Vikings acquire Dobbs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings acquire Dobbs

Post by Texas Vike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:18 pm Much better (and less expensive) trade than i thought they would get in such a short time. Dobbs should be happy, he has never been on an offense like ours.
Dobbs has been decent in AZ, surprisingly so. This was the guy I had told my brothers I was hoping they would target, but I didn't expect AZ to be open to it. Good trade.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:33 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:18 pm Much better (and less expensive) trade than i thought they would get in such a short time. Dobbs should be happy, he has never been on an offense like ours.
Dobbs has been decent in AZ, surprisingly so. This was the guy I had told my brothers I was hoping they would target, but I didn't expect AZ to be open to it. Good trade.
Didn't expect him to be available either, with Murray being hurt so much. But Arizona is tanking and would rather play Tune...whoever that is.
If he plays decent for the remainder of the year we need to extend him. Starter waiting for a rookie to be ready or backup (waaay better backup than who we have).
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Angels Wings wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:27 pm Wasn't expecting them to go for a big name at QB, so it's not like I'm here furious at the move. Serviceable QB for the team given the unfortunate circumstance of losing Cousins.

Does beg the question of what the team is going to do at QB come the offseason. Do they re-sign. Cousins or do they draft one?
Supposed to be a good QB class coming out of college this year, so if they aren't all snapped up by the time the Vikings draft, I'd think they'd want to draft one of them. They could do both - sign Cousins and draft someone, coming off an achilles at his age, that doesn't seem promising, maybe he can be had for cheap.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:39 pm
Didn't expect him to be available either, with Murray being hurt so much. But Arizona is tanking and would rather play Tune...whoever that is.
If he plays decent for the remainder of the year we need to extend him. Starter waiting for a rookie to be ready or backup (waaay better backup than who we have).
Murray is off IR and supposedly nearly ready to play, that probably made Dobbs expendable. As someone said earlier in this thread, they basically got him for free, really no risk for the Vikings in making the trade. You'd think a starting qb (even lower level) would get more than a swap of draft picks.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Cliff wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:31 pm
allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:00 pm Do we think this is cause Hall looked bad in practice or is more of a safety measure incase he looks bad Sunday? :confused:
We literally didn't have a QB behind Hall. They had to bring on somebody.
Yup this. We simply needed some depth, especially this week with Mullens still on IR. We had Hall and Mannion on PS, that was it. Hall and Dobbs active this weekend I'd guess, with Mannion as third emergency. Think koc has already said they are prepping Hall to start this weekend.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:00 pm Do we think this is cause Hall looked bad in practice or is more of a safety measure incase he looks bad Sunday? :confused:
Think it is insurance that Mannion doesn’t end up starting. :whistle:
Overall not a bad trade. Hall & Dobbs should let KOC change the offense some. Both have similar strengths. Mobile QB’s
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Dobbs is who Hall can be in a year or two (which is why it would be nice to extend Dobbs), but Dobbs needs to be starting ASAP!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

halfgiz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:56 pm
Think it is insurance that Mannion doesn’t end up starting. :whistle:
Overall not a bad trade. Hall & Dobbs should let KOC change the offense some. Both have similar strengths. Mobile QB’s
Which begs the question why do we continue to give Mannion money and a practice squad spot? Just snap it to the RB at that point.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Wait a minute. We signed comedian Tom Dobbs, from the movie Man of the Year?

Seriously, I wish I knew more about him. What I do know is that statistically, Dobbs is now QB2 in the division now that Kirk is down, since Dobbs' numbers are better than both Love's and Fields'. :lol:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Dobbs is a decent veteran journeyman option at QB, especially under these circumstances. I think the Vikings had to make this move because Mullens is on IR. If he weren't they'd be OK putting Mullens in.

I personally hope that Hall gets his shot. Neither Dobbs nor Mullens are the future at QB. Hall probably isn't either but he's young and at least could have a future if he shows he can step up and perform. There is precedent for rookie QBs taking the reigns and doing well when a veteran starter goes down with an injury, and I hope Hall gets the chance to be the next example in that line. Hall has the mobility needed to get the job done. He's got the arm as well. If he can conduct himself with confidence and read the field, he's in a great overall situation with the receivers and supporting cast he has around him. Here's hoping KOC gives him that chance and, with all due respect to Josh Dobbs and Nate Mullens, we never see either of them have to throw a pass as a Viking other than perhaps in garbage time when the Vikes are up by 28 in the 4th.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:14 pm Dobbs is a decent veteran journeyman option at QB, especially under these circumstances. I think the Vikings had to make this move because Mullens is on IR. If he weren't they'd be OK putting Mullens in.

I personally hope that Hall gets his shot. Neither Dobbs nor Mullens are the future at QB. Hall probably isn't either but he's young and at least could have a future if he shows he can step up and perform. There is precedent for rookie QBs taking the reigns and doing well when a veteran starter goes down with an injury, and I hope Hall gets the chance to be the next example in that line. Hall has the mobility needed to get the job done. He's got the arm as well. If he can conduct himself with confidence and read the field, he's in a great overall situation with the receivers and supporting cast he has around him. Here's hoping KOC gives him that chance and, with all due respect to Josh Dobbs and Nate Mullens, we never see either of them have to throw a pass as a Viking other than perhaps in garbage time when the Vikes are up by 28 in the 4th.
Dobbs is going to give them a better chance of making the playoffs...Hall needs some marinating. But point taken.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is. Hall has been running the scout team during the week against Flores different defensive looks.
I would think that also would help prepare him for this start. Because I’m sure Flores is throwing a lot of different looks at him.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

O’Connell was on the Rams staff when they had Goff, right?

Wasn’t it a thing where the Rams would get to the line really quickly, before 15 seconds on the play clock (when the radios shut off), so McVay could see the defense and then dictate where Goff should go with the ball?

Supposed softer schedule coming up, maybe we will see that with O’Connell/Hall while they get him acclimated.

Ironically, it was the Vikings who foiled that system, as Zimmer disguised looks until post-snap, but anyway, something to wonder about.

More than likely, I imagine this will be like the Joe Webb experience. Hall will unexpectedly ball out game one, the drum for him will bang louder than Sloter, and he’ll then plummet back to Earth. We’ll be racing to get Dobbs up to speed to operate 60% of the playbook by week 12
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

TheCoolerOne wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:55 pm O’Connell was on the Rams staff when they had Goff, right?

Wasn’t it a thing where the Rams would get to the line really quickly, before 15 seconds on the play clock (when the radios shut off), so McVay could see the defense and then dictate where Goff should go with the ball?

Supposed softer schedule coming up, maybe we will see that with O’Connell/Hall while they get him acclimated.

Ironically, it was the Vikings who foiled that system, as Zimmer disguised looks until post-snap, but anyway, something to wonder about.

More than likely, I imagine this will be like the Joe Webb experience. Hall will unexpectedly ball out game one, the drum for him will bang louder than Sloter, and he’ll then plummet back to Earth. We’ll be racing to get Dobbs up to speed to operate 60% of the playbook by week 12
I thought of Sloter also when Hall looked like a HOFer in a preseason game. Hall doesn't have Webb's all around ability. Webb could do anything but the problem was he wasn't very good at any of them especially QB. Nobody can learn 60% of this complicated offense in a few days. That's like reading war and peace in 5 minutes. He'll know one formation and a running play, check down, a quick hitch, a TE screen and kneel down from that formation.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Joshua Dobbs has three times as many rushing touchdowns this season than the Minnesota Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.