maye. A trade up for McCarthy would be a huge mistake though.
What I highlighted is something I think they all need to go through. Of course the time frame will be different for every player. I have no idea who will be the best QB from this class. I have my favorites and guys I wouldn't touch just like everybody else. Like every year there are a bunch in the 1st round and they won't all be great starters. It never has been or will be that easy. Your right about the cap because it can disappear in a heart beat. I think McCarthy looks good from the highlights I have seen. He made some tough throws to receivers that weren't wide open. Plus he took some big hits while doing it. On the other hand Caleb's highlights the guys are wide open. Anybody can make those throws and his backup showed that in their bowl game. I'm no GM but I get worried looking at KAM's 2 draft track record. Not exactly top shelf so will that continue? Hopefully it don't.
True none on them are perfect. I wouldn't draft Penix at all due to his injury history.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Williams, Daniel's, Nix and McCarthy are probably the first four picks. Maye also gone before 11. Penix I think would be there at 11 or 23.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

When it comes to teams ahead of us taking a QB the Giants don't scare me at all. I don't buy them drafting a QB this year and eating the remainder of Daniel Jones's contract. Not going to happen.
Edit: It has been brought to my attention that Jones's deal is really only 2 years so they would only have to eat this years more or less. I take back my no concern about the Giants comment.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:31 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:40 pm

I do not understand the hype around JJM. He does NOT pass the eye test, nor do his stats. Serviceable, yes… even effective you could say. But anything spectacular about him to warrant his skyrocket up the draft boards?

Penix, on the other hand, throws the sharpest passes Ive seen in years. Hits his receivers in stride, good pocket navigation. The only thing I can think of for the hype around JJM is the national championship. But Michigan won WITH him, Washington was there BECAUSE OF Penix. To be clear, I’m high on Maye and Daniels too.

Id trade every pick this year and next if it meant this year we came out with Odunze, Penix, Sweat and Fiske.
How can anyone see the hype around Caleb. He fell apart in games. Daniels sucked every year but his last. He's pencil thin and running against the bigger faster guys in the NFL is much harder than a bunch of nothings. Look at the ages of the players also. JJM is younger. JJM more than likely will never amount to much just like the rest of them. But if a team in the top 10 likes him is it worth the risk and let him slid by? This year seems to be loaded with great ones. After 3 years it will look much different when only 1 is a good starter and the rest are thrown away or traded for nothing. Penix had a game with a CMP% of 46.4 his team still won so they helped him also. He was below 60% in others also. That's a problem.

JJM also had games below 60% comp percentage, including the national championship. And also, it’s much easier to have an artificially high comp percentage when you only throw 22 passes per game (JJM) vs 37 passes per game (Penix).
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:31 pm Penix had a game with a CMP% of 46.4 his team still won so they helped him also. He was below 60% in others also. That's a problem.
Everything, including the stat you cite, has to be taken in context, ranging from the quality of the opponent to key injuries to the situation in a particular game. Just plucking a raw stat like this does indicate there was a problem, sure, but it doesn't tell you what the actual problem was. If you don't go further than just saying Player X's completion percentage in one of his games was 46% and conclude only that because it was so low Player X isn't all that great, I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

Put another way, I can point to multiple games where AD was held under 50 yards rushing as a pro. Or games where Randy Moss barely caught a pass. Does that mean either of those players wasn't as good as advertised?

I still think Penix will ultimately be one of the two QBs from this year's draft class that goes on to have a notable pro career (the other being Williams). Williams will have to prove he has the leadership skills and isn't going to be selfish and self-centered as a pro, while Penix needs the right situation and to stay healthy.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:27 am I think McCarthy looks good from the highlights I have seen. He made some tough throws to receivers that weren't wide open. Plus he took some big hits while doing it.
If I were drafting McCarthy in the 1st round with what he's put on tape to this point I'd have to talk myself into his ability to develop his post-snap processing speed and timing, because if that doesn't develop he's simply not an overpowering athlete in terms of arm strength, size, or even his ability to scramble and run. He's a pretty average athlete at the QB position, so if he's going to excel it will have to be with his recognition skills, timing and accuracy. Guys who possess those skills can have a lot of success as pros for sure. Tom Brady in particular comes to mind, and Brock Purdy is a more recent example of a guy who didn't wow athletically who has managed to thrive by doing other things really well.

McCarthy is just a big risk. If he can't develop those other skills for any reason he's going to be at best a journeyman QB as a pro.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:57 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:27 am I think McCarthy looks good from the highlights I have seen. He made some tough throws to receivers that weren't wide open. Plus he took some big hits while doing it.
If I were drafting McCarthy in the 1st round with what he's put on tape to this point I'd have to talk myself into…
Oh I’m gonna have to talk myself in to A LOT to get me excited about the next few years if/WHEN Kwesi trades up to 5 (mortgages the future) to get a QB who was a game manager EVEN at the college level. But I will talk myself in to it… I roll with purple shades on no matter what. If JJM becomes a Viking, then I’ll root for him like crazy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:18 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:57 pm

If I were drafting McCarthy in the 1st round with what he's put on tape to this point I'd have to talk myself into…
Oh I’m gonna have to talk myself in to A LOT to get me excited about the next few years if/WHEN Kwesi trades up to 5 (mortgages the future) to get a QB who was a game manager EVEN at the college level. But I will talk myself in to it… I roll with purple shades on no matter what. If JJM becomes a Viking, then I’ll root for him like crazy.
I can live with us picking him at 11, but trading up to 5? Really?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Supply and demand is going to dictate where we pick at.
You also never know what Kam/KOC is going to do...
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:49 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:31 pm Penix had a game with a CMP% of 46.4 his team still won so they helped him also. He was below 60% in others also. That's a problem.
Everything, including the stat you cite, has to be taken in context, ranging from the quality of the opponent to key injuries to the situation in a particular game. Just plucking a raw stat like this does indicate there was a problem, sure, but it doesn't tell you what the actual problem was. If you don't go further than just saying Player X's completion percentage in one of his games was 46% and conclude only that because it was so low Player X isn't all that great, I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

Put another way, I can point to multiple games where AD was held under 50 yards rushing as a pro. Or games where Randy Moss barely caught a pass. Does that mean either of those players wasn't as good as advertised?

I still think Penix will ultimately be one of the two QBs from this year's draft class that goes on to have a notable pro career (the other being Williams). Williams will have to prove he has the leadership skills and isn't going to be selfish and self-centered as a pro, while Penix needs the right situation and to stay healthy.
Your right I didn't check the lineups or watch every single throw. My response was basically the fact that it was posted McCarthy was carried to the championship by the team and all he did was manage it. Washington was there because of Penix. I pointed out his crappy game and they still won somehow. I don't watch college ball but to make the championship I assume you need a complete team unless it's based on some type of poll. Last guy I suggested we pick who was projected top 5 by some and won the championship was Jones and he's basically another Case Keenum. I have no idea who will amount to anything from this class. Williams was posted on this board during the season and his team fell apart right after that starting with Notre Dame. If he's as good as advertised then the Bears will be a lock for a SB victory within his initial contract. I will give the Bears GM a ton of credit for how he has handled the draft. To be sitting there with the 1st overall pick acquired by trade is a great job. That's how teams are built through the draft. Now he needs to hit on the pick providing there is a guy that has all the skills needed and a team around him that can perform at a high level when it's win or go home time. The player I saw Penix compared to is Levis. Both have monster arms but both also have trouble putting touch on the ball. Our team needs to hit or we will be back in that never ending cycle for us of picking QB after QB and hoping the guy turns out to be great. Hoping don't work.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm ok with moving up to take Maye. Moving up for JJ would be a huge mistake that would likely get everyone fired in a few years. His ceiling is Tua/ Alex Smith and his floor is Jimmy Clausen. That's not a guy you give up 4 potential impact starters to go get. It's also a guy you will end up paying like an elite QB eventually when he's actually mid. He will put up serviceable stats with JJ and Addison to throw to then ask for the moon. This is what happens when you don't put serious effort in to drafting and developing QBs. The Packers get it. They draft them well in advance thus not having to reach or give up huge assets to do it all while letting them develop. The Lions last year took Hendon Hooker so they have a guy with starting potential when Goff's deal is up. We meanwhile wait until it's desperation mode then give up a haul to get the 4th or 6th ranked guy in the class without elite attributes or much tape to lean on. Taking a flyer on guys late like Hall isn't good enough and leaves you scrambling when the :hitfan:
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 am Supply and demand is going to dictate where we pick at.
You also never know what Kam/KOC is going to do...
The whole world thinks they know what KAM/KOC are going to do. I hope they throw a curveball.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:11 am I'm ok with moving up to take Maye. Moving up for JJ would be a huge mistake that would likely get everyone fired in a few years. His ceiling is Tua/ Alex Smith and his floor is Jimmy Clausen. That's not a guy you give up 4 potential impact starters to go get. It's also a guy you will end up paying like an elite QB eventually when he's actually mid. He will put up serviceable stats with JJ and Addison to throw to then ask for the moon. This is what happens when you don't put serious effort in to drafting and developing QBs. The Packers get it. They draft them well in advance thus not having to reach or give up huge assets to do it all while letting them develop. The Lions last year took Hendon Hooker so they have a guy with starting potential when Goff's deal is up. We meanwhile wait until it's desperation mode then give up a haul to get the 4th or 6th ranked guy in the class without elite attributes or much tape to lean on. Taking a flyer on guys late like Hall isn't good enough and leaves you scrambling when the :hitfan:
I don't think the current Pukers QB Love will amount to anything.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:54 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:11 am I'm ok with moving up to take Maye. Moving up for JJ would be a huge mistake that would likely get everyone fired in a few years. His ceiling is Tua/ Alex Smith and his floor is Jimmy Clausen. That's not a guy you give up 4 potential impact starters to go get. It's also a guy you will end up paying like an elite QB eventually when he's actually mid. He will put up serviceable stats with JJ and Addison to throw to then ask for the moon. This is what happens when you don't put serious effort in to drafting and developing QBs. The Packers get it. They draft them well in advance thus not having to reach or give up huge assets to do it all while letting them develop. The Lions last year took Hendon Hooker so they have a guy with starting potential when Goff's deal is up. We meanwhile wait until it's desperation mode then give up a haul to get the 4th or 6th ranked guy in the class without elite attributes or much tape to lean on. Taking a flyer on guys late like Hall isn't good enough and leaves you scrambling when the :hitfan:
I don't think the current Pukers QB Love will amount to anything.
I think he had a great season last year and is only 25 with coaching continuity. He started every game, threw for 4,100 yards 32 TDs 11 Ints, ran for about 250, had a perfect passer rating on the road in Dallas to upset the Cowboys in their home. The Vikings are hoping with everything they have that whoever they draft this year will be on Love's level.
mael·strom