Draft Day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Draft Day thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

The Vikings announce they've signed 9 UDFAs

Mike Brown, S, Miami (OH)
Thomas Hennigan, WR, App St.
Bryant Koback, RB, Toledo
Zach McCloud, OLB, Miami
Josh Sokol, C, Sacred Heart
Tyarise Stevenson, DT, Tulsa
Tré Turner, WR, VT
Luiji Vilain, OLB, Wake Forest
Ryan Wright, P, Tulane
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

After digesting it all I've come up with the one key to how this draft is going to look in a few years. It all comes down to Andrew Booth. He has potential to be the best CB in this draft, but it could end up being a completely wasted pick if his health issues keep him down. The very definition of boom or bust. Getting him at 42 could easily be the steal of the 2022 NFL draft.

In Kwesi's post draft interview he addressed the issue of trading within the division very well IMO.
He said you have to consider the player your opponent is going to get and that you will have to play against him twice every season, but since they can trade with someone else to get that same player your only way to stop it is by picking that player yourself. If you're not willing to do that then you might as well consider what your own team can get with the assets and how they are going to have to play against him or them twice a year.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:11 pm

Off field history? That's putting it lightly. Those that had a problem with Deshaun should be sick the Vikings picked Ingram.
Don't know what he was accused of but it appears charges were dropped, no? That doesn't make him innocent any more than the initial charges made him guilty, so I guess its best left alone unless one has a lot more information than I do.
Ingram was charged with two felony counts of aggravated sexual assault of a minor.

Before you say, "yes, but the charges were dropped", just keep in mind that about 0.7 percent of rapes and attempted rapes end with a felony conviction.

Just to add, Watson has never been criminally charged, and the accusations, while creepy and grotesque, doesn't come close to what Ingram was arrested for.

"The details of Ingram’s case have remained murky ever since his arrest. It’s been reported that the DeSoto Police Department (Texas) was contacted by Child Protective Services on Aug. 22, 2017 regarding Ingram, and while state authorities confirmed that the victim was a minor, and that Ingram’s bond prohibited him from “contact with any minor child,” Texas attorney general Ken Paxton placed the case under seal, so no documents were made publicly available.

A series of documents from Ingram’s case outline the allegations against him. Ingram was accused by two sisters of repeatedly sexually assaulting them during a period that began when Ingram was almost 16 and when the two girls were under the age of 14. The notice of offenses does not list the precise dates of any of the alleged assaults, though the document offers descriptions of alleged assaults that occurred in a yearlong window spanning almost all of 2015 (Ingram turned 16 in February of 2015).

According to the documents, Ingram was first accused of putting his fingers in the older sister’s vagina while she was sleeping. She says she told him she did not like it and wanted him to stop, which he did. The victim told her mother and one other person, whose relationship to her is not made clear in the documents, that Ingram “would put his hand down [her] pants and touch her private part.”

The younger sister says she saw Ingram pull her sister’s pants down, and also heard her telling Ingram to stop. The younger sister also alleged a similar assault, and the documents outline a suite of other accusations, which include Ingram assaulting them anally and vaginally with his penis “on more than one occasion” over a period that spans one year. Both victims told adults about what happened, and the case was referred to DeSoto Child Protective Services.

Ingram’s trial was delayed several times before the charges were ultimately dropped last week (09/2019) as first reported by The Advocate.

https://deadspin.com/court-documents-ls ... 371539/amp
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 67ca8.html
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:41 am
fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm

Don't know what he was accused of but it appears charges were dropped, no? That doesn't make him innocent any more than the initial charges made him guilty, so I guess its best left alone unless one has a lot more information than I do.
Ingram was charged with two felony counts of aggravated sexual assault of a minor.
You're now charging him in the court of public opinion for things that may or may not have happened when he was a 15 year old minor himself. I don't know what the Vikings found out in their investigation, but they decided he was worth offering a job.
Louisiana State University suspended him pending the outcome of the charges and decided he was OK to be reinstated.

He may be guilty of what you shared from over 7 years ago. However the much more complete court records are sealed and none of us know what was in them. Maybe the charges were dropped because the girls admitted they made it all up. Or maybe they were just young people experimenting sexually and the parents found out so they made up a cover story. The courts decided not to pursue it and that's what I decide to do also.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:44 pm I sure would like to have received Detroit's 1st next year. Hopefully that WR they drafted doesn't burn us for years.
Well we could say that about Williams whether or not they used our trade to get him, no? Same with Watson - GB certainly could have traded with others to get him.

And Kwesi's point seems to be if they could acquire them through other means, why shouldn't we "benefit" from such trades instead of some rando team?

So at what point is a GM responsible to keep players OFF division rivals versus being worried about who is on OUR roster?

I'd say trying to keep players off of division rival rosters during a draft is about 437th on a GM's list of things to get done. So I won't care one iota if and when Williams and Watson bloom into good players - very likely they would've ended up on those rosters anyway.

But absolutely, we will have calls for public firings the first time either one scores against us.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:51 pm I stood up for Kwesi and the new regime. However, we continue to make poor draft picks. I am totally underwhelmed by the players taken, in general. I feel that Kwesi did a very good job of trading, but I now view our scouts as the problem.
Why do we always miss and have poor depth? The scouts are the same from the previous regime, I believe.

Imo, very poor drafting today !
What pissed me off the most with this draft is trading down. The cream is at the top not the bottom. We need some top talented players. Top talent make others around them better because they get the attention. I thought the traderdown train was stopped. We just got more comfortable in the same seat. I hate trading away from the talent. Traderdown Kwesi. I can see next year already. Sitting at 14 and trading down to 28 for nothing and not getting the top player at the position. Can't build a team like that.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

psjordan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:43 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:44 pm I sure would like to have received Detroit's 1st next year. Hopefully that WR they drafted doesn't burn us for years.
Well we could say that about Williams whether or not they used our trade to get him, no? Same with Watson - GB certainly could have traded with others to get him.

And Kwesi's point seems to be if they could acquire them through other means, why shouldn't we "benefit" from such trades instead of some rando team?

So at what point is a GM responsible to keep players OFF division rivals versus being worried about who is on OUR roster?

I'd say trying to keep players off of division rival rosters during a draft is about 437th on a GM's list of things to get done. So I won't care one iota if and when Williams and Watson bloom into good players - very likely they would've ended up on those rosters anyway.

But absolutely, we will have calls for public firings the first time either one scores against us.
Great post. You listened to Kwesi's press conference like me right. Not trading within your division is a flat out silly idea.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am
IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:51 pm I stood up for Kwesi and the new regime. However, we continue to make poor draft picks. I am totally underwhelmed by the players taken, in general. I feel that Kwesi did a very good job of trading, but I now view our scouts as the problem.
Why do we always miss and have poor depth? The scouts are the same from the previous regime, I believe.

Imo, very poor drafting today !
What pissed me off the most with this draft is trading down. The cream is at the top not the bottom. We need some top talented players. Top talent make others around them better because they get the attention. I thought the traderdown train was stopped. We just got more comfortable in the same seat. I hate trading away from the talent. Traderdown Kwesi. I can see next year already. Sitting at 14 and trading down to 28 for nothing and not getting the top player at the position. Can't build a team like that.
I didn't like his trade down in the first round. I loved it in the second round. Who did you see as the top talent we traded away from? IIRC it was Hamilton right. To me it was Jordan Davis and to others it was the guy Detroit took Jameson Williams.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

CharVike wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am What pissed me off the most with this draft is trading down.
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:56 am I didn't like his trade down in the first round.
You guys do realize that the only trade down was 12 to 32 - and literally every other pick (before 7th) was a trade up?

Just in the first 120 picks, we had going into the draft #12, 46 and 77.
After early trades we had: #32, 43, 59, 66 and 118.

Cost us a 2023 #4 along the way as well.

We can kick around all day whether #12 lands you a player that is worth skipping the move ups and additional picks. That's legit. Call it Cine vs Hamilton, and the real question is the DIFFERENCE between those two worth getting the moved-up picks?

To label this a "tradedown" draft, or Kwesi as a "tradedowner" is simply not accurate. He moved up all over the board.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

psjordan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:26 am
CharVike wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am What pissed me off the most with this draft is trading down.
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:56 am I didn't like his trade down in the first round.
You guys do realize that the only trade down was 12 to 32 - and literally every other pick (before 7th) was a trade up?

Just in the first 120 picks, we had going into the draft #12, 46 and 77.
After early trades we had: #32, 43, 59, 66 and 118.

Cost us a 2023 #4 along the way as well.

We can kick around all day whether #12 lands you a player that is worth skipping the move ups and additional picks. That's legit. Call it Cine vs Hamilton, and the real question is the DIFFERENCE between those two worth getting the moved-up picks?

To label this a "tradedown" draft, or Kwesi as a "tradedowner" is simply not accurate. He moved up all over the board.
He made at least three trade down moves. The one with the Lions, The one with the Pukers, and the one sending the 4th round pick to Vegas for 2 fifth rounders. Due to the move in the first round moving us up in the 2nd round and the third round. We eventually got a 4th round pick which we didn't have. So looking at it from that angle we did a lot of moving up, but to me that's spin. I liked the tradedown trade with the Pukers.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:53 pm He made at least three trade down moves. The one with the Lions, The one with the Pukers, and the one sending the 4th round pick to Vegas for 2 fifth rounders. Due to the move in the first round moving us up in the 2nd round and the third round. We eventually got a 4th round pick which we didn't have. So looking at it from that angle we did a lot of moving up, but to me that's spin. I liked the tradedown trade with the Pukers.
Not all desired moves can be accomplished in one transaction. Just because it took more than one trade to get there does not mean it's "spin", not to me anyways.

Fact remains other than the 12-to-32 move, if you compare where we started to where we ended, we moved up all over the place.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

To me, Jameson Williams is the pick or Jordan Davis.
I am all about being the aggressive team. I want to look for opportunities to be special and beat teams. Williams would have created so many mismatches on offense. Would have had DC scratching their heads all week long. So many 1 on 1 opportunities.
Davis would have been able to help create more rush on the interior causing the pocket to collapse.
I feel the approach was to build a roster to slow down the other teams. This draft was about getting faster and longer on the defensive side of the ball. They found many future replacement players for FA signings and I see us letting some guys walk in the near future.
It is the 1st draft and year 1 for the new offense and defense. 2023 draft will hopefully have elite playmakers where we see the need.
I always play the aggressor when building rosters and in my coaching philosophy. There is a lot of upside with these picks. The roster turnover next year will also be interesting to see.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

psjordan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:25 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:53 pm He made at least three trade down moves. The one with the Lions, The one with the Pukers, and the one sending the 4th round pick to Vegas for 2 fifth rounders. Due to the move in the first round moving us up in the 2nd round and the third round. We eventually got a 4th round pick which we didn't have. So looking at it from that angle we did a lot of moving up, but to me that's spin. I liked the tradedown trade with the Pukers.
Not all desired moves can be accomplished in one transaction. Just because it took more than one trade to get there does not mean it's "spin", not to me anyways.

Fact remains other than the 12-to-32 move, if you compare where we started to where we ended, we moved up all over the place.
I mostly agree with you about the overall draft, but it is spin when you reword or phrase things to give a different perspective of the same events. We made at minimum 3 moves where we gave up the more valuable pick in the deal to get a bonus pick. I think we actually made 4 moves like that. So 4 tradedowns and two tradeups. Nothing wrong with that.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:32 pm To me, Jameson Williams is the pick or Jordan Davis.
I am all about being the aggressive team. I want to look for opportunities to be special and beat teams. Williams would have created so many mismatches on offense. Would have had DC scratching their heads all week long. So many 1 on 1 opportunities.
Davis would have been able to help create more rush on the interior causing the pocket to collapse.
I feel the approach was to build a roster to slow down the other teams. This draft was about getting faster and longer on the defensive side of the ball. They found many future replacement players for FA signings and I see us letting some guys walk in the near future.
It is the 1st draft and year 1 for the new offense and defense. 2023 draft will hopefully have elite playmakers where we see the need.
I always play the aggressor when building rosters and in my coaching philosophy. There is a lot of upside with these picks. The roster turnover next year will also be interesting to see.
With Williams he is very highly regarded. Reports I've heard have him playing anywhere from game 1 to not playing at all this year. We liked him, but had other priorities so we weren't going to take him regardless. If we had stayed at 12 we may have drafted Cine anyway. That's probably why we took less than usual value to trade back.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

My overall takeaway from this draft is that the new regime realized that this team was sorely lacking in overall young talent and depth. Thus the attempt anyway to get multiple picks in the early rounds. The trades that have me baffled though are the ones with the raiders. I am confused as to what the Vikings got out of those that helped.