2024 Free Agents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Alaskan
Starter

Re: 2024 Free Agents

Post by Alaskan »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:27 am
Alaskan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:13 am

Or include JJ and a combination of picks.
That's an interesting proposal.
IMO now is the perfect time to move on from JJ. He is never going to be worth more than he is right now. And it will free up even more cap space going forward to sign more young FA talent while your franchise guy is on a rookie deal and developing. Break the bank WR are fun to watch and the argument can be made they are vital to the development of a young QB. But at the end of the day, the key piece of the puzzle is the QB. The right QB with the right coach in the right system elevates the play of everyone on the offense. Including average WR’s. Look no further than CJ Stroud. If the team believes they have their guy out there, go all out to get him! Roll the dice. Don’t go half #### and settle for second. This fan base has had enough of that. That’s my opinion. Might not be popular, but it’s mine.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I am a proponent of moving up if you've identified your guy. Four first is too much imho. That type of trade rarely works well for the time giving up that much.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am
Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:45 am

I wish that were true but I don't think so. Not because they won't try, but because they won't have a partner. Bears probably wouldn't trade to the Vikings to begin with. Commanders signed Mariota to a 1 year deal and it seems to me they're planning to groom a QB behind him. NE traded away Mac Jones and is going to need a new QB too. I don't see any of them making the trade.
That's the challenge.

2024 1st
2024 2nd
2025 1st
2025 2nd
2026 1st
2027 1st

Probably take something like that. Or one of those teams liking a qb likely available at 11 and still able to collect a haul to drop down.
What would the Vikings be giving up ALLLLLLLLLL of that for? :shock: :shock: :shock:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Angels Wings wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:56 am

That's the challenge.

2024 1st
2024 2nd
2025 1st
2025 2nd
2026 1st
2027 1st

Probably take something like that. Or one of those teams liking a qb likely available at 11 and still able to collect a haul to drop down.
What would the Vikings be giving up ALLLLLLLLLL of that for? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Are 1st and 2nd rounders really that valuable if you don’t have the Priority 1 missing piece to the puzzle? Quality coaching, tenure of said coaching staff, continuity in the system’s put in place by the coaching staff and drafting and signing FA players that fit those systems are far more important than draft position IMO. A little research on the analytics of draft bust rates will show you that. It’s not to say that 1st and 2nds aren’t more valuable than 6th’s and 7ths, but as it relates to getting your franchise QB it is a no brainer. If you think you have your guy in this draft……go get him! Don’t settle. What have they got to lose by not going after him? More mediocrity?……..because that’s where this franchise has been stuck
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

That's the challenge.

2024 1st
2024 2nd
2025 1st
2025 2nd
2026 1st
2027 1st

Whichever QB prospect they see as a transcendent talent?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Alaskan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:54 pm

Are 1st and 2nd rounders really that valuable if you don’t have the Priority 1 missing piece to the puzzle? Quality coaching, tenure of said coaching staff, continuity in the system’s put in place by the coaching staff and drafting and signing FA players that fit those systems are far more important than draft position IMO. A little research on the analytics of draft bust rates will show you that. It’s not to say that 1st and 2nds aren’t more valuable than 6th’s and 7ths, but as it relates to getting your franchise QB it is a no brainer. If you think you have your guy in this draft……go get him! Don’t settle. What have they got to lose by not going after him? More mediocrity?……..because that’s where this franchise has been stuck
Unless the Vikings expect to tank and grab a qb with a top 2-3 pick next year, they have to do something.

3-4 1st round picks for your franchise QB is a small price to pay...you just can't whiff on the pick.

I expect the Vikings will do what it takes to move up for their top guy if he is available at 2-3, pretty much whatever the cost.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

I'm also old enough to remember the Herschell Walker trade, the Ricky Williams trade and as recently as the Bryce Young trade which now has the Bears with another #1 pick. Someone even mentioned JJ AND picks; what?!!!!
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Expect this year's 1st round selection to be the last 1st round selection the vikings will have until 2027 or 2028.

I understand the hesitation, but the Vikings are competing for exactly bupkis over the next several years on their current trajectory. they can keep their assets and tank away this season, or they can make a move now and give themselves a window that they are building toward in 4-5 years. There was also a case to be made for keeping Cousins but that ship has sailed.

I think if they don't make a move at this point KOC and Kwesi are on the hot seat next year. They might not even get to make the pick their tanking earned them the right to make.

Don't be shocked when they give up the farm to get Daniel's of Nix or whoever they like at 2 or 3, which buys them both 2-3 years to see it all through.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Angels Wings wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:49 pm

I'm also old enough to remember the Herschell Walker trade, the Ricky Williams trade and as recently as the Bryce Young trade which now has the Bears with another #1 pick. Someone even mentioned JJ AND picks; what?!!!!
I think you missed the point
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:36 am

That's the challenge.

2024 1st
2024 2nd
2025 1st
2025 2nd
2026 1st
2027 1st

There's no way they drop 4 1st rounders.
Agree. Giving Cousins the deal Atlanta gave him would be far cheaper than giving up essentially the future of the franchise for a wild swing at a QB in this year's draft.

If the Vikings were to do the above even to get Caleb Williams KAM should be fired and sued in a class action lawsuit by fans of the team. It would be absolutely criminal to do that.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think the Vikings should sit tight and draft a defensive player at pick 11. Either that or move down and draft an offensive lineman. I don't value and of the QBs this year highly enough to give up picks or take at 11.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:00 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:36 am

There's no way they drop 4 1st rounders.
Agree. Giving Cousins the deal Atlanta gave him would be far cheaper than giving up essentially the future of the franchise for a wild swing at a QB in this year's draft.

If the Vikings were to do the above even to get Caleb Williams KAM should be fired and sued in a class action lawsuit by fans of the team. It would be absolutely criminal to do that.
I guess I don’t follow that train of thought. If you look back at the Vikings last 20 first and second rounders. Pick the best 6 and then tell me you wouldn’t give them up to have a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years Personally, I am in the fandom of this team for a championship and/or a dynasty at this point. To ME anything less we might as well win zero games. That’s my train of thought. I am tired of all the patched together mediocre teams the Vikings consistently put out there. Without the franchise guy, the chances of winning a championship are near zero, and that is a fact.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Alaskan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:00 pm

I guess I don’t follow that train of thought. If you look back at the Vikings last 20 first and second rounders. Pick the best 6 and then tell me you wouldn’t give them up to have a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years Personally, I am in the fandom of this team for a championship and/or a dynasty at this point. To ME anything less we might as well win zero games. That’s my train of thought. I am tired of all the patched together mediocre teams the Vikings consistently put out there. Without the franchise guy, the chances of winning a championship are near zero, and that is a fact.
I'd frame it this way, it isn't "a franchise qb". It's the opportunity to try and swing for one. Absolutely no guarantee.

They miss and I suspect most fans would be livid in that scenario. And they lose their jobs.

It's about how confident THEY are if they think they can get a franchise qb.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

makila wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:36 pm

I'd frame it this way, it isn't "a franchise qb". It's the opportunity to try and swing for one. Absolutely no guarantee.

They miss and I suspect most fans would be livid in that scenario. And they lose their jobs.

Agreed. They are in a great position to take a swing. If they miss, they get fired. I get the sense they feel like they have found their guy. Never gonna know unless you take the swing…….
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

makila wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:36 pm

It's not really that big of a risk.

If they don't draft a franchise qb they aren't winning a championship and they will soon be fired.

If they risk it all and select a qb who is a dud they aren't winning a championship and they will soon be fired.

The only way they keep their jobs at this point is by taking the swing, especially after now letting Kirk walk. Fans might be bummed, but the viking will either trade the farm to get their guy around 2-3 or reach at 11 for whatever is left.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins