Draft Day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Day thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 pm
Thank you for presenting an alternate point of view.

Here’s what I believe has happened.

The consensus this year among scouts and GMs — not the dudes who do mock drafts — is that maybe, MAYBE 15-18 players actually have as much as a first-round grade. That means everybody outside the top 18 probably shouldn’t be taken in the first round. I mean, Jahan Dotson went at 16, and lots of scouts had him as a 2nd rounder at best. He’s certainly no Justin Jefferson, who went at 22.

If you aren’t going to get real value at 12, then getting multiple early picks isn’t the worst strategy in the world. So maybe KAM, seeing that the truly best players were long gone by 12, got 32 & 34 because everybody after 15 was pretty much the same. Look, he didn’t trade for late rounders. These SHOULD be players who can contribute right away or even start.

Not thrilled about giving up 46 for 66, but I’m willing to wait and see how this shakes out. Like all draft-day trades, there’s no way of knowing how this will work out until the players put on the uniform and get on the field. But worst trade ever? Remember, this is the same franchise that moved up to draft Christian Ponder — at 12, ironically.
This sounds like the typical talking yourself into liking the move after we make it stuff. If the value ended at 18 we should have kept the pick and got somebody. Value is never flat from 12 to 32.
Thanks, but I don’t need you deciding what my motives are. I mean, are you really that arrogant?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

The last player I was psyched for at all DeVonte Wyatt just went.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm
This sounds like the typical talking yourself into liking the move after we make it stuff. If the value ended at 18 we should have kept the pick and got somebody. Value is never flat from 12 to 32.
Thanks, but I don’t need you deciding what my motives are. I mean, are you really that arrogant?
Not being arrogant at all. I didn't decide your motives at all. I made a comment. I've done it myself many times. It's what it sounded like to me.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

The consensus this year among scouts and GMs — not the dudes who do mock drafts — is that maybe, MAYBE 15-18 players actually have as much as a first-round grade.
So we trade out of a position to get any of those players. :govikes:
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

At this point I say we grab Willis. Why not? 5th year option. Develop him and see if we an option besides Cousins.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 pm
Cliff wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:09 pm In an attempt to be positive ...

It's possible nobody they thought was worth it was there at 12 and rather than force it they took what they could get. They've got what amounts to 2 low first rounders now and got an extra pick.

Anyway, we didn't want a traditional GM that is necessarily reading from the same point system chart that is used by every organization covering the draft.
Thank you for presenting an alternate point of view.

Here’s what I believe has happened.

The consensus this year among scouts and GMs — not the dudes who do mock drafts — is that maybe, MAYBE 15-18 players actually have as much as a first-round grade. That means everybody outside the top 18 probably shouldn’t be taken in the first round. I mean, Jahan Dotson went at 16, and lots of scouts had him as a 2nd rounder at best. He’s certainly no Justin Jefferson, who went at 22.

If you aren’t going to get real value at 12, then getting multiple early picks isn’t the worst strategy in the world. So maybe KAM, seeing that the truly best players were long gone by 12, got 32 & 34 because everybody after 15 was pretty much the same. Look, he didn’t trade for late rounders. These SHOULD be players who can contribute right away or even start.

Not thrilled about giving up 46 for 66, but I’m willing to wait and see how this shakes out. Like all draft-day trades, there’s no way of knowing how this will work out until the players put on the uniform and get on the field. But worst trade ever? Remember, this is the same franchise that moved up to draft Christian Ponder — at 12, ironically.
LOL, no offense on your take, but me, i just gotta laugh at it. Maybe now i can get some sleep. And watch DAMKAM trade away the rest of our trade and get 6th and 7th's. Theres value in them there picks!!
Last edited by JJBreaksRecords on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dakotavike wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17 pm At this point I say we grab Willis. Why not? 5th year option. Develop him and see if we an option besides Cousins.
It's probably because teams realize he won't be any good.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm
Dakotavike wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17 pm At this point I say we grab Willis. Why not? 5th year option. Develop him and see if we an option besides Cousins.
Sounds like he'd fit the Vikings trajectory then!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:11 pm The last player I was psyched for at all DeVonte Wyatt just went.
Excuse me. I was forgetting about the Greek Freak. Now everybody I like is gone.
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm
Maybe. But seems like you gotta keep swinging for that 'franchise QB' until you have one. And at this point in the draft I feel like there's as much potential as anybody else we'd take.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Kwesi getting fleeced by the Lions. Not a good start…
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Dang, Karlaftis almost made it to us
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Gordon or Booth at 32? Too high and wait?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Sounds like a QB the Vikings would draft to me.
GB drafts a DT/LB. Det drafts WR.
Maybe we traded back so we can draft to counter their picks! Next level! Trade in your division, and then counter draft later! Has this been done before?! They didn't know what was going to hit them.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I think it's Booth if we make the pick.