Kevin Williams is in Ring of Honor

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Kevin Williams is in Ring of Honor

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Congratulations Kevin! Well deserved! I wish Pat makes it in too together!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Kevin Williams is in Ring of Honor

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Kevin Williams was a quite good player. It's surprising to me he made the Ring of Honor. Standards are not as high for that as I would have thought.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:11 am Kevin Williams was a quite good player. It's surprising to me he made the Ring of Honor. Standards are not as high for that as I would have thought.
I am not surprised, he is the 3rd best defensive tackle after Page and Randle in my book
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:19 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:11 am Kevin Williams was a quite good player. It's surprising to me he made the Ring of Honor. Standards are not as high for that as I would have thought.
I am not surprised, he is the 3rd best defensive tackle after Page and Randle in my book
Page and Randle are the types I expect in the Ring of Honor.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I congratulate him and think he was a heck of a player but I also kind of share your sentiment. Admittedly I didn't get to watch him much because I live in Missouri and was still a Rams fan at that point.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Y’all have to be kidding me.

Pro Bowler 6 times.
First-team All Pro 5 times.
NFL All-Decade player for the 2000s.
63 sacks from the DT position, including 2 years of double-digit sacks.
Two pick-sixes in the same season — again, from the DT position.

I was in the house the day he strip-sacked Byron Leftwich, picked up the fumble, and ran 90 yards for a TD. One of the best defensive plays I’ve ever seen.

Low standards for the Ring of Honor? Get real. This man should have a bronze bust in Canton.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

AGREED KAPP!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Can’t believe the negativity I’m reading about KWill!!!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:09 am AGREED KAPP!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

It is sad really
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 am Y’all have to be kidding me.

Pro Bowler 6 times.

I was in the house the day he strip-sacked Byron Leftwich, picked up the fumble, and ran 90 yards for a TD. One of the best defensive plays I’ve ever seen.

Low standards for the Ring of Honor? Get real. This man should have a bronze bust in Canton.
Thanks for making a case for him. That's better than my initial recollection. I am now OK with Ring of Honor.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I saw zero negativity posted about KW. Every post said very good or heck of a good football player. He just wasn't a name that popped for me as deserving of Ring of Honor. I look at that as say 10 best Vikings of all time.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 am Y’all have to be kidding me.

Pro Bowler 6 times.

Thanks for making a case for him. That's better than my initial recollection. I am now OK with Ring of Honor.
This is why I said Kevin is 3rd best defensive tackle after Page and Randle, you could make a case for Keith Milliard but his career has been cut short due to a knee injury
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 am
This is why I said Kevin is 3rd best defensive tackle after Page and Randle, you could make a case for Keith Milliard but his career has been cut short due to a knee injury
It was the 5 First team All Pros and all decade team that convinced me. What do you think Ring of Honor Standards should be? Is Kevin Williams at the bottom of those standards or do we let less talented players in as well?
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:29 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am

It was the 5 First team All Pros and all decade team that convinced me. What do you think Ring of Honor Standards should be? Is Kevin Williams at the bottom of those standards or do we let less talented players in as well?
Kevin Williams far surpasses the bar of a Ring of Honor for the Minnesota Vikings as I think even Pat should be eligible for it. Hell, I think Daunte Culpepper should get in eventually.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:43 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:29 am
Kevin Williams far surpasses the bar of a Ring of Honor for the Minnesota Vikings as I think even Pat should be eligible for it. Hell, I think Daunte Culpepper should get in eventually.
So being a good player is all it takes for Ring of Honor. I think standards should be higher.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am

I saw zero negativity posted about KW. Every post said very good or heck of a good football player. He just wasn't a name that popped for me as deserving of Ring of Honor. I look at that as say 10 best Vikings of all time.
I guess it’s just semantics- true, saying he’s pretty good is not overtly negative ….

I realize no one has said he sucks or anything, but to me saying a potential future HOFer is not deserving of ring of honor is a slight against him (and a negative take; IMHO)

No worries though - personally I’m glad he’s in and like Kapp said , hoping he will be enshrined in Canton one day