Bears game Dec. 20

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Bears game Dec. 20

Post by VikingLord »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:25 am Interesting to see that the effects of Purple Kool Aid wear off almost immediately after seeing our decrepit organization get beaten by a miserable franchise like Da Bears.
Hard to say the Bears are miserable. They have some serious limitations, but they have a better record than the Vikings this year and have done pretty well now for a few games in a row after starting the season at 5-1.

And, I'd say they've accomplished that with less overall talent and bigger question marks than the Vikings. If you look at the offensive talent levels of the two teams (including their offensive lines, of which the Bears have had a real sh1tshow all season), I mean, it's not even close. The Vikings have much more, and yet overall haven't accomplished much more with that talent, while the Bears have managed to wring every last drop out of what they have and are even starting to look respectable now on offense. Defensively, the Bears have almost as many question marks in their secondary as the Vikings, and yet they've managed to play some solid defense. They haven't been subject to the extremes we've seen from the Vikings where some games they look motivated and consistent, and some games they look overmatched and disinterested.

And special teams, well, let's say I wasn't surprised when the Bear kicker came out and made his extra points and field goals.

I guess if I step back and objectively look at the two organizations right now, I'd say the Bears have gotten a lot more out of a lot less than the Vikings. I'm still more optimistic about the Vikings future as I think they've got a lot of structural advantages in terms of players and development potential heading into next year, but if you just look at outcomes this year, Nagy has gotten everything out of that roster.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cousins best pass was the hail mary. I'm not being facetious.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I thought this was actually a heartening game. The offensive line was able to perform well against a Bears team that has owned the LOS against this team for years. The defense is a mess, but a of of young guys are getting reps, and a couple few of them will be valuable down the road. Kirk was Kirk. Should have traded up for Herbert as I was wishing we would have. Have to get a QB this year. Kirk sucks.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:37 pm I thought this was actually a heartening game. The offensive line was able to perform well against a Bears team that has owned the LOS against this team for years. The defense is a mess, but a of of young guys are getting reps, and a couple few of them will be valuable down the road. Kirk was Kirk. Should have traded up for Herbert as I was wishing we would have. Have to get a QB this year. Kirk sucks.
“The offensive was able to perform well”. You weren’t watching the bears/Vikings game. Our Oline is a s!hit show. The bears front four ran over and through them. And we know how you feel about Kirk. You don’t deserve a great QB because you wouldn’t know one if we had one.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Frozen Rope wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:37 pm I thought this was actually a heartening game. The offensive line was able to perform well against a Bears team that has owned the LOS against this team for years. The defense is a mess, but a of of young guys are getting reps, and a couple few of them will be valuable down the road. Kirk was Kirk. Should have traded up for Herbert as I was wishing we would have. Have to get a QB this year. Kirk sucks.
“The offensive was able to perform well”. You weren’t watching the bears/Vikings game. Our Oline is a s!hit show. The bears front four ran over and through them. And we know how you feel about Kirk. You don’t deserve a great QB because you wouldn’t know one if we had one.
Weak.

The offensive line has turned a corner. They looked like an NFL OL against the Bears powerful front for the first time in many seasons.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

for those of you blessed by NOT having to live in Chicago, let me assure you that their offense is a miserable joke due to a horrible QB and a coach who refuses to adapt to the talent he has. Coach Nagy and the brainiac GM who drafted Trubitsky over Mahomes were on the verge of being fired mid season up until this last 2 weeks.
Trubitsky is on his way out the door and no one in the league is looking to pick him up as a starter. The sad Vikes were just the cure the Bears needed to help them try and preserve their jobs. Every team in the league wishes they could play the Vikes I imagine......The Bears Defense has also slipped giving up over 300 yards in many consecutive games lately. The Bears are a poorly run team with suspect talent and we cant beat them.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:44 am Every team in the league wishes they could play the Vikes I imagine
Overreaction to an ugly loss.

Everybody wanted to play the Jets and Bengals, yes?

Any team that has beat the Pack and Panthers and lost by one to the Titans and Seahawks is not really a team “everybody wants to play right now”.

We are inconsistent (Zim’s middle name), so no, no team would look at us and say “easy win”. We can beat the Pack or lose to the listless Cowboys any given week.

As easy as it is to blurt out “the Vikes suck!!” … “our D sucks!!” … “Cousins sucks!!” … “Spielman sucks!!” the actual truth of the matter is that none of them fit the typical description of suck. In fact none of them are even close.

IMO our weakest link is by FAR the coaching staff, and even they do not “suck”, unless you narrow it down to special teams.

We may indeed lose to the Saints, but not because we suck. They may just happen to be a better team from coaches on down on that day. Maybe not. I do give us a fair shot in that game.

And while I hate the Saints with an unrelenting passion, their HC beats the pants off of ours. And Joe Lombardi, their QB coach, is about 10,000% better than ours. And their special teams is ranked 37 spots above us in a 32 team league.

But the Saints won’t take us lightly based on recent results, I guarantee you that.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Saints QB went down and their coaches figured out a way to win anyways...
Our coach/GM have the QB they felt was worth a kings ransom and they cant really win much at all. Imagine the excuses Zim and Spielman would be making if OUR QB went down.....
Spielman has built non-contenders for a decade...neglected the OL to the point that great discoveries like Cook and our Receivers ( we have had a bunch of great receivers and TEs over the years) have all gone to waste or left. JJ is next.
Spielman picked our coaches and they have been pretty disappointing for a decade. He also continues to give out contract extensions when they are not warranted and this puts us in salary cap hell. He needs to go.
I have been a Vikes fan for some many decades that i can remember when we were a quality fearsome organization.....we arent even close to that standard for the last decade. Its nust not good enough and I wont pretend and coddle them. They do not deserve praise. if the Ownership wont go all in and make the moves that are needed to get us into a SuperBowl, well, I guess they dont deserve to have me driving to MN on the weekends, buying expensive Tix for our beautiful new stadium, and their hyper-priced beer and food. I have given them that effort for the last 30 years......We deserve far better then what they give us lately.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

With everything pretty much covered by everyone, I wanted to say the thing that angered me the most was that flimsy draw play they called on the drive after the interception. If you're gonna call a run play for Cook call a real one he's already proven to be one of the best!

It feels like we're the only team that cant convert 4th and short during a clutch drive!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:20 pm
chicagopurple wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:25 am Interesting to see that the effects of Purple Kool Aid wear off almost immediately after seeing our decrepit organization get beaten by a miserable franchise like Da Bears.
Hard to say the Bears are miserable. They have some serious limitations, but they have a better record than the Vikings this year and have done pretty well now for a few games in a row after starting the season at 5-1.

And, I'd say they've accomplished that with less overall talent and bigger question marks than the Vikings. If you look at the offensive talent levels of the two teams (including their offensive lines, of which the Bears have had a real sh1tshow all season), I mean, it's not even close. The Vikings have much more, and yet overall haven't accomplished much more with that talent, while the Bears have managed to wring every last drop out of what they have and are even starting to look respectable now on offense. Defensively, the Bears have almost as many question marks in their secondary as the Vikings, and yet they've managed to play some solid defense. They haven't been subject to the extremes we've seen from the Vikings where some games they look motivated and consistent, and some games they look overmatched and disinterested.

And special teams, well, let's say I wasn't surprised when the Bear kicker came out and made his extra points and field goals.

I guess if I step back and objectively look at the two organizations right now, I'd say the Bears have gotten a lot more out of a lot less than the Vikings. I'm still more optimistic about the Vikings future as I think they've got a lot of structural advantages in terms of players and development potential heading into next year, but if you just look at outcomes this year, Nagy has gotten everything out of that roster.
The Bears were 5-1 and looked motivated. Then they became disinterested and crapped the bed. You call that a great job by Nagy? A 5-1 team and then they give up? That's bad coaching. I don't think we have a current D starter that could start for them. There O line is a s show and gave up 1 sack to us. That's not bad. We gave up 3 to them so what is our OL then. Our talent level is below the Bears talent level at this point in time. Mack gets a teams attention. Without Hunter who does that on our team. For special teams I thought CP was a good return guy. We have Beebe who if he holds the ball it's a miracle. So I don't see our talent level now as being so far ahead at any level.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:13 pm Saints QB went down and their coaches figured out a way to win anyways...
Our coach/GM have the QB they felt was worth a kings ransom and they cant really win much at all. Imagine the excuses Zim and Spielman would be making if OUR QB went down.....
Spielman has built non-contenders for a decade...neglected the OL to the point that great discoveries like Cook and our Receivers ( we have had a bunch of great receivers and TEs over the years) have all gone to waste or left. JJ is next.
Spielman picked our coaches and they have been pretty disappointing for a decade. He also continues to give out contract extensions when they are not warranted and this puts us in salary cap hell. He needs to go.
I have been a Vikes fan for some many decades that i can remember when we were a quality fearsome organization.....we arent even close to that standard for the last decade. Its nust not good enough and I wont pretend and coddle them. They do not deserve praise. if the Ownership wont go all in and make the moves that are needed to get us into a SuperBowl, well, I guess they dont deserve to have me driving to MN on the weekends, buying expensive Tix for our beautiful new stadium, and their hyper-priced beer and food. I have given them that effort for the last 30 years......We deserve far better then what they give us lately.
Is that the same Saint coaches that allowed a wildcard team with the biggest loser at QB to march into their building and beat them in a playoff game last year? That team was us. If those coaches had half a brain their backup QB was giving us fits and these great coaches yank him. QBs cost money. Big money. Right now the Colts pay the most for their QBs. Old man Rivers and some stiff they gave a kings ransom to. I don't see a Super Bowl for them. It's cool that you go to the games. There must be some fun in it. Remember it's entertainment. No more than that. For the Wilf's the stadium sells out. From a business sense something is going right. If the stadium wasn't selling out he'd shake things up.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:52 pm The Bears were 5-1 and looked motivated. Then they became disinterested and crapped the bed. You call that a great job by Nagy? A 5-1 team and then they give up? That's bad coaching. I don't think we have a current D starter that could start for them. There O line is a s show and gave up 1 sack to us. That's not bad. We gave up 3 to them so what is our OL then. Our talent level is below the Bears talent level at this point in time. Mack gets a teams attention. Without Hunter who does that on our team. For special teams I thought CP was a good return guy. We have Beebe who if he holds the ball it's a miracle. So I don't see our talent level now as being so far ahead at any level.
You don't think Kendricks could start for the Bears?

Name me a Bear offensive player you'd take over their Viking counterpart.

On defense, I concede the Bear front 7 is better overall, but once again, not at every position. Kendricks would go over the Bear MLB, although I'd probably take the Bear defender at every other position in the front 7. If we're looking at the secondary of each team, that's a wash at best. I'd probably take Smith and Harris over their starting safeties. DBs I'd probably flip a coin.

Advantage talent-wise goes to the 2020 Vikings. It's not by a huge margin, but it's not insignificant, either, and I give Nagy and his staff a great deal of credit for the job they've managed to do in keeping the Bears relevant and in the playoff hunt.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:55 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:52 pm The Bears were 5-1 and looked motivated. Then they became disinterested and crapped the bed. You call that a great job by Nagy? A 5-1 team and then they give up? That's bad coaching. I don't think we have a current D starter that could start for them. There O line is a s show and gave up 1 sack to us. That's not bad. We gave up 3 to them so what is our OL then. Our talent level is below the Bears talent level at this point in time. Mack gets a teams attention. Without Hunter who does that on our team. For special teams I thought CP was a good return guy. We have Beebe who if he holds the ball it's a miracle. So I don't see our talent level now as being so far ahead at any level.

On defense, I concede the Bear front 7 is better overall, but once again, not at every position. Kendricks would go over the Bear MLB, although I'd probably take the Bear defender at every other position in the front 7. If we're looking at the secondary of each team, that's a wash at best. I'd probably take Smith and Harris over their starting safeties. DBs I'd probably flip a coin.

Advantage talent-wise goes to the 2020 Vikings. It's not by a huge margin, but it's not insignificant, either, and I give Nagy and his staff a great deal of credit for the job they've managed to do in keeping the Bears relevant and in the playoff hunt.
Eddie Jackson is better than Smith and Harris. CB Fuller is a decent player. Allen Robinson is a very good WR. There OL is better than ours. They have some TEs. Jimmy Graham was once a star and they have a rookie. ST are also part of the show and they are a million miles ahead of us. CP is dangerous and they have a legit kicker. 18 straight FG. I think Kirk is better than Trib. I'm sure others feel differently. The Bears have more talent than you give them credit for. They can't challenge at this point because Rodgers is in the division. We have the same problem.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:31 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Eddie Jackson is better than Smith and Harris. CB Fuller is a decent player. Allen Robinson is a very good WR. There OL is better than ours. They have some TEs. Jimmy Graham was once a star and they have a rookie. ST are also part of the show and they are a million miles ahead of us. CP is dangerous and they have a legit kicker. 18 straight FG. I think Kirk is better than Trib. I'm sure others feel differently. The Bears have more talent than you give them credit for. They can't challenge at this point because Rodgers is in the division. We have the same problem.
OK, so you'd take Robinson over Thielen or JJ?

The Bear OL has been pretty bad all year. The last two games they've played better, but you'd take their entire OL over the Vikings OL?

I'm surprised you didn't mention Montgomery at RB too. He did out-rush Cook in this last game. Maybe he's better too?

I think you're stretching on the offensive side of the ball with those choices, and I doubt many here would swap out any Bear offensive player for their Vikings counterpart (including Robinson), but if you would, you would.

I also think I give the Bears due credit for the talent they have. As I noted, their defensive front 7 is better across the board sans Kendricks. And I can't argue with you on special teams. Their secondary, it's a wash.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:31 pm
OK, so you'd take Robinson over Thielen or JJ?

The Bear OL has been pretty bad all year. The last two games they've played better, but you'd take their entire OL over the Vikings OL?

I'm surprised you didn't mention Montgomery at RB too. He did out-rush Cook in this last game. Maybe he's better too?

I think you're stretching on the offensive side of the ball with those choices, and I doubt many here would swap out any Bear offensive player for their Vikings counterpart (including Robinson), but if you would, you would.

I also think I give the Bears due credit for the talent they have. As I noted, their defensive front 7 is better across the board sans Kendricks. And I can't argue with you on special teams. Their secondary, it's a wash.
Cook is better than Montgomery. Cook is lighting in the bottle and can do it all. Tough as they come. I could argue that he's the best all around back we ever had. The only negative is time missed. But Montgomery isn't some stiff. I would take the Bear OL at this point. Kirk has been beat up pretty good the last few years. He has taken some shots. Our G situation is beyond bad. Bradbury has improved but I've seen him flat on his back. You don't see that everyday. I think the Bears have a better overall roster. Their backup QB is a Super Bowl winner. He blows but he has some skill for a few games. I think their secondary is better especially watching our safeties giving no help over the top all tear.