NFL Draft Day

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: NFL Draft Day

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:14 pm If Moehrig lasts another 10-15 picks, I can see the Vikings trying to trade up to replace Harris. There's a ton of good players still out there but I have a feeling we see them go quickly in the 2nd. The 1st round was odd in that it was heavy on positions we weren't going to take. QB, WR, and CB made up what, 10 of those picks? It's more likely the positions we're coveting start getting taken on day 2.
Will be interesting to see if Spielman and Zimmer either see a guy like Moehrig as special enough to justify a move up or the need at safety to be great enough to justify a move up.

As it stands, I'm not convinced of either. I like Moehrig and think he will be a solid pro, but I don't see him as a special player. For that matter, I think the safety class this year is extremely flat. Like, flat enough where the different between the top rated safety and, say, the 7th rated safety is negligible. I could see guys like Andre Cisco, Richie Grant or Damar Hamlin having as good or better pro careers.

While the Vikings have an arguable need at safety, I think they also have some flexibility to address that need and I think they can get a good prospect as late as Round 4 this year. If they don't address safety at all I'll be worried, but I won't be worried if they don't gamble to address that position.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

No pick in the 2nd round? Wow now that's a great job Speilman is doing there. Next year I bet we pick in the top 5 till dumbass trades down to get more mediocre players to cut. This gm has got to go.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:37 pm
S197 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:14 pm If Moehrig lasts another 10-15 picks, I can see the Vikings trying to trade up to replace Harris. There's a ton of good players still out there but I have a feeling we see them go quickly in the 2nd. The 1st round was odd in that it was heavy on positions we weren't going to take. QB, WR, and CB made up what, 10 of those picks? It's more likely the positions we're coveting start getting taken on day 2.
I can see that happening, who is the starting safety for now?
Xavier Woods. I think he’s only on a 1 year deal though.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:24 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:37 pm

I can see that happening, who is the starting safety for now?
Xavier Woods. I think he’s only on a 1 year deal though.
Thank you, yeah, I can see Vikings drafting a safety to replace Harris
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Laserman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:55 pm No pick in the 2nd round? Wow now that's a great job Speilman is doing there. Next year I bet we pick in the top 5 till dumbass trades down to get more mediocre players to cut. This gm has got to go.
Yeah, Speilman traded a 2nd rounder for Yannick only to trade him a few weeks later is a stupid move but he traded down and got 2 3rd's so he can trade up in the 2nd round if he needs to
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 pm
Pep2Moss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:09 pm

For one of the QB's
Kyle Trask or Kellen Mond? I saw a mock draft that Vikings picked Kellen Mond in the 3rd round at #86
Trask seems to be a lot like Cousins, and if the rumors were true about wanting Fields they may want a dual threat guy like Mond. Davis is another possibility.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Laserman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:55 pm No pick in the 2nd round? Wow now that's a great job Speilman is doing there. Next year I bet we pick in the top 5 till dumbass trades down to get more mediocre players to cut. This gm has got to go.
The only dumbass thing here is your comment.
4 picks in the 3rd and 3 picks in the 4th make up for not having a 2nd rounder.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

So in the most simplest way. Please let me know how you think we did. I didn't watch much college ball this year. So aside from the projected top 10 im not familiar with the players this year. Ibe been seeing mixed reactions all over social media but I want to know what you guys think.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

When you get every guy you want, even by trading down. There's something wrong there.

Darrisaw: I don't care what PFF grades him as. I didn't see anything special about his game tapes on youtube. Too often I see him taking bad pass set protection. Good knee bend, bad technique. Edge rushers like Za'darius Smith and Khalil Mack will put this kid on roller skates back towards Cousins.

Kellen Mond: Seems like another Tavaris Jackson project. Again I didn't see anything special from his game tape.

Wyatt Davis: Even if he can come back from his injury. His Ohio State tapes are basically the same as Pat Efline's.

I think the Vikings Scout team uses google for their research. Their draft depth charts seems the same as any of these guys you can google for yourselves.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

StpViking wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 am When you get every guy you want, even by trading down. There's something wrong there.

Darrisaw: I don't care what PFF grades him as. I didn't see anything special about his game tapes on youtube. Too often I see him taking bad pass set protection. Good knee bend, bad technique. Edge rushers like Za'darius Smith and Khalil Mack will put this kid on roller skates back towards Cousins.

Kellen Mond: Seems like another Tavaris Jackson project. Again I didn't see anything special from his game tape.

Wyatt Davis: Even if he can come back from his injury. His Ohio State tapes are basically the same as Pat Efline's.

I think the Vikings Scout team uses google for their research. Their draft depth charts seems the same as any of these guys you can google for yourselves.
Thread-killer.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

The only certain good point to the draft is that we finally invested in the OL a bit. However, one high lvl choice fails to address a OL that pretty completely needs to be replaced....I dont believe much in Cousins but what he can bring to the team requires a Iron Curtain Ol and we are still far from that. Mond might be an interesting long term project but the Vikes have not developed their own QB talent in many decades, so there is no reason to believe they can groom him into a Super Bowl QB.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 am When you get every guy you want, even by trading down. There's something wrong there.
Or at least, you have to say you got every guy you wanted, right? 8)
StpViking wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 am Darrisaw: I don't care what PFF grades him as. I didn't see anything special about his game tapes on youtube. Too often I see him taking bad pass set protection. Good knee bend, bad technique. Edge rushers like Za'darius Smith and Khalil Mack will put this kid on roller skates back towards Cousins.
Be interesting to see. What Darrisaw has going for him is his size, strength and ability to move his feet. But you're right that he's rarely been pushed too hard, so it will be interesting to see if he can rise to the challenge against better competition. I won't predict it one way or the other, but I will say that he has the physical tools to be a dominant LT if he puts in the effort.
StpViking wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 am Kellen Mond: Seems like another Tavaris Jackson project. Again I didn't see anything special from his game tape.
From what I've seen Mond's strengths are his compact throwing motion and arm. He's got a pretty quick release and can get the ball out fast. His weaknesses are consistency, accuracy and to some degree his decision-making. When I watch Mond behind center I don't get the sense that he is a field general directing the attack. He looks more like he's reacting to what the defense is doing, which is honestly what most QBs probably do even at the pro level. The good ones put the defense on their heels. They demonstrate an understanding of the defensive scheme, personnel packages, and coverage tendencies and effectively attack them.

I don't see much evidence of Mond doing that to defenses, at least not yet. Whether he can remains to be seen.

A lot with Mond depends on how hard he wants to work at it and whether he maximizes the time he'll have to sit and learn. I would have preferred either Trask or Mills, so it will be interesting to watch how the pro careers of the three progress.
StpViking wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 am Wyatt Davis: Even if he can come back from his injury. His Ohio State tapes are basically the same as Pat Efline's.
IIRC, Elflein wasn't bad his first year as a starter. Not sure what happened to him after that (injury?), but he definitely regressed. Assuming what happened to him wasn't due to his talent or work ethic or something those lines, Davis should be fine if he compares to Elflein coming out of college.

I honestly think Davis has the best chance to succeed and become a regular contributor on the Vikings from this draft class.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

It's nice to be you and smarter than everyone else, but Davis was the Big 10 O Lineman of the year and a unanimous All American. Darrisaw didn't give up a sack or even a QB hit. So maybe his technique isn't what it should be but he was extremely successful.
Mond just led a very not stacked Texas A&M team to an 8-1 record in the SEC. I never knew that A&M was SEC, but that's what they're saying.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

I am being divisive, and apologize for that, but I have to also be honest.

Darrisaw the prize of this draft. Go look at his game tapes, see how often he leaves the center of his chest wide open. This is the equivalent of a boxer with weak a chin, leaving it unprotected.

Anyway, how does the old saying go? A franchise QB will never be allowed to hit the open market. A truly elite pass protector would never be passed on by a dozen teams. When all is said and done, I think we are going to find out why so many teams passed on him.
Last edited by StpViking on Mon May 03, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:11 pm
IIRC, Elflein wasn't bad his first year as a starter. Not sure what happened to him after that (injury?), but he definitely regressed.
His 4 sacks given up in his rookie year was good for 2nd most among centers in the NFL in 2017, his pass blocking efficiency was tied for 28th best among centers. I think most people remember him as being good because he was good for a rookie, if not necessarily good overall.