Vikings at Lions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings at Lions

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:26 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:06 pm

Richardson sucks. So lucky we got Addison instead of him.
The guy has played 4 games but whatever you say lol

It's for sure in the rumor section but enough to be picked up by sports illustrated, for example.

What gives me hope that they were willing to deal for one of the top QBs in the draft. Not waiting to see who falls (Ponder, Bridgewater ... the only 1st round QB selections after Dante Culpepper ... that's a 23 year window by the way).

That needs to change badly and I'm glad to read they at least tried to.
He's not fully guaranteed to suck forever, but so far IMO he has sucked and I believe he will continue to suck. I think Minshew is twice the QB that Richardson is. Time will tell. If I'm wrong I'll be happy for him. I wish him no ill.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:52 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:36 pm I would have liked to have AR-15 as he's the closest thing I've seen to Daunte Culpepper since Daunte himself. He may not be good but he has loads of potential and if he lives up to he he will be a one of a kind talent. That's a good investment imo. This year's crop has no one like him.

I think it's likely the Vikings will re-sign Kirk, JJ, and let Hunter walk. In which case they'll sit tight and draft someone like Dallas Turner. It will be a pretty boring ho-hum off-season most likely.
I have faith that Kirk will come back as good as ever, but due to circumstances we will get him on a bargain contract. I'm very excited for that.
How much do you think he will get per year? I'm thinking 35 million. I hope it's only for 2 years.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:54 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:52 pm
I have faith that Kirk will come back as good as ever, but due to circumstances we will get him on a bargain contract. I'm very excited for that.
How much do you think he will get per year? I'm thinking 35 million. I hope it's only for 2 years.
I'm thinking 30 Million, but sometimes NFL contracts shock me with how big they are. He's older and coming back from injury. I think his contract goes down.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:53 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:26 pm

The guy has played 4 games but whatever you say lol

It's for sure in the rumor section but enough to be picked up by sports illustrated, for example.

What gives me hope that they were willing to deal for one of the top QBs in the draft. Not waiting to see who falls (Ponder, Bridgewater ... the only 1st round QB selections after Dante Culpepper ... that's a 23 year window by the way).

That needs to change badly and I'm glad to read they at least tried to.
He's not fully guaranteed to suck forever, but so far IMO he has sucked and I believe he will continue to suck. I think Minshew is twice the QB that Richardson is. Time will tell. If I'm wrong I'll be happy for him. I wish him no ill.
After only 4 games during his rookie year I would say he has room for improvement.

My main point is the decision to do something like that. In the last 20 years the Vikings have drafted 2 QBs in round 1 and only the ones that fell (12 and 32, I believe). Aside from that, it's been high priced free agent or stop gap.

I would like to see them go after one of the top fligjt options.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I love that 4th and 1 bomb to JJ. Go Vikings.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:04 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:53 pm
After only 4 games during his rookie year I would say he has room for improvement.

My main point is the decision to do something like that. In the last 20 years the Vikings have drafted 2 QBs in round 1 and only the ones that fell (12 and 32, I believe). Aside from that, it's been high priced free agent or stop gap.

If you go for one that proves to be great it was a good move. If you go for one that doesn't it was a bad move. I'm going to be happy with them for getting it right. I'm not going to be happy with them trying and failing to get it right. The NFL isn't grade school where they hand out participation trophies. Nope, I'm not going to be happy one tiny bit with them trying to get a good QB.

Should the Carolina Panthers be applauded for trading up to #1 and drafting the wrong guy? They tried.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:22 pm

If you go for one that proves to be great it was a good move. If you go for one that doesn't it was a bad move. I'm going to be happy with them for getting it right. I'm not going to be happy with them trying and failing to get it right.
I'll be happy of they just try honestly. If KOC (the QB guru) can't pick and groom the proper QB he'll be gone soon after.

However, KOC currently has the highest winning percentage in Vikings coaching history. Do you really want another great RB or Edge Rusher that helps keep the team around 9 or 10 wins but no real shot at a superbowl?

Hitting on a QB in the draft is the quickest path to a superbowl. Going back 10 years to Russel Wilson on his rookie deal. When those QBs start getting paid their teams start to decline. They lose players like Tyreek Hill, for example.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If you go for one that proves to be great it was a good move. If you go for one that doesn't it was a bad move. I'm going to be happy with them for getting it right. I'm not going to be happy with them trying and failing to get it right.
I'll be happy of they just try honestly. If KOC (the QB guru) can't pick and groom the proper QB he'll be gone soon after.

However, KOC currently has the highest winning percentage in Vikings coaching history. Do you really want another great RB or Edge Rusher that helps keep the team around 9 or 10 wins but no real shot at a superbowl? He'll be the coach a while with those kinds of teams.

Hitting on a QB in the draft is the quickest path to a superbowl. Going back 10 years to Russel Wilson on his rookie deal. When those QBs start getting paid their teams start to decline. They lose players like Tyreek Hill, for example.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:37 pm

However, KOC currently has the highest winning percentage in Vikings coaching history. Do you really want another great RB or Edge Rusher that helps keep the team around 9 or 10 wins but no real shot at a superbowl?

Trying is worthless. As Mr Miyagi said do or do not. There is no try. You missed my update to my last post. Do you applaud the Panthers for trading up to #1 and getting it wrong? They tried.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:51 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:37 pm

Trying is worthless. As Mr Miyagi said do or do not. There is no try. You missed my update to my last post. Do you applaud the Panthers for trading up to #1 and getting it wrong? They tried.
Well, Yoda said that but I get the point.

Trying is all you get in the draft. Zero guarantees. Would the Vikings be worse off if they traded the pick they used on Cine to move up the previous year? How about when they had 3 1sts and none of them turned out to be great?

Not trading doesn't mean you're not "trying".

No, I don't blame the Panthers as an organization. I blame the specific people that got it wrong. A strategy can be good even if the execution is blundered. That's more or less the Vikings 2023 season in a nutshell.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:04 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:51 pm
Well, Yoda said that but I get the point.

Trying is all you get in the draft. Zero guarantees. Would the Vikings be worse off if they traded the pick they used on Cine to move up the previous year? How about when they had 3 1sts and none of them turned out to be great?

Not trading doesn't mean you're not "trying".

No, I don't blame the Panthers as an organization. I blame the specific people that got it wrong. A strategy can be good even if the execution is blundered. That's more or less the Vikings 2023 season in a nutshell.
This is what Miyagi said.

I knew both Miyagi and Yoda said about the same thing.

I still give the Panthers ZERO credit for what they did. If you're going to trade up to #1 you better freaking get it right.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mullens threw for 396 yards today. That's pretty freaking huge.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:39 pm Mullens threw for 396 yards today. That's pretty freaking huge.
Mullen’s isn’t the answer. But twice he has thrown for almost 400 yards.
A backup QB with not a real strong arm. We’re paying him 4.25 million a year.
I’m sure that KAM should be able to find a adequate bridge quarterback at a cheaper price. Then draft our QB of the future.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:49 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:39 pm Mullens threw for 396 yards today. That's pretty freaking huge.
Mullen’s isn’t the answer. But twice he has thrown for almost 400 yards.
A backup QB with not a real strong arm. We’re paying him 4.25 million a year.
I’m sure that KAM should be able to find a adequate bridge quarterback at a cheaper price. Then draft our QB of the future.
Kirk should be our Bridge QB if we're going to have one, but he won't be at a cheaper price. :rofl: :govikes: