Next OC for the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Next OC for the Vikings? who do you want, not who do you think.

Klint Kubiak
71%
Anthony Lynn
No votes
Hue Jackson
7%
Rick Dennison
No votes
Other
21%

Total votes: 14

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Next OC for the Vikings?

Post by VikingPaul73 »

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Next OC for the Vikings?

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I voted other which is Gase so that way, we can stop complaining about offensive coordinators leaving each year
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

One thing we can count on. It will be a retread.

Zimmer tried one of the shiny new offensive minds in JDF. No way he goes that route again.

If I had to guess, he'll hire Hue Jackson, Klint Kubiak or Rick Dennison.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

With this lame duck coach.. it's gotta be Klint Kubiak. I'd rather just start from scratch and hire an offensive head coach but I guess that will have to wait at least another year. Maybe Klint can be the next Kyle Shanahan? A guy can dream.

Anyways, it's just becoming blatantly obvious the the NFL is turning into the NBA. Defense doesn't appear to win anymore. It's all about finding a franchise QB and then it's an arms race to provide him with the most all pro caliber skill players. It's always been like that to an extent but today with all the rules that benefit offense it's totally skewed in that direction. You used to be able to win with elite defense and average or subpar offense. Sure doesn't seem like that would ever win it all today. Which means defensive head coaches are dinosaurs. The game is poorer for all the offense. Fantasy Football kind of ruined the game imo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm With this lame duck coach.. it's gotta be Klint Kubiak. I'd rather just start from scratch and hire an offensive head coach but I guess that will have to wait at least another year. Maybe Klint can be the next Kyle Shanahan? A guy can dream.

Anyways, it's just becoming blatantly obvious the the NFL is turning into the NBA. Defense doesn't appear to win anymore. It's all about finding a franchise QB and then it's an arms race to provide him with the most all pro caliber skill players. It's always been like that to an extent but today with all the rules that benefit offense it's totally skewed in that direction. You used to be able to win with elite defense and average or subpar offense. Sure doesn't seem like that would ever win it all today. Which means defensive head coaches are dinosaurs. The game is poorer for all the offense. Fantasy Football kind of ruined the game imo.
I think it is going to be Klint at this point as well, something I would be okay with if it didn't mean more of Rick Dennison "coaching" our Oline.
DiehardVF1
Waterboy

Post by DiehardVF1 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm With this lame duck coach.. it's gotta be Klint Kubiak. I'd rather just start from scratch and hire an offensive head coach but I guess that will have to wait at least another year. Maybe Klint can be the next Kyle Shanahan? A guy can dream.

No it is not obvious that defense doesn't win games. Tampa Bay is in the super bowl because of defense, they did not have that great of an offensive game but the D saved the day with turn overs.

It makes no diffence who the OC is as long as we have Zimmer and Cousins we are doomed.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

DiehardVF1 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 am

No it is not obvious that defense doesn't win games. Tampa Bay is in the super bowl because of defense, they did not have that great of an offensive game but the D saved the day with turn overs.

It makes no diffence who the OC is as long as we have Zimmer and Cousins we are doomed.
I was more so referring to the days when Tampa lost to the Rams 11-6 in the NFC championship. That Rams team had 5 HOF caliber players on offense and were held to 11. Today they'd never get held to 11. They about killed Warner and those wideouts that game. Today half the Bucs defense would have been ejected and heavily penalized. The Bucs still gave up 26 to GB. So yeah, if holding someone to 26 means defense wins then by all means let's continue the defense wins championships motto. To me it means you have to score at least 30 if you want to win so it's an offensive game now.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 am
DiehardVF1 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 am

I was more so referring to the days when Tampa lost to the Rams 11-6 in the NFC championship. That Rams team had 5 HOF caliber players on offense and were held to 11. Today they'd never get held to 11. They about killed Warner and those wideouts that game. Today half the Bucs defense would have been ejected and heavily penalized. The Bucs still gave up 26 to GB. So yeah, if holding someone to 26 means defense wins then by all means let's continue the defense wins championships motto. To me it means you have to score at least 30 if you want to win so it's an offensive game now.
Every team left in the final 4 had at least an average defense so defense does matter, it is just that offense matters more. There were cases where a defense can win a SB like you saw in 2015, but rule changes since even then probably keep that Denver team out of the SB if they played today.

It appears the NFL has evolved into one where the team with hardest offense to stop is the team that wins it all. Or in other words the team with the best QB wins it all.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Vikings to interview Tyke Tolbert, the Giants WR Coach as OC.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:24 am Vikings to interview Tyke Tolbert, the Giants WR Coach as OC.
Been coaching since 2003. Not sure what he would bring to the table.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:42 am
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:24 am Vikings to interview Tyke Tolbert, the Giants WR Coach as OC.
Been coaching since 2003. Not sure what he would bring to the table.
I would take him over Klint
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here’s a possibility I’ve been wondering about.

Eric Bieniemy.

Yes, he’s already an OC on a Super Bowl team. And yes, he’s considered a potential HC hire. But what if that sentiment is coming from the media? After all, Bieniemy not only hasn’t been offered a HC position, but he also hasn’t had hardly any interviews.

Begs the question ... why?

Could it be that NFL front offices see Bieniemy as little more than a figurehead as an OC? That Andy Reid is the real OC, and Bieniemy carries an empty title? Why else would such a hot commodity receive so little interest? If so, then Bieniemy might want to make a break from the Chiefs.

Not only that, we’re into February, and the Vikings don’t yet have an OC. The last time the Vikings went this long, they ended up with John Defilippo ... who had to finish coaching in the Super Bowl before becoming available, just like Bieniemy.

I mean, if they’re not waiting for Bieniemy, then what are they waiting for?

Also, while the assumption has been that Klint Kubiak is the obvious choice, Mike Zimmer has said recently that he’s also looking outside the organization. Of course, Zimmer is always tossing out red herrings, so it’s hard to tell.

Finally, Bieniemy has ties to the Vikings, having been the RB coach for AP.

What do y’all think? Could the Vikings be planning to make a play for Eric Bieniemy?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:44 pm Here’s a possibility I’ve been wondering about.

Eric Bieniemy.

Yes, he’s already an OC on a Super Bowl team. And yes, he’s considered a potential HC hire. But what if that sentiment is coming from the media? After all, Bieniemy not only hasn’t been offered a HC position, but he also hasn’t had hardly any interviews.

Could it be that NFL front offices see Bieniemy as little more than a figurehead as an OC? That Andy Reid is the real OC, and Bieniemy carries an empty title? Why else would such a hot commodity receive so little interest? If so, then Bieniemy might want to make a break from the Chiefs.

Not only that, we’re into February, and the Vikings don’t yet have an OC. The last time the Vikings went this long, they ended up with John Defilippo ... who had to finish coaching in the Super Bowl before becoming available, just like Bieniemy.

Also, while the assumption has been that Klint Kubiak is the obvious choice, Mike Zimmer has said recently that he’s also looking outside the organization. Of course, Zimmer is always tossing out red herrings, so it’s hard to tell.

What do y’all think? Could the Vikings be planning to make a play for Eric Bieniemy?
Being a good OC for Zimmer has been a stepping stone to getting a HCing job, so it isnt inconceivable. I just dont know if I want another one and done OC, and if Bieniemy does a good job, that is likely what he will be.

Unless you are thinking it is the Vikings who offer him that HCing job after just one year as OC?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:44 pm Here’s a possibility I’ve been wondering about.

Eric Bieniemy.

Being a good OC for Zimmer has been a stepping stone to getting a HCing job, so it isnt inconceivable. I just dont know if I want another one and done OC, and if Bieniemy does a good job, that is likely what he will be.

Unless you are thinking it is the Vikings who offer him that HCing job after just one year as OC?
Don't really know.

I just know the Vikings haven't hired anybody yet. Typically if somebody they wanted was available, they already would have pulled the trigger. Makes me think Klint Kubiak isn't their choice, despite all the speculation, and if not Kubiak, then who? More accurately, who are they waiting for?

That's when I thought about Bieniemy's situation. From everything I've ever read about the guy, he's a great coach who has as good a chance of being a solid HC as anyone out there. Yet he's not getting interviews, even with the Rooney Rule. That's when I got to thinking that maybe being in Andy Reid's shadow might be hurting his prospects, even though I'm sure he's learned a lot.

IDK man. I could just be wishing upon a star here. It's obvious the Vikings aren't going to move on from Zimmer anytime soon, so I want the best possible OC we can get. Otherwise it turns into a Norv or Flip situation, where the HC is focused solely on defense, and the offense is coached poorly.

I've been on record as wanting Bieniemy as our head coach. I'd surely take him as our OC, even if it meant one-and-done.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eric Bieniemy.

I was scratching my head about Bieniemy too but I think it's character concerns. The guy has a lot of skeletons in the closet. Granted nothing recent that I'm aware of but there's incidents that span about two decades all the way back to CU.