Cousins Trade Rumors

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Re: Cousins Trade Rumors

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:24 pm
As for the veteran franchise QBs who do change teams, Tampa got Brady because Brady was a FA and elected for a chance of scenery. The Vikings in 2009 got Favre the same way. Great QBs otherwise don't change hands. The fact that Stafford got traded just tells me the Lions know he's not the long-term answer at QB. Wentz is reportedly on the block for the same reason, and if Watson is truly on the block, that says "Houston, we have a problem" more than it indicates the Texans really think they have a franchise QB who is just not happy there..
Otherwise they would make him happy.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 pm
As for the veteran franchise QBs who do change teams, Tampa got Brady because Brady was a FA and elected for a chance of scenery. The Vikings in 2009 got Favre the same way. Great QBs otherwise don't change hands. The fact that Stafford got traded just tells me the Lions know he's not the long-term answer at QB. Wentz is reportedly on the block for the same reason, and if Watson is truly on the block, that says "Houston, we have a problem" more than it indicates the Texans really think they have a franchise QB who is just not happy there..
Is it really that simple? How would they go about doing that with no cap space, no picks and the team trending in a downward direction?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I agree for the most part, there are never any healthy youngish veteran QBs available via trade or FAs who are long term answers. It is foolish to try to solve your QB problem that way unless an unprecedented thing like a clear top 5 QB is stuck on a team ruined by an incompetent buffoon and asking for a trade. If that trade isn't going to work though, you find your QB in the draft, just like every other team with a long term great QB has done except the Saints.

Sign a bridge QB on the cheap, build that great roster and when you finally hit the jackpot, you have that team that can win it all.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Reports....Russell Wilson not happy in Seattle. Management not happy with him for going public with his frustrations of Seattle never giving him an OL that can protect him. Sick of being hit. Guess we can rule out Minnesota as a landing place.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 am Reports....Russell Wilson not happy in Seattle. Management not happy with him for going public with his frustrations of Seattle never giving him an OL that can protect him. Sick of being hit. Guess we can rule out Minnesota as a landing place.
Wilson is my favorite QB in the NFL, but he has to understand that the biggest reason his team can't put a good Oline in front of him is because he is taking up so much of the cap.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:52 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 am
My point was that to win a SB, you have to get to a SB. We haven’t been to one in 44 years.

To get to a SB, you have to win in the regular season. We’ve averaged 8 wins a year for 20 years. And I didn’t even bother with the 1990s, which was pretty much a black hole except for ‘98.

We can talk “SB wins” all we want, but the fact is that most of the teams you mention above lost to New England in their SB appearances. We’ve never seen a franchise dominate like they did, and we may never again. The common factor in all of those NE wins most decidedly WAS a great QB. The greatest to ever play. Sunday’s win for TB should make that painfully apparent.

I think it’s impossible to know whether Kirk Cousins can lead this team on a deep playoff run because the team in its entirety is so mediocre.
You mean 45 years 2021-1976=45 years
January 10, 1977.

I'll never forget the date because my dad died the next morning.

44 years. 44 seasons.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:00 pm

Is it really that simple? How would they go about doing that with no cap space, no picks and the team trending in a downward direction?
Don't know how simple it would be. Don't know what size of burr is up Watson's hole. Seems to me Houston, who has not been a bad franchise until quite recently, has recognized they have problems and started making big changes to correct it. Who knows if it will work but they are trying it seems. If he is the elite savior he is made out to be, they will do anything reasonable to make him happy. If that can't be done, perhaps Watson is unreasonable? Perhaps they don't think he is really worth doing whatever it takes to make him happy? If they trade a truly elite, franchise changing QB, that says something. Either he isn't a truly elite, franchise changing QB or he isn't worth it for some other reason.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 am
Don't know how simple it would be. Don't know what size of burr is up Watson's hole. Seems to me Houston, who has not been a bad franchise until quite recently, has recognized they have problems and started making big changes to correct it.
It seems that they are doing everything they can to make him happy then. Unfortunately for them, realistically they are years away from competing again and are an organization that felt giving Bill O'Brian total control of the team was a good idea.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Where there is a will there is a way, even if that way might be an initial step or two backwards.

I've never seen a team trade a true franchise QB given how rare they are. It just doesn't happen and if it happens with Watson I'd say history will show that was still true.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm
Where there is a will there is a way, even if that way might be an initial step or two backwards.

I've never seen a team trade a true franchise QB given how rare they are. It just doesn't happen and if it happens with Watson I'd say history will show that was still true.
We have also never seen a QB of Watson's caliber ask to be traded though. The closest thing we have ever come to that is Palmer when he forced a trade from the Bengals.

Houston doesn't want to trade Watson, but might if Watson forces them to.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:08 pm
I agree for the most part, there are never any healthy youngish veteran QBs available via trade or FAs who are long term answers. It is foolish to try to solve your QB problem that way unless an unprecedented thing like a clear top 5 QB is stuck on a team ruined by an incompetent buffoon and asking for a trade. If that trade isn't going to work though, you find your QB in the draft, just like every other team with a long term great QB has done except the Saints.

Sign a bridge QB on the cheap, build that great roster and when you finally hit the jackpot, you have that team that can win it all.
No young healthy QBs available. Brett Farve was traded after his rookie year to the Packers. Jimmy G was traded and took a team to the Super Bowl. We had a great 1st round QB with two HOF WRs and missed getting to the Super Bowl when a FA stiff Collins beat us 41-0. Kurt Warner was a FA and had some success. Steve Young was traded. We traded for Tark. I could keep going because there are many others. When you keep signing bridge QBs as you suggest that give you no chance the stadium will be empty and the owner will can everybody. With Brady now in the NFC every team needs to upgrade to get even or better. The draft never has that many good QBs for that to be even a choice. The AFC faces the Mahomes challenge. They all need to get better. That won't happen either. IMO we have three huge problems. Brady in our conference, Rodgers in our division and a defense that was ranked 27th I think. We can only fix one of those our defense.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Don't know how simple it would be. Don't know what size of burr is up Watson's hole. Seems to me Houston, who has not been a bad franchise until quite recently, has recognized they have problems and started making big changes to correct it. Who knows if it will work but they are trying it seems. If he is the elite savior he is made out to be, they will do anything reasonable to make him happy. If that can't be done, perhaps Watson is unreasonable? Perhaps they don't think he is really worth doing whatever it takes to make him happy? If they trade a truly elite, franchise changing QB, that says something. Either he isn't a truly elite, franchise changing QB or he isn't worth it for some other reason.
Why would you limit the reasons to two?

Here's another. He doesn't report. He takes the LeVeon Bell route. Bell got his trade. Why? Because Pittsburgh knew he wasn't going to play for them, and they wanted to get something in return. With Watson, they know they can get at least 3 first-round picks. If he's not going to report, why not get the picks? I mean, your team just went 4-12. It can't get much worse. Perfect time to rebuild.

That's one reason. I can think of others. Point being, there are more than two.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Here's another. He doesn't report. He takes the LeVeon Bell route. Bell got his trade. Why? Because Pittsburgh knew he wasn't going to play for them, and they wanted to get something in return. With Watson, they know they can get at least 3 first-round picks. If he's not going to report, why not get the picks? I mean, your team just went 4-12. It can't get much worse. Perfect time to rebuild.

So reason #3 is he is a malcontent who won't live up to the multi-million dollar contract he signed because his team is not good this year. Because at 25 he knows best how to run an NFL franchise. So a malcontent who has won one playoff game and will demand a record breaking salary and wreck, whoever makes that mistake, their next 3 drafts. Do it Mr. Spielman. I Triple Dog Dare you. I know, that was a slight breach of etiquette.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:05 pm

So reason #3 is he is a malcontent who won't live up to the multi-million dollar contract he signed because his team is not good this year. Because at 25 he knows best how to run an NFL franchise. So a malcontent who has won one playoff game and will demand a record breaking salary and wreck, whoever makes that mistake, their next 3 drafts. Do it Mr. Spielman. I Triple Dog Dare you. I know, that was a slight breach of etiquette.
Or, there is the possibility that the franchise has been in the toilet far longer than just this last season. And a better chance that those guys actually in the locker room know how bad it was/is more than casual football fans.

Looks at past players comments about the team. Andre Johnson. DeAndre Hopkins. Watson wants out. Now Watt wants out. This appears to be a much bigger issue internally than we know.

Add in the fact that by all accounts, Watson is a great football player and a far better person. He's polite and soft-spoken. He donates money all over the place. Has taken care of fellow Texans employees since his rookie year. An all around great guy from everything we know. So to play it like he's just some spoiled athlete and wants out just to play with a better team and win more football games seems a bit disingenuous to me.
i'm ready for a beer.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:14 pm
Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Or, there is the possibility that the franchise has been in the toilet far longer than just this last season. And a better chance that those guys actually in the locker room know how bad it was/is more than casual football fans.

Looks at past players comments about the team. Andre Johnson. DeAndre Hopkins. Watson wants out. Now Watt wants out. This appears to be a much bigger issue internally than we know.

Add in the fact that by all accounts, Watson is a great football player and a far better person. He's polite and soft-spoken. He donates money all over the place. Has taken care of fellow Texans employees since his rookie year. An all around great guy from everything we know. So to play it like he's just some spoiled athlete and wants out just to play with a better team and win more football games seems a bit disingenuous to me.
I suppose either or both could be true. All this is speculation. Being a great guy, which is not in dispute, doesn't necessarily factor. Either way, no player is worth that kind of capital.