Deja vu all over again? Hunter not at OTA's.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Deja vu all over again? Hunter not at OTA's.

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

S197
Fenrir

Re: Deja vu all over again? Hunter not at OTA's.

Post by S197 »

My guess is after June 1st, they sign him to an extension but he's going to hold out until he gets it.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

S197 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:33 pm My guess is after June 1st, they sign him to an extension but he's going to hold out until he gets it.
Hope you're right, the guy is a stud DE for sure.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I wonder if Spielman seriously tried to trade Hunter before the draft given his fairly public airing of his displeasure with his contract situation and the fact that he'd sat out the previous season with a potentially career-ending injury and who knows how he'll play once he does get back on the field.

If Spielman did shop him around, then I'd have to assume he didn't get any offers he liked more than the grief he'd have to deal with to make Hunter happy (assuming the only point of contention is his contract which may not be accurate).

If Spielman didn't shop him, then either he feels Hunter is going to relent and play under his current contract at some point or he intends to offer him a revised deal once the salary cap implications of the offseason become clear. Making another assumption that the only way to get a happy, productive Hunter back on the field is to satiate his bank account further, I'd have to assume Spielman in principle agrees that Hunter has earned bigger paychecks than the contract he just signed not too long ago provides.

This is a messed up deal, though, and not even from the Hunter-Spielman dynamic, but moreso from the overall team chemistry perspective. Hunter pulling these shenanigans based on contracts signed by others at his position with other teams doesn't exactly scream team-player. While Dalvin Cook did something similar, he was locked in under a rookie contract largely dictated by the CBA. Hunter's deal was a second contract and under no restrictions at all, and IIRC, at the time it was signed it made him among the highest paid players at his position, so it's not like he got a raw deal or something.

Given everything we know about Hunter's current situation I wish Spielman would just trade him. We're assuming that he is completely healthy and can return as productive as he was before, but what if he isn't and/or doesn't regardless of if the Vikings increase his contract? There are a lot of unknowns with him and his attitude isn't encouraging. I can't believe Spielman would actually indulge him in a new contract given the situation. He does that and he's inviting a lot more of the same from other players, which turns the team into the late '80's Vikings - star talent but all "me-first" players who regularly underachieve.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:57 pm
S197 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:33 pm My guess is after June 1st, they sign him to an extension but he's going to hold out until he gets it.
No doubt. The injury concerns me a lot though. I'm fairly certain it's the same one that ended Peyton Manning's career and a DE is going to take way more abuse.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

S197 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:36 pm

No doubt. The injury concerns me a lot though. I'm fairly certain it's the same one that ended Peyton Manning's career and a DE is going to take way more abuse.
Yep, that sort of injury for a QB is bad enough but a guy who has to fend off 300lb OT's for a living...yikes. Could be why he's not wanting to put in any time until he see's a new contract and brand new injury settlement language :whistle:
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I predict he will be either cut or traded and Everson will be back next year.

They can use the extra money to extend O’Neill and to make sure The Hitman retires a Viking

I love Hunter but with the injury concerns and the discontent- move on
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:05 pm I wonder if Spielman seriously tried to trade Hunter before the draft given his fairly public airing of his displeasure with his contract situation and the fact that he'd sat out the previous season with a potentially career-ending injury and who knows how he'll play once he does get back on the field.

If Spielman did shop him around, then I'd have to assume he didn't get any offers he liked more than the grief he'd have to deal with to make Hunter happy (assuming the only point of contention is his contract which may not be accurate).

If Spielman didn't shop him, then either he feels Hunter is going to relent and play under his current contract at some point or he intends to offer him a revised deal once the salary cap implications of the offseason become clear. Making another assumption that the only way to get a happy, productive Hunter back on the field is to satiate his bank account further, I'd have to assume Spielman in principle agrees that Hunter has earned bigger paychecks than the contract he just signed not too long ago provides.

This is a messed up deal, though, and not even from the Hunter-Spielman dynamic, but moreso from the overall team chemistry perspective. Hunter pulling these shenanigans based on contracts signed by others at his position with other teams doesn't exactly scream team-player. While Dalvin Cook did something similar, he was locked in under a rookie contract largely dictated by the CBA. Hunter's deal was a second contract and under no restrictions at all, and IIRC, at the time it was signed it made him among the highest paid players at his position, so it's not like he got a raw deal or something.

Given everything we know about Hunter's current situation I wish Spielman would just trade him. We're assuming that he is completely healthy and can return as productive as he was before, but what if he isn't and/or doesn't regardless of if the Vikings increase his contract? There are a lot of unknowns with him and his attitude isn't encouraging. I can't believe Spielman would actually indulge him in a new contract given the situation. He does that and he's inviting a lot more of the same from other players, which turns the team into the late '80's Vikings - star talent but all "me-first" players who regularly underachieve.
We can always count on you for a lot of thoughtful insight — and difficult questions! Good stuff.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the difference between Hunter and Cook. This was Cook's second contract, and he had already established himself as a top-5 running back. Meanwhile, when Hunter signed his 5-year, $72 million contract with $40 million guaranteed, he'd just come off a 7-sack season that was considered a disappointment to many. The contract he signed was extremely generous considering that fact. And it wasn't like he had to wait for his money. He got a nice fat $15 million bonus check the moment he signed. The Vikings weren't giving him that kind of deal out of the goodness of their hearts. They knew he'd had a down year, but they still bet on him to break out.

Now that he's broken out, he's conveniently forgotten that the Vikings made him a heck of a deal before he actually deserved it. They believed in him, and now he's acting like they screwed him over.

This is tough. Danielle Hunter at his best is an absolute force. Not only is he going to get you 12+ sacks, but he's also going to get as many pressures as any edge rusher in the league. Plus he's a stud against the run.

But do the Vikings want to deal with the headache? At a time when guys like Cook and Cousins and Thielen and JJ and Kendricks and Harry and Barr and Peterson are saying, "Screw the NFLPA" and showing up to OTAs, Hunter is selfishly sitting out. Then there's the neck injury. How do we know he's even physically sound? How do we know he won't end up paralyzed on the field? If he's not working out at the facility, how does the team know he's in the kind of condition he needs to be in? He wants to make $27 million a year, and he didn't even participate in training camp last year, let alone play. He wants the Vikings to bet on him a second time.

As a fan, I want him on the team. But the whole situation pisses me off.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I had a two level neck fusion with donor bone and titanium brace and screws and did a lot of research on neck injuries and treatment while going through it in 2001. There are a bunch of potential treatments depending on severity. There are less invasive procedures than a fusion like I had. Manning by the way had a one level fusion. The extent of the injury and type of procedure done would answer some of these questions about his career going forward but they’re not saying anything. A neck problem isn’t necessarily going to end a career but it would be easier to speculate if we knew. For example, there are less invasive treatments where they use micro surgery on the damaged disc. The silence on the injury and surgery only opens things up to more speculation.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

VikingLord wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:05 pm I wonder if Spielman seriously tried to trade Hunter before the draft given his fairly public airing of his displeasure with his contract situation and the fact that he'd sat out the previous season with a potentially career-ending injury and who knows how he'll play once he does get back on the field.

Great perspective VL
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:06 pm I predict he will be either cut or traded and Everson will be back next year.

They can use the extra money to extend O’Neill and to make sure The Hitman retires a Viking

I do not want Everson back next year, let the young players play
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:06 pm I predict he will be either cut or traded and Everson will be back next year.

Something to be said for veteran experience and savvy though, especially when said veteran knows the scheme.

Having a happy and content Hunter back is ideal, but if that isn't going to happen I would be happy if Griff were back.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:31 am As a fan, I want him on the team. But the whole situation pisses me off.
Me too.

We all know that by adding a healthy, effective (and rested) Hunter to this revamped DL, the defensive line goes from bottom 5 in 2020 to top 10 and maybe top 5 in the league in 2021. He can make that much of a difference, and I think everyone knows it. Spielman traded his 2nd rounder for a 5 game rental at DE last year after Hunter couldn't play, and the end result was the Vikings as a team generated 23 sacks total (with 5 of those comping from said rental). Hunter alone generated 14.5 sacks in each of the 2018 and 2019 seasons. He's not incorrect in assuming there is some desperation there that gives him more leverage than he'd probably otherwise have. Sometimes we question the impact of an individual player within a team, but in Hunter's case you can see pretty clearly what that impact was. Top that cake off with the cherry of the health risk factor and I can see where Hunter might feel justified in wanting a rework in his deal.

I just don't like the way he's going about it publicly, and I also don't think his position is as strong as it otherwise would be absent the relatively serious nature of his injury and the potential it has to impact his ability to be as effective going forward. Hunter needs to not only show a clean bill of health, but get out there and show he's still as effective as he was pre-injury. Sitting out and tweeting and making a spectacle of his situation is just unprofessional and makes literally no one not named "Danielle Hunter" feel any empathy for him.

I still think Spielman should trade him. He's worth a top 15 pick if he's healthy and probably more. It's just going to be hard to find a trade partner who's willing to take that risk sight unseen at this point.
Last edited by VikingLord on Fri May 28, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:49 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Something to be said for veteran experience and savvy though, especially when said veteran knows the scheme.

Having a happy and content Hunter back is ideal, but if that isn't going to happen I would be happy if Griff were back.
I will be surprised if Everson comes back, I did not realize that Everson is on the Lions now
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StanM wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 pm

I had a two level neck fusion with donor bone and titanium brace and screws and did a lot of research on neck injuries and treatment while going through it in 2001. There are a bunch of potential treatments depending on severity. There are less invasive procedures than a fusion like I had. Manning by the way had a one level fusion. The extent of the injury and type of procedure done would answer some of these questions about his career going forward but they’re not saying anything. A neck problem isn’t necessarily going to end a career but it would be easier to speculate if we knew. For example, there are less invasive treatments where they use micro surgery on the damaged disc. The silence on the injury and surgery only opens things up to more speculation.
Thanks for the info, I hope your procedures have helped you get back and comfortable.