Chandler Jones

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Chandler Jones

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 pm https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patr ... e-request/

Patrick wants Vikings to trade for Jones, I do not see that happening unless Chandler is willing to be a back up, thoughts?
Backup.... Are we delusional. You realize he's a talent the level of Hunter?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:19 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 pm https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patr ... e-request/

Patrick wants Vikings to trade for Jones, I do not see that happening unless Chandler is willing to be a back up, thoughts?
How am I delusional? Vikings have Hunter and Wonnum as the starters
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:09 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:51 am

If the right deal is there, Jones would make a solid addition. Someone would have to go to make room for him on the roster. Not sure who that would be.
That is easy. Weatherly adds nothing and costs way too.
Two things about Weatherly are in his favor if the Vikes signed Jones
- He's a vet who is familiar with the system
- You can never have too much DL depth

With that said, Weatherly would be on the bubble. Jones outclasses him and barring something unexpected I don't see how he gets on the field enough to justify the contract he signed.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:47 pm

If the Vikings added someone the caliber of Jones, Wonnum would really have to improve over what we saw last year to win the starting DE job opposite Hunter.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Weatherly is most likely the starter, but if we had Jones he wouldn't be coming over as a backup. It seems you know almost nothing about Chandler Jones.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I don’t believe there is a chance in a million this happens as I don’t think the Cards will trade him and even if they did , not even Rob B could make this happen unless it was for a player of roughly equal cap hit. I just don’t see this having any chance

That said, if it DID happen? Wow! It would be best DLine in NFL and best Vikings DLine since at least Williams Wall/ Allen , and maybe even since the 80s with Doleman, Millard, Thomas
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:48 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:09 am

That is easy. Weatherly adds nothing and costs way too.
Two things about Weatherly are in his favor if the Vikes signed Jones
- He's a vet who is familiar with the system
- You can never have too much DL depth

With that said, Weatherly would be on the bubble. Jones outclasses him and barring something unexpected I don't see how he gets on the field enough to justify the contract he signed.
The Vikings would save 2 million cutting a guy who has sucked at getting after the passer every year he has played, something they would need to help cover the 15.5 million Jones is due to make this year.

Jones is really, really good and if the Vikings were serious about making a SB run this year it makes sense to make a trade for him. This wouldn't be a trade for an average DE in a year we had no shot at competing like we did last year for Ngakoue, it would be a trade for a guy who would make this top 10 defense into one of the best in the NFL. We would have the most feared pass rush in the NFL, to go along with one of the best run defenses.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:49 pm

If the Vikings added someone the caliber of Jones, Wonnum would really have to improve over what we saw last year to win the starting DE job opposite Hunter.
He would have to better the following on a team that was constantly losing and had fewer opportunities to rush the passer.
2015 - 12.5 sacks
2016 -11 sacks
2017-17 sacks
2018 - 13 sacks
2019 - 19 sacks
--------------------------
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 am Jones is really, really good and if the Vikings were serious about making a SB run this year it makes sense to make a trade for him. This wouldn't be a trade for an average DE in a year we had no shot at competing like we did last year for Ngakoue, it would be a trade for a guy who would make this top 10 defense into one of the best in the NFL. We would have the most feared pass rush in the NFL, to go along with one of the best run defenses.
It would be a move that signals they're all-in this year for sure. Not sure how they pay Jones but it would be an impact signing.

As for Weatherly, I agree he'd be gone in that case.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:45 pm Depends on how you guys are defining "freakish" but he's top tier in size and arm length. In terms of speed, he's upper quartile-ish.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/stephen-weatherly

Wonnum looks to not have the size but more burst and speed.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dj-wonnum

Hopefully numbers isn't everything, because Patrick Jones looks ugly:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/patrick-jones

Doesn't help that his numbers compare to Scott Crichton.
Thanks for the research S197.
When you combine size and speed Weatherly is freakish. I think these were numbers compared to the other draftees, at his position, in his class. 98th percentile for weight and 76th percentile for speed. How many people larger than him were faster than him? The answer was probably 0.
Stump called Wonnum at 13th percentile weight, 86th percentile speed almost identical to Weatherly. I'm guessing the discrepancy came from Weatherly lumped in with the LBs while Wonnum was lumped in with just DE or DL.
Jones is actually good when it comes to weight/speed in the 10 yard split. He was below average in everything else.
No problem, it's a site I stumbled on a few years back and like how they present the data. I'm not sure if they update the database every year or it's just compared to his draft class. My guess is it's a comparison to his peers in that year's draft.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:45 pm Depends on how you guys are defining "freakish" but he's top tier in size and arm length. In terms of speed, he's upper quartile-ish.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/stephen-weatherly

Wonnum looks to not have the size but more burst and speed.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dj-wonnum

Hopefully numbers isn't everything, because Patrick Jones looks ugly:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/patrick-jones

Doesn't help that his numbers compare to Scott Crichton.
Thanks for the research S197.
When you combine size and speed Weatherly is freakish. I think these were numbers compared to the other draftees, at his position, in his class. 98th percentile for weight and 76th percentile for speed. How many people larger than him were faster than him? The answer was probably 0.
Stump called Wonnum at 13th percentile weight, 86th percentile speed almost identical to Weatherly. I'm guessing the discrepancy came from Weatherly lumped in with the LBs while Wonnum was lumped in with just DE or DL.
Jones is actually good when it comes to weight/speed in the 10 yard split. He was below average in everything else.
No problem, it's a site I stumbled on a few years back and like how they present the data. I'm not sure if they update the database every year or it's just compared to his draft class. My guess is it's a comparison to his peers in that year's draft.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm Thanks for the research S197.
I appreciate that it validated my memory of Weatherly being a freakish size speed combination. When you're in the top 2% for size in your group and still in the top 24% for speed that is a very rare combination.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 pm
S197 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 pm

I appreciate that it validated my memory of Weatherly being a freakish size speed combination. When you're in the top 2% for size in your group and still in the top 24% for speed that is a very rare combination.
Top 2% for an OLB, a position he didn't play in the NFL.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Weatherly is most likely the starter, but if we had Jones he wouldn't be coming over as a backup. It seems you know almost nothing about Chandler Jones.
I'm kind of surprised at some of the comments in here. Jones is right up there with JJ Watt for best pass rusher in this era and people are wondering/assuming he might be a back up to Weatherly or Wonnum? This guy is a double digit guy every year and has come close breaking the sack record. For reference he's played one less season than Watt and only trails him by 4 sacks. If we could land Jones I'd be beyond thrilled, we would have the best combo edge rushers in the league by far.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 pm
Top 2% for an OLB, a position he didn't play in the NFL.
Yes I already mentioned that. However, his combine for OLB was freakish. I'm guessing his speed rating would have gone up if grouped with DEs.