Live Draft Chat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Live Draft Chat

Post by fiestavike »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:01 pm Ughhhhh..... 4 straight WRs
However, we needed someone else to ease the pressure off of JJ and keep Defenses honest.
We don't have that and this WR class sucks from here on.
In today's NFL, if the offense doesn't mess it up, the defense can't stop them. A great defensive player can shrink the offense's margin for error, but never more than that. As such, outside of pass rushers, defenders are less valuable than even running backs. 75 percent of roster construction is QB. 10 percent is WR. 10 percent is pass rush. 1 percent is kicker, and 4 percent is everyone else combined.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:05 am
However, we needed someone else to ease the pressure off of JJ and keep Defenses honest.
In today's NFL, if the offense doesn't mess it up, the defense can't stop them. A great defensive player can shrink the offense's margin for error, but never more than that. As such, outside of pass rushers, defenders are less valuable than even running backs. 75 percent of roster construction is QB. 10 percent is WR. 10 percent is pass rush. 1 percent is kicker, and 4 percent is everyone else combined.
🤔
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

A defense can make an offense mess up. I'll take a shut down CB all day long. I'll take an Aaron Donald all day. He forces mess ups.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

makila wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am From the athletic

Adofo-Mensah said Minnesota “considered a lot” of options at No. 23 and that “it’s a deadline league.” He said he takes pride in cobbling together small advantages (via draft pick accumulation, positional value, etc.). But he also understands that the teams that win have impactful players.

“If you can get one,” he said, “you should take one.”

Last season, according to Telemetry Sports, Osborn ranked 120th among 159 qualified receivers in his separation score versus man coverage. Thielen ranked 151st.

One of Addison’s premier abilities, meanwhile, is separating from defenders. Even head coach Kevin O’Connell highlighted this attribute, suggesting a naturalness that popped on film.

The short-term view, however, is only a fraction of Adofo-Mensah’s considerations. He knows the price tags that will come with Jefferson and Hockenson extensions. He is aware Osborn could become a free agent. Pool those factors together and Adofo-Mensah realizes that adding an impact player at a premium position — which is going to become quite cost-effective — will provide the Vikings the best long-term chance of building a sustainable roster.

“I can’t wait for Kevin to get in the lab with all these guys (on offense),” the GM said.

Thanks for posting this, Makila. It's a super interesting pick and it says a lot about what they thought of Thielen last year. IMO, they rightly concluded that having a WR2 opposite JJ that can get separation and hurt teams that choose to double team/ bracket JJ was the best way to help the team. I very much like that we got a WR who is versatile (can play from multiple spots) and whose best qualities are his route running and ability to get open.

I am also pleased to see that it demonstrates a measured view of the QB position. They've made it known (via words and actions) that Kirk is valued, but that they think they could upgrade the position. OTOH, part of me feared that they would UNDER value Kirk and force the decision to move on from him. To me, this shows a practical and wise middle-road approach to handling the Cousins situation.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I guess it's a good pick but seems to be a slight player. I'm sure our current No 2 Ozzy is a little paranoid right now. He had one foot out the door and the banana peel was just picked. Looks like my guy O'cyrus is this years Dru Samia. Headed for the 4th round. Have a few starts get blown up and then cut. On to round 3.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:01 am
makila wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am From the athletic

Adofo-Mensah said Minnesota “considered a lot” of options at No. 23 and that “it’s a deadline league.” He said he takes pride in cobbling together small advantages (via draft pick accumulation, positional value, etc.). But he also understands that the teams that win have impactful players.

“If you can get one,” he said, “you should take one.”

Last season, according to Telemetry Sports, Osborn ranked 120th among 159 qualified receivers in his separation score versus man coverage. Thielen ranked 151st.

One of Addison’s premier abilities, meanwhile, is separating from defenders. Even head coach Kevin O’Connell highlighted this attribute, suggesting a naturalness that popped on film.

The short-term view, however, is only a fraction of Adofo-Mensah’s considerations. He knows the price tags that will come with Jefferson and Hockenson extensions. He is aware Osborn could become a free agent. Pool those factors together and Adofo-Mensah realizes that adding an impact player at a premium position — which is going to become quite cost-effective — will provide the Vikings the best long-term chance of building a sustainable roster.

“I can’t wait for Kevin to get in the lab with all these guys (on offense),” the GM said.

Thanks for posting this, Makila. It's a super interesting pick and it says a lot about what they thought of Thielen last year. IMO, they rightly concluded that having a WR2 opposite JJ that can get separation and hurt teams that choose to double team/ bracket JJ was the best way to help the team. I very much like that we got a WR who is versatile (can play from multiple spots) and whose best qualities are his route running and ability to get open.

I am also pleased to see that it demonstrates a measured view of the QB position. They've made it known (via words and actions) that Kirk is valued, but that they think they could upgrade the position. OTOH, part of me feared that they would UNDER value Kirk and force the decision to move on from him. To me, this shows a practical and wise middle-road approach to handling the Cousins situation.
Of course! We all knew ATs separation was poor, just with our eyes. I did not realize KJs was so poor too. It makes a LOT of sense why Addison was the wr they were targeting as it's what he excels at.

I too am glad they were level headed with qb. I think they were very practical yesterday with how things played out. Would have made same statement of Porter Jr was the pick. I am glad we didn't over react.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Think we'll try to move Cook to get a pick in the 2nd?
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:21 pm Think we'll try to move Cook to get a pick in the 2nd?
rumor was to Miami for 51 if Gibbs was gone.

As for Addison right after they made the pick KoC was clapping saying "day one starter".
Bunter
Practice Squad

Post by Bunter »

I think we would have to sweeten the deal to get 51. Maybe a 4th or a third next year. It becomes too expensive at that point. I think it’s more likely we move up in the start of the third. Hopefully for the best db or lb available.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 am

A defense can make an offense mess up. I'll take a shut down CB all day long. I'll take an Aaron Donald all day. He forces mess ups.
Yes, as I acknowledged pass rushers are of significance. Take Aaron Donald, the most disruptive DL in the game. In 12 games last year he had 5 sacks. But let's set that aside as a down year. let's acknowledge that we are definitely talking about one of the most disruptive pass rushers in a decade. How many pass rushers are as disruptive as Aaron Donald? What are the odds that the pass rusher you select is anywhere near Aaron Donald? Let's be generous and say 79 out of 80 times, he won't be that good. AND EVEN IF HE IS, he is still not worth 1/10th of an elite QB. I don't like it, but strategically, the NFL has become very one dimensional.

As for shutdown CBs, they don't exist anymore. The rule changes have eliminated them from the game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:21 pm Think we'll try to move Cook to get a pick in the 2nd?
If anyone is coughing up a second for Cook I'm running to make that deal if I am Kwesi.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I am toying with this idea too, but would be happy even with a 4th. I worry they might try something with Hunter. They should be able to give him the money.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:18 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 am
Yes, as I acknowledged pass rushers are of significance. Take Aaron Donald, the most disruptive DL in the game. In 12 games last year he had 5 sacks. But let's set that aside as a down year. let's acknowledge that we are definitely talking about one of the most disruptive pass rushers in a decade. How many pass rushers are as disruptive as Aaron Donald? What are the odds that the pass rusher you select is anywhere near Aaron Donald? Let's be generous and say 79 out of 80 times, he won't be that good. AND EVEN IF HE IS, he is still not worth 1/10th of an elite QB. I don't like it, but strategically, the NFL has become very one dimensional.

As for shutdown CBs, they don't exist anymore. The rule changes have eliminated them from the game.
I mostly agree with you but Sauce sure looked like one as a rookie.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Aaron Donald is an outlier. There is a reason he is regarded as one of the greatest defensive players to play. Not many like him out there.

Read a lot today that teams are calling the lions about Swifts availability. Wonder if he is more appealing to a team looking to trade for a rb (like Miami is rumored to be)?
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Vikings at #24 in the 3rd and Clark Phillips rated as 22nd best available right now as the 3rd starts. Would love if the Vikings could get him