2021 Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

2021 Draft

Post by IIsweet »

247 sports mocked LSU WR JaMar Chase to us. Paired again with JJ would make a ridiculous trio with Thielen. OMG !!! Just need an OC and HC with the mindset to attack the opposing defense. It would be like the trio of Moss, Carter, and Reed... not to mention Cook running like Robert Smith.
PUH LEEAZ. Let that happen. Would be so much fun to watch
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2021 Draft

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am all for it if that means Beebe is finally gone
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

We have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many holes to fill .... not sure WR makes much sense since we already have 2 all pro WR in a run first offense with a bad defense and a questionable OL.

Reminds me of 2005(???) when the lions took Mike Williams from USC at wr at 10 overall
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 pm We have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many holes to fill .... not sure WR makes much sense since we already have 2 all pro WR in a run first offense with a bad defense and a questionable OL.

Reminds me of 2005(???) when the lions took Mike Williams from USC at wr at 10 overall
I agree. I would much rather address the trenches, honestly. The safety from TCU (Moehring) might be a good reunion with Gladney too, if we were to trade down a bit (or do much better the rest of this season than I expect haha).

I'd really like a monster DT to line up next to Pierce next year or a DE, in case Hunter can't come back and play. In round 2, I'd like OL help, possible an interior lineman to either replace Dozier or enable Ezra to kick out to tackle in the even that Reiff is handed his papers.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Yep I agree 100%. Of course it depends on how the board unfolds, but DT, OL, S should be their top 3 priorities (of course, as you noted, depending on Hunter's status). I'd also love to see a QB with one of their 3rd round picks.

I hope the keep Reiff for 1 more year and make a realistic offer to Wilson and Hill, and make Dozier an offer for backup money.

I think Harris is gone, Jaleel Johnson is gone...not sure on Ife and Barr. It's going to be an interesting offseason!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:37 am I'd really like a monster DT to line up next to Pierce next year or a DE, in case Hunter can't come back and play. In round 2, I'd like OL help, possible an interior lineman to either replace Dozier or enable Ezra to kick out to tackle in the even that Reiff is handed his papers.
I second, third and fourth that.

The draft gives what it gives so there might not be an interior DL/OL worth the spot where the Vikes end up, but if there is I don't see how they can pass.

It seems so clear that the Vikings offense is only as good as it's offensive line. When they are opening holes for Cook and protecting Cousins the Vikings can move and score. Without that, the skill positions just languish and the offense bogs down.

Defensively, the name of the game is limiting yardage on the early downs and forcing opponents into 3rd-and-longs consistently. You can't do that without good DL play. If the game against the Bears didn't make clear how important an interior anchor against the run is, I don't know what else can. Before Hicks went out, the Vikings couldn't run at all. After he went out, the running wasn't easy, but it was much easier and it helped Cousins and the passing game.

So definitely the Vikings should look to the lines if the right guy is there. The only way I could see them departing from this is if some uber-talent falls for some reason ala Randy Moss. If that were to happen and there is a guy at a skill position who is simply too good to pass up, sure, take him. That isn't likely to happen but the draft can surprise.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:17 am
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:37 am I'd really like a monster DT to line up next to Pierce next year or a DE, in case Hunter can't come back and play. In round 2, I'd like OL help, possible an interior lineman to either replace Dozier or enable Ezra to kick out to tackle in the even that Reiff is handed his papers.
I second, third and fourth that.

The draft gives what it gives so there might not be an interior DL/OL worth the spot where the Vikes end up, but if there is I don't see how they can pass.

It seems so clear that the Vikings offense is only as good as it's offensive line. When they are opening holes for Cook and protecting Cousins the Vikings can move and score. Without that, the skill positions just languish and the offense bogs down.

Defensively, the name of the game is limiting yardage on the early downs and forcing opponents into 3rd-and-longs consistently. You can't do that without good DL play. If the game against the Bears didn't make clear how important an interior anchor against the run is, I don't know what else can. Before Hicks went out, the Vikings couldn't run at all. After he went out, the running wasn't easy, but it was much easier and it helped Cousins and the passing game.

So definitely the Vikings should look to the lines if the right guy is there. The only way I could see them departing from this is if some uber-talent falls for some reason ala Randy Moss. If that were to happen and there is a guy at a skill position who is simply too good to pass up, sure, take him. That isn't likely to happen but the draft can surprise.
In complete agreement here.

Both lines need help first. JaMar Chase is probably going to be really good, but we just addressed that need this year and hit it out of the park with JJ. Our run defense is our Achilles heel. Our offensive line is playing well when everybody's healthy, but do we really want to carry Riley Reiff at a $13.95 million cap hit? That may mean moving Ezra out to left tackle, which will leave the same gaping hole at right guard that we had before we put him there. Or if there's a franchise left tackle available, leave Ezra at guard. Whatever.

We just have positions of far greater need than another WR.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Well, I definitely seem to be in the minority in hoping they keep Reiff :smilevike:

I guess my reasons are twofold -

1. Reiff’s salary next year is high but certainly not outrageous for a competent LT. I think in terms of salary relative to performance there are better places to look on this roster (Rudolph, Harris, Barr)

2. Admittedly this might be because we’ve been so starved for competent OL play, but now that we seem to be getting it I don’t want to mess with it too much. Keep Reiff and you only have 1 question Mark for 2021- upgrade Dozier. Without Reiff you essentially have 3 question marks - Can Ezra take over successfully at LT, Dozier, RG vacated by Ezra.

For those that want Reiff gone is it more based on salary? Or do you think he’s just ok but not good enough to take us where we want to be (and you're very confident that Ezra will be a big improvement at LT)??

Honestly not trying to start an argument. I just respect your opinions and am very interested in your feedback on Reiff! :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:20 pm Well, I definitely seem to be in the minority in hoping they keep Reiff :smilevike:

I guess my reasons are twofold -

1. Reiff’s salary next year is high but certainly not outrageous for a competent LT. I think in terms of salary relative to performance there are better places to look on this roster (Rudolph, Harris, Barr)

2. Admittedly this might be because we’ve been so starved for competent OL play, but now that we seem to be getting it I don’t want to mess with it too much. Keep Reiff and you only have 1 question Mark for 2021- upgrade Dozier. Without Reiff you essentially have 3 question marks - Can Ezra take over successfully at LT, Dozier, RG vacated by Ezra.

For those that want Reiff gone is it more based on salary? Or do you think he’s just ok but not good enough to take us where we want to be (and you're very confident that Ezra will be a big improvement at LT)??

Honestly not trying to start an argument. I just respect your opinions and am very interested in your feedback on Reiff! :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:
I like your line of thinking with not messing with the chemistry that we have at OL and that Reiff isn't insanely overpaid for his position. I'd rather use the draft capital of a first round for our DL, especially interior and possibly a second rounder on a guard. Knowing Zimmer, he's going to have an itchy trigger finger for a CB or safety (or both, especially if Harris walks), so I'd love it if Rick were to trade UP for another 2nd, instead of trading down for a billion 7th round picks.

Edit to add: I really hope Jaleel doesn't leave. He's finally emerged a bit this year and I feel like he has decent upside. He shouldn't be too expensive to keep, I wouldn't think.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Trade up and get a future QB. Vikings aren't going anywhere with Cousins. He'll have his spurt where he plays well. Vikings will maybe squeeze into the playoffs and lose again. Cousins will struggle early in the season next year and the Vikings will have no chance of getting a 1st round bye. That's the key to winning the SB. Getting a 1st round bye. The Vikings will never achieve that with Cousins. He's a headcase. Every meaningless win now moves the team further and further away from their goal.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What pick does this website have us at? Chase is the top receiver in the draft and could go within the first 5 picks. Definitely the first 10.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:59 pm Trade up and get a future QB. Vikings aren't going anywhere with Cousins. He'll have his spurt where he plays well. Vikings will maybe squeeze into the playoffs and lose again. Cousins will struggle early in the season next year and the Vikings will have no chance of getting a 1st round bye. That's the key to winning the SB. Getting a 1st round bye. The Vikings will never achieve that with Cousins. He's a headcase. Every meaningless win now moves the team further and further away from their goal.
That makes no sense because 1998 Vikings, 2009 Vikings, and 2017 Vikings had a first round bye and never made it to the Superbowl
Last edited by RandyMoss84 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:14 pm What pick does this website have us at? Chase is the top receiver in the draft and could go within the first 5 picks. Definitely the first 10.
Vikings have #14th pick
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:59 pm Trade up and get a future QB. Vikings aren't going anywhere with Cousins. He'll have his spurt where he plays well. Vikings will maybe squeeze into the playoffs and lose again. Cousins will struggle early in the season next year and the Vikings will have no chance of getting a 1st round bye. That's the key to winning the SB. Getting a 1st round bye. The Vikings will never achieve that with Cousins. He's a headcase. Every meaningless win now moves the team further and further away from their goal.
I think the key is getting home field advantage. Last year the Packers had a bye and then had to hit the road. They were beat. IMO if the 49ers needed to travel to Green Bay then they would have been beat. That's just speculation of course but I'd take home field over anything. The two top QBs in the draft will be gone picks one and two. To get in that position we would need to trade our top 5 players and our next 6 drafts. Maybe it would take less or more but I know it would be expensive. And beyond that why would a team trade the right to get a potential super star QB? What's the benefit? They don't come out every year. IMO I'd rather do a yuck for Luck deal to get that QB. It's better than a 4 or 5 win season.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

They had us finished at 9. Have people seen JaMar Chase ??? He's better than JJ !!! He's compared to Julio Jones and AJ Green in their prime.
I know that need OL, but I also say we keep Reiff. I would let Rudy, Barr, Harris walk. Going to have to entertain letting Smith walk too. Too much $.
Honestly Greggory Rousseau of Miami would be an awesome DE. Even the Pitt DT who is being compared to Aaron Donald.
I was just saying how fun it would be to add Chase. Thielen is 30 years old. Offensive talent would be off the charts.