The Cornerback Conundrum

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The Cornerback Conundrum

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:54 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Cam Danztler - Will be our #1 starting Outside Corner. He's likely going to cover the top WR on the opposing teams, and hopefully he improves even more than the solid season he had last year.
If Dantzler isn't one of the two starting CBs next season I'll be shocked. He finished out last season very well and there is every reason to believe he'll be better this season. I'm a little concerned that Dantzler might struggle to avoid injuries given his build but if he stays healthy he has the chance to develop into one of the better CBs in the league.
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Patrick Peterson - He'll likely be our #2 Cornerback, with his experience and leadership, he'll obviously be the leader of the cornerback corps. One thing I will say is that I believe Peterson is far more of a fit on Minnesota's scheme than he was in Arizona's recent defensive scheme. Peterson is only 30 and I believe if anyone can refresh him into some of what he once was, it's Mike Zimmer. Expect Peterson to slowly return to form as the season goes on and possibly be a real asset to the team stat wise.
The contract suggests Peterson will be the other starting CB. But it is a 1 year deal so it also suggests the Vikings view Peterson as a bridge veteran who is capable of providing quality snaps but who isn't necessarily going to be the clear starter. I see this signing and contract more as a hedge in case Gladney and/or Hughes either can't get it done or, in the case of Gladney, don't develop as quickly as the Vikings hope.
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Mackensie Alexander - Starting Slot corner. It's right where he needs to be, where he is most effective, and his ability to sniff out plays and passes is undeniable. He's also a great pass-rusher and if used in conjunction with Barr and Kendricks, the three can definitely create some absolute disorientation for opposing Quarterbacks.
Not sure on this one either. The Mac contract doesn't suggest the Vikings are sold on him locking down the slot. The way Hand played last year, I think there is a good chance Hand becomes the starter at slot with Mac backing him up and/or adding an additional DB on max coverage sets.
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Jeff Gladney - This is where things get interesting. I'm going to predict that Gladney will be moving to *safety*. He has the raw abilities and the potential to be a solid safety. He'd be good in conjunction with Harry as a run-support safety and perimeter defender. Plus can back up Peterson as a good tackler and pursuer of players. If he does move to safety, expect him to potentially break out and have an excellent season. If he doesn't move to safety, expect him to turn into a quality special teams player with a penchant for making plays.
I don't know if I am ready to write Gladney off as a CB quite yet. Could he fill in at safety? Sure, he probably could, but its not a position he's ever played and if you asked me which of Peterson or Gladney would be more effective at safety and more capable of making that transition, Peterson would be the player. I think Gladney is going to get every chance to win that other starting CB job along with Hughes. Peterson is insurance, but I have no doubt the Vikings would prefer one of their two past first rounders win the starting CB job outright this offseason.
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Mike Hughes - Special teams player, Dime CB. I do not see him starting anytime soon and he's likely going to be let go of his contract once it ends. Do not expect him to return to Minnesota unless he signs an extremely cheap deal. At special teams, he likely will do well until another injury takes him out.
Hughes has had horrible luck in terms of injuries so far, but if he's healthy he's far more than a special teams player or a dime CB. If he's healthy he should be capable of competing for the other starting CB job. He might not win it, but he should be competing for it or they might as well cut him right now.
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Kris Boyd - Backup #5 CB. He'll probably be rotated in and out with Alexander in the Slot, but expect him to be on special teams and when on the defensive formation proper, expect him to hopefully progress and be a decent tackler.
Agree with this. Boyd isn't a starter and shouldn't be playing significant minutes. If he is, things aren't going well.
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am Harrison Hand - Another possible dark horse backup. I think he had a decent season with what he was given and I think he'll be a solid rotational and situational player for the team this year.
I think Hand is more than capable of outright winning the starting slot role. I'll go farther and predict he will win it. He played very well over the last quarter of the season, making lots of plays on the ball and showing solid understanding. Hand is a player to watch on defense next year.

To sum, I see both the Peterson and Mac signings as vet insurance. The Vikings really struggled all last season at CB due to the lack of any veteran leadership. Couple that with a lack of a pass rush and the defense never had a chance. Spielman and Zimmer know they can't have a repeat of last year in the secondary, and I assume they know they also can't have a repeat of last year along the defensive line. So they're making moves to shore both of those position groups up. But the players they are signing and the contracts they are signing them to suggest they are looking at the moves as short term insurance rather than long term investments to build around.

If things go well, neither Peterson nor Mac will be featured players for the Vikings next year.
That's some good stuff. You can't write Gladney off at this point or move him to another position. CB play and depth is very important in today's game. They signed some vets to cover in case these young guys don't develop like they hope. That's a good plan. We all have seen a guy like Dantzler who looks very good could take a step backwards this year. Teams have tape of him now and he will need to adjust. Gladney could take a step forward. It's up in the air. But I think Zim was embarrassed by that disgrace he put out there last year and he won't let that happen again. His entire vision is fixing the D now. He has a good track record.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:54 pm The contract suggests Peterson will be the other starting CB. But it is a 1 year deal so it also suggests the Vikings view Peterson as a bridge veteran who is capable of providing quality snaps but who isn't necessarily going to be the clear starter. I see this signing and contract more as a hedge in case Gladney and/or Hughes either can't get it done or, in the case of Gladney, don't develop as quickly as the Vikings hope.
This is flat-out nuts.

Patrick Peterson is the clear starter. Period. You can't seriously believe the Minnesota Vikings would go out and sign a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer for $10 million and have him sit the bench do you? Please tell me you don't really believe that.

Go watch tape of Peterson the past two seasons. Don't just watch the games and plays where he had trouble. Watch the good stuff, too. This is not a man who doesn't belong on the field. This is a guy who was used incorrectly in Arizona. Vance Joseph wanted to make a splash with Arizona's pass rush, so he ran Cover 1 on nearly 50% of their defensive snaps last year. That left Peterson on an island to follow the other team's best receiver 1-on-1. That's not where Peterson excels at this stage of his career. Freaking D.K. Metcalf is 230 pounds and runs 4.3. They were using Peterson like a young Deion Sanders or Darrelle Revis (or a young Patrick Peterson) against guys like Metcalf, and it just didn't make sense. Then they moved him into the slot, which made even less sense. Peterson's strengths, especially at this point of his career, are his ability to manhandle guys and use the sideline. In the slot, he has neither advantage. He has to rely on quickness, which he doesn't have enough of at this point.

But when they used him correctly, he still was one of the better corners in the league. He made a LOT of plays — only a couple of interceptions, but a ton of pass breakups. The guy is 6-1 and has very long arms. When he's around the football, he gets his hands on it. He's a long, strong, physical corner (Zimmer loves physical corners) so once he gets his hands on a receiver, he can drive him off-course and press him to the sideline. That includes big, fast guys like Metcalf, who had only 6 yards against Peterson in their first matchup last year. And while the opposing receiver is jostling with Peterson, guess what? He's running at the same speed as Peterson, nullifying any speed advantage. Use him in that way, and you'll get lots of mileage out of him.

Mike Zimmer is an expert at getting the most out of older guys like Peterson. He's revived the careers of Deion Sanders, Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Jonathan Joseph and others. He'll have a defense that communicates well and plays matchup zone concepts, so when teams run in-breaking routes (where Peterson's decline hurts him) Peterson can communicate and pass off guys to veterans like Harrison Smith or Eric Kendricks. Zimmer will get the most out of Peterson, whose best at this point is still better than Gladney or Dantzler or anybody else on the Vikings, if for no other reason than he's way, way smarter than those guys.

There is no way this guy isn't on the field for virtually every play if he's not injured.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm
VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:54 pm The contract suggests Peterson will be the other starting CB. But it is a 1 year deal so it also suggests the Vikings view Peterson as a bridge veteran who is capable of providing quality snaps but who isn't necessarily going to be the clear starter. I see this signing and contract more as a hedge in case Gladney and/or Hughes either can't get it done or, in the case of Gladney, don't develop as quickly as the Vikings hope.
This is flat-out nuts.

Patrick Peterson is the clear starter. Period. You can't seriously believe the Minnesota Vikings would go out and sign a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer for $10 million and have him sit the bench do you? Please tell me you don't really believe that.
What I believe is that Peterson might not win the starting job. I didn't say he wouldn't win it, but I don't believe he's going to be handed it either. Peterson might not win the job. If Zimmer hands it to him despite that, then Zimmer deserves what's coming to him.

I'm really puzzled at how little optimism there is on this board for Hughes and Gladney, both former 1st round picks of the Vikings. Are those guys chopped liver or something?

Hughes has had bad luck with injuries, but he's still on the team and Zimmer still speaks highly of him and his work ethic and desire to get on the field and contribute. Plus Hughes is in a contract year. If he's ever going to impress, this is the year he needs to do it. He might not, but the guy is going to get his chance.

Gladney likewise struggled in his first year, but he's much younger than Peterson and has a lot of physical talent. He might not improve with a full offseason I suppose, but one thing about Gladney coming out of college that was obvious was how competitive he was. He didn't give up easily and I expect him to work hard to put himself in a position where he can earn the starting spot outright as well.

As for Peterson, I'm not predicting he won't win the job outright either. He very well might and he might even experience something of a career resurgence in the process.

But a 1 year contract for $10 million tells me the Vikings needed insurance more than they needed a bonafide long term starter at CB. Peterson provides that. He's the policy they cash in if the younger guys they used 1st round picks on don't pay off first.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm
This is flat-out nuts.

What I believe is that Peterson might not win the starting job. I didn't say he wouldn't win it, but I don't believe he's going to be handed it either. Peterson might not win the job. If Zimmer hands it to him despite that, then Zimmer deserves what's coming to him.

I'm really puzzled at how little optimism there is on this board for Hughes and Gladney, both former 1st round picks of the Vikings. Are those guys chopped liver or something?

Hughes has had bad luck with injuries, but he's still on the team and Zimmer still speaks highly of him and his work ethic and desire to get on the field and contribute. Plus Hughes is in a contract year. If he's ever going to impress, this is the year he needs to do it. He might not, but the guy is going to get his chance.

Gladney likewise struggled in his first year, but he's much younger than Peterson and has a lot of physical talent. He might not improve with a full offseason I suppose, but one thing about Gladney coming out of college that was obvious was how competitive he was. He didn't give up easily and I expect him to work hard to put himself in a position where he can earn the starting spot outright as well.

As for Peterson, I'm not predicting he won't win the job outright either. He very well might and he might even experience something of a career resurgence in the process.

But a 1 year contract for $10 million tells me the Vikings needed insurance more than they needed a bonafide long term starter at CB. Peterson provides that. He's the policy they cash in if the younger guys they used 1st round picks on don't pay off first.
It would be premature to write off Gladney after just a year but Hughes is done. Even absent his injuries, his coverage skills never really materialized. Zimmer called it lack of confidence but whatever it is, he’s basically Asher Allen 2.0. If Jimmy G hadn’t thrown that ball right at him for the easy pick, his highlight reel would be near empty. He may have some value as a returner but the team choosing to bring back Abdullah may indicate otherwise.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm
This is flat-out nuts.

Just to be clear, Peterson not being a long-term starter is different than Peterson not starting in 2021. You said both, and I’m telling you there’s no chance he doesn’t start in 2021 unless he’s injured.

Hughes is done. I’m writing him off because the Vikings are. Why else would they sign two starting-caliber CBs?

I haven’t written Gladney off. But if he starts, I believe it will be in the slot. Alexander is the one who shouldn’t be automatically penciling himself in the lineup.

Peterson is going to start every game he’s healthy for. Maybe not in ‘22 or ‘23, but certainly this coming season. By signing his contract, he’s already “won” the job.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

My thinking on the changes in the secondary and any position group for that matter is the intangible of how they will interact as a unit. Teams can bring in a load of high buck future HOF players but how do they play as a unit? Some with lesser talent may interact well and play better as a unit. When the play well it elevates everyone’s play and results in individual accomplishments in the form of great stats.

Of course other position groups will directly affect the backfield. No secondary is going to look good without a pass rush. This is why I welcome the arrival of talented players but reserve judgement until I see how the work together. No team, not even the Super Bowl winners, have pro bowlers on every position. There is plenty of average on every roster, especially with QBs demanding a bigger piece of the pie.

Good players are important but the successful teams gel as a unit in each position group and good players elevate average resulting in a successful team. This is why while I enjoy following the offseason and draft I don’t get too excited about individuals.

The way OL is a different story as management doesn’t appear to be giving that position enough emphasis. Nevertheless, I won’t panic until the entire process of free agency, trades and draft documents lay out. There could still be some big surprising moves. I will leave that up to people who know a lot more that I do and see what shakes out by the time they begin training.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:46 am My thinking on the changes in the secondary and any position group for that matter is the intangible of how they will interact as a unit. Teams can bring in a load of high buck future HOF players but how do they play as a unit? Some with lesser talent may interact well and play better as a unit. When the play well it elevates everyone’s play and results in individual accomplishments in the form of great stats.

Of course other position groups will directly affect the backfield. No secondary is going to look good without a pass rush. This is why I welcome the arrival of talented players but reserve judgement until I see how the work together. No team, not even the Super Bowl winners, have pro bowlers on every position. There is plenty of average on every roster, especially with QBs demanding a bigger piece of the pie.

Good players are important but the successful teams gel as a unit in each position group and good players elevate average resulting in a successful team. This is why while I enjoy following the offseason and draft I don’t get too excited about individuals.

The way OL is a different story as management doesn’t appear to be giving that position enough emphasis. Nevertheless, I won’t panic until the entire process of free agency, trades and draft documents lay out. There could still be some big surprising moves. I will leave that up to people who know a lot more that I do and see what shakes out by the time they begin training.
Come on, man. They brought back Dakota Dozier. What more could you ask for? :lol:

Seriously, good measured post. I have faith that Patrick Peterson is the type of player who will positively influence others. Everything I've ever read about the guy, on and off the field, points that direction. For the first 8 years of his career, he did everything well. The past couple, age has begun to catch up with him. As a result, he can't:

– Cover in man-on-man from the slot.
– Cover in-breaking routes man-on-man all the way across the field.
– Cover the fastest players on go-routes without safety help (unless he gets a jam ... see below).

Every one of those things is something Zimmer can scheme for.

Meanwhile, Peterson is great at:

– Jamming receivers at the line ... still among the best in the NFL.
– Jamming receivers at the stem of their routes.
– Playing trail technique, which Zimmer loves.
– Getting his hands on any ball he's near ... we NEED this.
– Using the sideline to his advantage.
– Out-physical-ing even the most physical of receivers (although the last couple of years, he's gotten penalized more for this).
– Understanding routes and route combinations.
– Communicating.

There's a lot to like here. Will he be like the 24-year-old Patrick Peterson? Heck no. Will he make our defense better? With Zimmer calling the shots, absolutely. Is he worth $10 million? No idea.

The conundrum here is really twofold:

1. Where do the acquisitions of Peterson and Alexander leave Jeff Gladney?
2. What happens with Mike Hughes? His cap hit is minimal at $1.8 million, so I would think he'd make the team as a depth corner (we all saw how important depth or the lack of it was last year). But if they have a chance to sign an impact O-lineman and they need that 1.8? Mike Hughes might not make it through OTAs.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I saw that they offered Dozier a lowball contract and he signed. I'm looking at it as giving him a chance to refine his game and compete for a backup job. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt because they know 1000x more than I do about building a team and signing players. If they screw it up and put him in as a starter then I'll question their wisdom as there will be better players available in the leftover crumbs of free agency. Nevertheless, if they see potential and want to hang onto him perhaps there is an up side they see in him.

At the end of the day it's just a sporting event that I watch for entertainment when Sprint Car racing season is over. That is my passion, the Vikings are my fall and winter entertainment. :)
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:58 am It would be premature to write off Gladney after just a year but Hughes is done. Even absent his injuries, his coverage skills never really materialized. Zimmer called it lack of confidence but whatever it is, he’s basically Asher Allen 2.0. If Jimmy G hadn’t thrown that ball right at him for the easy pick, his highlight reel would be near empty. He may have some value as a returner but the team choosing to bring back Abdullah may indicate otherwise.
If he's done why is he still on the team?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 am Just to be clear, Peterson not being a long-term starter is different than Peterson not starting in 2021. You said both, and I’m telling you there’s no chance he doesn’t start in 2021 unless he’s injured.
So you're saying that if even if Gladney outperforms Peterson before the season starts and is the better player, Zimmer is starting Peterson regardless?

As I said before, if Zimmer does that, Zimmer deserves his fate. I think Zimmer wants his defense to improve and is going to make his personnel decisions based on that and not someone's pedigree or contract.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 am Peterson is going to start every game he’s healthy for. Maybe not in ‘22 or ‘23, but certainly this coming season. By signing his contract, he’s already “won” the job.
I agree with you, provided he's the best option.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:57 am
S197 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:58 am It would be premature to write off Gladney after just a year but Hughes is done. Even absent his injuries, his coverage skills never really materialized. Zimmer called it lack of confidence but whatever it is, he’s basically Asher Allen 2.0. If Jimmy G hadn’t thrown that ball right at him for the easy pick, his highlight reel would be near empty. He may have some value as a returner but the team choosing to bring back Abdullah may indicate otherwise.
He may not be for long. There's a lot of speculation in the mainstream media that he's not going to make it to June 1. I don't know whether I agree with cutting him, but it's what's being bandied about.

And even if he makes the roster, where is he going to play? You've got Peterson, who's going to start on the outside, even though you don't believe that. You've got Dantzler, who obviously is an injury risk, but he's the other starter on the outside. You've got Gladney, who can play both outside and slot, and you've got Mack Alexander. There's also Harrison Hand, whom you have praised on this board to the point that you think he could be a starter.

Meanwhile, Mike Hughes hasn't shown anything to make me believe he's going to be higher on the depth chart than any of those guys. So even if he makes the roster, where does Hughes fit?

Cutting Hughes only saves the Vikings $1.8 million against the cap, so he's got that going for him. But if they need that money to sign somebody else, I have to believe Hughes will be looking for work.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:53 pm Meanwhile, Mike Hughes hasn't shown anything to make me believe he's going to be higher on the depth chart than any of those guys. So even if he makes the roster, where does Hughes fit?

Cutting Hughes only saves the Vikings $1.8 million against the cap, so he's got that going for him. But if they need that money to sign somebody else, I have to believe Hughes will be looking for work.
Mike Hughes hasn't shown anything because he hasn't been on the field enough to show anything. That doesn't mean he has nothing to show.

Personally, I think Hughes has huge motivation to come out and have a "prove it" year, because if he doesn't, he's likely out of the league. I can't say that is what will happen, but don't be surprised if it does.

My optimism is supported by Zimmer's own statements regarding Hughes to this point. If Zimmer didn't speak highly or positively of Hughes I'd be more inclined to share your view of the situation. But barring an injury that would literally keep him from competing or the Vikings being down on him and wanting to move on, I think he'll be in the mix. If he does get cut, it will be only after the Vikings have seen where he's at on the field. More than likely that would happen at or just before the last cutdown date before the season starts.

I think one thing we can both agree on - the Vikings have put themselves in a much stronger position in the defensive backfield this offseason. They now have some well established vets to go along with their younger former draft picks and will have actual competition at the CB spots during the offseason. We should see improved play in the secondary regardless of who wins the open starting jobs at those positions.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm I'm really puzzled at how little optimism there is on this board for Hughes and Gladney, both former 1st round picks of the Vikings. Are those guys chopped liver or something?
It isn't just people on this board who aren't optimistic about Hughes and Gladney, it is the GM and HC too.

You don't put that kind of money into an outside corner if you have any hope one of those two will progress.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:57 am
Depth? Special teams? Who knows. They didn’t pick up his option. They grabbed two free agent corners. The writing is on the wall. 24 games and 3 years is a decent body of work to make an evaluation. The team usually keeps 6 corners and maybe he’ll be one. He’s still done from the aspect that he’s a first round bust.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:54 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm I'm really puzzled at how little optimism there is on this board for Hughes and Gladney, both former 1st round picks of the Vikings. Are those guys chopped liver or something?
It isn't just people on this board who aren't optimistic about Hughes and Gladney, it is the GM and HC too.

You don't put that kind of money into an outside corner if you have any hope one of those two will progress.
I get the doubts surrounding Hughes, but only from the perspective he's been unable to stay healthy, not from his ability to perform when healthy.

But you're saying that both the GM and HC have already lost faith in their rookie CB Jeff Gladney after one season where he was thrust into a starting role despite having no regular offseason program? They're giving up on him already?

How much money does the typical team spread across their defensive backfield? They shipped the money they had been paying to Harris when they didn't try to bring him back. That alone freed up enough money to sign Peterson I believe. It's hardly like they had to reach to make a substantial offer to an older free agent CB.

Getting Patrick Peterson of 2021 is about the same as another team getting the Adrian Peterson of 2017. Big name player with a long history of success, but not recent success and with strong evidence of decline. Maybe the Vikings get more out of Patrick Peterson in 2021 than the Saints got out of Adrian Peterson in 2017, but in my view there is a good reason the Cardinals didn't keep him around and the Vikings signed him to a one year deal, no matter how much that deal was worth. In my view the Vikings had the money with Harris gone and their need for a veteran insurance policy in the secondary meant the deal made sense.

This is not, however, a sign the Vikings have found their answer at CB. I don't even think it means they've found their immediate answer at QB. It means they've found their floor at the starting CB spot opposite Dantzler. It's a high floor, but still the floor. I hope between Hughes being in a make-it-or-break-it situation and Gladney getting the offseason he didn't get last year, one or both can exceed that floor.
Last edited by VikingLord on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.