RC's Honest Look At The Vikings Remaining Schedule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: RC's Honest Look At The Vikings Remaining Schedule

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 am
Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:54 am Alright, gentlemen, we can breathe a little easier because the Cardinals lost to the Seahawks tonight. We need to capitalize by winning on Sunday.
Yep. No way the Sea Chickens win 13 games.

See, this is why I normally refrain from making predictions. I suck at them!
Hope you don't suck this time Kapp. I wanna see you spot here . I have told people in the past that I absolutely hate the Saints, Pukers, Cowgirls and Seachickens. When they ask " Who do you hate the most? " I answer unequivocally with a big fat "YES"
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:32 am
YikesVikes wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm

LMAO. J-Kapp knows how highly I think of him. A difference of opinion doesn't ruin relationships to me. He and are will always respectful disagree. We agree more than we disagree I think. If you want to see a fight... revive the PHP and I post on Hakeem Butler
Having some fun with the back n forth. It's cool when members can disagree but still have fun with it and remain civil.
Believe me I am well aware of some of the other situations where members don't agree and do NOT remain cool about it. I won't mention names but anyone who regularly posts here knows. Lol
Hell a year ago a (or maybe even longer cuz when u hit my age time is hard to keep track of) I suddenly ended up being pulled into that situation. Well, myself and a few other members who became the target of one individual. That deal actually became the final straw for that member because he was banned and has never returned.
So keep on keeping on. Lol. We are all here because we share the same thing, a crazy fanatical love of all things Purple, and the dream of seeing the Sacred Lombardi Trophy to find a home in Minny.
SKOL VIKINGS
Is it Jordysghost? Is that who it was, because I swear that's the only person I can think of rn.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

A few plays go against us, this team could easily be 1-8 right now. if an obvious PI call wasn't missed against the Packers, the catch had stood at the end of the Houston game, or if Foles could have hit a wide open WR at the end of the Bears game we are still looking at battling for the Jets for the #1 overall pick. They could also be 6-3 if not for an incredible come from behind win by Seattle and a close come from behind loss against TN or people would be talking about us as a contender.

To me this means this team is as good as the record they currently have. Not horrible, the good coaching and great play from the RB are making it impossible for this team to be THAT bad, but not a team that could compete for anything. A 7-9, 8-8 team with no 2nd round pick and no cap space to get better next season.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:09 pm A few plays go against us, this team could easily be 1-8 right now. if an obvious PI call wasn't missed against the Packers, the catch had stood at the end of the Houston game, or if Foles could have hit a wide open WR at the end of the Bears game we are still looking at battling for the Jets for the #1 overall pick. They could also be 6-3 if not for an incredible come from behind win by Seattle and a close come from behind loss against TN or people would be talking about us as a contender.

To me this means this team is as good as the record they currently have. Not horrible, the good coaching and great play from the RB are making it impossible for this team to be THAT bad, but not a team that could compete for anything. A 7-9, 8-8 team with no 2nd round pick and no cap space to get better next season.
The record is not the focus of my observations. The relative progression of the various parts of the team that were struggling to start the season is, along with the reason for my optimism about the rest of this season.

The trend lines for most of the areas of the team that significantly struggled is heading in the right direction. As you note - a few more breaks in individual games produces a wild swing in overall record at this point, but if you focus instead on the improvement of the OL over the last several games and the consequent improvements in the effectiveness of the running and passing components of the offense, it should be cause for hope.

Ditto for the relative improvement of the defensive secondary and even the play of the front 7. The defense was very shaky over the first quarter of the season, but they've looked more consistent overall coming out of the bye. Does that mean they're destined for greatness or that the Vikings are going to run the table the rest of the season? Of course not. Does it mean we at least have some hope for better days ahead and that there is the possibility of finishing strong? Of course.

In my view the only part of the team that continues to play poorly is the special teams. That has been and will be costly if they can't get it ironed out and could effectively counter the offensive and defensive improvements to this point. Still, if the other two aspects of the team can get better, I believe the special teams can too.

So yeah, I don't think anyone believes the 2020 Vikings have turned the corner and are now one of the better teams in the league, but I also don't think anyone can credibly claim that they're among the worst teams in the league anymore, nor should they not have cause for optimism.

They're playing better overall. There are more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic at this point.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:05 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:32 am

Having some fun with the back n forth. It's cool when members can disagree but still have fun with it and remain civil.
Believe me I am well aware of some of the other situations where members don't agree and do NOT remain cool about it. I won't mention names but anyone who regularly posts here knows. Lol
Hell a year ago a (or maybe even longer cuz when u hit my age time is hard to keep track of) I suddenly ended up being pulled into that situation. Well, myself and a few other members who became the target of one individual. That deal actually became the final straw for that member because he was banned and has never returned.
So keep on keeping on. Lol. We are all here because we share the same thing, a crazy fanatical love of all things Purple, and the dream of seeing the Sacred Lombardi Trophy to find a home in Minny.
SKOL VIKINGS
Is it Jordysghost? Is that who it was, because I swear that's the only person I can think of rn.
No it wasn't JordyGhost. I think I will refrain from saying who it was... and just drink a nice big glass of Koolaid :D
You understand don't ya????
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:22 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:05 pm

No it wasn't JordyGhost. I think I will refrain from saying who it was... and just drink a nice big glass of Koolaid :D
You understand don't ya????
I’m pretty sure I’m the one who drove JordysGhost away. I’m almost ashamed to say that I was brutal to that guy. But he was a Packer fan residing on this board, so I should be eligible for some sort of absolution.

I remember when Adam Thielen was about to break out. I told JG that he would be a better player than his man-crush Jordy Nelson. I’m pretty sure he damn near popped an aneurysm over that one. But as it turns out, you’d be hard-pressed to argue I was wrong.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Despite the ugly game, we win and are now one game out of the playoff picture!

Let's see how we could possibly win this:

1.) If we go 10-6, and the Packers go 10-6. We win the NFC North if the Packers lose to the Bears twice.

2.) If we go 10-6 and the Packers go 10-6 or better and beat the Bears, and the Cardinals go 10-6 too: We make playoffs if...

Buccaneers lose to the Chiefs, Vikings, and finish the season 10-6 or less (Should the Cardinals Beat LA Twice, they make playoffs as well).

Rams Beat Cardinals once, and defeat at least San Francisco, New England, and the Jets.

3.) If we go 9-7 and the Cardinals go 9-7:

As long as we beat the Bears and Lions again, we hold the tiebreaker over Arizona and are dependent on the Green Bay Packers defeating the Bears at least once (should they go 9-7 too). Hate to say it, but if we lose another game, we want the Packers to win over the Bears to save our season. :wallbang:

4.) If the Minnesota Vikings and Arizona Cardinals both go 8-8:

We need the Packers to beat the Bears twice, and not only that, the Panthers must lose at least one game for the Minnesota Vikings to claim the 7th Seed.

What do you think, guys? As improbable as these odds seem, I feel like we can do this. Let's go!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Apparently as of right now the odds of a playoff berth are 22%.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

S197 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:17 pm Apparently as of right now the odds of a playoff berth are 22%.
In the words of Han Solo:

"Never tell me the odds."
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:04 pm Despite the ugly game, we win and are now one game out of the playoff picture!

I think they need to win out. Though, as you just pointed out, 9-7 would still be possible, it would take too many unlikely upsets by the teams ahead of us for that scenario to work out. Now...if any games get canceled because of Covid, a 4th Wild Card will be added. That would open the door a crack more.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:41 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:04 pm Despite the ugly game, we win and are now one game out of the playoff picture!

I think they need to win out. Though, as you just pointed out, 9-7 would still be possible, it would take too many unlikely upsets by the teams ahead of us for that scenario to work out. Now...if any games get canceled because of Covid, a 4th Wild Card will be added. That would open the door a crack more.
You're absolutely right, if the Ravens/Steelers game gets cancelled, we're pretty much almost gifted a playoff spot without hassle.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

As I looked more closely at the remaining schedules, I'm a little more hopeful that 9-7 could land a playoff spot. The team to root against from here on out is Arizona. If they go 2-3, I think that we will get in at 9-7.

vs. Rams
at Giants
vs. Eagles
vs. 49ers
at Rams
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 pm As I looked more closely at the remaining schedules, I'm a little more hopeful that 9-7 could land a playoff spot. The team to root against from here on out is Arizona. If they go 2-3, I think that we will get in at 9-7.

vs. Rams
at Giants
vs. Eagles
vs. 49ers
at Rams
I easily see them losing to the Rams twice, and with the 49ers surprise upset of the Rams, I think they could steal a win over the Cardinals.