2021 Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2021 Draft

Post by RandyMoss84 »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:43 am The only situation in which I see us drafting WR Chase is if we trade Thielen while he still has value and his heftier contract. I would like to keep Reiff under a team friendly deal. We need to shore up that offensive line! Also, I wouldn't mind trading Barr away to get rid of that contract and his uselessness in our scheme. Do a sign & trade with Ant Harris for a few draft picks. Bottom line, we need to improve our cap space situation.
No one is going to trade for overrated Barr
CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:57 am
CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:43 am The only situation in which I see us drafting WR Chase is if we trade Thielen while he still has value and his heftier contract. I would like to keep Reiff under a team friendly deal. We need to shore up that offensive line! Also, I wouldn't mind trading Barr away to get rid of that contract and his uselessness in our scheme. Do a sign & trade with Ant Harris for a few draft picks. Bottom line, we need to improve our cap space situation.
I would gladly take a 5th for him to get his awful contract off our books.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:57 am

I would gladly take a 5th for him to get his awful contract off our books.
His contract actually has a pretty easy out. 2
5 million in dead cap in 2021 if the Vikes designate him as a post June 1st cut. There would then be another 5 in 2022.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 am D-Line - ASSUMING Hunter is back at full strength, would you guys be happy going into next season with Wonnum, Stephen, Pierce, Hunter as starters....with maybe Ife/Holmes subbing for Stephen and or Pierce in obvious passing situations?
And Watts/Lynch/Hercules for depth at DT?

Or do we absolutely positively need to add a 3 Tech early in the draft??
We never got to see how well Pierce would do or what a line with Pierce and Hunter could have done. We might have been just fine on that area if things had gone differently. The Barr injury and Kendricks missing games factors in as well. Cleaning house or going after free agents is always an unknown. The D line might look a lot different next year with everybody back. Some of these areas of need are perhaps looking like they’re bigger than they would have been with a healthy team. One of those things that makes me happy that I don’t make the decisions as the unknowns set them up to guess wrong.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I have no problem selecting Chase. Yes the OL and DL needs to be addressed but the chance to provide an offense with 3 great Wrs is too much to pass up. Let's not forget that AT is over 30 and will be 31 before the start of next season. Chase is good enough to play for 2 years as a 3rd and then transition to us having two solid WRs for 6 years.
CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 pm I have no problem selecting Chase. Yes the OL and DL needs to be addressed but the chance to provide an offense with 3 great Wrs is too much to pass up. Let's not forget that AT is over 30 and will be 31 before the start of next season. Chase is good enough to play for 2 years as a 3rd and then transition to us having two solid WRs for 6 years.
I wouldn't mind having Chase, but don't see us carrying him, JJ, and Thielen. We aren't a spread offense with WR need like a KC Chiefs team. I think we have more important positions to fill and this would be a sexy pick, not a pick that benefits the whole team.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I thought this was a good podcast on Vikings D needs in the draft, if you have 40 minutes to kill. I don't agree with all of it but it was a fun listen with a lot of similar comments that we've seen on this board.

Obviously it's difficult to call the biggest D draft needs until we see what they do with their own FAs (Wilson, Harris) and high price tags (Barr) but right now I would put their top 5 D needs in this order:
1. DT
2. S (assuming Harris is gone)
3. DE
4. CB
5. LB (assuming they keep 1 of Barr/Wilson)

Might swap 2 and 3 as, as stated in the podcast, Zimmer views the S next to Smith as least important position on his D. Also depends on Hunter status and how they view Wonnum

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/12/1 ... in-jackson
CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:37 am I thought this was a good podcast on Vikings D needs in the draft, if you have 40 minutes to kill. I don't agree with all of it but it was a fun listen with a lot of similar comments that we've seen on this board.

Obviously it's difficult to call the biggest D draft needs until we see what they do with their own FAs (Wilson, Harris) and high price tags (Barr) but right now I would put their top 5 D needs in this order:
1. DT
3. DE
4. CB

Might swap 2 and 3 as, as stated in the podcast, Zimmer views the S next to Smith as least important position on his D. Also depends on Hunter status and how they view Wonnum

This is pretty accurate, the only thing I would potentially add is OG around 2/3. Cleveland seems legit but I don't completely trust Dozier. Otherwise, your list is spot on! I say keep Wilson over Barr - more affordable and just flat out plays better in our system, assuming Zimmer sticks around.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:02 am
YikesVikes wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 pm I have no problem selecting Chase. Yes the OL and DL needs to be addressed but the chance to provide an offense with 3 great Wrs is too much to pass up. Let's not forget that AT is over 30 and will be 31 before the start of next season. Chase is good enough to play for 2 years as a 3rd and then transition to us having two solid WRs for 6 years.
I wouldn't mind having Chase, but don't see us carrying him, JJ, and Thielen. We aren't a spread offense with WR need like a KC Chiefs team. I think we have more important positions to fill and this would be a sexy pick, not a pick that benefits the whole team.
I think AT is going to decline faster than many think.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:35 pm
CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:02 am

I think AT is going to decline faster than many think.
not arguing but just curious why you'd say that? To me, AT has the type of skills and route running to play for several more years. He might turn more and more into a possession WR and less of a deep threat, but to me he's not the type to have a dramatic drop off. The WRs that rely purely on speed and aren't crafty or good route runners are the ones that have dramatic declines.....once they lose a little speed it completely changes their game
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:56 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:37 am I thought this was a good podcast on Vikings D needs in the draft, if you have 40 minutes to kill. I don't agree with all of it but it was a fun listen with a lot of similar comments that we've seen on this board.

1. DT
3. DE
4. CB

This is pretty accurate, the only thing I would potentially add is OG around 2/3. Cleveland seems legit but I don't completely trust Dozier. Otherwise, your list is spot on! I say keep Wilson over Barr - more affordable and just flat out plays better in our system, assuming Zimmer sticks around.
I agree on OG. This particular podcast was strictly D, but to me if you include O, top 5 needs would be:

#1 DT
#2 OG
#3 S
#4 DE
#5 TE or maybe RB

Next year is the last year on both Reiff's and O'Neill's contracts. I really hope they can keep O'Neill in 2022 and kick Ezra out to LT (or maybe O'Neill LT and Ezra RT??) . I don't think they can possibly keep both O'Neill and Reiif in 2022 (I hope Reiff is still here next year though). So I'd be happy to take an OG in Rd 3 and Rd4.

Here is another thought....cut Rudy and use the $$$ on a FA OG, and then take a TE in the 3rd. The problem is ANY FA contract will get tricky with the cap in 2022 especially with the $45M to Kirk that year
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Look, green bay as a team is #### trash. The only reason they are relevant is rodgers. Trade up and get a qb, we're not getting lawrence but man either fields or lance would look great in purple. Roll with what we have, cut cousins, take the hit and get fields.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I really don’t like Fields, I don’t think his play will translate well to the NFL.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:34 pm I really don’t like Fields, I don’t think his play will translate well to the NFL.
His entire game is literally like kyler murray wasbin college. I dont see how it doesn't translate.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:34 pm I really don’t like Fields, I don’t think his play will translate well to the NFL.
Same he holds the ball to long only thing making him look okay is his athletic ability against the big 10 would be a mistake to take him early in the draft imho.