A quite alarming read regarding the OL and Zim

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: A quite alarming read regarding the OL and Zim

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:55 pm Here we go again.

Let's do the math here.

Some guy nobody has heard of, a barely 30-year-old writer for media giant Vikings Territory, somehow has access to a "former NFL O-lineman."

He then instructs this "lineman" to analyze tape and report his findings. Why? Well obviously because he's such a powerful and influential journalist.

Then he uses this "lineman's" comments to rip the Vikings, thus supporting the unique and brilliant thesis that the Vikings offensive line has problems. Wow. I had no idea. Did you?

Can you guys not see how this strains credibility to the the point of ripping at the seams?

I was thinking ... you know what would really help? NAMING THE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN.

When you name your source, you pick up this little thing called credibility. People can check your facts. Journalists with access can contact the source and ask, "Hey man, did you actually say those things?" And people like me don't wonder, "Is the source unnamed, or is he just made up?"

I mean, Chris Mortensen, who actually has access to darned near everybody in the NFL, pulls this crap all the time, and it drives me crazy when he does it. So you'll forgive me for my incredulity and skepticism of this article by ... who the hell? ... Joe Johnson?

What passes for journalism these days is a joke. You guys have fun.
Lol I’m just saying if it’s true it’s alarming. I didn’t say it was true. But I hear ya. Anything from this site, Vikings age, etc are about as valid as trusting someone’s word on Facebook
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm When the former linebacker was brought in to coach up a bad Oline, I said it was a stupid move. We needed a good oline coach who could develop guys and teach technique, not just a Kubiak yes-man who knew how to coach a system. Bringing him in is on Zimmer, but it is also on the GM. Elway said no to Dennison and chose to not hire Kubiak as his OC because Dennison came with him. Why didn't Rick? Why didn't Zimmer recognize the need for a good Oline coach and refuse to allow Kubiak be brought in if Dennison was a part of the deal? Why is Dennison still employed by the Vikings after 2 seasons of 0 development from anyone on the Oline?

It is not just coaching though. Rick has been here 15 seasons and the Oline has never been the strength of this team during that time. Nothing changed when he hired Zimmer, and nothing would change with another HC as long as Rick is our GM. It is development and talent. There aren't former Viking olinemen having success elsewhere. They leave the Vikings after sucking for years, then go somewhere else and suck.
Good points all around.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:14 pmWell Kapp and Jim, I just had a brilliant epiphany!!! As many of you remember retired NFL linemen Kory Lichtensteiger is from my small town, I am friends with the family and work with his older brother. Kory moved back here when he retired so I see him around and talk to him all the time. He was a starter in Denver and Shanahan loved him. He was released when Josh McDaniels became HC for Denver and actually was picked up by the Vikings for about a few months when Sullivan was having injury issues. Then Shanahan was hired as HC in Washington and Kory was signed there and became an immediate starter in about the first week of Shanahan tenure. And I've talked here about Kory being starter there for RG3 and then Cousins for time there except for Cousins last year cuz Kory retired that season.
So now my epiphany vision for all of us here!!!
I will have Kory come over for a few days, we will lock ourselves in my Vikings mancave and I will have him watch all the Vikes games I have on the DVR and have him tell me the current state of the Vikes and what will happen for us in the next 5 to 10 seasons.
I will then start my own social media show and enlighten everyone with the " Expert First Hand locker room knowledge " like all these other guys seem to do. BUT... I will not pull the confidential unnamed source or anonymous teammates crap that all these "Insiders " seem to inevitably cite in their reports.
On the contrary, I will just have a picture of Kory and I sitting there having a film session as the header of every report.
And the very best part is the fact that my last name is Proffitt. So I will deem the website and blog "Proffitt's Purple Prophecy---- God's Honest Truth".
With some , actually MOST of the garbage, that we constantly seem to ingest every week I figure I can throw my hat.. or I guess in the Spirit of the premise.. my Halo in the ring and throw some crazy news, ideas and gossip out there too!!
And I promise when I become Nationally syndicated I will be sure and incorporate all us VMB members in the discussions!!!
A man with a plan! I like it. :)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Tell me again why Speilman is not fired for not building a good offensive line?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

With a couple defensive backs in the early rounds of the draft Zimmer will fix this. :whistle:

Ever wonder why he was an assistant coach for 20 years...
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am With a couple defensive backs in the early rounds of the draft Zimmer will fix this. :whistle:

I understand the frustration with picking CBs. IMO you better have some CBs or you won't compete. Denny Green never bothered with CBs. Then he had the balls to start a WR Robert Tate at CB in the NFC Champ game against the Giants. That didn't turn out to well. Hughes turning into a absolute joke killed our secondary. I thought the guy looked good at a one point. Especially when he jumped a route and made the pick six. That's playing D. I thought here we go nice draft choice. Since then he's worthless. Waste of a roster spot. This years picks at CB is a hard evaluation at this point. Dantzler made some plays but he also got ripped to shreds. He cost us that Seahawk game when he allowed that floater completion by Wilson. That ball needs to be picked or at a minimum batted away. Looked like he lost it I guess. That's not what I look for in a CB. And the 1st round guy? I can't believe the guy actually played CB in his lifetime. Looks like a bust at this point. Another bad pick at CB. They need to pick another one this year.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:51 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am With a couple defensive backs in the early rounds of the draft Zimmer will fix this. :whistle:

I understand the frustration with picking CBs. IMO you better have some CBs or you won't compete. Denny Green never bothered with CBs. Then he had the balls to start a WR Robert Tate at CB in the NFC Champ game against the Giants. That didn't turn out to well. Hughes turning into a absolute joke killed our secondary. I thought the guy looked good at a one point. Especially when he jumped a route and made the pick six. That's playing D. I thought here we go nice draft choice. Since then he's worthless. Waste of a roster spot. This years picks at CB is a hard evaluation at this point. Dantzler made some plays but he also got ripped to shreds. He cost us that Seahawk game when he allowed that floater completion by Wilson. That ball needs to be picked or at a minimum batted away. Looked like he lost it I guess. That's not what I look for in a CB. And the 1st round guy? I can't believe the guy actually played CB in his lifetime. Looks like a bust at this point. Another bad pick at CB. They need to pick another one this year.
They should have held onto one of Rhodes, Waynes or Alexander. Waynes would have been tough because of the contract but Alexander was cheap and did well in Cincinnati. Rhodes has looked really good this year, PFF just ranked him the #3 red zone corner in the NFL. Our red zone D took a big step back this year.

Some will argue this was a rebuild year and that’s why we moved on. If that’s true, why trade for Yannick? Why give Cousins a huge extension? It’s consistent with the constant problem here and that’s lack of a clear vision and/or inability to execute on whatever strategy they’re trying to employ.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Hughes didn't jump that route. The Qb literally threw it at him. People always praised him for that play but my mom could have scored that one. Maybe not my mother but you get the point. Wr slipped and he simply caught it.

https://youtu.be/v8VjXmhSIJ0
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:38 pm
They should have held onto one of Rhodes, Waynes or Alexander. Waynes would have been tough because of the contract but Alexander was cheap and did well in Cincinnati. Rhodes has looked really good this year, PFF just ranked him the #3 red zone corner in the NFL. Our red zone D took a big step back this year.

Some will argue this was a rebuild year and that’s why we moved on. If that’s true, why trade for Yannick? Why give Cousins a huge extension? It’s consistent with the constant problem here and that’s lack of a clear vision and/or inability to execute on whatever strategy they’re trying to employ.
Maybe they thought Hughes was ready to take a spot. I read that Rhodes is playing zone now. I know he can't play man anymore he had two straight crap seasons. He doesn't fit the scheme. None of us know the deal with Yannick. He was getting sacks. But we were 1-5. He left and we started winning. Maybe they took what they could get instead of letting him walk away and get nothing in the end. Perhaps there was something else that happened. I'm glad they kept Cousins. I think he's a good QB. The only better choice is a rookie contract guy who has the same or better skill set.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:34 pm
Hughes didn't jump that route. The Qb literally threw it at him. People always praised him for that play but my mom could have scored that one. Maybe not my mother but you get the point. Wr slipped and he simply caught it.

He caught the ball and scored. That's worth some praise in my book.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Maybe they thought Hughes was ready to take a spot. I read that Rhodes is playing zone now. I know he can't play man anymore he had two straight crap seasons. He doesn't fit the scheme. None of us know the deal with Yannick. He was getting sacks. But we were 1-5. He left and we started winning. Maybe they took what they could get instead of letting him walk away and get nothing in the end. Perhaps there was something else that happened. I'm glad they kept Cousins. I think he's a good QB. The only better choice is a rookie contract guy who has the same or better skill set.
Rhodes' 2018 "crap" season: 19th fewest yards given up (out of 66 qualifying CBs), 12th fewest TDs with 2. If we could get 3 CBs to have that kind of "crap" season again we would be one of the best pass defenses in the NFL.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 pm
Tell me again why Speilman is not fired for not building a good offensive line?
Yep. PFF grades are meant to grade talent more than outcomes. That is pathetic after all of the picks invested at that spot over the past 3 seasons. 18th overall, 2 2nds and a 3rd and this is what we have to show for it.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:26 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:34 pm

He caught the ball and scored. That's worth some praise in my book.
Praises yes... Proof that he is worth a 1st..no.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm
Rhodes' 2018 "crap" season: 19th fewest yards given up (out of 66 qualifying CBs), 12th fewest TDs with 2. If we could get 3 CBs to have that kind of "crap" season again we would be one of the best pass defenses in the NFL.
This is from the Star Tribune SEPTEMBER 1, 2019 — 12:28AM

Rhodes, 29, pinned last year’s mediocre campaign — compared to the shutdown standard he set previously — on frustration from injuries that mounted because of a lack of rest and an unrelenting weekly workout schedule.

By the end of last season, during which Rhodes was listed as questionable five times and played a career-low 74% of snaps since becoming a starter, his broken parts mounted.

“Ankle, hammy, glute, back,” Rhodes said. “Yeah.”

Coach Mike Zimmer challenged Rhodes this offseason, saying the two-time Pro Bowler “needs to play up to his contract,” which pays about $14 million annually.

He had one interception in 2018.