Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by S197 »

This would be an all or nothing move. Either a huge #### or Vikings are perennial contenders. No more every other year wildcard nonsense. It’s definitely a huge risk but if he brings Fangio and Pep as the rumors suggest, damn that’s a hell of a staff at least on paper.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm I hope Vikings do not hire Harbaugh, he is a jerk and 2nd stints usually do not work out well like Gruden
If I'm not mistaken, 7 of the last 10 Super Bowls have been won by head coaches in their second NFL HC position.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

If Harbaugh becomes our coach. It will be interesting to see what they do with Cousins. “keep or Trade”
I’m not a big Harbaugh fan but he is a proven winner. With him coaching we could be back in the playoff mix next year.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Ryans and O’Connell getting second in person interviews, with O’Connell being interviewed tomorrow.

https://www.nfl.com/news/vikings-gauge ... cond-inter
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:11 am
VikingsFan84 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm I hope Vikings do not hire Harbaugh, he is a jerk and 2nd stints usually do not work out well like Gruden
If I'm not mistaken, 7 of the last 10 Super Bowls have been won by head coaches in their second NFL HC position.
As Bones McCoy used to say on Star Trek, “Dammit, Jim!”

Stop confusing the issue with facts!

For the record, that is not an endorsement for Harbaugh … it’s just funny how people throw information out there as fact without actually looking it up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

I saw on Twitter that Harbaugh is going to Dolphins but I will believe it when I see it
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Per NFL Rumors:
Breaking: The Minnesota Vikings could name Jim Harbaugh their HC as early as tomorrow per league source.
I have to admit, I’m confused. Is Harbaugh really Mr. Collaboration?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:45 am If Harbaugh becomes our coach. It will be interesting to see what they do with Cousins. “keep or Trade”
I’m not a big Harbaugh fan but he is a proven winner. With him coaching we could be back in the playoff mix next year.
Maybe he trades him and brings Kaepernick in. I saw in a review of Mond that his best pro comparison was Kaepernick. Maybe he'll go with Mond and dump Cousins on whoever will take him.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 pm Per NFL Rumors:
Breaking: The Minnesota Vikings could name Jim Harbaugh their HC as early as tomorrow per league source.
I have to admit, I’m confused. Is Harbaugh really Mr. Collaboration?
I did not see this coming either, Kapp, but it's looking like it is what's likely to happen. I don't know what to think about it. I suspect that everyone involves that Harbaugh's collaboration with KAM will be possible and a strength. Seems like he's been waiting for the right situation to come back to the NFL. I'm surprised to find myself excited. He's a very high caliber coach and if Rodgers leaves the North, I think we will be in the running much more quickly than I'd anticipated.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, so let’s assume the Harbaugh rumor is true, even though there a number of sources claiming he’s going to Miami. I’m going to try and make some sense out of it, even though I’m not convinced it’s the right move for the Vikings.

Here are some positives.

1. He took over a 6-10 team in SF that had not been to the playoffs in a dozen years, leading them to 13-3 in his first season and 3 straight NFC Championship games.

2. Harbaugh has a stellar 44-19-1 record as a head coach. He has a better winning percentage than every active head coach except Matt LaFleur.

3. Harbaugh’s DC for all four years in SF, as well as during his time at Stanford, was Vic Fangio — still a great DC even though his HCing gig didn’t go well. Fangio reuniting with Harbaugh in Minnesota could shore up the Vikings defense in a hurry.

4. Harbaugh has worked with Pep Hamilton, who was the offensive coordinator with the Colts when Andrew Luck was there. I could see Hamilton filling a similar role with Harbaugh and the Vikings.

5. As a former NFL quarterback, Harbaugh might be able to get the most out of Kirk Cousins, should the Vikings decide to keep him.

6. Harbaugh is both religious and an equal-justice advocate, which would mesh with several key players on the Vikings (might be stretching here, but be gentle … I’m really trying).

7. Despite his reputation for being prickly and demanding, Harbaugh gets high praise from many former players. This includes Alex Boone, who says Harbaugh was a cut up on the practice field and a blast to be around.

EDIT: 8. His buyout at Michigan is only $2 million.

That’s the best I can do, guys. Really trying to be fair here. You all can likely figure out the negatives.

I seriously don’t know where I stand on this.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:01 pm I saw on Twitter that Harbaugh is going to Dolphins but I will believe it when I see it
Ross the owner of the Dolphins is Michigan alumni.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:40 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:01 pm I saw on Twitter that Harbaugh is going to Dolphins but I will believe it when I see it
Ross the owner of the Dolphins is Michigan alumni.
Ross has also said, “I’m not going to be the guy who takes Jim Harbaugh from Michigan.”

Of course, that was 2 weeks ago. Things can change.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

I am not sure I am buying this yet. It seems like a tweet anyone could make. A “league source”? Okay. I would believe it more if it were Rappaport or Pellisaro or someone like that.

And the part about “as early as tomorrow.” Seems unlikely as per Rooney rule the Vikings need to have at least one in-person minority interview. They haven’t had ANY in-person interviews. They have one scheduled tomorrow with O’Connell and another one with Ryans but I didn’t read which day that is.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

40for60 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:31 pm

I am not sure I am buying this yet. It seems like a tweet anyone could make. A “league source”? Okay. I would believe it more if it were Rappaport or Pellisaro or someone like that.

And the part about “as early as tomorrow.” Seems unlikely as per Rooney rule the Vikings need to have at least one in-person minority interview. They haven’t had ANY in-person interviews. They have one scheduled tomorrow with O’Connell and another one with Ryans but I didn’t read which day that is.
I’m glad you brought this up. Every one of us SHOULD look at rumors such as this with skepticism, as I’ve screamed forever on this board. More context is needed. Allow me to provide some.

According to SKOR North, the source is John Bacon, an author and close friend of the Harbaugh family. He initially reported to “not rule out the Vikings,” then subsequently said that Harbaugh is very interested in the Vikings job. All this originally came through Pro Football Talk, a property of NBC hosted by Mike Florio and Chris Simms. In other words, it’s not some dude blogging from a dank basement. It’s a credible, reputable organization.

Current reports are that the two sides have already spoken. ESPN reports that KAM and Harbaugh have spoken via Zoom, and that the Vikings have requested an interview. Not surprisingly, Vikings.com has absolutely nothing.

That’s the news for now. If it’s real in any way, we’ll hear lots more very soon.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:50 pm
40for60 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:31 pm

I’m glad you brought this up. Every one of us SHOULD look at rumors such as this with skepticism, as I’ve screamed forever on this board. More context is needed. Allow me to provide some.

According to SKOR North, the source is John Bacon, an author and close friend of the Harbaugh family. He initially reported to “not rule out the Vikings,” then subsequently said that Harbaugh is very interested in the Vikings job. All this originally came through Pro Football Talk, a property of NBC hosted by Mike Florio and Chris Simms. In other words, it’s not some dude blogging from a dank basement. It’s a credible, reputable organization.

Current reports are that the two sides have already spoken. ESPN reports that KAM and Harbaugh have spoken via Zoom, and that the Vikings have requested an interview. Not surprisingly, Vikings.com has absolutely nothing.

That’s the news for now. If it’s real in any way, we’ll hear lots more very soon.
My read is that they will interview O'Connell in person Monday, Ryans on Tuesday and Harbaugh on Wednesday. I'd expect a hiring announcement late this week.