Vikings trade for Guard Mason Cole

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pep2Moss
Starter

Re: Vikings trade for Guard Mason Cole

Post by Pep2Moss »

They just re signed Dozier too. The guards are beyond mediocre unless they keep Cleveland there and draft Vera-Tucker maybe?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pm They just re signed Dozier too. The guards are beyond mediocre unless they keep Cleveland there and draft Vera-Tucker maybe?
I was worried someone else would snatch him up! :party: :thumb: :dude:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Out of 123 guards/centers who played the majority of their team's snaps last year, Dakota Dozier had the worst pass blocking grade, Garrett Bradbury had the second-worst pass blocking grade and Mason Cole had the 7th-worst pass blocking grade
https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status ... 58337?s=20
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm
Out of 123 guards/centers who played the majority of their team's snaps last year, Dakota Dozier had the worst pass blocking grade, Garrett Bradbury had the second-worst pass blocking grade and Mason Cole had the 7th-worst pass blocking grade
Good luck, Captain Kirk!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm
They see something we don't! Now they just need to get Mannion back and we are set.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maybe they want continuity.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:24 pm
They see something we don't! Now they just need to get Mannion back and we are set.
We all have to admit that our O had a good overall season. But our OL was basically ####. That makes no sense to me. Is that normal for Kub's O. Don't worry about blocking my scheme don't need it. This is confusing. They might trade for Reiff during TC after the Bengals draft a guy and get the entire old gang back together. Worked once. I didn't think I'd ever see this Dozier guy again.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This isn’t a Kubiak or Dennison problem. It’s not OC related or positional coaching. This is unequivocally Rick Spielman. It’s been seven years. Seven.

Vikings team pass block grade and rank since 2014:

2014: 72.4 (23rd)
2015: 67.9 (28th)
2016: 64.7 (30th)
2017: 71.9 (17th)
2018: 63.6 (27th)
2019: 63.0 (27th)
2020: 55.5 (29th)

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Vikings/ ... 82145?s=19

To think it’s suddenly going to click 8 years in is folly.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 am This isn’t a Kubiak or Dennison problem. It’s not OC related or positional coaching. This is unequivocally Rick Spielman. It’s been seven years. Seven.

Vikings team pass block grade and rank since 2014:

2014: 72.4 (23rd)
2015: 67.9 (28th)
2016: 64.7 (30th)
2017: 71.9 (17th)
2018: 63.6 (27th)
2019: 63.0 (27th)
2020: 55.5 (29th)

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Vikings/ ... 82145?s=19

To think it’s suddenly going to click 8 years in is folly.
It won't change. In 2020 we were ranked 14 in passing offense based on YPG at 250.6 and the Packers were ranked 9 at 256.6. The Packers have a much better QB and OL. 6 yards a game better. I wouldn't can our guys either for 6 yards a game. Of course the Packers had 48 TD passes and we had 35. Was that Rodgers or the OL that made such a huge difference. This baffles my mind. The bottom line IMO is can you score points. Isn't that whats most important? Packers 31 we were 26 points per game. 5 points a game avg is huge. Was that Rodgers or the OL or some magical combination. We have our starters in place right now and don't really need anyone else. Is that all Speilman or is it Kub. Maybe Kub said our OL is fine just get Dozier back. Or maybe Kub said to Speilman our OL blows we need our Gs upgraded. And Speilman said F you Dozier is one of the best. I have no idea. Is the PFF grades valid. Maybe Kub has a higher grade for our OL than PFF. Who is more qualified?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think PFF grades are overrated but I also think Dozier and Bradbury need to improve pass blocking drastically. With Bradbury I think the problem is lack of strength which is what they said when he was coming out of college. I thought that would be fixed by now. Dozier I don't know what his main issue is. I just know he sacked Kirk last year against Tampa. :lol:
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:59 am I think PFF graded are overrated but I also think Dozier and Bradbury need to improve pass blocking drastically. With Bradbury I think the problem is lack of strength which is what they said when he was coming out of college. I thought that would be fixed by now. Dozier I don't know what his main issue is. I just know he sacked Kirk last year against Tampa. :lol:
I read some about PFF and the opinions are all over the place. IMO I don't know how an OL player can be graded when they don't know every offensive play design, the line call or the audibles at the LOS. So basically Dozier is a POS player in their grading system as is Bradbury. Then I get back to how did we have a very good overall offense with a POS OL. To me either the OL isn't that important or their grades are garbage. The OL is important because people need to be blocked. But basically our guys as an entire group suck wind based on PFF. If that's the case our offense or any offense would blow. It's a talking point and some use it as their player bible which is ok. But if their evaluations are great teams wouldn't need to employee people to scout players. Just use PFF for free. No of us know this but I think NFL pros make fun of them. Speilman might feel let's see PFF has Dozier graded as a POS. I'll piss off everyone and sign him. The fans will think I'm an idiot. None of us know how the team has our players graded. They must feel Dozier can do the job. While us fans think he's garbage as does PFF. I'll go with what our team does and deal with that in the Wins and Loses terms. There's no guessing about Ws and Ls. It's in front of everyone.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:59 am I think PFF graded are overrated but I also think Dozier and Bradbury need to improve pass blocking drastically. With Bradbury I think the problem is lack of strength which is what they said when he was coming out of college. I thought that would be fixed by now. Dozier I don't know what his main issue is. I just know he sacked Kirk last year against Tampa. :lol:
I read some about PFF and the opinions are all over the place. IMO I don't know how an OL player can be graded when they don't know every offensive play design, the line call or the audibles at the LOS. So basically Dozier is a POS player in their grading system as is Bradbury. Then I get back to how did we have a very good overall offense with a POS OL. To me either the OL isn't that important or their grades are garbage. The OL is important because people need to be blocked. But basically our guys as an entire group suck wind based on PFF. If that's the case our offense or any offense would blow. It's a talking point and some use it as their player bible which is ok. But if their evaluations are great teams wouldn't need to employee people to scout players. Just use PFF for free. No of us know this but I think NFL pros make fun of them. Speilman might feel let's see PFF has Dozier graded as a POS. I'll piss off everyone and sign him. The fans will think I'm an idiot. None of us know how the team has our players graded. They must feel Dozier can do the job. While us fans think he's garbage as does PFF. I'll go with what our team does and deal with that in the Wins and Loses terms. There's no guessing about Ws and Ls. It's in front of everyone.
A lot of good thoughts in that post and I completely agree. I would like to see them invest in the line heavily again in the draft. Maybe Dozier is a back-up? I'd be ok with that.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:02 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 am
A lot of good thoughts in that post and I completely agree. I would like to see them invest in the line heavily again in the draft. Maybe Dozier is a back-up? I'd be ok with that.
This draft will be interesting. We are all creatures of habit. Speilman will probably deal down for additional picks. I have always suggested the opposite. I want premium picks. We have 2 3rds and 4 4ths. That's exciting and you can find some good players in those rounds. I'd rather dump all six of them and get maybe 2 better picks. I like that Kyle Trask. He won't be there in round 3 or 4 and at the latest very early round 2 and maybe round 1. I'd take him at 14. That will never happen just like we didn't trade up for a guy like the 49ers did. I'm in the camp whatever they do they do. I don't get bent out of shape anymore over it. What I want isn't on their radar. The 49ers did what I wanted. They went for the gold which means taking chances.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:21 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:02 pm

This draft will be interesting. We are all creatures of habit. Speilman will probably deal down for additional picks. I have always suggested the opposite. I want premium picks. We have 2 3rds and 4 4ths. That's exciting and you can find some good players in those rounds. I'd rather dump all six of them and get maybe 2 better picks. I like that Kyle Trask. He won't be there in round 3 or 4 and at the latest very early round 2 and maybe round 1. I'd take him at 14. That will never happen just like we didn't trade up for a guy like the 49ers did. I'm in the camp whatever they do they do. I don't get bent out of shape anymore over it. What I want isn't on their radar. The 49ers did what I wanted. They went for the gold which means taking chances.
Agree. They're not listening to anyone in the fan base. I'm interested to see what they do and will follow them regardless. I haven't watched that much film on the QBs in this class because I just don't see them drafting one high. I usually watch position players then will watch film on a QB if they draft them and if they're a high enough pick to where they will be a starter in the future. For example, I'm not watching Browning film lol.
mael·strom

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

If you need high end analytics to try and understand that Dozier and company are putrid OL players....you are clueless.
It just reinforces the fact that spielman is utterly incompetent regarding building an offense. These guys are proven failures and we just re-upped on yet another losing season. Why would they spend one penny on these guys? Taking a chance on a 3rd round draft choice at least has a CHANCE of success. This is a real harbinger of failures to come.......