Kubiak leaning towards retirement

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Kubiak leaning towards retirement

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/viki ... er-report/

Part of me wishes they'd clean house and hire Bienemy. You can't keep changing offensive coordinator every year and expect success.

The other part of me is wondering if Klint Kubiak got his job because of nepotism or of he could be the next Kyle Shannahan? Maybe both? Can he be Zimmer's heir apparent?

It's going to be an interesting offseason.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Kubiak leaning towards retirement

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am going to be honest, the changing of offensive coordinators almost every year has honestly gotten old, it reminds me of the Browns changing head coaches almost every year and Kubiak has said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

According to Chad Graff of The Athletic, who does a great job covering the Vikings, here are the early favorites to replace Gary Kubiak. My comments in parentheses.

• Klint Kubiak (I hope not)
• Rick Dennison (For the love of God, no)
• Anthony Lynn (OK by me)
• Hue Jackson (because of their time together in Cincinnati — please not another out-of-work Bengals coach)
• Jay Gruden (I'm sure Kirk Cousins would love that ... NOT)
• Ken Zampese (yet another Cincinnati buddy, plus he was Dwayne Haskins' QB coach ... um, no)
• Dan Campbell (Who? TE coach for New Orleans. Zimmer loves Payton so much, maybe he should just go be the Saints DC)

There you have it. Read 'em and weep.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 pm According to Chad Graff of The Athletic, who does a great job covering the Vikings, here are the early favorites to replace Gary Kubiak. My comments in parentheses.

• Hue Jackson (because of their time together in Cincinnati — please not another out-of-work Bengals coach)
• Ken Zampese (yet another Cincinnati buddy, plus he was Dwayne Haskins' QB coach ... um, no)
• Dan Campbell (Who? TE coach for New Orleans. Zimmer loves Payton so much, maybe he should just go be the Saints DC)

Yuck. Can we just start over yet? What are we going all in on Zimmer expecting him to win it all in the next two years with constant turnover on offense and a putrid defense? It's not going to happen with this regime.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 pm According to Chad Graff of The Athletic, who does a great job covering the Vikings, here are the early favorites to replace Gary Kubiak. My comments in parentheses.

Out of the choices, I would take Anthony Lynn but I have a feeling that it will be Klint Kubiak unless Klint wants to leave with his dad
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Great. The coordinator of the ONLY unit that actually functioned well this season is leaving. Zimmer must be a PITA to work with, given all of this turnover. It's time to hit reset.

Here's the pickle on the OC front: Zimmer seems to prefer to hire it out and not really interfere with the offense. Thus, his preference for a wise old veteran like Kubiak or Norv Turner. OTOH, we've built a style of play around Kubiak's offensive scheme. We've drafted smaller, but athletic linemen to match this scheme. It makes no sense, at this point, to bring in another veteran OC with a new approach. So the most likely scenario is to promote from within. Klint is likely to get the nod, IMO.

I wish we had hired Stefanski as HC, honestly.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

bottom line....zim associates with losers, so anyone HE gets to pick will be bottom feeders. If the Vikes keep Zim, its all just bad. Spielman picked Zim, so if Zim is gone it would seem that Spielman too would be gone if he really is held accountable at all by Wilf. Sadly, I dont believe the Wilfs really hold Spielman accountable, he is their little golden boy ( for no good reason), so most likely, we will continue to wallow in low level mediocrity.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Klint is the guy. Part of the reason the offense saw improvement this year is continuity. They finally started to get pieces and scheme to come together. Makes no sense to scrap all that when there is already going to be a lot of salary cap turnover and the defense is in need of an infusion of talent.

Continuity is almost always underrated by fans and impatient owners alike. If it's not Klint it's because the vikings are starting over and zimmer is gone too. A defensible option, but generally lots of coaching overturn is the sign of a losing franchise.

If they are going with a new coach at the top they need to scrap everyone and start fresh. Anyone not drafted in the last 3 years should be released or traded as soon as possible and let the new coach build it from the foundation. If you dont trust your coach to do that, you shouldn't have hired him. If you do, you have to give him patience and support.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

any team that promotes by nepotism is putrid.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 am Continuity is almost always underrated by fans and impatient owners alike.
I always find the "continuity" argument fascinating. There has been what I consider to be "folklore" built up around the concept that "continuity brings success", rather than "serial success brings continuity".

Being patient is a thing, for sure. But like (I believe Parcells) said about players, if they have not contributed in three years, they very likely ain't gonna. For HC's, I think four years is fair to find out what they have and what they are about, especially if they've been in the league the prior 20 years in other roles.

I've had enough of Zimmer's continuity. He can "continuit" right out of the building as far as I'm concerned. But our owners (to date) do not see it that way, so highest probability says we will continue our way to another (let me check the year ... odd or even ... yup, playoffs in '21) early playoff exit. One caveat is the OC position, I think Zim's choice could substantially sway odds one way or the other. But hey, no pressure there Zim :D

I'm being a bit of an arse but when it's all broken down, there seems to be extremely small odds that Zim "learns new ways" eight years into his stint here and going on what, 30 years in the league. He is what he is. We've had issues along the way, like any team, but we've had major (what I believe to be largely coaching) issues that have gone unaddressed for years and years. And I give the D almost a complete pass this year.

I'm not sure why some feel the odds of Zim getting better at what he does at this point are higher than the odds that he stays the same. I get optimism, especially as it applies to our young (but struggling) players. I think our DB's and younger OL have a lot of upside and great potential to learn from the right staff. But Zim is what he is. His style was a perfect mismatch for a "Covidized" season.

Under extremely similar team circumstances, Shanahan is getting coach-of-the-year buzz and his DC is a hot HC candidate, having only won six games. And yet Zim's name is "nowhere to be buzzed" and no one even knows who our DC is, having won seven.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:28 am bottom line....zim associates with losers, so anyone HE gets to pick will be bottom feeders. If the Vikes keep Zim, its all just bad. Spielman picked Zim, so if Zim is gone it would seem that Spielman too would be gone if he really is held accountable at all by Wilf. Sadly, I dont believe the Wilfs really hold Spielman accountable, he is their little golden boy ( for no good reason), so most likely, we will continue to wallow in low level mediocrity.
Zim associates with losers? I thought Kubiak won a Super Bowl. He lost two OCs because they became HCs. You call that two losers? There's not too many HC jobs in the NFL. They are winners in that regard. IMO the Wilf family is in this to make money first. The stadium sells out. That's money in their pocket. You can say Speilman deserves no credit for that. I think he does. He puts the product together. If the product was so bad the stadium wouldn't sell out then Speilman would be gone. That's why Speilman is the golden boy. This is a business first for the Wilf family. I'm sure they would like a Super Bowl also. But the business making money is the top goal. Speilmans part of that group who is helping them make money. And I give the Wilfs credit for allowing our team to spend top cap dollars. They could say stay at the bottom level of CAP but they don't. That's good for us fans.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The changing of offensive coordinators has been a major problem for Zimmer. Mostly because he relies on his OC to provide structure and "take care" of everything. He himself doesn't seem to has an offensive philosophy beyond "we need to make sure to run the ball enough". Instead of having an overarching plan for the team he'll worry about the defense and let the OC do their thing. I think that makes it a more difficult transition from one OC to the next for the players.

This post made me think of Mike Tice. I was going to write something like "Well, Tice is available" but I just found out he retired. I found the reason interesting:
Tice was hired to be the Oakland Raiders offensive line coach in January 2015.[6] On February 6, 2018, Tice announced that he is retiring from coaching. He says he’s ready to move on from the coaching ranks because “players today don’t want to be coached."
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 am The changing of offensive coordinators has been a major problem for Zimmer. Mostly because he relies on his OC to provide structure and "take care" of everything. He himself doesn't seem to has an offensive philosophy beyond "we need to make sure to run the ball enough". Instead of having an overarching plan for the team he'll worry about the defense and let the OC do their thing. I think that makes it a more difficult transition from one OC to the next for the players.

This post made me think of Mike Tice. I was going to write something like "Well, Tice is available" but I just found out he retired. I found the reason interesting:
Tice was hired to be the Oakland Raiders offensive line coach in January 2015.[6] On February 6, 2018, Tice announced that he is retiring from coaching. He says he’s ready to move on from the coaching ranks because “players today don’t want to be coached."
I never knew Tice retired but Tice would never return to Vikings since Wilfs treated him like crap and I do not blame him and players not wanting to be coached, I swear I remembered Tice tried to talk to one of the players but he refused to sit on the bench and listen to him, I think that is when Tice was with the Falcons
Last edited by RandyMoss84 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

It would be nice to have Anthony Lynn on the staff but Im not sure about offensive coordinator.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:32 am It would be nice to have Anthony Lynn on the staff but Im not sure about offensive coordinator.
He is better than the other crappy options on the list