Cousins Trade Rumors

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Cousins Trade Rumors

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Some Cousins trade rumors have started again regarding the 49ers. The rumors are stating that the 49ers are interested in Cousins if the Vikings are willing to talk. I for one would be interested in a deal similar to what Detroit just made....getting draft picks and then trying to trade draft picks to get Deshaun Watson.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Cousins Trade Rumors

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just read the same.
NFL insider Evan Massey reported Monday that the 49ers are looking to make a move at quarterback. At the top of their list is Minnesota Vikings veteran Kirk Cousins.

“#49ers still looking to make a move at QB. Kirk Cousins, I’m told, is a name to keep an eye on,” Massey said. “If #Vikings are open to dealing, San Francisco will push hard to acquire him. Ties with [coach Kyle Shanahan] make this an intriguing potential fit.”
All I can say is, “Please, football gods, don’t tease us.”

We all know that Deshaun Watson is available. If the Vikings could somehow unload Cousins on the Niners, what would you be willing to give up for Watson?

I’ll start the bidding at first-rounders in 2021 and 2022, a second-rounder in 2023, and a third this year. Knowing that it’s not likely that Houston would take this offer, I’d be willing to up the ante, but that’s where I’d start.

What say you all?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maybe if they send Jimmy elsewhere. He has a lot of dead money in his contract making him a slightly cheaper but less talented QB compared to Cousins. I think both are poor fits for our offensive strengths. The only real reason I would trade Cousins is to get out of cap hell, Garoppolo doesn't really help us there very much. I guess if they threw in a couple 1sts like the Stafford trade but I don't see that happening.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:32 pm Just read the same.
NFL insider Evan Massey reported Monday that the 49ers are looking to make a move at quarterback. At the top of their list is Minnesota Vikings veteran Kirk Cousins.

“#49ers still looking to make a move at QB. Kirk Cousins, I’m told, is a name to keep an eye on,” Massey said. “If #Vikings are open to dealing, San Francisco will push hard to acquire him. Ties with [coach Kyle Shanahan] make this an intriguing potential fit.”

We all know that Deshaun Watson is available. If the Vikings could somehow unload Cousins on the Niners, what would you be willing to give up for Watson?

I’ll start the bidding at first-rounders in 2021 and 2022, a second-rounder in 2023, and a third this year. Knowing that it’s not likely that Houston would take this offer, I’d be willing to up the ante, but that’s where I’d start.

What say you all?
The Jets just have too much to give up for Watson this season for us to match them unless we are willing to part with Hunter, and even that might not be enough.

Now, if Hunter really is looking for a big pay raise I say go for it, spending that much on a non-QB makes it so I can stomach 2 1sts and Hunter for Watson.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 pm Maybe if they send Jimmy elsewhere. He has a lot of dead money in his contract making him a slightly cheaper but less talented QB compared to Cousins. I think both are poor fits for our offensive strengths. The only real reason I would trade Cousins is to get out of cap hell, Garoppolo doesn't really help us there very much. I guess if they threw in a couple 1sts like the Stafford trade but I don't see that happening.
Jimmy G would make a nice bridge QB but nothing more. He is a competent QB who doesn't typically lose you games, same as Cousins, only he is much more fragile than Cousins and doesn't have the arm Cousins' has.

If he could stay healthy I could see him being okay with JJ and Thielen to throw too with Cook carrying a big load again this next year.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Hopefully they don't offer up all of their 6th rounders for the next 5 years. That'll be too good for Rick to pass up.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:01 pm Hopefully they don't offer up all of their 6th rounders for the next 5 years. That'll be too good for Rick to pass up.
I think you accidentally put a "don't" in there you didn't mean to.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm

What say you all?
The Jets just have too much to give up for Watson this season for us to match them unless we are willing to part with Hunter, and even that might not be enough.

Now, if Hunter really is looking for a big pay raise I say go for it, spending that much on a non-QB makes it so I can stomach 2 1sts and Hunter for Watson.
Interesting how you phrase this: “... so I can stomach 2 1sts and Hunter for Watson.”

Deshaun Watson is a top-5 QB in this league, IMO. Those types of guys NEVER come available under any circumstance, not even by trade. If I’m the Vikings, and if I’m serious about contending for a SB, then I do more than “stomach” a deal like this. I do whatever it takes. Put Deshaun Watson on the Vikings, at 25 years old, and this team becomes like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers for the next 12 years.

I would rather have Deshaun Watson than Trevor Lawrence, even though Lawrence is probably the best QB prospect to come out of college since Andrew Luck. The reason is simple. Watson is proven in the NFL. Lawrence is not. Lawrence could still bust.

By the way, to heck with Jimmy Garoppolo. He has no guaranteed money in 2021, therefore no incentive for the Vikings to assign any value to him in a trade. If Shanahan wants his boy Cousins, then he needs to pony up some draft picks. You don’t dump Cousins so you can replace him with Jimmy G. You dump Cousins so you can get better at QB.

The only available QB who makes us better is Deshaun Watson.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Interesting how you phrase this: “... so I can stomach 2 1sts and Hunter for Watson.”

Deshaun Watson is a top-5 QB in this league, IMO. Those types of guys NEVER come available under any circumstance, not even by trade. If I’m the Vikings, and if I’m serious about contending for a SB, then I do more than “stomach” a deal like this. I do whatever it takes. Put Deshaun Watson on the Vikings, at 25 years old, and this team becomes like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers for the next 12 years.

I would rather have Deshaun Watson than Trevor Lawrence, even though Lawrence is probably the best QB prospect to come out of college since Andrew Luck. The reason is simple. Watson is proven in the NFL. Lawrence is not. Lawrence could still bust.

By the way, to heck with Jimmy Garoppolo. He has no guaranteed money in 2021, therefore no incentive for the Vikings to assign any value to him in a trade. If Shanahan wants his boy Cousins, then he needs to pony up some draft picks. You don’t dump Cousins so you can replace him with Jimmy G. You dump Cousins so you can get better at QB.

The only available QB who makes us better is Deshaun Watson.
You are absolutely right about Watson and I was thinking like a homer with Hunter and not wanting to part ways with him. Watson makes us better than Hunter does and two firsts and Hunter are worth upgrading the most important position in sports. I stand corrected.

I do disagree with your take on why you dump Cousins. Dumping him saves us a ton of cap to help rebuild a team that isn't good enough to compete for a SB. 45 million over 2 years and Case Keenum or Marcus Mariota or some other retread FA QB + a rookie QB makes this team better than Cousins does. If the Vikings can get a 1st out of the 9ers for him great, but I would be willing to give up a 3rd just to dump his contract.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Just popping in to say I think a trade between the Texans, Vikings, and 49ers would look like this in a reasonable scenario:

Vikings Get:

- Deshaun Watson

49ers Get:

- Kirk Cousins

Texans Get:

- Jimmy G
- 1st RDP (Vikings)
- 1st RDP (49ers)
- 7th RDP (49ers)
- 7th RDP (Vikings)
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:19 pm Just popping in to say I think a trade between the Texans, Vikings, and 49ers would look like this in a reasonable scenario:

Vikings Get:

- Deshaun Watson

49ers Get:

- Kirk Cousins

Texans Get:

- Jimmy G
- 1st RDP (Vikings)
- 1st RDP (49ers)
- 7th RDP (49ers)
- 7th RDP (Vikings)
When is the last time 3 teams made a trade?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:11 pm Some Cousins trade rumors have started again regarding the 49ers. The rumors are stating that the 49ers are interested in Cousins if the Vikings are willing to talk. I for one would be interested in a deal similar to what Detroit just made....getting draft picks and then trying to trade draft picks to get Deshaun Watson.
I really don't think Cousins is going anywhere, mostly because Cousins isn't the problem. He's not what is holding back the Vikings. If he were, Spielman wouldn't have extended him in the first place.

Whatever incremental improvement might come from a guy like Watson will be more than offset by the cost of obtaining that improvement, which, because the QB play isn't the main problem, isn't going to materially change the fortunes of the Vikings any time soon anyway.

The Vikings need to fix their interior OL, their defensive line, and their DBs. That is going to go a lot farther towards getting them to the promised land of a Superbowl than blowing a huge chunk of draft capital to acquire yet another single player savior.

Haven't we seen enough proof over the years that those kinds of moves just don't work?

If the Vikings really want to get a franchise QB, how about do their homework in this upcoming draft? There are two guys who might slide a bit for various reasons who I think have a good chance of developing into outstanding pro QBs. One is Kyle Trask and the other is Jamie Newman. Both have some question marks, but either or both could be a longer-term answer at QB and both will come with reasonable initial cost, can sit and learn for a while while, and IMHO are as likely to pay dividends in the future where it matters as any QB the Vikings could get trading Cousins.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:19 pm Just popping in to say I think a trade between the Texans, Vikings, and 49ers would look like this in a reasonable scenario:

Vikings Get:

- Deshaun Watson

49ers Get:

- Kirk Cousins

Texans Get:

- Jimmy G
- 1st RDP (Vikings)
- 1st RDP (49ers)
- 7th RDP (49ers)
- 7th RDP (Vikings)
When is the last time 3 teams made a trade?
2017, Eagles/Buffalo/Rams
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

What say you all?
Only thing that comes to my mind with this is Hershel Walker
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:11 pm Some Cousins trade rumors have started again regarding the 49ers. The rumors are stating that the 49ers are interested in Cousins if the Vikings are willing to talk. I for one would be interested in a deal similar to what Detroit just made....getting draft picks and then trying to trade draft picks to get Deshaun Watson.
I really don't think Cousins is going anywhere, mostly because Cousins isn't the problem. He's not what is holding back the Vikings. If he were, Spielman wouldn't have extended him in the first place.

Whatever incremental improvement might come from a guy like Watson will be more than offset by the cost of obtaining that improvement, which, because the QB play isn't the main problem, isn't going to materially change the fortunes of the Vikings any time soon anyway.

The Vikings need to fix their interior OL, their defensive line, and their DBs. That is going to go a lot farther towards getting them to the promised land of a Superbowl than blowing a huge chunk of draft capital to acquire yet another single player savior.

Haven't we seen enough proof over the years that those kinds of moves just don't work?

If the Vikings really want to get a franchise QB, how about do their homework in this upcoming draft? There are two guys who might slide a bit for various reasons who I think have a good chance of developing into outstanding pro QBs. One is Kyle Trask and the other is Jamie Newman. Both have some question marks, but either or both could be a longer-term answer at QB and both will come with reasonable initial cost, can sit and learn for a while while, and IMHO are as likely to pay dividends in the future where it matters as any QB the Vikings could get trading Cousins.
Your assumption is that Speilman would know how to identify the problem on this team and solve it.