It is time to discuss the elephant in the room!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

It is time to discuss the elephant in the room!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 »

I will admit that this has been, so far, in free agency one of the best off seasons in Vikings history. The defensive line and secondary has been addressed and we still have the draft. The only position that still needs to be addressed is the linebacker position as Eric Wilson will probably sign elsewhere. I have to say great job on the defense.

The elephant in the room for the Vikings is the offensive line and quarterback positions. We know that with his salary and with the Vikings saying Kirk Cousins is their guy he is unlikely to be traded. I do not understand why the offensive line has not been addressed. The Vikings are two starting guards and one starting left tackle away from having a good offensive line. Does Cleveland move over to be the starting left tackle or do the Vikings trade up to try and get Penei Sewell? There are some good options at guard in this draft such as Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Rashawn Slater, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Alex Leatherwood, Ben Cleveland and Jackson Carman. The Vikings need at least two to make this offensive line better.

Back to Cousins, I would love for the Vikings to draft a young qb to back up Cousins such as Peyton Ramsey or Sam Ehlinger. The Vikings do not have the draft capital to move up to grab one of the elite quarterbacks so this is the second or maybe third tier.

The Vikings also need to look at another wide receiver such as Rashod Bateman, Rondale Moore or Kadarius Toney. Theilen is not getting any younger and there is not much depth behind him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: It is time to discuss the elephant in the room!!!

Post by CharVike »

Bottom line Cousins is the elephant. Many posts swing back to Cousins regardless of what the post is about. We need a better QB I agree with that. But he's better than watching Keenum. I made a post long before the 49ers did it that we needed to trade up in this loaded QB class. Most replied with we can't do that type of thing. Which is ok. There's plenty of knowledge here and plenty of opinions. That went out the window with the 49er trade. They beat us to the punch. More than likely it will fail for them. But there is a hope that they can get the Brees, Wilson, Rodgers type that will get you to the playoffs every year. They took the swing and we are still looking for the bat. Now it's to the 2nd or 3rd tier. Some have mentioned Trask which to me looks like a great idea. The kid doesn't need to be a plug in day one starter either. That should benefit him. Plus we can dump Cousins and that CAP hit and get some picks. This is what I found below.

In 2020, Trask took the SEC by storm, completing 301 passes, the second-most in the FBS to Alabama's Mac Jones who played in one extra game. In the end, Trask threw for 4,283 yards, 43 touchdowns and just eight interceptions.
Trask's weaknesses are clear. He is not a mobile quarterback, rushing for just 50 yards on 64 attempts (sacks are included), he also presents less-than-ideal arm strength, not able to always put the football on a rope and his playing experience leaves a lot to be desired.
He is not a perfect quarterback, but the end of the first round is not out of the question, especially when teams see him throw in Mobile (Ala.) next week at the Senior Bowl.

I don't give a crap about a running QB. I want a guy who can pass the ball first. His arm is not what I like but if he had a rifle he would probably go top 5. Plus he only played one year. So he will need to sit which is perfect for us.

I think we will need to use the 14th pick for him. Bill B is right behind us and seems to be in an active mode. If we skip then he will take him IMO. There won't be a difference maker at his spot anyway so why not roll the dice on the most important position. That is what we should do but we wont. And if the kid slides into the late teens say bye bye before round 2.

At the end of the day any QB will be ignored and I expect a trade down and then an OL pick. With this scheme I don't even know what they will look for. But it will need to be a guy that can move and get down field for some reason. A lighter guy with no base and plenty of movement. Should be many at the 20 something spot. Position won't matter either. Plug the guy into whatever spot is open. With that it will be a no base 4 year starter at G and he will be moved to LT. This scheme makes it easy to plug guys into open spots. That's a positive.

And yes we need a WR big time. We have two guys and then nothing that should be on an NFL roster. You can't get much thinner than that. But I'm sure this scheme has plenty of 1 WR packages that we can use. 1 WR 1 Back and 3 TEs. That should get everyone excited especially the TEs. Not so much the QB.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

My father was a big football fan and was thrilled when we landed our new team in 1961. Unfortunately he only saw four seasons of Vikings football before he passed away unexpectedly. I watched those first four seasons with him from age nine to twelve. One thing that I still remember was his disgust with Fran Tarkenton. He would get all bent out of shape and cuss the TV whenever Sir Francis started scrambling. In those days QBs were immobile statues and a QB buying that much time to keep the ball in play was unheard of.

Sorry dad, I don’t want to admit it but wherever you are I beg to disagree. Today those statue type QBs are a liability (sound familiar?). I never want to see another immobile QB in the Vikings backfield in my lifetime. Francis was my favorite and having a QB who can move and buy time is essential in today’s NFL. Please don’t draft what would amount to a Cousins II.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StanM wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:54 am My father was a big football fan and was thrilled when we landed our new team in 1961. Unfortunately he only saw four seasons of Vikings football before he passed away unexpectedly. I watched those first four seasons with him from age nine to twelve. One thing that I still remember was his disgust with Fran Tarkenton. He would get all bent out of shape and cuss the TV whenever Sir Francis started scrambling. In those days QBs were immobile statues and a QB buying that much time to keep the ball in play was unheard of.

Sorry dad, I don’t want to admit it but wherever you are I beg to disagree. Today those statue type QBs are a liability (sound familiar?). I never want to see another immobile QB in the Vikings backfield in my lifetime. Francis was my favorite and having a QB who can move and buy time is essential in today’s NFL. Please don’t draft what would amount to a Cousins II.
So you're not a Sean Mannion kinda guy? :lol:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:54 am My father was a big football fan and was thrilled when we landed our new team in 1961. Unfortunately he only saw four seasons of Vikings football before he passed away unexpectedly. I watched those first four seasons with him from age nine to twelve. One thing that I still remember was his disgust with Fran Tarkenton. He would get all bent out of shape and cuss the TV whenever Sir Francis started scrambling. In those days QBs were immobile statues and a QB buying that much time to keep the ball in play was unheard of.

Brady is a statue type and marched a wild card team to the Super Bowl. Rothlesberger is a statue type and he's done ok. RG3 is mobile and can't get a starting job. We could have drafted Lamar who is mobile. Don't expect much passing once he gets up against a D coordinator that will make him stay in the pocket and throw. This mobile and statue type of QB stretches the dynamics of the position. Even defining what is mobile has no clear definition. Is Burrow mobile? Cousins is considered a statue but I've seen him run for yardage. Not 50 or 60 yards but 10. Defining a QB as mobile or a statue is about as grey as it gets. I claim Brady is a statue others will say he is mobile. I claim Rothlesberger is a statue others will say he is mobile. This isn't like talking a completed pass where it happened or it didn't. Then you get into mobile versus running QB. Mobile versus scrambler. It never ends. Rodger the Dodger I guess was a mobile guy but he would take off for yardage. Landry didn't want him running but enjoyed the results. Was he mobile, running or a scrambler. I think all of them. But he could pass with the best also. Matt Ryan I would consider a statue the same with Brees. They both had success. If mobile was so important Lamar would be holding the trophy every year. He's the best ever at mobility. The statue Brady held the trophy again. Then people will come back and say Brady is mobile. I know he is he takes the snap and drops back that takes mobility. I guess Rodgers is a mobile guy. I've seen him pickup yardage. See how grey this gets. Dan Marino was a stick in mud. But he could throw a football with the best of them and had success. The guy we drafted Gannon is a Super Bowl guy and was mobile. Johnson who we also drafted was a super bowl guy who wasn't considered mobile but played basketball at FL ST which takes some mobility. Again that just adds another layer of crap. Mahomes is a mobile guy. But if they keep using that mobility to bang him into the line he won't be around long. Already was in concussion protocol. You only get so many of them. He could do it forever but it could end on the next run especially with his history.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think accuracy, toughness, durability, pocket awareness, processing/football IQ and leadership are the most important attributes for a QB. They do need to be able to sense when to step up and help the tackles. Of course you have to be firm up the middle to be able to step up. The Vikings have struggled mightily with that obviously.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 am

Brady is a statue type and marched a wild card team to the Super Bowl. Rothlesberger is a statue type and he's done ok. RG3 is mobile and can't get a starting job. We could have drafted Lamar who is mobile. Don't expect much passing once he gets up against a D coordinator that will make him stay in the pocket and throw. This mobile and statue type of QB stretches the dynamics of the position. Even defining what is mobile has no clear definition. Is Burrow mobile? Cousins is considered a statue but I've seen him run for yardage. Not 50 or 60 yards but 10. Defining a QB as mobile or a statue is about as grey as it gets. I claim Brady is a statue others will say he is mobile. I claim Rothlesberger is a statue others will say he is mobile. This isn't like talking a completed pass where it happened or it didn't. Then you get into mobile versus running QB. Mobile versus scrambler. It never ends. Rodger the Dodger I guess was a mobile guy but he would take off for yardage. Landry didn't want him running but enjoyed the results. Was he mobile, running or a scrambler. I think all of them. But he could pass with the best also. Matt Ryan I would consider a statue the same with Brees. They both had success. If mobile was so important Lamar would be holding the trophy every year. He's the best ever at mobility. The statue Brady held the trophy again. Then people will come back and say Brady is mobile. I know he is he takes the snap and drops back that takes mobility. I guess Rodgers is a mobile guy. I've seen him pickup yardage. See how grey this gets. Dan Marino was a stick in mud. But he could throw a football with the best of them and had success. The guy we drafted Gannon is a Super Bowl guy and was mobile. Johnson who we also drafted was a super bowl guy who wasn't considered mobile but played basketball at FL ST which takes some mobility. Again that just adds another layer of crap. Mahomes is a mobile guy. But if they keep using that mobility to bang him into the line he won't be around long. Already was in concussion protocol. You only get so many of them. He could do it forever but it could end on the next run especially with his history.
You're equating mobility to running for yardage. They're different things.

Brady and Brees are experts at sliding and moving in the pocket enough to buy time and give themselves throwing lanes. That's mobility.

Rodgers is among the most mobile QBs in the league. He's fantastic at escaping the rush and throwing on the run. He almost never runs for yardage, but there's not an analyst, coach or scout who would question his mobility.

Guys like Russell Wilson can escape the rush, throw in the pocket, throw on the run AND gain yardage. That's rare, and it's why his worst season in the NFL is 9 wins. Watson is the same way, only not as polished as Wilson.

Lamar obviously can escape and run for big yards, but he can't throw outside the numbers with accuracy.

Mobility in an NFL quarterback doesn't mean gaining yards on the ground. It means buying time and creating throwing lanes.

Cousins does not fit the NFL definition of mobile. One of the major knocks on him coming out of Michigan State was that he doesn't naturally feel escape routes, and that has continued in the NFL. He was better last year, but still not great. It had to be coached into him to even try to escape. So while he does have some mobility in that he throws very well on planned rollouts, those plays also eliminate half the field. That's not to say Cousins can't win. But the good teams take away what he does well and leave him with the things that make him struggle. Makes it more difficult for him to beat the better teams.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the Vikings if the defense improves back to Top 10 or better. Could completely change things for Cousins. For most of his years in the NFL, he's had to try and compensate for bad defenses. That's not his game. Take the pressure off him to put up 30 ppg, and he might thrive. But he has GOT to avoid the 4-6 game meltdowns that he has historically suffered with the Vikings. We need 16 games of consistency, rather than 10 spectacular games and 6 dumpster fires.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:32 pm

Brady and Brees are experts at sliding and moving in the pocket enough to buy time and give themselves throwing lanes. That's mobility.

Rodgers is among the most mobile QBs in the league. He's fantastic at escaping the rush and throwing on the run. He almost never runs for yardage, but there's not an analyst, coach or scout who would question his mobility.

Guys like Russell Wilson can escape the rush, throw in the pocket, throw on the run AND gain yardage. That's rare, and it's why his worst season in the NFL is 9 wins. Watson is the same way, only not as polished as Wilson.

Lamar obviously can escape and run for big yards, but he can't throw outside the numbers with accuracy.

Mobility in an NFL quarterback doesn't mean gaining yards on the ground. It means buying time and creating throwing lanes.

Cousins does not fit the NFL definition of mobile. One of the major knocks on him coming out of Michigan State was that he doesn't naturally feel escape routes, and that has continued in the NFL. He was better last year, but still not great. It had to be coached into him to even try to escape. So while he does have some mobility in that he throws very well on planned rollouts, those plays also eliminate half the field. That's not to say Cousins can't win. But the good teams take away what he does well and leave him with the things that make him struggle. Makes it more difficult for him to beat the better teams.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the Vikings if the defense improves back to Top 10 or better. Could completely change things for Cousins. For most of his years in the NFL, he's had to try and compensate for bad defenses. That's not his game. Take the pressure off him to put up 30 ppg, and he might thrive. But he has GOT to avoid the 4-6 game meltdowns that he has historically suffered with the Vikings. We need 16 games of consistency, rather than 10 spectacular games and 6 dumpster fires.
Amazing post! Only thing I wanted to add was that Cousins has the physical ability to be more mobile but mentally he has always held himself back. I feel like when the offense is struggling and he takes off for a 9 yard rush, it tends to get everything back on track. He moved better in the pocket late last year but, early in the season he was taking his drop steps and not moving from the spot he stopped at for the entire play. That makes things way to hard for your Oline and it leads to sacks.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:32 pm

I know the difference between mobile and running(LamarJ). I know Rodgers is mobile but he didn't side step or avoid rushers in the last two Champ games. He didn't feel the pressure until it was too late and took the sack. Basically falling down. That happens with every QB I have ever seen. That's why I like getting after the QB. Rodgers is a future HOF guy. Cousins doesn't do anything as well as him including mobility. I know that. He's not in his league. Never was never will be. Just like Rodgers isn't in Brady's league. That's the pecking order. I know that one also. That's why I have stated I would like us to move up is this QB heavy draft to get a guy Jones. That won't happen. We are trying to build a better core team. That's a huge effort. But they are trying which is good for us fans. Cousins can only have two meltdown games otherwise we won't get 13 wins which I think it will take to win the division. Otherwise we will be fighting for a wild card spot with the Rams 49ers and Saints I guess.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am

Nope! As far as I am concerned we have a warm body to fill the spot iand throw the rest of the season if Cousins goes down but no backup. If Kirk went out there and got hurt in week one we would be screwed. I would hope if that happened that he would agree to rework his deal to give us some space but probably not. It must cost him millions to keep his grandmas old van she gave him on the road as he doesn’t seem to want to budge on his contract.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:54 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am

Nope! As far as I am concerned we have a warm body to fill the spot iand throw the rest of the season if Cousins goes down but no backup. If Kirk went out there and got hurt in week one we would be screwed. I would hope if that happened that he would agree to rework his deal to give us some space but probably not. It must cost him millions to keep his grandmas old van she gave him on the road as he doesn’t seem to want to budge on his contract.
Thing is you don't know what that warm body will do until he starts playing. Keenum was a warm body who played a good portion of the season and we made it to the champ game. Foles who is a total disaster is a warm body and looked like the best to ever play the game for a spot and won a Super Bowl. We see teams plug warm bodies in and it usually isn't to good. The Pats had a warm body that was so bad they signed a total stiff. The Saints this year will go to the warm bodies. We'll see how that works out. It don't look go to me. But they both might play off the charts. Expecting players to give money back is the wrong approach. Hunter wants more and is still playing under the contract he signed. He could give some back. Yes making 30M a year seems off the charts and it is to us avg people. Brady's wife wouldn't get out of bed for that. The guys choosing the NFL as a career aren't avg people. There career is extremely short . You better get it while you can. I seen players careers end in one play. That could happen to any player. You see CEO gets booted and they get millions for the boot. There isn't many of those people. Money is important I wouldn't give it back either. But I always like a backup who is a developmental guy. We have had those guys in the past like Johnson/Gannon who were drafted but most years we never had that.
I would like to see us draft a dev guy and not some stiff that will be a free agent anyway.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Hey Peeps! I haven't posted in a while but I got a couple thoughts on this topic.

I really like most of the signings we have done so far in free agency. I think with Pierce and Hunter back with Tomlinson our D line and linebackers are gonna be sooooo much better. Saying that our D line will be better with them I still wouldn't be opposed to drafting a Edge rusher at 14, I really want Kwity Paye out of Michigan. I think this kid is gonna be a beast and if we landed him our D line would be amazing.

I think I am in the minority when I say unless some how Penei Sewell falls to us at 14 I don't want to draft a OL at 14. There is going to be so many options, not to mention trade offers to move back and pick up maybe a 2nd or another 3rd or both! I am just going to list a couple players I like that could be there at 14 that are probably not on many Vikings fans radar because they are not necessarily a position of need.
1. Patrick Surtain II Alabama CB- we have addressed the secondary so I would be surprised if they go this route. But, he will be good
2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Micah Parsons LB Notre dame, Penn state. - Both have the talent and smarts to be generational linebackers. Pair either one of them with Kendricks and Barr along with our Dline would be crazy. Both of these guys are just super talented and good human beings. Both will be special players IMO.
3.Some type of reciever- Waddle, Devonte Smith, Jamar Chase, Kyle Pitts (TE). - Thielen isn't getting any younger and another option for Cousins would be nice. There are a lot of recievers that should be available in the third and we could also address the position there. I like Sage Surrat from Wake Forrest, he should be there in the 3rd.

I would like the Vikings to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and get rid of Mannion. I like Jamie Newman, he was Sage Surrats QB at Wake forrest before he xfered to Georgia. He is 6'4" 230pds. He has a good arm and can run. Sit him behind cousins let him learn I would be way more excited with him as our backup than Mannion. Another couple Qbs to target in later rounds I like are Kellen Mond- Texas A&M. Kyle Trask- Florida.

I know that we just signed Woods but a safety in the 3rd or 4th would be good for us.
Elijah Molden CB/S Washington- I want this kid so bad but I think they would have to move up into the second to get him. This kid has great hands, great tackling, and is smart as hell, he was the leader of Washingtons defense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXwdzoTzMQ&t=54s if you have never heard of him watch this video. I have read that he wouldn't have any problem switching to safety in the NFL.
Richie Grant UCF S- They love that school for some reason. This guy is gonna be good though
Divine Deablo Virginia Tech S- Big kid, good hands, good tackler, smart. Could play close to the line or patrol deep safety.
Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida ST S- Could be there in late 3rd round early 4th round. he has good size 6'3" 215 pds. GREAT tackler who likes playing in the box. I think his versatility would be fun for Zim to play with.

There are also white a few decent interior O linemen to be had in the 3rd and 4th rounds, but I get soooooo bored with O line lol.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Scott in Fargo
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:10 pm I would like the Vikings to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and get rid of Mannion. I like Jamie Newman, he was Sage Surrats QB at Wake forrest before he xfered to Georgia. He is 6'4" 230pds. He has a good arm and can run. Sit him behind cousins let him learn I would be way more excited with him as our backup than Mannion. Another couple Qbs to target in later rounds I like are Kellen Mond- Texas A&M. Kyle Trask- Florida.
I think Mond and Newman will likely last into the 3rd and maybe even the 4th, as will Mills out of Stanford. Any of them would make solid developmental picks at QB to sit behind Cousins for a year or two.

Trask won't last past the middle of the 2nd and could go in the first. While Mac Jones is getting a lot of positive press lately, Trask is going to wow teams when they interview him and he might find himself moving even higher. No chance of getting him in the 3rd IMHO.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17 pm
Norv Zimmer wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:10 pm I would like the Vikings to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and get rid of Mannion. I like Jamie Newman, he was Sage Surrats QB at Wake forrest before he xfered to Georgia. He is 6'4" 230pds. He has a good arm and can run. Sit him behind cousins let him learn I would be way more excited with him as our backup than Mannion. Another couple Qbs to target in later rounds I like are Kellen Mond- Texas A&M. Kyle Trask- Florida.
I think Mond and Newman will likely last into the 3rd and maybe even the 4th, as will Mills out of Stanford. Any of them would make solid developmental picks at QB to sit behind Cousins for a year or two.

Trask won't last past the middle of the 2nd and could go in the first. While Mac Jones is getting a lot of positive press lately, Trask is going to wow teams when they interview him and he might find himself moving even higher. No chance of getting him in the 3rd IMHO.
I really like Newman. I think he could develop nicely.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Use one of those 4ths on the best QB available.