Should we trade for a Quarterback

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Should we trade for a Quarterback

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:24 pm I just read there's a possibility of bringing in Colt McCoy for a look. Wow.
They have brought him in before.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Prrhaps someone in the front office will FINALLY have an epiphany and realize that a football team needs an OL before investing in a top tier QB? Prolly not……
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:18 am Prrhaps someone in the front office will FINALLY have an epiphany and realize that a football team needs an OL before investing in a top tier QB? Prolly not……
Have you not watched the OL recently? They’ve been phenomenal. This has nothing to do with investing in OL. Our OL is compiled of 1st and 2nd round picks and it’s starting to show.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:24 pm I just read there's a possibility of bringing in Colt McCoy for a look. Wow.
While doing my grad work at UT Austin I briefly met Colt. Seemed like a really good dude.

If we can acquire him for a day 3 pick, it's worth having him in the stable (I couldn't resist). Mullens is off IR week 10, so another option is to just let Hall play week 9 and then roll with Mullens. This season is toast. It's time to make a plan for the future.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Colt is a free agent. We worked him out a month or so ago, nothing came out of it. They did have him in the bld. No assets beyond cash given up, and salary cap considerations.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:26 am
While doing my grad work at UT Austin I briefly met Colt. Seemed like a really good dude.

If we can acquire him for a day 3 pick, it's worth having him in the stable (I couldn't resist). Mullens is off IR week 10, so another option is to just let Hall play week 9 and then roll with Mullens. This season is toast. It's time to make a plan for the future.
Things were looking so freaking good and then Kirk joined the rest of the QB world that aren't Ironmen. This hurts so bad. I guess the Puke consider it payback for the Vikings injuring Rodgers.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:13 am
chicagopurple wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:18 am Prrhaps someone in the front office will FINALLY have an epiphany and realize that a football team needs an OL before investing in a top tier QB? Prolly not……
Have you not watched the OL recently? They’ve been phenomenal. This has nothing to do with investing in OL. Our OL is compiled of 1st and 2nd round picks and it’s starting to show.
We just gave up 3 sacks and our top 2 backs averaged 2 yards a pop against a bad defense. That's far from phenomenal. We haven't been able to run the ball all year. If you open holes the run will be there. If we played the Eagles what would it be 1 yard a carry and 10 QB hits.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I would trade for a younger QB who has shown some promise but I wouldn't trade a high pick. Don't do a Speilman and give up a 1st rounder for nothing. I liked Jones when he came out. Good passer and a championship winner. All young QBs struggle. You get that with all young QBs except Mahomes. The draft seems to be like throwing darts. Like this Caleb guy who is the best in the class. If that's the best what is next? Don't look good but who knows. I would hope they have a guy in mind and that's why they told Kirk no thanks when the contract came up. Perhaps they see a guy coming out this year or maybe they feel Hall is the guy. Maybe Colt "the real" McCoy is the guy KOC has his heart set on. The wheel is spinning and not much to choose from.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:23 pm
WOW!! :govikes:
At that point, they should go back to Keenum. He's been a backup for a few years now and currently on the Texans. I don't think we should trade for a QB if we have any sort of faith in Hall. If for some reason they want to get a serviceable other guy, than maybe, but any team will want to take advantage of the needy Vikings.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think they'll sign some FA (Wentz?) until they know what they have in Hall. If Hall is terrible they may trade for someone. Maybe Tannehill?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:57 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:13 am

We just gave up 3 sacks and our top 2 backs averaged 2 yards a pop against a bad defense. That's far from phenomenal. We haven't been able to run the ball all year. If you open holes the run will be there. If we played the Eagles what would it be 1 yard a carry and 10 QB hits.
“We just gave up 3 sacks”…..really man? Did we watch the game or look at a box score? One of the 3 sacks was literally when Kirk tore his Achilles and went down in a heap. The other was about 2 plays into Hall coming in the game, not really know what he was doing. The OL has given up 1 legitimate sack in two games. Against fronts of GB and SF. We have the best left and right tackle in the nfl. Bradbury hasn’t given up a single pressure this season (only lineman to do so). Ingram has improved drastically. Cleveland is the #7 guard according to PFF. Like this is the best line we’ve had in a long time and continue to improve every week. Not sure what anyone else is watching right now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:45 am
“We just gave up 3 sacks”…..really man? Did we watch the game or look at a box score? One of the 3 sacks was literally when Kirk tore his Achilles and went down in a heap. The other was about 2 plays into Hall coming in the game, not really know what he was doing. The OL has given up 1 legitimate sack in two games. Against fronts of GB and SF. We have the best left and right tackle in the nfl. Bradbury hasn’t given up a single pressure this season (only lineman to do so). Ingram has improved drastically. Cleveland is the #7 guard according to PFF. Like this is the best line we’ve had in a long time and continue to improve every week. Not sure what anyone else is watching right now
We are watching a line that is tied for 16th in sacks allowed and blocks for an average of 3.6 yards per carry. There has been some improvement but let's not get carried away and act like they're the Great Wall of Dallas in the 90s.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I'll leave it up to your judgements to decide which options are bad and which are worth looking into. Just wanted to see who MIGHT be available. Here we go:

Tyler Huntley: 25 years old. On the cheap in the last year of his contract-could also be an audition.

Andy Dalton: If we could "pry" Dalton from Carolina, the 36 year old could provide stability. Short, cheap contract.

Cooper Rush: The 30 year old had a few shining moments on the Cowgirls. Cheap contract-possible audition for backup.

Trey Lance: Do we look into the Marshall, MN native's potential? Rookie contract. Worth it? What would it cost?

Russell Wilson: Would Denver trade him? Not sure how the opt-out works and who has control. Age 35-37 seasons.

Davis Mills: 25 year old put up decent numbers with Houston. Cheap contract.

Case Keenum: (HAAHAHHA!) Cheap contract. Full of magic. Could also be decent backup.

Blaine Gabbert: Woof.

Brian Hoyer: Woof.

Mike White: Younger but still...woof.

Jameis Winston: Still only 29. Tons of picks. But can score some points. Cheap contract...audition?

Marcus Mariota: The 30 year old is an interesting option. Decent career. Mobile with decent IQ.

Sam Darnold: 26 years old. Almost as many picks as TDs. Another audition type guy with a little experience.

Malik Willis: Has Indy given up on the 24 year old? Is he even worth looking into?

Jacoby Brissett: Brissett has actually put up decent numbers. 30 and on last year on contract. Audition guy as well.

Thoughts?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:45 am
Ezra 7th best in the game? How? He can't hold the point. He's a FA so based on that rating teams will be chasing him offering tons of money. That won't happen just like what Bradberry went through. No teams were chasing him.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:14 pm
Case Keenum: (HAAHAHHA!) Cheap contract. Full of magic. Could also be decent backup.
Speaking of magic, I've seen people saying Fitzmagic(Fitzpatrick) coming back. I don't think even slightly realistic, but would be funny if he came back and just starting slinging it