Vikings @ Saints post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StanM
Veteran

Re: Vikings @ Saints post game

Post by StanM »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:38 pm
StanM wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:30 pm I’ll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day. Waiting to hear more details on Cine’s injury. Obviously it’s going to end his season but concerned about it’s affect on his future career. Harry suffered some kind of hand or wrist injury late in the game as well. Will be waiting to hear how serious that is.

I look for things to improve on both sides of the ball as they gel and refine the playbook. Every team has challenges and I’d hate to be reading the posts on Saints forums right now. :rock:
I would like to see Harrison released after the season, his injuries are getting evident since he is getting older
The way he landed on that hand would have had the same outcome if he had been a 22 year old rookie. He still has something to contribute but the big contracts become a liability at some point. My job is to cheer for the Vikings and not determine when players need to be shown the door. :beerock:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Cousins said, after the game, they left a lot out on the field today. Which is true. They didnt capitalize on all the mistakes the Aints made. But again, bottom line is, when it came right down to it Cousins and JJ came up with the huge play in crunch time. And I love seeing that out of those two guys.

With more work on the D side of the ball and the OLine (to make a hole or 2 for Cook AND protect Cousins for at least a second more. Like many QB's Cousins doesnt like pressure in his face on most passes. He excels when he doesnt have it. And I know this D can play better.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Way to many dropped passes. What’s going on with that?
AT has been pretty much clutch for us the last couple weeks.

KOC not overly impressed by his coaching today. A lot of missed opportunities from not calling a more aggressive game.

We need to keep pounding Cook up the middle :whistle:
And the Offensive line had an off game today.

At the end of the day a win is a win. :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Nice fake punt. Wright was a QB during his amateur days so it's good to have that and use it.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:21 pm
Dmizzle0 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:00 pm Also I don't agree with the win being branded lucky. Defense was soft execution was iffy coaching wasn't aggressive (at first). But it came down to JJ beating Lattimore to get in position to secure the win
The win is lucky because I thought Lultz was going to make another 60 yard field goal but he came very close to making it
If he made it the game would've went to overtime. Who knows what would have happened. Also the defense at least held them far enough for him to miss.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

As for the Lions, I thought they are a different team this year? They are 1-3 and is in the basement as always!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Had to watch the replay, as my 84-year-old mom fell during the night and broke her clavicle.

My heart still hasn't stopped racing, and the game ended 20 minutes ago. Holy moly. What a close one! As others have said, it's good to win the close ones ... we were 6-8 in one-score games last year. We're 2-0 this year.

Really got sick of Mark Sanchez as the game wore on. He spoke about Saints players and plays at least twice as much as he did about the Vikings, and his claim that the Lattimore PI against Thielen was beyond idiotic. Lattimore hooked Thielen's arm and held it, a no-doubt PI. But Sanchez just focused on Thielen trying to get Lattimore off him. Just got sick of hearing how great the Saints were.

Except for one pass, I thought Cousins played really well today under serious duress. O-line didn't have its best day, especially Brian O'Neill. Love that Cousins put together another game-winning drive and fourth-quarter comeback. Also nice to see both Jefferson and Thielen have big games.

I know we'll all break it down during the week, but the Vikings have got to start converting red zone opportunities at a much higher rate. We had chances to blow this game open but came up with field goals. Some have said we were lucky to win. I suppose there's some truth in that, but the Saints are also lucky they didn't get destroyed by about 3 touchdowns.

Side note: Loved the fake punt. On the "Write That Down" segment of the Purple Daily podcast last week, one of the guys predicted Wright would complete a pass this season. Pretty cool, and good scouting to discover he's a former quarterback. I know it seems like a fake punt is an anomaly, but search "Johnny Hekker fake punts" on YouTube sometime. That dude has completed 14 of 23 passes in his career for 186 yards and a TD. Strange as it sounds, having a punter who can pass is a weapon. And guess which team Johnny Hekker plays for. You guessed it ... the Los Angeles Rams.

All told, the Vikings are 3-1 with a very winnable game coming up at home against the Bears. Still can't believe KOC opted to not have the Vikings bye week after a London game (he had the choice), but hopefully he knows what he's doing. He took heat for waiting until Thursday night to fly the Vikings to London ... it worked out just fine.

SKOL!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:11 pm Had to watch the replay, as my 84-year-old mom fell during the night and broke her clavicle.

My heart still hasn't stopped racing, and the game ended 20 minutes ago. Holy moly. What a close one! As others have said, it's good to win the close ones ... we were 6-8 in one-score games last year. We're 2-0 this year.

Really got sick of Mark Sanchez as the game wore on. He spoke about Saints players and plays at least twice as much as he did about the Vikings, and his claim that the Lattimore PI against Thielen was beyond idiotic. Lattimore hooked Thielen's arm and held it, a no-doubt PI. But Sanchez just focused on Thielen trying to get Lattimore off him. Just got sick of hearing how great the Saints were.

Except for one pass, I thought Cousins played really well today under serious duress. O-line didn't have its best day, especially Brian O'Neill. Love that Cousins put together another game-winning drive and fourth-quarter comeback. Also nice to see both Jefferson and Thielen have big games.

I know we'll all break it down during the week, but the Vikings have got to start converting red zone opportunities at a much higher rate. We had chances to blow this game open but came up with field goals. Some have said we were lucky to win. I suppose there's some truth in that, but the Saints are also lucky they didn't get destroyed by about 3 touchdowns.

Side note: Loved the fake punt. On the "Write That Down" segment of the Purple Daily podcast last week, one of the guys predicted Wright would complete a pass this season. Pretty cool, and good scouting to discover he's a former quarterback. I know it seems like a fake punt is an anomaly, but search "Johnny Hekker fake punts" on YouTube sometime. That dude has completed 14 of 23 passes in his career for 186 yards and a TD. Strange as it sounds, having a punter who can pass is a weapon. And guess which team Johnny Hekker plays for. You guessed it ... the Los Angeles Rams.

All told, the Vikings are 3-1 with a very winnable game coming up at home against the Bears. Still can't believe KOC opted to not have the Vikings bye week after a London game (he had the choice), but hopefully he knows what he's doing. He took heat for waiting until Thursday night to fly the Vikings to London ... it worked out just fine.

SKOL!
I am glad he did not do that, I hate early byes
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:00 pm Also I don't agree with the win being branded lucky. Defense was soft execution was iffy coaching wasn't aggressive (at first). But it came down to JJ beating Lattimore to get in position to secure the win
It's not a lucky win. It's just a WIN.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

After all the analysis I have come to the conclusion that the Vikings won by 3 and covered the spread. I win my bet. :D :govikes:
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

We played a good game against the Pukers. Or was it more Rodgers and G. Having a bad game. But a earned win.

Eagles. They owned us. The better Team

Detroit. We won because there coach made a a boneheaded coaching decision..Detroit should have won

Saints. Who deserved to win this game the most. Did either really stand out. Fake punt was great. I could see the saints deserving as well.

Chicago we should probably win. But I bet another nail biter.

We are 3-1. But that record could easily be 1-3... and probably should be.

But as a Viking fan since 1962. I am happy with the 3-1.

How will we do against f
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
L.A.Rams
Kansas City
Arizona
NY Giants even

How far is this team going to go against playoff contenders?

I bleed purple. But I don’t have a comfy feeling playing teams like those listed above.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Happy we got the win , but this defense is really being exposed. I don't think it is as much the personnel as it is Donatell's scheme, he can't seem to get pressure with the front we are running.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Husker Vike wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 pm Happy we got the win , but this defense is really being exposed. I don't think it is as much the personnel as it is Donatell's scheme, he can't seem to get pressure with the front we are running.
I think it's a fair bit scheme, as you point out. But we have a lack of talent on D too. I also don't feel great about the fact that our defensive rookies are not getting onto the field. Is Donatell's scheme really that complex? Or is he like Zimmer? Hesitant to trust rookies.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Was just about to say the same thing. It’s not like that missed FG would’ve won the game for the saints. Bottom line is, we’re closing out games. One thing Mike zimmer couldn’t do the last few years. I can honestly say, if Zim was still the coach I really don’t see this team sitting at 3-1. Still a lot to clean up but if this team eventually gets comfortable in what they are doing, these wins are going to go a long way. We could be sitting at 1-3 right now and then maybe catch fire and sneak into playoffs or just miss them. If we can start to get hot and more comfortable soon, this team can really do some damage
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Husker Vike wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 pm Happy we got the win , but this defense is really being exposed. I don't think it is as much the personnel as it is Donatell's scheme, he can't seem to get pressure with the front we are running.
What drives me nuts with this team is we rarely blitz (saw last week we were 28th in blitzes through 3 games) and he always has our corners a mile off WRs. Teams completion percentage against us has to be insane. At one point I think dalton was like 19 for 23. It’s like he’s afraid to give up the big play. I don’t think our corners are that bad at covering. I actually think a guy like dantzler thrives in press but we always have him and PP 8 yards off WRs.

In terms of pass rush, we have nobody in the interior that can get to the passer. Tomlinson will occasionally break through. Phillips doesn’t at all. Nor do any other defensive players. We know what Danielle and Z bring to the table and I like Wonnum and Jones in the rotation but we badly need someone that can push a pocket in the middle. I wish they’d sign suh. He’s gotta be better than what we have in terms of getting a pass rush.

But I’d like to see them get up in press more and send some blitzes. Make these QBs feel uncomfortable. Jam guys at the line and give your blitz some time to get through
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri