Vikings Sign Patrick Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MikethePurple
Veteran

Re: Vikings Sign Patrick Peterson

Post by MikethePurple »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:07 pm I don't really care for the signing. Yes he had a great career but he's been on the decline 2 straight years. He had a 55 grade from PFF. 10 million isn't chump change. That's a big hit no matter how it's sliced. Obviously they have a vision for him and it goes beyond the stuff I can see. A much lower let's see if you can still play deal would make more sense. They are on a roll in FA so maybe it will work out great.
I'd agree. Great player in the past and sounds like it will most likely be 9 million with earning a possible extra 1 million if he's an All Pro (which I am pessimistic about). I'd agree with some folks that it's great to get a veteran in the cornerback room but for 9 million? Especially for a player who has been trending downward for 2 years? I would have much preferred someone cheaper who maybe is more of a stabilizing veteran presence. I'm more worried now about their ability to get any help on the O-line. Not to mention the fact that they have two nose tackles on defense now, I'm little confused and not really in agreement with how they are allocating very limited resources in this offseason.....
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wonder if he'll move to safety. He has the size for it.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:01 am Wonder if he'll move to safety. He has the size for it.
I'd guess he sticks at corner this year at least. Now if we draft a corner at 14 that all changes. :lol:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Angels Wings wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 pm I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, he is not the All-Pro he once was at Arizona, but on the other hand he is a veteran presence for a very young secondary on a one year deal.

Also, I still want Surtain at 14 if Jaelan Phillips is off the board...
I’m a big Asante Samuel Jr. fan if we can trade down in round 1 and pick up a 2nd round pick. Kids a beast
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:01 am Wonder if he'll move to safety. He has the size for it.
I do not see it since Vikings have Harris and Harrison
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 am
Angels Wings wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 pm I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, he is not the All-Pro he once was at Arizona, but on the other hand he is a veteran presence for a very young secondary on a one year deal.

Also, I still want Surtain at 14 if Jaelan Phillips is off the board...
I’m a big Asante Samuel Jr. fan if we can trade down in round 1 and pick up a 2nd round pick. Kids a beast
I bet Asante will go to the Lions
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MikethePurple wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:47 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:07 pm I don't really care for the signing. Yes he had a great career but he's been on the decline 2 straight years. He had a 55 grade from PFF. 10 million isn't chump change. That's a big hit no matter how it's sliced. Obviously they have a vision for him and it goes beyond the stuff I can see. A much lower let's see if you can still play deal would make more sense. They are on a roll in FA so maybe it will work out great.
I'd agree. Great player in the past and sounds like it will most likely be 9 million with earning a possible extra 1 million if he's an All Pro (which I am pessimistic about). I'd agree with some folks that it's great to get a veteran in the cornerback room but for 9 million? Especially for a player who has been trending downward for 2 years? I would have much preferred someone cheaper who maybe is more of a stabilizing veteran presence. I'm more worried now about their ability to get any help on the O-line. Not to mention the fact that they have two nose tackles on defense now, I'm little confused and not really in agreement with how they are allocating very limited resources in this offseason.....
I would say Tomlinson is more of a hybrid 3 tech/nose. Michael Pierce even said, it reminds him of when he had Brandon Williams playing next to him in Baltimore. These guys are going to be extremely difficult to move and tough for interior OLs to scheme against. I really like the thought of it because I think Zim is going to get creative with them.

And man, if we can get hunters situation figured out, if we don’t have a top 3 run defense in the entire nfl (barring something crazy), I’d be absolutely shocked.

Between Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, kendricks and Barr, they are all near elite run defenders. Barr probably being the worst but still very solid. If you can sit here and say that out of those 5, Anthony Barr is your worst run defender, you have a hell of a front 5.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The 2 year decline should stick out like a sore thumb. It's not a one off deal. This is a trend and at 31 that means the gig is up. I get the veteran leadership BS but don't give that kind of coin for it. The nose tackle deal is another laugh. The NFL is a passing league in general. We are gearing up like it's 1972 all over again. The teams we need to beat all have great QBs. A NT won't do a dam thing to slow them up. Pass rush and solid cover guys should be the goal.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:41 am
I do not see it since Vikings have Harris and Harrison
Harris is a free agent...
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:18 am

The 2 year decline should stick out like a sore thumb. It's not a one off deal. This is a trend and at 31 that means the gig is up. I get the veteran leadership BS but don't give that kind of coin for it. The nose tackle deal is another laugh. The NFL is a passing league in general. We are gearing up like it's 1972 all over again. The teams we need to beat all have great QBs. A NT won't do a dam thing to slow them up. Pass rush and solid cover guys should be the goal.
You’re best bet is to actually research dalvin Tomlinson. He has played all over the interior. Everyone is pegging him as a NT because that was his listed position.

And as for Peterson, since Arizona got their new coach, they’ve been playing a ton of cover 1. Zim plays primarily cover 2 which could be exactly what Peterson needs at this age. Just because he’s 31 does not mean the “gig is up”. Not sure where you’re even getting that from. Guys like Richard Sherman, Jonathan Joseph, Terrance Newman, and plenty more have still played very solid football. They aren’t a 25 year old shut down corner but they are still very good.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The Packers ran all over the Rams in the playoffs last year. That's how they won that game. The Buccaneers with Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh have two run stuffing body occupying defensive tackles. I think Dalvin and Pierce with sheer Mass can get a surge up the middle like they do and then it's up to the defensive ends to close in. Having Hunter back will obviously help but they do need to bring in another guy to start opposite him in my opinion. I know people will complain about the offensive line not being addressed but I really think they should draft Paye at 14. Hopefully they can bring in some better candidates or draft somebody in the third round to play guard.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:40 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:18 am
You’re best bet is to actually research dalvin Tomlinson. He has played all over the interior. Everyone is pegging him as a NT because that was his listed position.

And as for Peterson, since Arizona got their new coach, they’ve been playing a ton of cover 1. Zim plays primarily cover 2 which could be exactly what Peterson needs at this age. Just because he’s 31 does not mean the “gig is up”. Not sure where you’re even getting that from. Guys like Richard Sherman, Jonathan Joseph, Terrance Newman, and plenty more have still played very solid football. They aren’t a 25 year old shut down corner but they are still very good.
You have much more knowledge than me about the guy. I just go by what I read and stats. Most of what I read is that he's a great run stuffer. I never saw anything good about his pass rush ability. And maybe that's not what the signing was for. 31 is old to be a football player. Can some guys play longer sure. Most don't make it that far. Position matters also. I'm not disagreeing with signing the guys because that's there decision. I was hoping for something different that's all.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

The more gaps and holes we fill in FA will allow us to focus more on BPA in the coming draft. I know the latest additions are are only for a year or 2 but still should improve our 2021 roster over last years group IMO and hopefully prevent us from reaching in the draft because of serious need.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

hmmmmm, I am a bit skeptical of this move

Pros:
1. He does provide valuable experience in an incredibly young secondary (similar to Newman years ago, and that worked out really well).
2. He can still play and they can use the help in the secondary
3. decreases chances the Vikings "pull another Hughes" and reach for a CB in the 1st

Cons:
1. Expensive - isn't the OL more of a glaring need?? The secondary could use the help, but the OL looks like a dumpster fire at this point
2. As others have stated, he is getting long in the tooth....he can still play but is on the decline - will his skills drop of even more next year?
3. Unlike Newman he's never played for Zimmer in the past, so not sure how they will interact. Newman knew what he was getting into. But how will a player of Peterson's experience and accolades handle Zimmer screaming at him that he's lining up 2cm out of position?

Overall, I think this move makes the Defense and the team better.....I just think they could have made greater team improvement if the $$ had been spent elsewhere. I don't know, maybe they love the OL they see in the draft???
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Meh I’m ok with it probably could have got Alexander back for 3 years for that kinda money. I wonder if he’s going to be a safety

The plan must be to win games 14 to 10. Old school defense battle

I would have looked into gabe Jackson they sure don’t seem concerned about the oline