Thielen restructures

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Thielen restructures

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Adam Thielen will remain a Viking.

Per multiple sources, this from Pro Football Talk at NBC.
Despite some talk that he could be on the way out, Vikings receiver Adam Thielen is remaining in Minnesota.

Thielen announced today through his representatives that he has restructured his contract with the Vikings.

“I guess you can’t get rid of me yet. I’m super excited to be back in purple, to ultimately try to bring a championship to this city that so much deserves it,” Thielen said in a video posted on Twitter. “I can’t wait to get back to work and really build on something special.”

Thielen had been slated to have a $16.8 million cap hit this season, and the restructure will likely bring that number down significantly.
Since he's basically my favorite player, I'm glad they're going to keep him.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Thielen restructures

Post by VikingsVictorious »

How many good years do we think he has left?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:03 am How many good years do we think he has left?
I think it depends on his health.

For what it's worth, I don't see Thielen so much as "in decline" as "injured." While he's not slow, his game doesn't rely on speed, so he can still be effective, especially in the red zone. When he's healthy, he's still really good. I mean, Jerry Rice was still putting up 1,000-yard seasons up to age 40, and he was the same type of player as Adam (admittedly on a HOF level).

The problem is that Adam has been hurt quite a bit the past couple of years. I don't know if that's directly related to his age, but older players take longer to recover. So it seems tough to tell how this will play out.

I just know that he's a great route runner, still gets separation, has great hands, and is a very positive influence on the younger receivers in the room. I'm glad he's back.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Adam is a good player. Basically a rags to riches story. The guy worked hard for what he has achieved. It appears he likes his team mate Kirk but that could be BS media talk. At least that's what the haters will say.
Prior to Wednesday's practice, Thielen told KFAN's Paul Allen that Cousins “doesn't care what people say”. He praised the consistency and grit that his QB has shown under scrutiny. “He's going to be the same guy, and he's going to have passion and energy and is a great teammate.”Aug 11, 2021
BenGoessling
Sounds like Adam Thielen's new deal includes a 2025 void year that will help reduce his cap number this season. Thielen got a signing bonus in the new deal and a bump in his 2022 base salary.
Looks like our GM and CAP guy like the signing bonus stuff and of course the void year. If he stays healthy he can help. Hopefully they look for a speed guy next. We need a guy who can stretch it out.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I am glad Adam is with us. I wonder how we are going to get the money/cap space to finish trades. We we havent touched the secondary yet. That was the major problem last year and still will be this year unless we are really lucky with drafting good CBs. I dont even know if they resigned Peterson yet. And did we most just kick the can further down the street till next year? I wonder if the Wilfs are telling LOC and KAM what to do now, like they did with Cousins. Wish we could petition for new owns sometimes. :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:44 am I am glad Adam is with us. I wonder how we are going to get the money/cap space to finish trades. We we havent touched the secondary yet. That was the major problem last year and still will be this year unless we are really lucky with drafting good CBs. I dont even know if they resigned Peterson yet. And did we most just kick the can further down the street till next year? I wonder if the Wilfs are telling LOC and KAM what to do now, like they did with Cousins. Wish we could petition for new owns sometimes. :govikes:
So many people are speculating that the Wilfs are telling Kwesi what to do. I don't buy it for a second. What is happening for better or worse is on Kwesi.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:16 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:44 am I am glad Adam is with us. I wonder how we are going to get the money/cap space to finish trades. We we havent touched the secondary yet. That was the major problem last year and still will be this year unless we are really lucky with drafting good CBs. I dont even know if they resigned Peterson yet. And did we most just kick the can further down the street till next year? I wonder if the Wilfs are telling LOC and KAM what to do now, like they did with Cousins. Wish we could petition for new owns sometimes. :govikes:
So many people are speculating that the Wilfs are telling Kwesi what to do. I don't buy it for a second. What is happening for better or worse is on Kwesi.
None of us know. But I highly doubt the Wilf family went to the combine or were visiting campuses to interview perspective prospect. They are running a multi billion dollar business. They don't have time for the details. They hire people to take care of that stuff. Just like the next real estate deal they make. There not out there surveying the property. They pay people to handle the details for them. Looking at future deals and creating a vision is what they are doing. That's only my opinion. They could be loading the air hammer right now and banging boards on studs. I doubt that.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:43 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:16 pm
None of us know. But I highly doubt the Wilf family went to the combine or were visiting campuses to interview perspective prospect. They are running a multi billion dollar business. They don't have time for the details. They hire people to take care of that stuff. Just like the next real estate deal they make. There not out there surveying the property. They pay people to handle the details for them. Looking at future deals and creating a vision is what they are doing. That's only my opinion. They could be loading the air hammer right now and banging boards on studs. I doubt that.
We're all just speculating, so here's mine.

The Wilfs want to win without taking a step backwards. They hired a GM and coach that would support those desires. It's could be part of the reason Ryan Poles declined a second interview and Jim Harbaugh ended up on a plane back to Ann Arbor. And taking it a step further, I'm guessing Kwesi told them he could do it, and he hired a coach who agreed.

Again, that's nothing but reckless speculation. But it seems to make sense.

We all have to consider the possibility that Kwesi and Kevin were not hired to rebuild. Or reset. Or whatever we want to call it. They may have been hired to attempt to win now. That doesn't mean the Wilfs are the puppet masters and KAM and KOC are the puppets. But I suspect they've been given their marching orders. The Wilfs own the team. That means they get to set the vision for this team, if they choose.

In any case, it doesn't matter what we think the correct course of action is. They're going to do what they were hired to do.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Do we have the AAV on Thielen going forward.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:08 pm Do we have the AAV on Thielen going forward.
I don't know that it actually changes. I think they just moved bonus money around.

This is from ESPN:
Under the reworked deal, which gives him $18 million guaranteed and in total is similar to before, Thielen will receive $14 million-plus in 2022, including a $9 million signing bonus, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. For 2023, the deal includes a $5 million guarantee for injury. A void year for 2025 also has been added to his current deal, which runs through 2024.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:03 am How many good years do we think he has left?
I think he's been on the downhill slide since Diggs left. His best years are behind him. He'll still make that spectacular play every once in a while but I think the team can't rely on him like before.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:04 pm
I think he's been on the downhill slide since Diggs left. His best years are behind him. He'll still make that spectacular play every once in a while but I think the team can't rely on him like before.
He's not old. I'm hopeful we can get 2 or 3 more years of pro bowl play.