Mannion is back baby

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mannion is back baby

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:59 am
IIsweet wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:07 pm I think we just want to see a QB with upside should something bad happen to Cousins. Not a lot of confidence in Mannion to go out there and compete.
However, I think Mannion is probably great in the position meetings. He might be a future OC, have no idea. Probably is very supportive of KC. So they are very much on the same page.
Maybe we have that upside guy already in Mond.
Honestly, I agree with you on Mannion. He can't compete.

What he gives the Vikings is a security blanket for Cousins. It's sad that a man who makes that kind of money is so mentally fragile that he needs a Mannion to prop him up, but now that the Vikings have paid him (again), they have to support him. So I understand the Vikings signing Mannion.

It would be great if the third QB was the developmental guy with upside, so that if the starter went down, you'd bring in the No. 3 and have the No. 2 mentor him. Unfortunately, I doubt that guy is Kellen Mond.

Here's what Thor Nystrom, a draft expert with NBC Sports had to say about Mond (I'm actually taking the time to transcribe his comments from the Purple Daily podcast because it's very important):
I'm done with Kellen Mond. I was done with Kellen Mond when [the Vikings] picked him. The thing is that Kellen Mond is a developmental guy that you saw at the highest level of college football for four years, and he never jumped up. He was as good as a fourth-year senior as he was as a freshman. The game never went up. And he was surrounded by great players all four years. He had a great offensive line. He had a great coach his last year in Jimbo Fisher, who developed the No. 1 overall player at Florida State in Jameis Winston. He had everything he could possibly need around him, and his game never went up.

He's a dual-threat player with an arm who didn't throw down the field at Texas A&M and who never used his legs. What are we looking for here?
He also said that Mike Zimmer's comments after the Green Bay game, while very dick-ish, were true.

Courtney Cronin (now covering the Bears for ESPN ... boo!) said the pick of Mond was a "Spielman Special," that nobody on the Vikings wanted him except Spielman. It's unfortunate that the young man had to come into a situation like that, but if it's true, it's likely one of the reasons Spielman was fired. Certainly not the only thing, but a contributor to his exit.

It's very possible that we Vikings fans need to forget the Kellen Mond idea.
Speilman said the pick was recommended by Kubesteak which makes the most sense to me. Kubesteak has ties with Texas A & M and it's possible that he has some ties with IMG academy which Mond attended before Texas A & M. It don't matter because it was another Speilman pick flushed down the toilet. It wouldn't surprise me if Mond don't make the team. Mond can't throw outside the numbers. Yes Mannion sucks but how many teams out there have a backup that can play? Half the teams don't have a starter that should be playing. The guy the Packers have looks as bad a Mannion. They are sitting still also. We have bigger needs than a backup QB like CB and S to start. Plus a WR with speed and interior OL help. A FG kicker that can kick a straight ball when the games on the line would help also.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

People say its a money thing would cost a few million and we're tight on money, but you could at least get a plausible, serious backup QB for 2 or 3 million. We could have got, and I'm not saying I'm super duper in love with it and fist-pumping because you know, Gardner Minshew is on the roster, but the Eagles got him for well under 3 million. Man, I feel like you just got to say Mannion is a guy on staff and try to find a few million to have an actual back up like Minshew to give you that like, 20 to 30 percent chance to win a game. Mannion in for that GB game was, "well, time to do chores around the house" 0 percent chance we'd win that game. Didn't even get 200 net yards out of him, there was no chance we'd win. Am I saying Gardner Minshew or something like that is the same chance as Cousins? No, they're backups for a reason, but sheesh, give yourself a chance! The guy is 0-3 in his last 3 games, there's just NOTHING there with Sean Mannion. In one of his starts with us he was 126 yards, no passing or rushing TDs, 2 picks and a fumble I think.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Hunter Morrow wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:20 pm People say its a money thing would cost a few million and we're tight on money, but you could at least get a plausible, serious backup QB for 2 or 3 million. We could have got, and I'm not saying I'm super duper in love with it and fist-pumping because you know, Gardner Minshew is on the roster, but the Eagles got him for well under 3 million. Man, I feel like you just got to say Mannion is a guy on staff and try to find a few million to have an actual back up like Minshew to give you that like, 20 to 30 percent chance to win a game. Mannion in for that GB game was, "well, time to do chores around the house" 0 percent chance we'd win that game. Didn't even get 200 net yards out of him, there was no chance we'd win. Am I saying Gardner Minshew or something like that is the same chance as Cousins? No, they're backups for a reason, but sheesh, give yourself a chance! The guy is 0-3 in his last 3 games, there's just NOTHING there with Sean Mannion. In one of his starts with us he was 126 yards, no passing or rushing TDs, 2 picks and a fumble I think.
Everyone knows Mannion sucks. He's a backup. If a team has a great backup then they could get some decent picks because the need for starters is through the roof. Cooper Rush appears to be a fantastic backup. He looked like Joe Montanna against Zim's D last year. Threw great and like Joe lead them to a last drive victory. That's nerves of steel. A winner. The Boys have cut him before. Bottom line the guy sucks just like our guy. When Dak was chocking during last years home playoff game they never turned to Cooper. Mannion was forced to play against the Packers who have a decent D and you know Zim told Kubesteak don't put the ball up unless it's absolutely necessary or I will can your lame a$$ at halftime and I'll take over. There was no chance for Mannion in that game. Zim was hoping for another miracle because that's the only hope he had at that point. Last thing he wanted was a bunch of ints from Mannion which would have taken a possible miracle off the table.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:51 pm
Hunter Morrow wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:20 pm People say its a money thing would cost a few million and we're tight on money, but you could at least get a plausible, serious backup QB for 2 or 3 million. We could have got, and I'm not saying I'm super duper in love with it and fist-pumping because you know, Gardner Minshew is on the roster, but the Eagles got him for well under 3 million. Man, I feel like you just got to say Mannion is a guy on staff and try to find a few million to have an actual back up like Minshew to give you that like, 20 to 30 percent chance to win a game. Mannion in for that GB game was, "well, time to do chores around the house" 0 percent chance we'd win that game. Didn't even get 200 net yards out of him, there was no chance we'd win. Am I saying Gardner Minshew or something like that is the same chance as Cousins? No, they're backups for a reason, but sheesh, give yourself a chance! The guy is 0-3 in his last 3 games, there's just NOTHING there with Sean Mannion. In one of his starts with us he was 126 yards, no passing or rushing TDs, 2 picks and a fumble I think.
Everyone knows Mannion sucks. He's a backup. If a team has a great backup then they could get some decent picks because the need for starters is through the roof. Cooper Rush appears to be a fantastic backup. He looked like Joe Montanna against Zim's D last year. Threw great and like Joe lead them to a last drive victory. That's nerves of steel. A winner. The Boys have cut him before. Bottom line the guy sucks just like our guy. When Dak was chocking during last years home playoff game they never turned to Cooper. Mannion was forced to play against the Packers who have a decent D and you know Zim told Kubesteak don't put the ball up unless it's absolutely necessary or I will can your lame a$$ at halftime and I'll take over. There was no chance for Mannion in that game. Zim was hoping for another miracle because that's the only hope he had at that point. Last thing he wanted was a bunch of ints from Mannion which would have taken a possible miracle off the table.
Bears just signed Trevor Sieman to backup Fields so one trick Nick is available. Foles is a Super Bowl winner played at a very high level through out the playoffs. A proven winner who plays better as the stakes get higher. 10 million salary and will cost something. There's the upgraded. Will need to cut some bodies I guess. Bears also signed Dakota Dozier. They have some cap and wast it on that.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:14 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:51 pm
Bears just signed Trevor Sieman to backup Fields so one trick Nick is available. Foles is a Super Bowl winner played at a very high level through out the playoffs. A proven winner who plays better as the stakes get higher. 10 million salary and will cost something. There's the upgraded. Will need to cut some bodies I guess. Bears also signed Dakota Dozier. They have some cap and wast it on that.
First off, he would not cost 10 million to the team trading for him and would instead cost 4 million. Second, the Bears would likely give up a 7th to get rid of his 1 million guaranteed left on his deal. He will be cut and the Vikings can sign him for the vet minimum unless some team gets really desperate. Which is probably what the Bears are waiting for.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:43 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:14 pm
First off, he would not cost 10 million to the team trading for him and would instead cost 4 million. Second, the Bears would likely give up a 7th to get rid of his 1 million guaranteed left on his deal. He will be cut and the Vikings can sign him for the vet minimum unless some team gets really desperate. Which is probably what the Bears are waiting for.
Salary was wrong. That's total compensation. Sportac has a total of 10.6 million when everything is kicked in. I guess if a team trades for him they will redo it. It don't really matter because our backup QB has been settled. We can't waste time or CAP worrying about that position anymore. We have much bigger concerns like getting some players to compete at other positions like CB ect.... We need to finish the 1st team before we worry about the backups.