Vikes sign Zadarius Smith

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

makila
Franchise Player

Re: Vikes sign Zadarius Smith

Post by makila »

As Kapp posted, yesterday they converted Hunter's bonus from roster to signing. Smith has posted this to his Twitter.
https://twitter.com/zadariussmith/statu ... edrHw&s=19
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Good read. Since it was put out, it's been reported by Field Yates that Hunter's bonus was converted from roster to signing, so that part of the article isn't 100% accurate now, though I suppose just saying "restructure" could mean a lot of different things. Article is from yesterday.

By Arif Hasan Mar 22, 2022 44

The Minnesota Vikings have signed former Green Bay Packers and Baltimore Ravens edge rusher Za’Darius Smith in a deal worth $42 million over three years, with incentives that could push it up to $47 million.

After allowing Danielle Hunter’s $18 million roster bonus to activate, this likely sets the Vikings up to have a devastating duo of pass rushers in 2022. In the last season both Smith and Hunter were completely healthy, 2019, they were first and second in the league in pressures produced, per Pro Football Focus.

A pass rusher opposite Hunter was a big need heading into the offseason and something the Vikings tried and failed to resolve in 2021 with the re-signing of defensive end Everson Griffen. The 14th-ranked free agent in Sheil Kapadia’s free agency rankings, Smith, 29, represents a splashy solution to that problem — an opportunity that only opened up after Smith committed to and then de-committed from the Ravens last week. Smith will be reunited with his former outside linebackers coach in Green Bay, Mike Smith.

How he fits: Za’Darius Smith has extensive experience in 3-4 systems, though this particular one is new to him. Easing the transition will be Mike Smith and defensive assistant Mike Pettine, who should be able to fine-tune the system to fit what the pass-rusher does best. Lining up opposite Hunter should help both edge defenders and could lead to even better pressure numbers.

Because of injuries, Smith and Hunter are both gambles at the position, however, and that’s one reason both can fit under the cap. Neither played a full 2021; Hunter played seven games and Smith just one.

While both have injury concerns, their most recent stretches of play showcased high-level, borderline elite production. If they can continue at that level, it would be tough for opposing quarterbacks to get the ball out on time, which would help the Vikings’ depleted secondary.

2022 impact: The Vikings might not be pigeonholed into drafting an edge rusher early and will have the ability to develop their roster of young pass rushers more organically. With recent mid-round draft picks like D.J. Wonnum, Patrick Jones and Janarius Robinson along with late-round selection Kenny Willekes, there’s a lot of potential there if the Vikings can take their time. Meanwhile, they have an instant impact up front that should make life tough for opposing offenses. Both Hunter and Smith bring high-level run defense to go with their elite pass-rush capability.

Not only that, Smith’s contract comes a little cheaper than pass rushers tend to cost, which should give Minnesota some flexibility as it continues to manage its stressed salary cap. For now, the Vikings’ front seven only needs an interior defensive lineman with pass-rush capability to go along with Dalvin Tomlinson and new signing Harrison Phillips.

History: Smith was initially a three-star recruit who attended East Mississippi Community College, of “Last Chance U” fame, before transferring to Kentucky. In his final year at Kentucky, he didn’t produce eye-popping numbers, with 4.5 sacks and seven tackles for loss. His combine numbers weren’t particularly impressive, either, but a fast 40 time caught the attention of scouts. He was drafted by the Ravens in the fourth round and was slotted into a backup role behind outside linebacker Terrell Suggs.

He played 40-50 percent of the available snaps in his first three years with Baltimore before 2018, when he started half of the games and played about 70 percent of the defensive snaps. After the 2018 season, he was a coveted free agent and signed a four-year deal with the Packers worth $66 million, an average of $16.5 million per year. That immediately bore fruit for Green Bay, who benefitted from his league-leading 105 pressures to go with his 13.5 sacks. His follow-up campaign in 2020 was almost as impressive with 12.5 sacks but fewer total pressures. A back injury before the 2021 season derailed that momentum, and he only played in the first game of the season before hitting injured reserve.

In preparation for their megadeal to retain Aaron Rodgers, the Packers released Smith earlier this month and he entered the open market. At first, he committed to re-signing with the Baltimore Ravens for four years and $35 million, an $8.75 million average. He later backed out of the deal and started exploring free agency again, possibly because of the deals that Von Miller and Chandler Jones earned as veteran pass rushers, both of whom are older than Smith. While he didn’t achieve the annual averages that either Miller or Jones pulled in their deals ($20 million and $17.5 million), he was wise to attempt to find a better deal, receiving an average value with Minnesota that was 60 percent higher than his first reported deal.

Cap update: With the addition of Smith, there still needs to be some movement to get the Vikings under the cap. Before this deal, the Vikings had just over $1 million in cap space after the Kirk Cousins extension and the decision to cut Michael Pierce. That won’t be enough to carry Smith’s cap hit regardless of structure. There should be some opportunities to create room, however, with restructures possible for Danielle Hunter, Eric Kendricks, Harrison Smith and/or Adam Thielen.

Outlook: Minnesota’s offense was better positioned to succeed than the defense last season, but the Vikings have been making moves to improve the defense, adding players like Phillips and Jordan Hicks. Smith is a potentially bigger piece than the other two and is capable of taking the defense from mediocre to above average. Some smart investments and luck might move it even further in the right direction and could mean a more complete team in 2022.

https://theathletic.com/3201141/2022/03 ... minnesota/
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:24 pm
I was SOOOO disappointed when we signed him at the last minute for way too much money.
I was trying to be optimistic and trust that Zimmer knew what he was doing. Deep down I knew better.
I think the overall view was that it wasn't the right move to keep him. Zim and Barr were joined at the hip and Barr had a good career with us. He went to 4 straight pro bowls. Not much the last 3 years or so which is a long time. But Smith has proven to be the better 3-4 rusher and Barr never showed much of that ability. Of course in a 4-3 the RDE is your pass rusher. If Smith is healthy he's a good player and can get after the QB. That's the name of the game it's been like that since I started watching 50 years ago.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:32 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:33 pm

I was trying to be optimistic and trust that Zimmer knew what he was doing. Deep down I knew better.
I think the overall view was that it wasn't the right move to keep him. Zim and Barr were joined at the hip and Barr had a good career with us. He went to 4 straight pro bowls. Not much the last 3 years or so which is a long time. But Smith has proven to be the better 3-4 rusher and Barr never showed much of that ability. Of course in a 4-3 the RDE is your pass rusher. If Smith is healthy he's a good player and can get after the QB. That's the name of the game it's been like that since I started watching 50 years ago.
Yeah I'm honestly not sure how Barr earned enough votes take the pro bowl. He never had over 100 tackles in a season. His best season was probably last year as he had a career high 3 INTs. He never produced many sacks. Maybe he got a lot of pressures? He definitely wasn't Ray Lewis or Khalil Mack. To me he was the invisible man. Zimmer loved something though. If this tandem stays healthy I think we will have a much better pass rusher. I'm not sure who will get push up the middle though or cover WRs.

The NFC appears weak this year so I see the Vikings sneaking in the playoffs. I'd rate the pecking order: Bucs, Rams, Packers, Cowboys, Cardinals, 49ers (we will see how the new QB plays), then Vikings. I see us making the playoffs barely and getting obliterated by the Rams with stories floating all week of McVay vs. his protégé.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Great signing!! The sounds of Hunter, Smith, Phillips and Tomlinson as our DL sounds amazing. Add in Kendricks and Hicks. Now if we can just fix the back end.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:43 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:32 am
Yeah I'm honestly not sure how Barr earned enough votes take the pro bowl. He never had over 100 tackles in a season. His best season was probably last year as he had a career high 3 INTs. He never produced many sacks. Maybe he got a lot of pressures? He definitely wasn't Ray Lewis or Khalil Mack. To me he was the invisible man. Zimmer loved something though. If this tandem stays healthy I think we will have a much better pass rusher. I'm not sure who will get push up the middle though or cover WRs.

The NFC appears weak this year so I see the Vikings sneaking in the playoffs. I'd rate the pecking order: Bucs, Rams, Packers, Cowboys, Cardinals, 49ers (we will see how the new QB plays), then Vikings. I see us making the playoffs barely and getting obliterated by the Rams with stories floating all week of McVay vs. his protégé.
Those six teams you posted really aren't that much better than us. The Packers and Bucs are the top 2 because of the QBs they have and overall good teams except the Packers ST blew all season. That 49er team was beat on the last drive. That was there 3rd road game in a row which is tough. Under their HC they play good football in a win or out deal. Jimmy G gets heat but he wins in the playoffs. Call me a fool but if things break for us we will be a much stronger team. I'm not talking pie in the sky #### either. Just being healthy will be a huge kick up. I know injuries are part of the deal and guys will get hurt this year but when you lose your best Hunter that wreaks the entire piece. I don't see teams obliterating us. I like what these new people are doing and it's not like the focus is one part. They look at the big picture and that starts with the cap and filters done to all areas. Plus it looks like the players are joining in. That's key. Plus our STs were a horror show under Zim. You can't win with that. I don't see that continuing. It can't. It looks like the older guy will be given the ability to take over the D. KOC will let him do his thing. That's smart. Plus having a new scheme will give opposing teams a problem. I'm going to stay positive about them until they screw up. If I see a trade down for a garbage pick during the draft that will be the screw up. Make teams pay or tell them to move on and lose the player.
Barr never did anything for me.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:09 am Great signing!! The sounds of Hunter, Smith, Phillips and Tomlinson as our DL sounds amazing. Add in Kendricks and Hicks. Now if we can just fix the back end.
Do you think this is enough to improve the run defense? I still feel they haven't addressed this. Isn't a 3-4 defense weaker against the run?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:09 am Great signing!! The sounds of Hunter, Smith, Phillips and Tomlinson as our DL sounds amazing. Add in Kendricks and Hicks. Now if we can just fix the back end.
Do you think this is enough to improve the run defense? I still feel they haven't addressed this. Isn't a 3-4 defense weaker against the run?
Adding Harrison Phillips and Jordan Hicks definitely help. Hicks is a really good run defender. But yes a 3-4 allows offensive lineman to get to the 2nd level a little easier. However, given the pieces we have up front I think it looks promising. There's a few ways to set up a 3-4 and I'm not sure what Donatell's plan is but it could look something like this....

1 tech- Phillips
3 tech- Tomlinson
5 tech- Watts
Leo- Hunter
SAM- Smith
Mike- Kendricks
Will- Hicks

OR

1 tech- Phillips
3 tech- Tomlinson
5 tech- Hunter
Leo- Smith
SAM- ??
Mike- Kendricks
Will- Hicks

I think it will be some sort of combination like this. I honestly dont mind plugging Watts into that other DL spot. I actually thought he played fairly decent in spot duty last year. Not sure he can take on a starting role but I'd be willing to try.

But for the most part, the players we have within this front 7 are are good to great run defenders so I would hope we can really improve it. I think staying healthy would be the key. Especially Hunter given he is elite vs. both the run and the pass.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Wonnum was arguably the worst run defender in the NFL last season, so getting him off the field should improve the run D significantly all on its own.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:25 am

Wonnum was arguably the worst run defender in the NFL last season, so getting him off the field should improve the run D significantly all on its own.
Yeah I remember mentioning that during the year. Wonnum was constantly flushed out vs. the run. I like Wonnum as a situational rusher, but he drastically hurts us against the run. Hunter on the other hand is elite in both areas. We know Smith is good against the pass but anyone know what his run defense is like?
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:25 am

Yeah I remember mentioning that during the year. Wonnum was constantly flushed out vs. the run. I like Wonnum as a situational rusher, but he drastically hurts us against the run. Hunter on the other hand is elite in both areas. We know Smith is good against the pass but anyone know what his run defense is like?
I read somewhere that Smith’s run defense is at least as good as Hunter’s.

If Smith stays healthy, this has the potential to be one of the Vikings’ best free agent signings in years.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:39 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 am

I read somewhere that Smith’s in defense is at least as good as Hunter’s.

If Smith stays healthy, this has the potential to be one of the Vikings’ best free agent signings in years.
I hope you're right. What I don't get is him agreeing to 8.75 million a year when it was so easy for him to get 14. That deal did have incentives that could have brought it up to 12.5 million. Our deal has incentives that could bring it up to almost 16 Million.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:51 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:39 am
I read somewhere that Smith’s in defense is at least as good as Hunter’s.

I hope you're right. What I don't get is him agreeing to 8.75 million a year when it was so easy for him to get 14. That deal did have incentives that could have brought it up to 12.5 million. Our deal has incentives that could bring it up to almost 16 Million.
He didn’t agree to $8.75 million.

His deal is 3 years, $42 million — $14 million per year. Plus incentives.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

VV meant the verbally agreed on contract with the Ravens compared to what he signed with us. It was 4yr/30m.

Seems like that Ravens one he walked away from would have been a lot more if they regarded him the same we do. Or along that line of thinking I believe.

Personally, just speculating, I think it's possible he verbally agreed with the familiarity he has with the area and organization tugging. Then realized he was worth more. 100% speculation.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

makila wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:55 pm VV meant the verbally agreed on contract with the Ravens compared to what he signed with us. It was 4yr/30m.

Seems like that Ravens one he walked away from would have been a lot more if they regarded him the same we do. Or along that line of thinking I believe.

Personally, just speculating, I think it's possible he verbally agreed with the familiarity he has with the area and organization tugging. Then realized he was worth more. 100% speculation.
Ah. I see. My mistake.

FWIW, I think your speculation has merit. It makes total sense.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.