Justin Jefferson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Justin Jefferson

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 pm Jefferson has been without question the best rookie in the NFL this year, however he has two road blocks to winning the RotY.
First QB bias. Since Burrow went down JJ has a chance, but Herbert has been playing well.
Second JJ plays for the Vikings. Definite anti-Vikings bias.
If they have anti-Vikings bias then Randy would not have won Rookie of the Year
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 pm Jefferson has been without question the best rookie in the NFL this year, however he has two road blocks to winning the RotY.
First QB bias. Since Burrow went down JJ has a chance, but Herbert has been playing well.
Second JJ plays for the Vikings. Definite anti-Vikings bias.
yes he would have. Also the Vikings were 15-1 that season and it was 22 years ago. Less Anti-Vikings bias then.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:38 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm

yes he would have. Also the Vikings were 15-1 that season and it was 22 years ago. Less Anti-Vikings bias then.
If Vikings make the playoffs, Justin will win Rookie of the Year, going from 1-5 to making the playoffs will solidify it and Justin is a major reason why Vikings are winning right now
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Want to be in the know AND get even more excited about this amazing rookie than you already are?

Take a look at this.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:15 pm Want to be in the know AND get even more excited about this amazing rookie than you already are?

Take a look at this.
That was fun. Anyone else OK with us getting a #4, #5, #6 and Jefferson for Diggs and a #7?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:15 pm Want to be in the know AND get even more excited about this amazing rookie than you already are?

Take a look at this.
That was fun. Anyone else OK with us getting a #4, #5, #6 and Jefferson for Diggs and a #7?
Glad you watched. Every Vikings fan should.

If nothing else, Nate Burleson shows why Justin Jefferson is not only GOING to be great, but already is. And if what Mike Zimmer says is true, that he still makes a few "rookie mistakes," then the rest of the league had better be on notice. By Zimmer's assertion, this guy can actually get significantly better. That is scary (but scary good for us).
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Came across this and thought I'd share:

He has others on his site including my new avatar.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:47 pm Came across this and thought I'd share:

He has others on his site including my new avatar.
Nice pictures, I like Adrian Peterson the best, the Vikings horn glowing is cool
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:38 am
If Vikings make the playoffs, Justin will win Rookie of the Year, going from 1-5 to making the playoffs will solidify it and Justin is a major reason why Vikings are winning right now
I believe making the playoffs would be large in his bid. He should win, but I don't see it as a lock yet.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Erin Andrews will be interviewing JJ on Fox pregame pretty shortly
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'll tell you what, the Vikings could have used Diggs today on 3rd down.

Watching SNF, I sure miss his energy and his ability to get consistently open.

I mean, is Cousins really trying to pass to Bebe and Sharpe on critical downs?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:15 am I'll tell you what, the Vikings could have used Diggs today on 3rd down.

Watching SNF, I sure miss his energy and his ability to get consistently open.

I mean, is Cousins really trying to pass to Bebe and Sharpe on critical downs?
Seems to me it’s not really a matter of “could have used”. Under that scenario we “could have used” a lot of ex-Vikes, including kickers. Heck, even Laquan Treadwell scored yesterday - we could have used that 7 points too.

Jefferson, a #4, #5, #6 and rookie contract for a few years sure seemingly beats a #7, Diggs and huge cap hit for several years. The trade worked out well for both teams. Cherry picking games one way or the other seems unproductive.

Just curious - does lamenting Digg’s absence mean you would reverse the trade if you could?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:15 am I'll tell you what, the Vikings could have used Diggs today on 3rd down.
You'd take Diggs over Jefferson at this point?

Cousins went to the open guy. Tampa focused on taking Jefferson and Thielen away and took their chances with the Vikings TEs and RBs, and based on what I saw, they didn't really slow the Vikings down for most of the game doing that as the Vikings ran and passed on them at will for long stretches.

I do wish the Vikings had taken a few more deep shots. Both Thielen and Jefferson have shown an ability to make those contested catches on deep throws and even if Tampa was cheating the safeties back to take that away I would think Kubiak would dial up a few attempts.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:01 pm
That's a tough one but I think I would. Having a WR you can rely on to be open on 3rd down may not be as flashy as going downfield, but I think it's just as important. Besides, Diggs could do it all, possession guy, stretch the field, contested catches. I think Diggs was harder to defend,
Cousins went to the open guy. Tampa focused on taking Jefferson and Thielen away and took their chances with the Vikings TEs and RBs,
It's easy to assume Cousins went to the open guy. My guess is he dumped to the easier target. And I wouldn't say Bebe wasn't open. .
and based on what I saw, they didn't really slow the Vikings down for most of the game doing that as the Vikings ran and passed on them at will for long stretches
Not when it mattered. That's my point. They were 5--15 on 3rd down. We can blame the FG kicker. But what about being 1st and 10 at the 17, 1st and 10 at the 31, 1st and goal at the 8 , 1st and 10 at the 45. The offense had 4 drives where they had a fresh set of downs in Bucs territory and yielded 0 points.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:53 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:01 pm

That's a tough one but I think I would. Having a WR you can rely on to be open on 3rd down may not be as flashy as going downfield, but I think it's just as important. Besides, Diggs could do it all, possession guy, stretch the field, contested catches. I think Diggs was harder to defend,
Cousins went to the open guy. Tampa focused on taking Jefferson and Thielen away and took their chances with the Vikings TEs and RBs,
It's easy to assume Cousins went to the open guy. My guess is he dumped to the easier target. And I wouldn't say Bebe wasn't open. .
and based on what I saw, they didn't really slow the Vikings down for most of the game doing that as the Vikings ran and passed on them at will for long stretches
Not when it mattered. That's my point. They were 5--15 on 3rd down. We can blame the FG kicker. But what about being 1st and 10 at the 17, 1st and 10 at the 31, 1st and goal at the 8 , 1st and 10 at the 45. The offense had 4 drives where they had a fresh set of downs in Bucs territory and yielded 0 points.
I agree with you that Diggs is no slouch, but Jefferson is exceeding in his first year with the Vikings any year Diggs had as a Viking, and might even be exceeding what Diggs is doing as a Bill depending on how one looks at their respective stats. For example, it is true Diggs has more total yards receiving, but he also has 100 receptions as compared to just 65 by Jefferson. In terms of average yards, Jefferson leads. In terms of TDs, Jefferson leads. In terms of long reception, Jefferson leads. In terms of YAC, Jefferson is just barely behind.

Not sure on the 3rd down targets/receptions/conversions stats, but my guess is they are close there too.

As far as the passing distribution went, my theory is that Tampa plays so well and aggressively up front that they were able to keep their safeties deep and provide help on the deeper routes. That left the shorter outside routes and shorter middle routes more open, and Cousins simply went to those reads more often. Not sure why Bebe wasn't targeted more often, but maybe Beebe didn't run as many short routes or wasn't on the field as often.