2024 Free Agents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2024 Free Agents

Post by Angels Wings »

Love the Vikings brass decided that their M.O was to bolster the defense which is a good thing. Was hoping that they would have addressed corner and secondary, but I like the moves that they've made so far.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I know Ginkel is a good player because I watched him last year. The Texans guys I'm unfamiliar with but they sound like solid up and coming players. We're a defensive team now guys :lol:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:05 pm
allday1991 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:01 pm 4 years 180 million, 50 million signing bonus, 100 million guaranteed. Way way to much.
Remember, with Kirk, it's not about the $$$ /s
:?

I don't really blame the guy, but don't say one thing, and do the other...
I wonder if Cousins will come to regret his move to Atlanta in time.

Apart from that, though, I was always taught growing up to look at what people have done and not listen to what they say as the best way to predict what they will do in the future, and while I wanted to believe that Kirk would value some aspect of what he had with the Vikings at this point in his career, the fact remains that every move he's made has been first and foremost about his bottom line to this point. I think that comes across too in terms of an ability to lead within a team. Guys who are "me-first" can be very talented, but when the chips are down and self sacrifice needs to be made, those guys inevitably falter both because they are not willing to go that extra mile for their teammates, and because their teammates likely will not do it for them. There are extreme and obvious examples of guys like that (Geoff George comes to mind immediately), but more subtle ones too like Kirk. I think when you look at a guy's record in the playoffs, a time when those kinds of things can be, and often are, the difference between winning and losing, you see an indication of where he falls on the leadership/self-sacrifice spectrum.

Now the real work of rebuilding the Vikings can begin in earnest. This "competitive rebuild" nonsense has finally come to an end and while it might initially be painful, at least there is hope the Vikings can now move on and find a QB who can actually lead the team where they want to go. I just hope KAM and KOC don't get desperate and pull a "Ponder" at #11 in this year's draft. Yes, the need to move forward at QB is acute. No, taking a wild and hopeful swing at addressing it high in the draft solely for that reason is not necessary.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Angels Wings wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:27 pm 4years 180 million for Cousins? No thank you.

Oh and we signed LB Andrew Van Ginkel to a 2 year, 20 Million dollar deal.
I beat you to that 5 posts ago. :govikes:
Amazing that we signed 3 starting defenders day one of FA.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:01 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:27 pm 4years 180 million for Cousins? No thank you.

Oh and we signed LB Andrew Van Ginkel to a 2 year, 20 Million dollar deal.
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm surprised that the Vikings went defensive in free agency as well. Not that I hate it, but surprising nonetheless. :govikes:
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Free agent defensive players mostly could mean packaging picks to move up maybe. I have no idea really don’t have kewsi figured out
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Angels Wings wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:55 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:01 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised that the Vikings went defensive in free agency as well. Not that I hate it, but surprising nonetheless. :govikes:
I'm not surprised that we went D. I'm surprised by the quantity and quality. Now we're very likely to make the mistake of trading up in the draft for a mediocre QB.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Raz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:11 pm Free agent defensive players mostly could mean packaging picks to move up maybe. I have no idea really don’t have kewsi figured out
Yep. I'm expecting us to panic and move up in the draft to get a player we could have got at 11 anyway.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:15 pm

Apart from that, though, I was always taught growing up to look at what people have done and not listen to what they say as the best way to predict what they will do in the future, and while I wanted to believe that Kirk would value some aspect of what he had with the Vikings at this point in his career, the fact remains that every move he's made has been first and foremost about his bottom line to this point. I think that comes across too in terms of an ability to lead within a team. Guys who are "me-first" can be very talented, but when the chips are down and self sacrifice needs to be made, those guys inevitably falter both because they are not willing to go that extra mile for their teammates, and because their teammates likely will not do it for them. There are extreme and obvious examples of guys like that (Geoff George comes to mind immediately), but more subtle ones too like Kirk. I think when you look at a guy's record in the playoffs, a time when those kinds of things can be, and often are, the difference between winning and losing, you see an indication of where he falls on the leadership/self-sacrifice spectrum.

Now the real work of rebuilding the Vikings can begin in earnest. This "competitive rebuild" nonsense has finally come to an end and while it might initially be painful, at least there is hope the Vikings can now move on and find a QB who can actually lead the team where they want to go. I just hope KAM and KOC don't get desperate and pull a "Ponder" at #11 in this year's draft. Yes, the need to move forward at QB is acute. No, taking a wild and hopeful swing at addressing it high in the draft solely for that reason is not necessary.
Kirk would have probably given the Vikings a bit of a discount, but almost nobody would have given as much of a discount as Kirk would have had to make to stay with us. Also last season he offered a 2 year extension at $75 million total to the Vikings and Vikings management/Kwesi turned him down.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:11 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:55 pm

I'm not surprised that we went D. I'm surprised by the quantity and quality. Now we're very likely to make the mistake of trading up in the draft for a mediocre QB.

Secondary and corner also needs to be addressed in my opinion. Was hoping they picked up a running back, but I guess they're going to draft one in the later rounds. Wouldn't be surprised if they go Nix or Mays with that pick, but maybe they also go OL with that pick as well. I would say Pennix in round 2, but who knows? He might slip even further than that.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I heard that 2 year for 75 million offer came from a fake account. Do you have proof it came from a legitimate account?
I also hear Hicks is heading to the Browns.
Rumor Vikings have interest in Arron Jones who the Packers just released.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Rumor Vikings have made an offer to Darnold. I think he has been around long enough to demonstrate he's no more than a journeyman. I suppose he could fill in until they find their guy, hopefully with the 11th pick this year, and then let that guy germinate for a few weeks on the bench.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2024/3/1 ... nd-broncos
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

cogitator wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:47 pm Rumor Vikings have made an offer to Darnold. I think he has been around long enough to demonstrate he's no more than a journeyman. I suppose he could fill in until they find their guy, hopefully with the 11th pick this year, and then let that guy germinate for a few weeks on the bench.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2024/3/1 ... nd-broncos
:puke:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:13 pm

That’s the part that got me. Kirk said the only think missing from his trophy room was a Super Bowl, with his age, injury and learning a new offence I can safely say the chances of that have extremely dropped. But like you said, they often say one thing and do another and money seems to be more important than winning for him.
Atlanta has a better core team than us. They had better odds than us for the SB prior to the deal. I highly doubt either team will make the SB. I think the Falcons win the division and then get bounced once in. No player will ever say I don't give a crap about the SB. That's not good marketing. But the Panther's who have very little if any chance still fill out the roster for some reason. Money? Kirk got more money and a better shot at the SB. I think the national championship is also missing from Kirk's trophy room. He forgot to mention that one.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:15 pm

I always liked Jeff George. He took over for Cunningham when he gave up and lead us to a 27-10 victory over Dallas in the playoffs. Then of course we got spanked 49-37 against the Rams. Everything fell apart including the ST allowing a KO return to start the 2nd half. Moss said this "If it was my choice, I'd keep him," about Jeff. What did Kirk have with us. They plug in some bum G they drafted who sucked. That's zero effort from the FO and coaching staff. Winning and losing comes down to the entire team. Kirk won the division and took us to the playoffs with one of the worst defenses we ever had. That's not easy. Every QB selected is a wild and hopeful swing. The top 3 should be great starters. It never works that way. Just look at the class Lawerance was in. Not much and even he hasn't shown greatness. Competitive rebuild was dumbos call. He forgot you have to draft well to have that type of rebuild or any rebuild. The Rams are doing it and dumped a bunch of high priced guys but kept Stafford. They can draft well. Like picking that WR who is a game breaker in round 5.