Donatell Gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Donatell Gone

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:59 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:21 am Guys that keep ragging on Cine.... relax. Sure, he wasnt our day 1 starter from the jump. Big deal, doesnt mean a damn thing. He ended up breaking his leg in the 4th game of the season. Like is that really what we use to judge rookies on now? The first 4 games of the season? Kyle Hamilton wasnt considered a starter until week 15 of the season this year. Yeah he was playing but playing in package roles.

For whoever said Cine is a stupid player for him saying he loves blowing up guys....not sure how that makes him a stupid player. Did you see the guy play at Georgia? That's exactly what he did, blew guys up. The guy played 3.5 games this year and suffered a freak injury. Anyone judging Cine right now for his rookie season is flat out wrong. 3.5 games as a rookie literally tells you absolutely nothing.
Cine wasn't even playing backup roles. He couldn't help in the slot? Your right you can't call a draft until who knows 5 years down the road or what ever number of years you want to put on it. We sat at the 12th position in the draft. We had holes everywhere. You should be able to walk away with a high caliber player at that spot. Trade up to the pick before the Jets and draft that CB who was an automatic shut down guy day 1. You know how much that helps a team? That was worth our entire draft. Bradbury was a starter day 1 but sucked day 1 right up until he showed some life this year. There were some good rookie players this year. It's possible some of those rookies will suck going forward like our guy Mat Kalil.who was highly rated year one. I felt when that draft unfolded trading away from the talent was stupid. That's a bogus way to run a draft and Speilman did it over and over and our roster shows the result. We picked the 3rd safety selected. Of course he could be an all pro this season and the other 2 will suck. That's certainly a possibility.
I mean he's never played the slot so why would they force him there day 1 of his rookie season? And as for not playing a backup role....ok? Again, our backup, Josh Metellus could very well be starting next year as he showed he improved a lot. Bynum was up and down all year but again, not a push over. You're acting like there were garbage safeties sitting in front of Cine from day 1. If anything, safety is the deepest part of our team. And if you looked into the 2 safeties draft ahead of Cine, Hamilton wasnt a full time starter until week 15. Yes he played a good chunk but again, he played an entire year, Cine played 3.5 games. Also, Dax Hill who was taken the pick ahead of Cine, hardly touched the field for Cincy the entire year. Doesnt mean he is a bust.

Again, judging Cine off of his 3.5 game rookie year is just simply not fair no matter which way you slice it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:20 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:59 pm
Cine wasn't even playing backup roles. He couldn't help in the slot? Your right you can't call a draft until who knows 5 years down the road or what ever number of years you want to put on it. We sat at the 12th position in the draft. We had holes everywhere. You should be able to walk away with a high caliber player at that spot. Trade up to the pick before the Jets and draft that CB who was an automatic shut down guy day 1. You know how much that helps a team? That was worth our entire draft. Bradbury was a starter day 1 but sucked day 1 right up until he showed some life this year. There were some good rookie players this year. It's possible some of those rookies will suck going forward like our guy Mat Kalil.who was highly rated year one. I felt when that draft unfolded trading away from the talent was stupid. That's a bogus way to run a draft and Speilman did it over and over and our roster shows the result. We picked the 3rd safety selected. Of course he could be an all pro this season and the other 2 will suck. That's certainly a possibility.
I mean he's never played the slot so why would they force him there day 1 of his rookie season? And as for not playing a backup role....ok? Again, our backup, Josh Metellus could very well be starting next year as he showed he improved a lot. Bynum was up and down all year but again, not a push over. You're acting like there were garbage safeties sitting in front of Cine from day 1. If anything, safety is the deepest part of our team. And if you looked into the 2 safeties draft ahead of Cine, Hamilton wasnt a full time starter until week 15. Yes he played a good chunk but again, he played an entire year, Cine played 3.5 games. Also, Dax Hill who was taken the pick ahead of Cine, hardly touched the field for Cincy the entire year. Doesnt mean he is a bust.

Again, judging Cine off of his 3.5 game rookie year is just simply not fair no matter which way you slice it.
I was expecting more from the 12th pick. Top level players help other players. Cine was a wash out because he got hurt. It would have been nice if he was part of a dime package day 1. We were weak in the secondary. I'm not calling him a bust because that's not fair for any rookie. There's no set formula. Some step in others need time. The ratings so far are only year 1. Your right the Bengal guy did nothing. IMO year 2 is a big year for any player. All the nonsense stuff is out of the way and the shock of a new system and the fact that there's no dogs at this level. A player has seen what pro life is. Now it's time to step up. He needs to make noise this camp or the bust flag will be waived.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am Point being, guys need to give these rookies time. I say it every single year on here. Sure, saying a draft class looks "promising" or "underwhelming" is fair. But saying "this was the worst draft class in the NFL last year" is just asinine, sorry but it is. I think we have definitely filled some holes on this defense for next year with that 2022 draft class.
It's all relative though. You're right that an individual draft can't be judged after just one year, but the relative success of that draft when compared to every other team in that same year can be compared and judged. In that context, yes, the relative impact of last year's rookie class of the Vikings was at the bottom of the league average.

That doesn't mean it will stay there, of course. Maybe next year Cine and Booth play major roles on defense and make an impact, Ingram ends up making the pro bowl at right guard, and Asamoah and Evans end up as regular impact defensive starters. Or even those things happen in another 2 or 3 seasons. If any of that happens, in the end last year's draft would be judged a success.

So I think it's just a matter of how it is defined, especially as compared to the other teams in the NFL.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:22 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am Point being, guys need to give these rookies time. I say it every single year on here. Sure, saying a draft class looks "promising" or "underwhelming" is fair. But saying "this was the worst draft class in the NFL last year" is just asinine, sorry but it is. I think we have definitely filled some holes on this defense for next year with that 2022 draft class.
It's all relative though. You're right that an individual draft can't be judged after just one year, but the relative success of that draft when compared to every other team in that same year can be compared and judged. In that context, yes, the relative impact of last year's rookie class of the Vikings was at the bottom of the league average.

That doesn't mean it will stay there, of course. Maybe next year Cine and Booth play major roles on defense and make an impact, Ingram ends up making the pro bowl at right guard, and Asamoah and Evans end up as regular impact defensive starters. Or even those things happen in another 2 or 3 seasons. If any of that happens, in the end last year's draft would be judged a success.

So I think it's just a matter of how it is defined, especially as compared to the other teams in the NFL.
Cine couldnt even beat out Cam byum when he wasnt hurt. Booth told anyone that would listen he hadnt felt good since high school. And Kw STILL drafted him, in the second. Kw dicking around in the draft with our first (and second) pick cost us. Evans didnt play much, but he didnt look good when he was playing. Asamoah couldnt beat out 2 of the worst KBs the Vikings had. It was a horrible draft, and I expect nothing will come of it. Hopefully Kw will do better this season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:56 pm

Cine couldnt even beat out Cam byum when he wasnt hurt. Booth told anyone that would listen he hadnt felt good since high school. And Kw STILL drafted him, in the second. Kw dicking around in the draft with our first (and second) pick cost us. Evans didnt play much, but he didnt look good when he was playing. Asamoah couldnt beat out 2 of the worst KBs the Vikings had. It was a horrible draft, and I expect nothing will come of it. Hopefully Kw will do better this season.
The actual thought and research put behind this post honestly couldn’t be less
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

You explained my thoughts better than I did. The DT Davis was mentioned on this board during last years draft. He made a contribution. I think that PFF ranking was fair and we weren't really mentioned. Ingram started the entire year but lets face it pass blocking wasn't his strong suite. I really hate the fact that KOC insists on this 3-4 alignment. I think it sucks. Dallas makes it work but they have a dam good LBer in Parsons. He was mentioned on this board during that draft and I felt no he don't fit our scheme. They also had Anthony Barr helping. There strength was/is at LBer. LBer was a weakness for us so why point the direction of that side of the ball towards your weakest position group. That alignment has zero chance of working again this year. You won't find a stud in FA just cast offs and the draft isn't loaded either. No Parsons this year. I'd rather run a 5-2 and attack the QB. That is how you play defense. We let that Jones do whatever he wanted and he basically sucks. He was already told by his own team you suck. That should have been easy for even a half baked defense. I would have molded our base D along the lines of the Bengals. They know you need to play pass defense. We had half the sacks the sack leading team had. That is about as lame as it gets and signing some cast off LBers won't change that.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:16 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:56 pm

Another insulting post from the Almighty PHP. Show me where I was wrong. There are a lot of forums that dont allow low quality, one liners posts like your. If you feel the need to insult everyone whose opinions aernt like yours, dont. Just relax.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:54 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:16 pm

Another insulting post from the Almighty PHP. Show me where I was wrong. There are a lot of forums that dont allow low quality, one liners posts like your. If you feel the need to insult everyone whose opinions aernt like yours, dont. Just relax.
If that insults you, idk what to tell you. It was an off the cuff, armchair post trying to say how bad the draft class is with very little thought behind it. Just telling it how it is. To be frank, I get sick of listening to the whiny fans that do nothing but pump out useless, empty claims with zero backing or validity behind them and that’s what you just did.

Did you have any clue that Brian Asamoah was the 9 highest graded LB in the last 4 weeks of the season? Everyone with eyes knew Asamoah deserved time over our starters, especially Hicks. The fact that the coaching staff was as tied to these veterans as Zimmer was, isn’t Asamoahs fault.

As for Cine, you gave him 3.5 weeks to prove himself before he broke his leg. Kyle Hamilton didn’t start until week 15 just for a reference. But that means Cine sucks because he couldn’t beat out Bynum in a 3.5 week window? Seems fair….

Booth and Evans played 9% and 13% of the teams defensive snaps. Evans struggled at times but also looked very promising against Washington. Booth seemed to be nursing an injury all year.

Saying KAM “dicking around with our picks cost us” has zero validity to it. Zero until you see what these guys can show in the next couple years.

You literally said “this draft was horrible and expect nothing from it” which is simply you being a disgruntled, armchair fan that just called a draft class a flop after one year. I’m not going to sit here and say we hit a home run, I’m going to sit here and say it’s impossible to tell this year, especially with the amount of aging veterans we had on this roster.

To be honest, it’s not like these players had absolute duds sitting in front of them that couldn’t walk and chew gum. Ed Ingram started because we have had a massive hole at RG for years now and had nobody in front of him. Cine had Bynum and even metellus in front of him and I don’t think either of them are a scrub by any means. And Bynum actually played well early on I thought but faded as the year went on, well after Cine broke his leg. Bynum needs to go back to being a backup, however he wasn’t nearly as bad early on as he was later in the season. Evans and booth initially had Dantzler in front of them who has shown plenty of flashes he could be a good starting corner and after he went down, Shelley played like a top 20 corner in the league. And neither of them were ever playing over Pat P. Chandler clearly had legit backs in front of him, nailor clearly had legit receivers in front of him.

People have to understand, this was nowhere near a zimmer situation where zimmer plays Bisi Johnson in front of Jefferson and Dru Samia in front of Cleveland. Those guys were both horrendous and never should’ve been a starter at any point. The guys in front of the 2022 rookies were all decent to well above average starters. Big difference. However when these aging veterans are gone you’re going to see a massive shift.

There is a high chance that Ed Ingram, Lewis Cine, Ty Chandler, Brian Asamoah and possibly one or two of Booth and Evans are going to be either starting or getting significant playing time next year. But hey, they all suck and we shouldn’t expect anything from them…..Ok because that’s not premature or anything :roll:
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Ryan Nielsen accepted the Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator job Friday. That was my favorite from our interview list. Looks like the final 3 three candidates from the list are Sean Desai (Seattle Seahawks), Brian Flores (Pittsburgh Steelers), and Mike Pettine (Vikings). Flores is in the running for the Arizona HC position. Flores is getting 2nd interview for HC position.
Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2023, 12:50 AM EST
By interviewing Flores, the Cardinals have made it hard not to hire him. Unless the person they hire is clearly and obviously more accomplished than Flores, they would be inviting a claim for Flores for retaliation. Basically, that means they need to hire Sean Payton (who interviewed for the job on Thursday) or Flores.
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:25 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:54 am

If that insults you, idk what to tell you. It was an off the cuff, armchair post trying to say how bad the draft class is with very little thought behind it. Just telling it how it is. To be frank, I get sick of listening to the whiny fans that do nothing but pump out useless, empty claims with zero backing or validity behind them and that’s what you just did.

Did you have any clue that Brian Asamoah was the 9 highest graded LB in the last 4 weeks of the season? Everyone with eyes knew Asamoah deserved time over our starters, especially Hicks. The fact that the coaching staff was as tied to these veterans as Zimmer was, isn’t Asamoahs fault.

As for Cine, you gave him 3.5 weeks to prove himself before he broke his leg. Kyle Hamilton didn’t start until week 15 just for a reference. But that means Cine sucks because he couldn’t beat out Bynum in a 3.5 week window? Seems fair….

Booth and Evans played 9% and 13% of the teams defensive snaps. Evans struggled at times but also looked very promising against Washington. Booth seemed to be nursing an injury all year.

Saying KAM “dicking around with our picks cost us” has zero validity to it. Zero until you see what these guys can show in the next couple years.

You literally said “this draft was horrible and expect nothing from it” which is simply you being a disgruntled, armchair fan that just called a draft class a flop after one year. I’m not going to sit here and say we hit a home run, I’m going to sit here and say it’s impossible to tell this year, especially with the amount of aging veterans we had on this roster.

To be honest, it’s not like these players had absolute duds sitting in front of them that couldn’t walk and chew gum. Ed Ingram started because we have had a massive hole at RG for years now and had nobody in front of him. Cine had Bynum and even metellus in front of him and I don’t think either of them are a scrub by any means. And Bynum actually played well early on I thought but faded as the year went on, well after Cine broke his leg. Bynum needs to go back to being a backup, however he wasn’t nearly as bad early on as he was later in the season. Evans and booth initially had Dantzler in front of them who has shown plenty of flashes he could be a good starting corner and after he went down, Shelley played like a top 20 corner in the league. And neither of them were ever playing over Pat P. Chandler clearly had legit backs in front of him, nailor clearly had legit receivers in front of him.

People have to understand, this was nowhere near a zimmer situation where zimmer plays Bisi Johnson in front of Jefferson and Dru Samia in front of Cleveland. Those guys were both horrendous and never should’ve been a starter at any point. The guys in front of the 2022 rookies were all decent to well above average starters. Big difference. However when these aging veterans are gone you’re going to see a massive shift.

There is a high chance that Ed Ingram, Lewis Cine, Ty Chandler, Brian Asamoah and possibly one or two of Booth and Evans are going to be either starting or getting significant playing time next year. But hey, they all suck and we shouldn’t expect anything from them…..Ok because that’s not premature or anything :roll:
While I view you, PHP, as one of the most knowledgeable posters here, when you refer to other's opinions as "dumb", "asinine" or "at the level of a third grader" it diminishes your credibility with some. I see JJs point. That being said, I'm really looking forward to your mock draft. I know you put a lot of research into it. Thanks.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Something from a Broncos website. I'd like to see him stay with the Broncos. He was the only good thing under the otherwise disastrous year they had under Hackett (and a few things have come out since he was fired about how over his head he was). Of course, now the Broncos have a new coach who may want to bring in his own DC, but that's still undecided.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2023/2/1 ... jiro-evero

According to ESPN’s Kevin Seifert who covers the Minnesota Vikings, he says that the Vikings are waiting to see if they interview Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero for their defensive coordinator job. He is currently in the running for the Arizona Cardinals and Indianapolis Colts head coaching jobs and is still under contract with the Broncos as their defensive coordinator.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cogitator wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm Something from a Broncos website. I'd like to see him stay with the Broncos. He was the only good thing under the otherwise disastrous year they had under Hackett (and a few things have come out since he was fired about how over his head he was). Of course, now the Broncos have a new coach who may want to bring in his own DC, but that's still undecided.

According to ESPN’s Kevin Seifert who covers the Minnesota Vikings, he says that the Vikings are waiting to see if they interview Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero for their defensive coordinator job. He is currently in the running for the Arizona Cardinals and Indianapolis Colts head coaching jobs and is still under contract with the Broncos as their defensive coordinator.
He was released from his contract. The Panthers will interview him for DC. Denver was 14th in scoring defense. I guess we will also. Flores will interview with Denver so it looks like they will hire him. I think Mike Pettine gets the job here.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:06 pm
cogitator wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm Something from a Broncos website. I'd like to see him stay with the Broncos. He was the only good thing under the otherwise disastrous year they had under Hackett (and a few things have come out since he was fired about how over his head he was). Of course, now the Broncos have a new coach who may want to bring in his own DC, but that's still undecided.

He was released from his contract. The Panthers will interview him for DC. Denver was 14th in scoring defense. I guess we will also. Flores will interview with Denver so it looks like they will hire him. I think Mike Pettine gets the job here.
I don’t know why you think Pettine is getting the job. By the looks of it, he’s not even in the conversation right now given they are going hard after evero and Flores
-Chazz Palminteri
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Post by MossCarterJefferson »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:55 pm
I don’t know why you think Pettine is getting the job. By the looks of it, he’s not even in the conversation right now given they are going hard after evero and Flores
Evero is gone, Evero just accepted the Panthers job, I do not blame him since Vikings defense is a HUGE job to fix so it is now Flores or Pettine
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:55 pm
I could be wrong. They have a past relationship no more than that. This is just in from Around the NFL Staff NFL.com
The Carolina Panthers are hiring Ejiro Evero as defensive coordinator, NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported Sunday, per sources.