Vikings Interested in S Keanu Neal

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings Interested in S Keanu Neal

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... eanu-neal/
S Anthony Harris is arguably the best player in the Vikings’ 2021 free agency class.

Harris had a 2019 where he tallied six interceptions in the regular season and one in the playoffs. That year, he earned a PFF grade of 90.5.

In 2020, Harris regressed. He had no interceptions and a PFF grade of 66.2. However, based on his body of work, Harris should still command a decent price in free agency.

So it makes sense that Minnesota is reportedly looking for other safeties in free agency. Per multiple reports, the Vikings have expressed interest in Falcons S Keanu Neal, who is a free agent this offseason. Although, Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press added the caveat that it is “early interest” at this time.

Neal had one interception and a PFF grade of 68.2 in 2020. He made the Pro Bowl in 2017 when he had one interception and a PFF grade of 78.1. He suffered back-to-back season-ending injuries in 2018 and 2019.

So Neal has been good in the past and the Vikings probably don’t need a stellar safety paired with someone as good as S Harrison Smith. That said, this move would likely be a downgrade from the Smith-Harris pairing back deep.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Interested in S Keanu Neal

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... eanu-neal/
S Anthony Harris is arguably the best player in the Vikings’ 2021 free agency class.

Harris had a 2019 where he tallied six interceptions in the regular season and one in the playoffs. That year, he earned a PFF grade of 90.5.

In 2020, Harris regressed. He had no interceptions and a PFF grade of 66.2. However, based on his body of work, Harris should still command a decent price in free agency.

So it makes sense that Minnesota is reportedly looking for other safeties in free agency. Per multiple reports, the Vikings have expressed interest in Falcons S Keanu Neal, who is a free agent this offseason. Although, Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press added the caveat that it is “early interest” at this time.

Neal had one interception and a PFF grade of 68.2 in 2020. He made the Pro Bowl in 2017 when he had one interception and a PFF grade of 78.1. He suffered back-to-back season-ending injuries in 2018 and 2019.

So Neal has been good in the past and the Vikings probably don’t need a stellar safety paired with someone as good as S Harrison Smith. That said, this move would likely be a downgrade from the Smith-Harris pairing back deep.
Meh, I honestly rather draft a safety to replace Harris
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:02 pm
Meh, I honestly rather draft a safety to replace Harris
Is there a guy that can come in and start and play at least average? That's the last line of defense. Smith isn't no kid anymore. He's at the age were it can be over quickly. How did Harris fall off the cliff? I don't think teams are looking at him.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

On the surface, this sounds exciting. Neal is a Bob Sanders type, a guy who can cover, tackle, and blitz. Huge hitter.

But he's also a Bob Sanders type in that he's hurt a lot. Missed most of 2018 and 2019 with injuries. Stayed healthy last year.

Not sure about this one. Guy can certainly play. He's a Pro Bowler. But we've said it over and over on this board — the best ability is availability. Can this guy stay healthy?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Purple Podcast FTW on YouTube made a good point about how Neal could allow Smith to be a true center fielder and save his body a little. I'd take Neal on a cheap deal.

Side note: Is Jayron Kearse done in the NFL? I thought he'd be a starter a few years back.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:17 pm Purple Podcast FTW on YouTube made a good point about how Neal could allow Smith to be a true center fielder and save his body a little. I'd take Neal on a cheap deal.

Side note: Is Jayron Kearse done in the NFL? I thought he'd be a starter a few years back.
Yeah, Jayron is done, Jayron has not played since 2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:17 pm Purple Podcast FTW on YouTube made a good point about how Neal could allow Smith to be a true center fielder and save his body a little. I'd take Neal on a cheap deal.

Wow I thought he was a lion last year. Guess I lost track of him.
mael·strom

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 am

He was a Lion last year then Lions waived him then Ravens signed Jayron on the practice squad and Jayron's contract expired and he has not been on any team since, it is sad because I thought Jayron was going to be a good player but I was wrong
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 am

He was a Lion last year then Lions waived him then Ravens signed Jayron on the practice squad and Jayron's contract expired and he has not been on any team since, it is sad because I thought Jayron was going to be a good player but I was wrong
He is a solid backup who can't stay out of trouble.

If he were a starter some team might keep him around, but he just isn't worth the headache as a backup.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:36 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm

He is a solid backup who can't stay out of trouble.

If he were a starter some team might keep him around, but he just isn't worth the headache as a backup.
You are right, I forgot about his trouble with the law
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:48 pm He's a Cowboy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/sta ... 5091661827
Good, now lock this thread