2021 Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2021 Draft

Post by IIsweet »

Really a good read. Hits a lot of what is said on here.

https://nflmocks.com/2020/12/05/minneso ... hes/amp/5/
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bottom line I would like to see some help for the passing D. That means pass rushers, coverage CBs that get interceptions and safeties that are ball hawks. Of course if one of those two top QBs drop to us then that needs to be the pick. Even if WR Chase falls that's the pick. Basically we could pick any position and justify it. Just make sure it's the top guy.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

JaMarr Chase is hyped as the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson, no way he makes it out of the top 5.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 am
808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:59 pm Trade up and get a future QB. Vikings aren't going anywhere with Cousins. He'll have his spurt where he plays well. Vikings will maybe squeeze into the playoffs and lose again. Cousins will struggle early in the season next year and the Vikings will have no chance of getting a 1st round bye. That's the key to winning the SB. Getting a 1st round bye. The Vikings will never achieve that with Cousins. He's a headcase. Every meaningless win now moves the team further and further away from their goal.
I think the key is getting home field advantage. Last year the Packers had a bye and then had to hit the road. They were beat. IMO if the 49ers needed to travel to Green Bay then they would have been beat. That's just speculation of course but I'd take home field over anything. The two top QBs in the draft will be gone picks one and two. To get in that position we would need to trade our top 5 players and our next 6 drafts. Maybe it would take less or more but I know it would be expensive. And beyond that why would a team trade the right to get a potential super star QB? What's the benefit? They don't come out every year. IMO I'd rather do a yuck for Luck deal to get that QB. It's better than a 4 or 5 win season.
You're right. That's what I meant. Secure HFA. Basically getting the best record in the NFC which will never happen with Cousins. All this talk about how good he's doing now, we went through this last year too. There is no consistency with him. He can look good to average at times, but also look like he doesn't belong on the field too. There is no "turning the corner" with Cousins. This is who he is, it's who he's been since Washington, a headcase.

As for drafting a QB. Not sure how high he'll climb but I'd trade up for Wilson.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 am They had us finished at 9. Have people seen JaMar Chase ??? He's better than JJ !!! He's compared to Julio Jones and AJ Green in their prime.
I know that need OL, but I also say we keep Reiff. I would let Rudy, Barr, Harris walk. Going to have to entertain letting Smith walk too. Too much $.
Honestly Greggory Rousseau of Miami would be an awesome DE. Even the Pitt DT who is being compared to Aaron Donald.
I was just saying how fun it would be to add Chase. Thielen is 30 years old. Offensive talent would be off the charts.
I think in the end BPA is the way to go, and if Chase is BPA when the Vikings pick, then take him.

Just don't reach for a position when there are better players at other positions, and if all else is equal and there are multiple good picks at multiple positions, take the guy at the position where the need is most acute.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

this might sound crazy, but what does everyone think about drafting a RB with one of our 3rd round picks?

I like Mattison but he's injured again this year when we need to give Cook reduced carries. Since the Vikings emphasize the run so much, I wouldn't mind seeing another viable option for 10+ carries a game.

thoughts? Crazy??
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:38 am this might sound crazy, but what does everyone think about drafting a RB with one of our 3rd round picks?

I like Mattison but he's injured again this year when we need to give Cook reduced carries. Since the Vikings emphasize the run so much, I wouldn't mind seeing another viable option for 10+ carries a game.

thoughts? Crazy??
I don't think that's crazy, but I do think Abdullah and Boone are pretty solid behind Cook and Mattison, so personally I'd rather invest in the trenches and secondary.

I do think, however, that RB has slowly become undervalued in the NFL compared to the days when Mike Lynn made his infamous trade for Herschel Walker. The pendulum has swung to the other polar extreme now, where really blue chip RBs are taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. Given this fact, paired with our offensive philosophy, I can see the rationale for what you are proposing.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:02 am
VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:38 am this might sound crazy, but what does everyone think about drafting a RB with one of our 3rd round picks?

thoughts? Crazy??
I don't think that's crazy, but I do think Abdullah and Boone are pretty solid behind Cook and Mattison, so personally I'd rather invest in the trenches and secondary.

I do think, however, that RB has slowly become undervalued in the NFL compared to the days when Mike Lynn made his infamous trade for Herschel Walker. The pendulum has swung to the other polar extreme now, where really blue chip RBs are taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. Given this fact, paired with our offensive philosophy, I can see the rationale for what you are proposing.
yep I totally agree with everything you say here. But maybe its time to be contrarians - all of these D's getting built around stopping guys like Mahomes and Rodgers that we can just wear down with multiple threats at RB! :smilevike:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:37 am
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:02 am

yep I totally agree with everything you say here. But maybe its time to be contrarians - all of these D's getting built around stopping guys like Mahomes and Rodgers that we can just wear down with multiple threats at RB! :smilevike:
It's an interesting approach, for sure, and for me it passes the common sense smell test :lol: . Concerning money, however, it might get funky to tie up so much into the position. It is a bit like the debate about QB2, honestly. Both are very important positions which therefore merit draft capital.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:39 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 am
I think the key is getting home field advantage. Last year the Packers had a bye and then had to hit the road. They were beat. IMO if the 49ers needed to travel to Green Bay then they would have been beat. That's just speculation of course but I'd take home field over anything. The two top QBs in the draft will be gone picks one and two. To get in that position we would need to trade our top 5 players and our next 6 drafts. Maybe it would take less or more but I know it would be expensive. And beyond that why would a team trade the right to get a potential super star QB? What's the benefit? They don't come out every year. IMO I'd rather do a yuck for Luck deal to get that QB. It's better than a 4 or 5 win season.
You're right. That's what I meant. Secure HFA. Basically getting the best record in the NFC which will never happen with Cousins. All this talk about how good he's doing now, we went through this last year too. There is no consistency with him. He can look good to average at times, but also look like he doesn't belong on the field too. There is no "turning the corner" with Cousins. This is who he is, it's who he's been since Washington, a headcase.

As for drafting a QB. Not sure how high he'll climb but I'd trade up for Wilson.
consistency basically means a player does close to the same thing year in and year out. Brady threw 50 TDs one year. You would think he could come close to that again. Never did or will. Rodgers who is the best in the NFC threw 45 TDs once. He should have been able to top that. Never happened. He already has 36 this year and threw 26 last year. In your view that's not consistent which basically means your not very good. Every expert has Rodgers declining but based on TD passes he's climbing big time. I see no decline in Rodgers at this point in time. I wish he would turn into a bum a guy that shouldn't be playing. That's not happening anytime soon. You're right we won't get HFA with Cousins as long as Rodgers is playing at a high level. Russell Wilson who will be a HOFer is a guy placed at the top. I never have or will see the reason for that. Last week he stood there in the pocket with nothing around him and he has happy feet. Then just runs towards the middle. He had about the cleanest pocket I have ever seen. How about hanging in there and connecting with that great rookie WR. That's inconsistency. They all have it. Rodgers looked terrible versus the 49ers in the NFC Champ game. Terrible. Jimmy G had a great 70 some yards throwing. How does a QB win a game throwing for basically no yards. We can win with Cousins but there needs to be some pieces added. Plus we still need to overtake the declining Rodgers. You need a great D for that. Give us the legion of boom and we will be good with Cousins.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

thoughts? Crazy??
Seems unlikely. Especially with losing that 2nd round pick.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

thoughts? Crazy??
It seems a waste drafting a running back, Vikings have Cook, Mattison, Boone, and Abdullah which is a pretty good group of running backs, I do not think Vikings will draft a running back in any of the rounds if Boone and Abdullah is still on the team next year
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

D-Line - ASSUMING Hunter is back at full strength, would you guys be happy going into next season with Wonnum, Stephen, Pierce, Hunter as starters....with maybe Ife/Holmes subbing for Stephen and or Pierce in obvious passing situations?
And Watts/Lynch/Hercules for depth at DT?

Or do we absolutely positively need to add a 3 Tech early in the draft??
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

thoughts? Crazy??
Not crazy in the least.

Look at Cleveland. They hammer you one series with Nick Chubb, then blast you the next with Kareem Hunt. Both those guys are on pace to rush for 1,000 yards, and they'll end up with 500 receiving yards between the two of them. Plus they've combined for 19 total TDs so far. You get 2,500 yards and 20 TDs out of the running back position, and you've got a formidable attack for sure.

The only thing the Vikings would need to match that is another productive running back they can count on for 150-200 touches. Combine that with a more manageable 200-250 touches for Dalvin Cook, and you might have something that keeps Rodgers off the field. Not only that, rookies can jump right in at running back and thrive.

I like the way you think.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

The only situation in which I see us drafting WR Chase is if we trade Thielen while he still has value and his heftier contract. I would like to keep Reiff under a team friendly deal. We need to shore up that offensive line! Also, I wouldn't mind trading Barr away to get rid of that contract and his uselessness in our scheme. Do a sign & trade with Ant Harris for a few draft picks. Bottom line, we need to improve our cap space situation.