17 game Schedule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

17 game Schedule

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

The Vikes now officially have 9 road games this year. It will be interesting to see if we can be more effective on the road than we typically are and the home games become even more important for us IMO.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 17 game Schedule

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The Chargers aren't a cupcake team on the road. Herbert looks like he's going to be a great QB.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not that it matters, but I truly hate this.

The 16-game season was hard enough on these guys. Now the NFL adds a game without adding a second bye week, which they easily could have done simply by starting the season the first Sunday in September instead of the second. They still make these guys play the idiotic Thursday games with only three days rest. The schedules are unbalanced. And they're saying that within a couple of years, every NFL team will have to play one international game every four years. And the extra pay the players will get is not commensurate with the extra revenue the NFL and its teams will generate.

At a minimum, they need to put in some protections. Like a couple of years ago when the Vikings had to travel all the way to LA for a Thursday game against the Rams, who were playing their second consecutive home game. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

It's such a money grab. How on earth did the owners get the players union to agree to all this? Well, I guess it barely passed the players union –1,019 to 959.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm Not that it matters, but I truly hate this.

The 16-game season was hard enough on these guys. Now the NFL adds a game without adding a second bye week, which they easily could have done simply by starting the season the first Sunday in September instead of the second. They still make these guys play the idiotic Thursday games with only three days rest. The schedules are unbalanced. And they're saying that within a couple of years, every NFL team will have to play one international game every four years. And the extra pay the players will get is not commensurate with the extra revenue the NFL and its teams will generate.

At a minimum, they need to put in some protections. Like a couple of years ago when the Vikings had to travel all the way to LA for a Thursday game against the Rams, who were playing their second consecutive home game. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

It's such a money grab. How on earth did the owners get the players union to agree to all this? Well, I guess it barely passed the players union –1,019 to 959.
You're 100% correct on the revenue grab take IMO. This isn't about additional entertainment for the fans and it sure as heck isn't about the players and their safety & health. what kind of a MASH unit will teams be by week 17 and for the teams that have made the playoffs, are they now sitting starters for 2-3 games before seasons end?

I think this is going to negatively effect the overall quality of the NFL product, especially the last few weeks of the season.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm Not that it matters, but I truly hate this.

The solution to expanding the season is to limit the number of games each player can participate in. Sure, take your 18 game season, but each player only gets to participate in 16 or only 14 games if you really want to protect players. You strategically rest your players for matchups, health/recovery, etc. Your depth matters more than before, which is fun. If they insist on expanding the season, this is the solution.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 pm

The solution to expanding the season is to limit the number of games each player can participate in. Sure, take your 18 game season, but each player only gets to participate in 16 or only 14 games if you really want to protect players. You strategically rest your players for matchups, health/recovery, etc. Your depth matters more than before, which is fun. If they insist on expanding the season, this is the solution.
That would be interesting.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I agree this is insane. If they are so desperate for this revenue grab, they could have at least made some accommodations -

1 increase roster from 53 to 63. You wouldn’t even have to change the cap just allow teams to spread it around more, develop more depth etc. and all should be able to dress and travel etc

2. Cancel 2 preseason games and add 2 new bye weeks for a total of 3. No team should ever have to travel from Sunday to Thursday . 3 bye weeks should give enough scheduling flexibility to eliminate this insanity

3 the idea mentioned above about limiting player appearances is intriguing - could add some interesting strategic decisions !!
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:29 pm I agree this is insane. If they are so desperate for this revenue grab, they could have at least made some accommodations -

1 increase roster from 53 to 63. You wouldn’t even have to change the cap just allow teams to spread it around more, develop more depth etc. and all should be able to dress and travel etc

2. Cancel 2 preseason games and add 2 new bye weeks for a total of 3. No team should ever have to travel from Sunday to Thursday . 3 bye weeks should give enough scheduling flexibility to eliminate this insanity

3 the idea mentioned above about limiting player appearances is intriguing - could add some interesting strategic decisions !!
This would make this whole thing more palatable.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:29 pm I agree this is insane. If they are so desperate for this revenue grab, they could have at least made some accommodations -

I forgot to mention, the limiting of player appearances also helps protect the record books, for however much that matters. Given they have already moved from 14 to 16, and given how they have just about ruined the sport with stupid rule changes to benefit the O, I suppose that ship has already sailed, but still something to consider.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I love the travel idea, and I REALLY love the idea of 3 bye weeks.

The roster idea, in some form, makes perfect sense. I have never understood why they limit the roster to 45. You've got 22 starters on offense and defense. Kicker, punter and long snapper count for 3 more. That leaves 20 guys on the bench for one of the most violent team sports on the planet — less than one man per starter. According to various studies, a typical NFL player can expect to be healthy and available for about 14.2 games out of 16 per season. But that counts kickers and backup quarterbacks and guys who have little risk of injury. On average, a player misses 3.1 games every time he's injured. Point being, guys get hurt. It makes sense to have a few more available for each game.

Also, with expanded rosters, you might not need to limit player appearances.

But hey, what do we know? We're just dumb fans. We're not the NFL.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

During a Covid year
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am not a fan of 3 bye weeks or everyone here would be complaining that there is no Vikings football to watch
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

It evens out. Lose a preseason game in favor of an actual game. It's whatever, ya know?
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

As much as I don’t care for the added game it’s a level playing field so to speak. All teams will have to plan for and adapt to the challenges of an added game. While sitting out players sounds like a good strategy I don’t see teams doing that during a final push to make the playoffs or secure home field advantage. The starting roster with the exception of injured players will be on the field in those cases.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Dropping one game from the preseason is not enough. IMO two preseason games is sufficient. Giving two weeks off before the season starts is fine, but little compensation for the wear and tear of adding that extra game at the end. Two bye weeks should have been included in adding a game. I also think Thursday night games should be eliminated, or only be scheduled after a bye week.

Football is a physically demanding game. Ensuring the players health should be important. That should mean getting them sufficient breaks during the season for reasonable rest and recovery. JMO