53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: 53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:41 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:19 am Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
·
Follow
It's worth noting that if RB Alexander Mattison were to leave the #Vikings as a free agent next March and plays well, Vikings could get a third- or fourth-round comp pick, so they would want that sort of return in a trade now if one were to be done for him.
1:46 PM · Aug 29, 2022
The odds of getting a compensatory pick for Mattison are incredibly low and it should be noted that a pick in 2023 is worth a lot more than a pick in 2024. Counting on a compensatory pick is generally not a wise move. Better to take the pick you can get now instead of hoping a position that generally doesn't get a lot in FA and generally doesn't remain healthy for 4 seasons gets you a 3rd round pick.
You don't know that. Nobody does. It's based on a ton of factors, including what kind of signing bonus he gets from a new team. None of those factors have been adjudicated. So you don't know.

However, informed speculation is that he'd bring somewhere in the neighborhood of a 6th round pick. So to my mind, the Vikings should require at least a 5th for him in a trade, preferably a 4th. Otherwise, I'd roll the dice on a comp pick and keep him on the roster, since he clearly has value to the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:23 am

The odds of getting a compensatory pick for Mattison are incredibly low and it should be noted that a pick in 2023 is worth a lot more than a pick in 2024. Counting on a compensatory pick is generally not a wise move. Better to take the pick you can get now instead of hoping a position that generally doesn't get a lot in FA and generally doesn't remain healthy for 4 seasons gets you a 3rd round pick.
You don't know that. Nobody does. It's based on a ton of factors, including what kind of signing bonus he gets from a new team. None of those factors have been adjudicated. So you don't know.

However, informed speculation is that he'd bring somewhere in the neighborhood of a 6th round pick. So to my mind, the Vikings should require at least a 5th for him in a trade, preferably a 4th. Otherwise, I'd roll the dice on a comp pick and keep him on the roster, since he clearly has value to the Vikings.
He provides good depth which is a good thing to have. 5th, 6th or 7th falls under who cares? I'd prefer the depth now. Players get banged up.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:31 am

He provides good depth which is a good thing to have. 5th, 6th or 7th falls under who cares? I'd prefer the depth now. Players get banged up.
Eggzactly. If we can't get a 4th round pick just keep him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

We should bring this guy in Brock Hoffman C. He sucks but not as bad as Bradbury. He also has some size. Plus Josh Sokol was cut.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:48 am We should bring this guy in Brock Hoffman C. He sucks but not as bad as Bradbury. He also has some size.
Nope. If he sucks I'll just stick with the suck we already have.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I hear Mannion and Jesse Davis have been cut. How much of Davis's contract is guaranteed?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:51 am I hear Mannion and Jesse Davis have been cut. How much of Davis's contract is guaranteed?
Jesse Davis signed a 1 year, $3,000,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $1,500,000 signing bonus, $2,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,000,000. In 2022, Davis will earn a base salary of $1,250,000, a signing bonus of $1,500,000, a roster bonus of $200,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,250,000 and a dead cap value of $2,800,000.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:51 am I hear Mannion and Jesse Davis have been cut. How much of Davis's contract is guaranteed?
Jesse Davis signed a 1 year, $3,000,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $1,500,000 signing bonus, $2,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,000,000. In 2022, Davis will earn a base salary of $1,250,000, a signing bonus of $1,500,000, a roster bonus of $200,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,250,000 and a dead cap value of $2,800,000.
So we took it up the a..
First really bad move by Kwesi.

Double checking my source regarding Davis may have been mistaken. I don't see him being cut checking Google.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:50 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:48 am We should bring this guy in Brock Hoffman C. He sucks but not as bad as Bradbury. He also has some size.
But he won't be pushed into the back field or wind up flat on his back. It's an upgrade of suckness because he does have a little base.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:06 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:50 am
But he won't be pushed into the back field or wind up flat on his back. It's an upgrade of suckness because he does have a little base.
Nope. If we bother getting rid of Bradbury I don't want to replace him with suck even if it's lesser suck. Maybe Bradbury won't suck as bad as you think he will suck. The only negative I've heard about him was Phillips kicking his #### early in practice so maybe he's been less sucky since.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Muse, Hairston, McCloud, Nickerson, Wyatt Davis (my source may have mistaken this with Jesse). I also don't see the official waiving of Mannion, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The reason I say the odds are incredibly low is because the odds are low for every UFA. Not only does that player need to get a qualifying contract, but the team that loses him can't sign an UFA of equal or more value. That means even if Mattison is signed to the highest UFA RB contract in the NFL next year (which is unlikely), the Vikings couldn't sign any high value UFA or they would lose the 3rd round comp pick.

A 6th round pick in 2024 (where the compensatory pick would be) is worth a 7th in 2023 so you do not need to get better than a 6th to increase the value over the compensatory pick, a 6th is actually an increase. Now is losing the value of Mattison this year worth it? I think so. The offense seems to take a big step back every time Mattison is on the field, not necessarily because Mattison is bad, but because defenses just don't respect him and instead focus on stopping the pass. Chandler might be able to get that respect as the #2 and the Vikings might be able to not miss a step with him on the field, Cook would not need to play as much and the Vikings offense would be better.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 am Muse, Hairston, McCloud, Nickerson, Wyatt Davis (my source may have mistaken this with Jesse). I also don't see the official waiving of Mannion, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
Looks like he's still there. TE Zach Davidson was cut.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:32 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 am Muse, Hairston, McCloud, Nickerson, Wyatt Davis (my source may have mistaken this with Jesse). I also don't see the official waiving of Mannion, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
Looks like he's still there. TE Zach Davidson was cut.
Muse and Davidson being cut means most likely Elefson has made the team unless we only keep 2 TEs.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

We just cut 3 of our former 3rd round picks. Rick should have been gone long ago. Such wasted time.