So what happens with Rudolph?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: So what happens with Rudolph?

Post by chicagopurple »

He WAS a great TE for awhile...now he is aging and on the downslope.
I like the guy and hope he gets picked up by a real contender so he can finally get a taste of real sucess.
There is no way the Vikes can justify using up our limited cash on a big extension for him....so Spielman will probably do just that and mess us up further.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:06 am He WAS a great TE for awhile...now he is aging and on the downslope.
I like the guy and hope he gets picked up by a real contender so he can finally get a taste of real sucess.
There is no way the Vikes can justify using up our limited cash on a big extension for him....so Spielman will probably do just that and mess us up further.
Extension on the first day of FA. 14 million a year. Top paid TE in all of football.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:04 am It's difficult to say on Ezra and Reiff without being at practices or knowing what the Vikings think of Ezra.

1. I know a lot of the board think Ezra is a natural LT. That's what he played in college and that's what it would seem his size & athleticism would fit. But do we know if that's what the Vikings think? I thought there was some speculation right after the draft if the Vikings saw him as a G or an OT? I'm not sure, but are we 100% convinced the Vikings long term plans for Ezra are at OT?
2. How has he looked in practice at OT? I'm sure they've at least worked him out there....do they think he's ready to take over LT in 2021?

Either way, buckle your seatbelts....we're only a couple of weeks away from FA and it should be an exciting one....Lot's of decisions to make!!!!!!!!!
I think the answer to #2 is also the answer to #1. He hasn't played a single snap at tackle in practice and the Vikings immediately moved him to guard as soon as they drafted him. They view him as a guard, and won't move him back to tackle unless he fails there or an injury forces them too.

Not sure if that is the right move for them to make, but for the foreseeable future, any plans we make with Cleveland at LT should be put on hold.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:15 am
Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:38 pm

On this note there are a couple of other guys that could get gone. Does anyone think Bar could be trade bait or cut? Wilson didn't exactly stink and he's a whole lot more affordable. Harris is likely gone too. The defense could look very different this season.
I dont think Zim will ever cut bait with Barr. Barr is Zim's baby. I dont think he necessarily should be cut, he just needs a new contract. I feel like that contract was more Zims doing than anyone. But by the sounds of it Barr wants nothing to do with a new contract.
Could be but I just picked this out of an article today. These weeks heading into the draft are going to be interesting.

From the web today: "Barr will be a $15 million crater in the Vikings books this year, unless he and the team can agree to restructure his contract."

I like Barr but not for $15M a year....jmo.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If they move on from Reiff, I wouldn't be surprised if Udoh is in the mix. O'Neill to LT, Udoh RT, Cleveland stays at guard. I mean that's basically what they were okay with going into the season this year before Reiff budged at the last second. That's scary to think about in hindsight but that was quite literally the plan. And I use the word plan very generously because I don't think they've had one at OL for as far back as I can remember.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:02 pm

I dont think Zim will ever cut bait with Barr. Barr is Zim's baby. I dont think he necessarily should be cut, he just needs a new contract. I feel like that contract was more Zims doing than anyone. But by the sounds of it Barr wants nothing to do with a new contract.
Could be but I just picked this out of an article today. These weeks heading into the draft are going to be interesting.

From the web today: "Barr will be a $15 million crater in the Vikings books this year, unless he and the team can agree to restructure his contract."

How many dumb contracts can one team hand out.
Stephan, Barr, Kirk, Rudolph.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:06 pm
Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:02 pm

How many dumb contract can one team hand out.
Stephan, Barr, Kirk, Rudolph.
Mr. Gump says "stupid is as stupid does".
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:38 pm

On this note there are a couple of other guys that could get gone. Does anyone think Bar could be trade bait or cut? Wilson didn't exactly stink and he's a whole lot more affordable. Harris is likely gone too. The defense could look very different this season.
Barr does not need a new contract, Barr needs to be cut, he is not that good
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:04 pm

People think a guy that is game-planned for but doesn't produce is irreplaceable. He's not. For 15 million, we can get two stars on defense.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Oh I agree whole heartedly, Barr in my humble opinion is vastly over rated and is paid as such. I thought Wilson who carries less than 1/4 Barr' salary is a way better value overall.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

And this is what the average fan says when discussing Barr (not saying you are an average fan, just saying this is the typical opinion on Barr).

Flat out cutting Barr is not the right move IMO. Does he need a lowered cap hit, yes. Should he be cut, absolutely not. I've posted this below before. This was an article done a year or two ago breaking down Anthony Barr in depth....
Still, despite the occasional blunders and low stat production, Barr is one of the best outside linebackers in the NFL. He may not be the most impactful player on the stat sheet, but he has quietly become an extremely well-rounded defender.

2nd in yards allowed per coverage snap,
3rd in targets per coverage snap,
3rd in catches allowed per coverage snap,
1st in pass rushing productivity, and
15th in run defense grade.
Saying Barr isnt that good just simply isnt true. He's not a highlight reel type ball player, but Barr is a very solid LB. I feel like there was that little bit of hype that Barr could be this stud edge rusher coming out of college and he wasnt that so fans automatically wrote him off. Yes Barr needs a contract that is more team friendly, but there is no way he should be cut.

The fact he doesnt want his contract touched, could be a problem.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I totally agree, you don't cut a player with Barr's ability, but if he won't re negotiate his contract , they may have to move him either for a mid level pick or package him with some one else and either move up in draft or a trade.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:34 am

And this is what the average fan says when discussing Barr (not saying you are an average fan, just saying this is the typical opinion on Barr).

Flat out cutting Barr is not the right move IMO. Does he need a lowered cap hit, yes. Should he be cut, absolutely not. I've posted this below before. This was an article done a year or two ago breaking down Anthony Barr in depth....
Still, despite the occasional blunders and low stat production, Barr is one of the best outside linebackers in the NFL. He may not be the most impactful player on the stat sheet, but he has quietly become an extremely well-rounded defender.

2nd in yards allowed per coverage snap,
3rd in targets per coverage snap,
3rd in catches allowed per coverage snap,
1st in pass rushing productivity, and
15th in run defense grade.
Saying Barr isnt that good just simply isnt true. He's not a highlight reel type ball player, but Barr is a very solid LB. I feel like there was that little bit of hype that Barr could be this stud edge rusher coming out of college and he wasnt that so fans automatically wrote him off. Yes Barr needs a contract that is more team friendly, but there is no way he should be cut.

The fact he doesnt want his contract touched, could be a problem.
I'm certainly not saying Barr is bad, he's not bad at all. My point of contention with him is value. I don't feel at $15M that his value on the field is on par with that sort of contract number.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Rudy to the Giants, 2 years.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:26 pm Rudy to the Giants, 2 years.
Giants sure love ex players from Vikings but good for Kyle, I wish him the best