Post Draft thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Post Draft thoughts

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:56 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:44 am
Under Texas law consensual sex with a 14 year old when the person is 16 is not illegal. The girls were either 12 or he raped them based on the charges and his age when it happened.

The charges were dropped only because the Victims didn't show up to court after a grand jury had already indicted him based on their testimony. A testimony vetted by numerous detectives and at least one psychologist.

It is sadly very common for victims in these cases to fail to testify because of how hard it is to face the man who did that to them in court and replay the worst thing that ever happened to them. That doesn't mean it is likely Ingram didn't do it and actually makes it more likely he did.
You are wrong and you know nothing about it. The ages are known when the allegations occurred. He was 15 close to 16 they were 13 close to 14. There very easily could have been no sex at all. Or there may have been consensual sex with all parties IMO being too young to participate in such. We don't know. It's possible he did something wrong. I'll trust the Vikings, LSU, and the Courts determination. Not yours. However, you can't in good conscience support the Vikings any more so go away.
A 15 year old having sex with a 13 year old is legal in Texas if it is consensual so I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that he could be charged with aggravated sexual assault on a 13 and 14 year old and it be consensual.

You are defending the indefensible at this point and should be ashamed that you are letting your fandom get in the way of being a decent human being. Take a step back and think about what you just wrote. Forget its me arguing that I don't want a child rapist on my team, and look at this as a person instead of a Vikings fan who has an issue with a poster because they say mean things about their team.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:08 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:01 am
Go away. You can't support the Vikings any more. The DA dropped the charges. Nobody outside of the DA and those immediately involved know what happened as the court records are sealed. Good chance the charges were dropped because it was found out he was innocent. You are omniscient if you know he was guilty. Smite us all O Mighty One.
You should really look up all the facts before get on your high horse about me not being worthy of being a Vikings fan.

But the Vikings drafted him so he must be a great guy right?
No you get me totally wrong. The Vikings are not worthy of your being a fan. Go away.

It's not up to me or you to look up all the facts and it's not possible for us to look up all the facts as the court records are sealed. That's up to the courts, LSU and the Vikings. You being who you are want to try him in the court of public opinion. It doesn't matter to you that everybody decided not to take action against him.
Allegations were made. It doesn't mean anything actually happened. Perhaps it was young people playing Doctor. LSU dismissed him pending investigation and found him worthy of reinstatement. The Vikings found him of good character. They know far better than you about what actually happened. However, since against all odds somehow you know he's guilty you should not support the Vikings any more. You find it your duty to drag this young man through the mud on this message board for whatever happened or didn't happen, when he was 15, 7 years ago. I don't know and will give him and the Vikings the benefit of the doubt.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:18 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:56 am
You are wrong and you know nothing about it. The ages are known when the allegations occurred. He was 15 close to 16 they were 13 close to 14. There very easily could have been no sex at all. Or there may have been consensual sex with all parties IMO being too young to participate in such. We don't know. It's possible he did something wrong. I'll trust the Vikings, LSU, and the Courts determination. Not yours. However, you can't in good conscience support the Vikings any more so go away.
A 15 year old having sex with a 13 year old is legal in Texas if it is consensual so I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that he could be charged with aggravated sexual assault on a 13 and 14 year old and it be consensual.

You are defending the indefensible at this point and should be ashamed that you are letting your fandom get in the way of being a decent human being. Take a step back and think about what you just wrote. Forget its me arguing that I don't want a child rapist on my team, and look at this as a person instead of a Vikings fan who has an issue with a poster because they say mean things about their team.
I don't give a rat's #### about what you think happened. Fandom has nothing to do with it. He "was charged" and the charges were dropped. IMO a decent human being gives the benefit of the doubt and considers that the end of it. You do decent human being your way and I'll do it mine. Your type of decent human being might win out. The Vikings may eventually cave in to your types and dismiss him.
LSU and the Vikings have found him worthy. Those are the sources that matter to me. With that I will no longer post anything having to do with the good character or lack thereof of Ed Ingram. Feel free to enlighten us all with your wisdom with no further interruption from me.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:18 am

I don't give a rat's #### about what you think happened. Fandom has nothing to do with it. He "was charged" and the charges were dropped. IMO a decent human being gives the benefit of the doubt and considers that the end of it.
You don't think you should give the benefit of the doubt to the victims? If Ingram is innocent, those little girls are liars guilty of trying to destroy Ingram's reputation and put him in jail for a very long time.

Is that what you think happened? Or is it far more likely he is guilty of the crime he was accused of and doesn't deserve to make millions from the Vikings while his victims deal with what he did to them for the rest of their lives?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:33 am
Allegations were made. It doesn't mean anything actually happened. Perhaps it was young people playing Doctor.
He was 15...wtf is wrong with you?
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:12 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:33 am
Allegations were made. It doesn't mean anything actually happened. Perhaps it was young people playing Doctor.
He was 15...wtf is wrong with you?
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I thought this thread was a discussion about the draft and not about the criminal justice system. The way I look at sports is that it’s a diversion from daily life. I leave the draft and selecting players up to the Vikings and any legal issues involving players up to the legal system. When I player is exonerated of charges I take it at face value. If for some reason I had personal objections to the teams decisions I would find another favorite team or stop following the sport entirely. I would not sit back and complain and try to convince everyone to agree with my personal opinions and convictions.

My only goal is watch sports and teams that I enjoy following. My adult son said something in jest one time that I think could apply to being a football fan. At one time I wrote about and took photos for an auto racing publication. The Outlaws were in town and I knew a few of the drivers and asked my son if he wanted to go down to the pits and meet them after the races. He replied “no dad, I compare sports heroes to strippers. I just want to watch them do their thing and don’t want to know their drama”. In spite of being a humorous analogy it makes a lot of sense. I just want to watch the Vikings, go to an occasional game and escape the problems of life for a few hours. I don’r care about the drama and will defer those choices to people more knowledgeable than me. That philosophy has gotten me through 61 years of Vikings chaos.

So, how about that draft? Overall I am pleased with it and am looking forward to the coming season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:02 am I thought this thread was a discussion about the draft and not about the criminal justice system. The way I look at sports is that it’s a diversion from daily life. I leave the draft and selecting players up to the Vikings and any legal issues involving players up to the legal system. When I player is exonerated of charges I take it at face value. If for some reason I had personal objections to the teams decisions I would find another favorite team or stop following the sport entirely. I would not sit back and complain and try to convince everyone to agree with my personal opinions and convictions.

My only goal is watch sports and teams that I enjoy following. My adult son said something in jest one time that I think could apply to being a football fan. At one time I wrote about and took photos for an auto racing publication. The Outlaws were in town and I knew a few of the drivers and asked my son if he wanted to go down to the pits and meet them after the races. He replied “no dad, I compare sports heroes to strippers. I just want to watch them do their thing and don’t want to know their drama”. In spite of being a humorous analogy it makes a lot of sense. I just want to watch the Vikings, go to an occasional game and escape the problems of life for a few hours. I don’r care about the drama and will defer those choices to people more knowledgeable than me. That philosophy has gotten me through 61 years of Vikings chaos.

So, how about that draft? Overall I am pleased with it and am looking forward to the coming season.
Where do you live, man? We need to go to a game sometime. The more I read your posts, the more I like you.

I’m with you. This is a diversion. It’s entertainment. It’s not life. I get jacked when we win, I’m down when we lose, and I love to talk Vikings football, but in the end, my life isn’t defined by what the Minnesota Vikings do or don’t do. I have a wife who has loved me for 41 years, two amazing sons, two beautiful and kind daughters-in-law, and four grandchildren who melt my heart just thinking about them. What pro football players do when they’re not on the field is not going to make or break my day.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I like both Cine and Booth picks. Think both make sense for needs, value, and potential ceilings. Booth is an obvious...we need cbs bad. After no chance on Stingley or Gardner, Booth has the next highest shutdown potential imo. Injuries / health are why he slide. I hope we did due diligence. Cine will allow us to move on from Smith in next year or two. Don't remember his contract details off top of head. Bynum and Cine could be future safties. This year having Cine with Smith could be very exciting for a disguise standpoint.

Asamoah I think is going to be a good nfl lb. I am also biased and can recognize that. Heh. I do think we took him a little early, nothing horrible on value though.

Ed Ingram I know little about. I didn't expect us to go og in the draft after the fa signings. Someone has to compete with Bradbury at C now, really thought we'd draft a late rounder just for competition. Not sure if Ingram or
    Wyatt Davis or Jesse Davis have experience? I thought I read Ingram was viewed as multiple positional potential, yet hasn't played C in college. Maybe they were just referring to both guard spots. Which Cleveland has LG locked down.

Haven't been able to read much on our later picks.

I also think that no qb drafted means they want to see what Mond is.

Man I hope one of our thirds from last season at least get a chance with the new staff.
    VikingsVictorious
    Hall of Fame Inductee

StanM wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:02 am I thought this thread was a discussion about the draft and not about the criminal justice system. The way I look at sports is that it’s a diversion from daily life. I leave the draft and selecting players up to the Vikings and any legal issues involving players up to the legal system. When I player is exonerated of charges I take it at face value. If for some reason I had personal objections to the teams decisions I would find another favorite team or stop following the sport entirely. I would not sit back and complain and try to convince everyone to agree with my personal opinions and convictions.

I'd give our draft a solid B+ and I'm excited to see how the new players work out. Sorry for getting into it a bit with Stump, but I don't like just letting him go unchallenged.
    VikingsVictorious
    Hall of Fame Inductee

makila wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:33 am
      I like both Cine and Booth picks. Think both make sense for needs, value, and potential ceilings. Booth is an obvious...we need cbs bad. After no chance on Stingley or Gardner, Booth has the next highest shutdown potential imo. Injuries / health are why he slide. I hope we did due diligence. Cine will allow us to move on from Smith in next year or two. Don't remember his contract details off top of head. Bynum and Cine could be future safties. This year having Cine with Smith could be very exciting for a disguise standpoint.

Asamoah I think is going to be a good nfl lb. I am also biased and can recognize that. Heh. I do think we took him a little early, nothing horrible on value though.

Ed Ingram I know little about. I didn't expect us to go og in the draft after the fa signings. Someone has to compete with Bradbury at C now, really thought we'd draft a late rounder just for competition. Not sure if Ingram or
      Wyatt Davis or Jesse Davis have experience? I thought I read Ingram was viewed as multiple positional potential, yet hasn't played C in college. Maybe they were just referring to both guard spots. Which Cleveland has LG locked down.

Haven't been able to read much on our later picks.

I also think that no qb drafted means they want to see what Mond is.

Man I hope one of our thirds from last season at least get a chance with the new staff.
      It would be great if even one of Mond, Davis, Surratt or the pass rusher who I forget his name turns out so our 4 3rd round picks from last year weren't completely worthless. I was a fan of Spielman, but if he only gets one decent player out of last years draft that shows me we did the right thing firing him.
      JJBreaksRecords
      Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Not big on the draft, but it looks a bit more promising now than when the Vikings made it. That first trade was horrible. Not to come out from that with a first round pick for next year is insane. The Lion fans are right, KAM got owned. Didnt like all the trading but have to hope Kwe knows what he is doing. People keep say the Vikings can coach this team up, but it would have been better to get a few players we didnt have to coach up so much.

Cine and Booth will start this year (maybe hah) so that should be nice, but if Tylor turns out to be a good backup, and maybe a replacement for Cook, it will be a good draft. Even with the bad trade.
      VikingLord
      Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:59 pm I like the picks we made but simply didn’t like the value we got in trades. Mainly the first trade we made with Detroit. I also didn’t like that we handed both Detroit and GB much needed WRs. Sure, maybe they could’ve landed them after us anyways but again, let them battle a trade out with another team, don’t hand them what they want on a silver platter.
      I agree for the most part.

I'm not happy that the Lions got in trade probably the best WR in this draft when healthy, and the Packers got in trade probably the WR in this draft with the highest ceiling. I feel like both of those players can be dominant at their position, and the Vikings have to face both twice a year for a long time to come.

Not sure if Cine and Booth will rise to that level, but I'm pretty confident both can become solid starters. KAM will get a good test of his "equivalence" theory of top players and the value of higher picks at least twice every year for a while now.

In regards to the Ed Ingram pick, purely on the basis of his college performance and ceiling, he seemed like a reach where the Vikings took him. Last year I thought Wyatt Davis was going to slot in at guard. Now it doesn't look like that is going to happen and we're hoping Ingram can slot in.

I generally liked the later round picks starting with Evans and Chandler, both of whom have a lot of upside.

Overall, I don't see any immediate difference-makers in this class, but it's pretty rare to get those, so I can't knock KAM for it. I'm going to be watching how some of the guys KAM passed up perform like Hamilton and Davis.
      VikingLord
      Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:45 am I'd give our draft a solid B+ and I'm excited to see how the new players work out. Sorry for getting into it a bit with Stump, but I don't like just letting him go unchallenged.
      I'll give it a B for now, mostly because I didn't like the return on value in the trades. Players picked are fine, but I also knock KAM a bit for under-valuing the talent available at #12 and the overall value of #12 in the draft itself. His theory was the talent level was pretty flat out to around pick 75. The fact he traded with two teams in his own division and both took talented WR prospects will give him a chance to evaluate that view twice every year now for a few years at least. Meanwhile, there are two highly-regarded players who he passed up at #12 in Hamilton and Davis who will be interesting to watch to see how their careers evolve.
      VikingLord
      Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 pm This was by far the most disappointed I have been with my favorite team and I cannot believe we drafted a guy who was indicted by a grand jury for aggravated sexual assault against children.

Not sure how people can put that aside and still like this draft. Just disgusting that Kwesi would even consider drafting someone like that and no amount of analytics should warrant adding a man who only escaped prison because he was lucky enough his victims didn't show up to testify. Something all too common in a criminal justice system that treats victims of these cases like they are criminals themselves.
      I didn't hear if KAM addressed this in any of his post-draft comments or questions. If he did, do you know what he said about it? I honestly don't know but I am guessing it must have come up.