Vikings sign Xavier Woods

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings sign Xavier Woods

Post by Maelstrom88 »

'Vikings add former Cowboys safety to solidify secondary' via @fansided

https://thevikingage.com/2021/03/27/vik ... ier-woods/
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings sign Xavier Woods

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Wow. Another big move on defense. Xavier Woods was arguably their best player on defense last year. Playing opposite Harrison Smith, I think we're gonna have a great passing defense.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:12 pm Wow. Another big move on defense. Xavier Woods was arguably their best player on defense last year. Playing opposite Harrison Smith, I think we're gonna have a great passing defense.
Agree as long as they can get a rush. Why do you think Dallas didn't want him back?
mael·strom

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:12 pm Wow. Another big move on defense. Xavier Woods was arguably their best player on defense last year. Playing opposite Harrison Smith, I think we're gonna have a great passing defense.
Agree as long as they can get a rush. Why do you think Dallas didn't want him back?
Well it's pretty easy to see he regressed as he was no longer a scheme fit for Dallas, who, like we did Anthony Harris this year, forced him to play more up front since our rush defense was bad. Here he won't have to worry with Pierce/Tomlinson/Hunter/??? up front and with Kendricks, Barr, and even Alexander playing "Crush The Quarterback".
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I do not like this signing, he sucks but I am glad it is only a 1 year deal
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This is what caused problems for him in Dallas.
Xavier Woods committed the cardinal sin by saying he didn’t play “full-speed for 70 plays.”
In what can only be categorized as “the dumbest thing anyone ever said”, Woods alienated himself with fans, and summoned the full fury of Cowboys Nation upon himself. Many called for his immediate release, others wanted to bench him. Very few supported him and even fewer wanted him to be re-signed. That is from Fan Sided

Some positives are that he is only 25 years old. He has played 86% or more of the Dallas Cowboys defensive snaps over the past three seasons. Many of that as the last line of defense in a single high safety look. Xavier Woods is a good player. He’s not a Pro Bowler but he’s not a bum either. It would have been nice for the Cowboys to have upgraded the spot this offseason, but the talent has dried up and even if Dallas brings in one of those FS they’ve been courting, they aren’t necessarily better than Woods has been. Last year was bad for a lot of the Dallas Cowboys defenders. But only a year ago Woods was listed by PFF as the most underrated player on the Cowboys. At that point his coverage grade was ninth in the NFL amongst safeties and he was succeeding with some pretty questionable talent around him.

I didn't create this it's a copy and paste.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Xavier Woods committed the cardinal sin by saying he didn’t play “full-speed for 70 plays.”
In what can only be categorized as “the dumbest thing anyone ever said”, Woods alienated himself with fans, and summoned the full fury of Cowboys Nation upon himself. Many called for his immediate release, others wanted to bench him. Very few supported him and even fewer wanted him to be re-signed. That is from Fan Sided

Some positives are that he is only 25 years old. He has played 86% or more of the Dallas Cowboys defensive snaps over the past three seasons. Many of that as the last line of defense in a single high safety look. Xavier Woods is a good player. He’s not a Pro Bowler but he’s not a bum either. It would have been nice for the Cowboys to have upgraded the spot this offseason, but the talent has dried up and even if Dallas brings in one of those FS they’ve been courting, they aren’t necessarily better than Woods has been. Last year was bad for a lot of the Dallas Cowboys defenders. But only a year ago Woods was listed by PFF as the most underrated player on the Cowboys. At that point his coverage grade was ninth in the NFL amongst safeties and he was succeeding with some pretty questionable talent around him.

Thanks! In all fairness to Woods I probably wouldn't go all out every play for the Andy Dalton led Cowgirls either.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Thanks! In all fairness to Woods I probably wouldn't go all out every play for the Andy Dalton led Cowgirls either.
That is a classic think before you speak moment. I think it's a good signing at this point. It's better than having guys switch positions. I also like the fact that he is still a young player with many starts. It's better than signing some 30+ year old guy who has lost physical skills. You can only hide declining physical skills for so long. Our team is putting in the effort. Will it mean Super Bowl. I doubt it that is Brady for the foreseeable future. That's another year or another decade.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:47 pm I do not like this signing, he sucks but I am glad it is only a 1 year deal
:lol: WHY does this not surprise me?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Xavier Woods was second on the Cowboys in tackles last year.

Why does that matter? Because Dallas' run defense was absolutely pathetic. They gave up nearly 160 ypg on the ground. As a result, Woods was coming up to make tackles play after play because they were so bad. That eroded his ability to play the pass. Woods has great instincts in the passing game, but he was spending so much time in the box that he had a down year in coverage. Contrast that to 2019, when Dallas was 11th against the run at 103 ypg. Woods had a much better coverage grade. It makes sense that he would have a down year in 2020.

With Pierce, Tomlinson, Hunter, Barr and Kendricks, not to mention Nick Vigil who is a tackling machine, Woods should be able to get back to what he does best, which is make plays in the passing game.

Yes, that is an optimistic point of view, especially given that the Vikings were also terrible against the run in '20. But with the personnel we should put on the field in '21, I think optimism is warranted.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Which leads me into my next thought. I am now convinced the Vikings will take one of the two top rush DEs in the draft. They appear determined to totally repair their defense. Now do not get me wrong, that is not a bad plan. Part of my feeling on this is I have heard the Vikings say they feel this is a deep draft for OL I am not generally impressed with 3rd round players for starting OL, but if in reality there is quality to be had there fine.

I do think everyone agrees the draft has good depth for WRs. Vikings should be able to add good depth to that group, and possibly find a good # 3/slot WR. They also need to find another LB. Geez, they might even be able to draft a good FG kicker in the 4th or 5th. If they can get Zimmer top promise to have a tiny bit of patience. Ok, that last bit was a bit of sarcasm. Vikings should be able to address depth at multiple positions in this draft.

The Vikings will have plenty to sign draft picks. I still think they will make one more OL signing in FA, particularly if they are hoping a top DE is available in the 1st round.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingTom wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Which leads me into my next thought. I am now convinced the Vikings will take one of the two top rush DEs in the draft. They appear determined to totally repair their defense. Now do not get me wrong, that is not a bad plan. Part of my feeling on this is I have heard the Vikings say they feel this is a deep draft for OL I am not generally impressed with 3rd round players for starting OL, but if in reality there is quality to be had there fine.

I do think everyone agrees the draft has good depth for WRs. Vikings should be able to add good depth to that group, and possibly find a good # 3/slot WR. They also need to find another LB. Geez, they might even be able to draft a good FG kicker in the 4th or 5th. If they can get Zimmer top promise to have a tiny bit of patience. Ok, that last bit was a bit of sarcasm. Vikings should be able to address depth at multiple positions in this draft.

The Vikings will have plenty to sign draft picks. I still think they will make one more OL signing in FA, particularly if they are hoping a top DE is available in the 1st round.
Yeah it's looking more likely that they will have their pick of edge rushers at 14. I think they're going to have to lock the defensive coaches out of the room if they want oline at that spot.
mael·strom

MichaelRay82
Waterboy

Post by MichaelRay82 »

Should be a top 10 D
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingTom wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm

It was funny sarcasm. Maybe it will be a punter this time. Speilman will say he sees the next Ray Guy in him and we got him much later. He'll shank an early punt and Zimmer will cut him. The guy will go to another team and lead the NFL in punting avg. Why not. I think they need to pick a WR and as you posted the depth is good.