Never gets old watching the Packers lose.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Never gets old watching the Packers lose.

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:47 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:29 am
I know you didn't ask me, but ...

For me it's the bandwagon fan thing. I actually live closer to KC than I do to Minneapolis. Where I live, you never knew there was a single Chiefs fan for years. Then in 2018, all of a sudden you started seeing all of these red Chiefs sweatshirts and #15 jerseys. All of them brand-new, of course. I wore my Vikings purple all the time, even in the abyss of 3-13 in 2011. I know people who never paid any attention to football who are wearing Chiefs garb right now.

Mahomes is cool, so it's cool to be a Chiefs fan.

It's nothing the team has done. It's the sudden bandwagon fans who will abandon the team like rats off a sinking ship once they come back to earth.
The only time I experienced this was during the '98 season. It was like, wow where did all these Vikings fans come from?

My brother has been a Chiefs fan since he was a little kid. We've been to Arrowhead multiple times including last year's Vikings/Chiefs game. I've had nothing but good experiences with their fans, complete strangers have invited us into their tailgate tents and nothing ever rose above all in good fun trash talk. Maybe a different experience if you're a Raiders fan...

I hope the Chiefs win it, everyone is gushing over Brady but he made some really bad throws against the Packers, it was the defense that really stepped up.
I'm guessing Chiefs fans are great. At least the real ones. I've been to a few Royals games, and they're always good to us at Kaufman Stadium.

I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Lotta fans of all Midwest teams around here. I have to put up with Packer and Bear fans, which always makes me crazy. As for the Chiefs fans, I can only speak to the ones who live near me. Never heard from them until pretty much last year. Now everybody wears red.

Or, I could just be jealous. One damn trophy before I die. Is that really too much to ask?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 pm

The only time I experienced this was during the '98 season. It was like, wow where did all these Vikings fans come from?

My brother has been a Chiefs fan since he was a little kid. We've been to Arrowhead multiple times including last year's Vikings/Chiefs game. I've had nothing but good experiences with their fans, complete strangers have invited us into their tailgate tents and nothing ever rose above all in good fun trash talk. Maybe a different experience if you're a Raiders fan...

I hope the Chiefs win it, everyone is gushing over Brady but he made some really bad throws against the Packers, it was the defense that really stepped up.
I'm guessing Chiefs fans are great. At least the real ones. I've been to a few Royals games, and they're always good to us at Kaufman Stadium.

I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Lotta fans of all Midwest teams around here. I have to put up with Packer and Bear fans, which always makes me crazy. As for the Chiefs fans, I can only speak to the ones who live near me. Never heard from them until pretty much last year. Now everybody wears red.

Or, I could just be jealous. One damn trophy before I die. Is that really too much to ask?
I'm probably much younger and I am starting to doubt it will happen for me.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 pm

I'm probably much younger and I am starting to doubt it will happen for me.
Kapp and I are close to the same age , so we both have had to suffer this pain for so long. Just jump between us brother and sit on the Train to Lombardi Trophyville.... that always seems to stop at the station right before. Right there in Loserville.
ALLLLLLL ABOARD!!!!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:29 am
I know you didn't ask me, but ...

For me it's the bandwagon fan thing. I actually live closer to KC than I do to Minneapolis. Where I live, you never knew there was a single Chiefs fan for years. Then in 2018, all of a sudden you started seeing all of these red Chiefs sweatshirts and #15 jerseys. All of them brand-new, of course. I wore my Vikings purple all the time, even in the abyss of 3-13 in 2011. I know people who never paid any attention to football who are wearing Chiefs garb right now.

Mahomes is cool, so it's cool to be a Chiefs fan.

It's nothing the team has done. It's the sudden bandwagon fans who will abandon the team like rats off a sinking ship once they come back to earth.

Y'know, I just noticed your last sentence. You couldn't be more right.

I mean, the GOAT threw three picks in the second half on the road and still won. Don't tell me Brady won that game. The Packers blew it.

And that late TD by Tampa in the first half ... what the heck was Green Bay doing? Playing Cover-3 with single coverage on the fastest guy on Tampa Bay? With 8 seconds left? Against Tom Brady? Did Mike Pettine really think Brady wouldn't find the guy in single coverage?

Forget the curious call by Matt LaFleur to kick a field goal late in the game. That honestly was very unlikely to have made a difference in the outcome. The Pukers lost that game when they couldn't turn Brady's turnovers into points, and when they gave up a gift TD at the end of the first half.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Weird to see people talk about the Bucs winning because of their defense when they gave up 26 points and Rodgers threw for 350 yards, 3 TDs and only one pick.

By the numbers the Packers actually had the better game defensively and the difference in this game was more about which team shot themselves in the foot less. 3 straight passes to Adams in the RZ when Scantling was wide open underneath for a TD on at least one of those throws cost the Pack 4 points. Letting a defender get behind you when you know they are taking a shot at the end zone at the end of the half gave the Bucs 7. That fumble that put Bucs on the 6 gave the Bucs 7. Brady threw a pick when his team was in FG range that ended up costing the Bucs three, but in the end that wasn't enough to overcome the self inflicted damage the Packers caused to themselves.

The Pack and Bucs were two evenly matched teams and in the end the Bucs just messed up less than the Packers and won because of it.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am

Y'know, I just noticed your last sentence. You couldn't be more right.

I mean, the GOAT threw three picks in the second half on the road and still won. Don't tell me Brady won that game. The Packers blew it.

And that late TD by Tampa in the first half ... what the heck was Green Bay doing? Playing Cover-3 with single coverage on the fastest guy on Tampa Bay? With 8 seconds left? Against Tom Brady? Did Mike Pettine really think Brady wouldn't find the guy in single coverage?

Forget the curious call by Matt LaFleur to kick a field goal late in the game. That honestly was very unlikely to have made a difference in the outcome. The Pukers lost that game when they couldn't turn Brady's turnovers into points, and when they gave up a gift TD at the end of the first half.
The one that cost them 3 hurt but the other two were like punts. I'm almost wondering if he threw it up for grabs on purpose. A catch, PI, or at worst, a short punt.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:10 am Weird to see people talk about the Bucs winning because of their defense when they gave up 26 points and Rodgers threw for 350 yards, 3 TDs and only one pick.

By the numbers the Packers actually had the better game defensively and the difference in this game was more about which team shot themselves in the foot less. 3 straight passes to Adams in the RZ when Scantling was wide open underneath for a TD on at least one of those throws cost the Pack 4 points. Letting a defender get behind you when you know they are taking a shot at the end zone at the end of the half gave the Bucs 7. That fumble that put Bucs on the 6 gave the Bucs 7. Brady threw a pick when his team was in FG range that ended up costing the Bucs three, but in the end that wasn't enough to overcome the self inflicted damage the Packers caused to themselves.

The Pack and Bucs were two evenly matched teams and in the end the Bucs just messed up less than the Packers and won because of it.
Part of it is Brady turned it over 3 times and the Packers only came away with 6 points. That's credit to the defense. I'm not saying the Bucs defense was amazing but they stepped up in big parts of that game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am I mean, the GOAT threw three picks in the second half on the road and still won. Don't tell me Brady won that game. The Packers blew it.
I won't tell you Brady won the game, but I will tell you the way Brady played won it.

By that I mean Brady tried to take the top off the Packer defense all game. Yes, he paid for it with some picks, but he wasn't conservative. Once he knew his OL was going to keep him clean for the most part, Brady repeatedly went downfield on the Packers, victimizing their DBs all day, which in turn cooled off any plans the Packer defense might have had to get more aggressive on the rush. Brady literally took what the Packers gave him all day. That bomb for the TD to end the 1st half after the Packer turnover was what teams that play to win do. I could not see Zimmer dialing up even that attempt in that situation much less Cousins pulling the trigger on it if it were dialed up. The Vikings would have played for the FG there and probably been content to run out the half with the lead.

That is the difference between teams like the Bucs and players like Brady as compared to teams like the Vikings and players like Cousins. One understands he has nothing to lose until he's won, while the other believes he has something to lose that he hasn't yet won. Totally different mindsets with totally different, but completely predictable, outcomes.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Arrowhead had to have been close to 40% Vikings fans that day. It was amazing, even the Chiefs fans around me said they'd never see anything like it. I noticed a lot of couples split (one wearing a red jersey, one a purple). I assume in big part due to adjacent states like Iowa where there are fans from many teams. Probably similar to MN/GB but a little more amplified as people have to wait 4-years before they play one another.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:01 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am I mean, the GOAT threw three picks in the second half on the road and still won. Don't tell me Brady won that game. The Packers blew it.
I won't tell you Brady won the game, but I will tell you the way Brady played won it.

By that I mean Brady tried to take the top off the Packer defense all game. Yes, he paid for it with some picks, but he wasn't conservative. Once he knew his OL was going to keep him clean for the most part, Brady repeatedly went downfield on the Packers, victimizing their DBs all day, which in turn cooled off any plans the Packer defense might have had to get more aggressive on the rush. Brady literally took what the Packers gave him all day. That bomb for the TD to end the 1st half after the Packer turnover was what teams that play to win do. I could not see Zimmer dialing up even that attempt in that situation much less Cousins pulling the trigger on it if it were dialed up. The Vikings would have played for the FG there and probably been content to run out the half with the lead.

That is the difference between teams like the Bucs and players like Brady as compared to teams like the Vikings and players like Cousins. One understands he has nothing to lose until he's won, while the other believes he has something to lose that he hasn't yet won. Totally different mindsets with totally different, but completely predictable, outcomes.
Really well put. I was thinking that same exact thing about both the Bucs and the Chiefs these past few weeks. When Mahomes went out with the concussion a couple of weeks ago, and Reid chose to go for it on 4th and 2 and let his backup QB make a read and seal the game... I just thought how Zimmer would NEVER do that. You have to have a solid pair of cojones to win it all. Zimmer's too tight, just as Cousins is.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:01 pm
Interesting. I saw his play in the second half as reckless. But that's what makes talking about sports so great.
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:01 pm By that I mean Brady tried to take the top off the Packer defense all game. Yes, he paid for it with some picks, but he wasn't conservative. Once he knew his OL was going to keep him clean for the most part, Brady repeatedly went downfield on the Packers, victimizing their DBs all day, which in turn cooled off any plans the Packer defense might have had to get more aggressive on the rush. Brady literally took what the Packers gave him all day. That bomb for the TD to end the 1st half after the Packer turnover was what teams that play to win do. I could not see Zimmer dialing up even that attempt in that situation much less Cousins pulling the trigger on it if it were dialed up. The Vikings would have played for the FG there and probably been content to run out the half with the lead.
But to me, all of this — from trying to take the top off the defense to the play at the end of the first half — was less Brady and more Arians. That's the way he operates. No risk it, no biscuit. He coined that phrase. That's Arians' MO, not Brady's. And Tampa has the weapons at receiver to do it. The fact that the Packers played Cover 3 with single high safety in that situation was absolutely inexcusable. Cousins totally would have made that play because it was easy, and it was thrown from a pristine pocket.

I'm not a Zimmer acolyte by any means, but I wonder about your comment there. Against the Lions, we scored a 40-yard TD pass on the final play of the half. Obviously a week-17 game between the two NFC North bottom-feeders carries far less weight than the NFC Championship game, but Zimmer still went for the TD. My problem with Zimmer this year was that he overcorrected his conservative ways. He went for it TOO OFTEN on things like 4th-and-short, and the Vikings failed more often than they made it. If he kicks a field goal against Seattle, the Vikings likely make the playoffs.
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:01 pmThat is the difference between teams like the Bucs and players like Brady as compared to teams like the Vikings and players like Cousins. One understands he has nothing to lose until he's won, while the other believes he has something to lose that he hasn't yet won. Totally different mindsets with totally different, but completely predictable, outcomes.
How many quarterbacks have Brady's track record? He's got tons of positive experience to lean on. And we're going to compare Kirk Cousins to a guy who is going to his 10th Super Bowl? That's hardly fair. Cousins has played in Washington, which was dysfunctional, and in Minnesota, which is coached by a guy who has no idea what to do in tight situations. Zimmer could never, ever dial up a play like Andy Reid dialed up with Chad Henne on 4th and 2. Forget whether Zimmer would have had the stones to go for it in the first place. If he'd have gone for it, he would have run the ball up the middle and gotten stuffed, like he always does.

I just don't think that Tom Brady won that game for the Bucs. Their defense did, along with the Packers' ineptitude. Two first-and-goal situations for Green Bay in the fourth, and they targeted Davonte Adams 6 times while targeting no one else. When have you ever seen Aaron Rodgers lock in on one receiver? It was ridiculous. With Tom Brady throwing 3 second-half picks, Green Bay should have rolled them. But their offense and their coach crapped the bed when it mattered.

All this being said ... unless the injuries along the Chiefs' offensive line pave the way for the Bucs to get tons of pressure on Mahomes, the Chiefs are going to destroy Tampa Bay. Too many weapons, and a defense that is playing amazing football.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I don’t know how many are familiar with Mackey and Judd on Skor North but they do a humorous segment whenever the Pack loses. They play sound bites of disgruntled Packers fans calling into a Green Bay post game show and the rants are hilarious. I encourage anyone who hasn’t seen that segment to look it up on YouTube. It is one of the bright spots in a bad Vikings year to listen to despondent Packers fans.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm I'm not a Zimmer acolyte by any means, but I wonder about your comment there. Against the Lions, we scored a 40-yard TD pass on the final play of the half. Obviously a week-17 game between the two NFC North bottom-feeders carries far less weight than the NFC Championship game, but Zimmer still went for the TD. My problem with Zimmer this year was that he overcorrected his conservative ways. He went for it TOO OFTEN on things like 4th-and-short, and the Vikings failed more often than they made it. If he kicks a field goal against Seattle, the Vikings likely make the playoffs.
Zimmer did call some "aggressive" plays this last year, although one could argue they were more pragmatic than aggressive. Statistically, when he went for it on 4th-and-short, the benefits of those decisions outweighed the risks. That they didn't convert on them doesn't mean they were "risk it"-type calls per se. Poor execution in those situations, yes, but not really of the same nature as going for a TD with seconds left in the half on the road when you're already in the lead.

Despite what you're saying, I still can't see either Zimmer or Cousins doing what Arians and Brady did in that situation. Not in a meaningless late season game between bottom feeders, but in high-stakes championship game with a Superbowl appearance on the line.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm All this being said ... unless the injuries along the Chiefs' offensive line pave the way for the Bucs to get tons of pressure on Mahomes, the Chiefs are going to destroy Tampa Bay. Too many weapons, and a defense that is playing amazing football.
That is possible I suppose, but I'll be looking for two things early that should be telling as to the likely outcome:

- Can the Bucs keep Brady mostly clean in the pocket? If so, KC might be in trouble.
- Can the Bucs get pressure on Mahomes? Remember, Mahomes is recently recovered from a concussion. If the Bucs can get pressure on him and get him on the ground a few times, that could spell trouble for KC.

I think this will be a close Superbowl. Both defenses are good, and I think both offenses will be limited. I'm predicting a tight, fairly low-scoring Superbowl. Either team could win it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:10 am Weird to see people talk about the Bucs winning because of their defense when they gave up 26 points and Rodgers threw for 350 yards, 3 TDs and only one pick.

The 5 sacks on Rodgers had nothing to do with it? You act as if Rodgers hardly ever puts up 26 points. That's not a great game for him. The Pack were at home. The Buc D and old man Brady beat them. You get after that old stick in the mud QB. The Bucs beat them during the regular season also 38-10. That was at the Bucs house. That's not evenly matched teams. The Bucs D is better than what you give them credit for. I've seen plenty of warm weather teams fold in the cold north. They didn't fold and got after Rodgers big time. I give Brady credit. You don't know how hard it is the hit the road and win a big game.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:56 pm Brady did a heck of a job and I give him a ton of credit. Getting to the Super Bowl from the wild card spot is extremely difficult also. Bucs D needs a thumbs up for this one to. Brady might get the MVP at 43 years old. I don't see how he can't.
I have always liked Brady, if he wins 7 Superbowl rings, that is very impressive, I hope Brady will win another one since I can not stand Mahomes and the Chiefs
The best part is we won't be hearing about the Patriot way anytime soon. That was a media creation and even Bellicheck believed it. We saw the Patriot way this season. Not to good. It was always the Brady way and he took that to the Bucs.