Vikings in full tank mode - trade Ngakoue

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings in full tank mode - trade Ngakoue

Post by Crax »

Tom Pelissero
The #Vikings are trading DE Yannick Ngakoue to the #Ravens for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2022, per source.
Now we really won't be getting any pressure up front.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings in full tank mode - trade Ngakoue

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Crax wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am
Tom Pelissero
The #Vikings are trading DE Yannick Ngakoue to the #Ravens for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2022, per source.
What in gods name did we just do??!!!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:10 am
Gave up? Traded for a guy in august and now re-traded him mid season, from media reports, sounds like this may not be all.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Think we can get that much value from Harrison Smith as well?
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

I am guessing all parties had a frank discussion, and Ngakoue told the Vikes he would not re-sign into this mess.
What did we just do? We cut our losses. Should be a very interesting remainder of season!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

kidfozzy. wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 am Think we can get that much value from Harrison Smith as well?
Trading some guys away is one thing but we still need to quality veteran leadership as well. Trade Harris if anyone, not Smith
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

psjordan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:17 am

I am guessing all parties had a frank discussion, and Ngakoue told the Vikes he would not re-sign into this mess.
What did we just do? We cut our losses. Should be a very interesting remainder of season!
I doubt it. However, I think they are quickly entering full re-build mode. Expect Reiff and Harris to be traded before the deadline.

However who knows at this point. This one really ticks me off. Knowing the Vikings they will keep their dog crap OL together and not trade Reiff but lets go trade a stud like Ngakoue :roll:
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Should've thrown in Zimmer too.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am
I doubt it. However, I think they are quickly entering full re-build mode. Expect Reiff and Harris to be traded before the deadline.

However who knows at this point. This one really ticks me off. Knowing the Vikings they will keep their dog crap OL together and not trade Reiff but lets go trade a stud like Ngakoue :roll:
I am guessing Mark Wilf, Rick and Zim discussed getting Pierce and Hunter back next season, and if they felt Ngakoue was not coming back then it makes perfect sense to trade him now for whatever you can get. So it cost us what, $3M and moving from a #2 to a #3 to have Ngakoue play about 4.5 games for us. Doesn't look good on anyone's resume.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

psjordan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:38 am

I am guessing Mark Wilf, Rick and Zim discussed getting Pierce and Hunter back next season, and if they felt Ngakoue was not coming back then it makes perfect sense to trade him now for whatever you can get. So it cost us what, $3M and moving from a #2 to a #3 to have Ngakoue play about 4.5 games for us. Doesn't look good on anyone's resume.
That 2nd is looking like a top 2nd round pick and that 3rd is more like a 4th - basically we lost 50ish spots and $3M for 6 games (1 win) of Yannick.

Agree with the OP, we're clearly tanking now. Why hold onto Zimmer?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 am
psjordan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:38 am

That 2nd is looking like a top 2nd round pick and that 3rd is more like a 4th - basically we lost 50ish spots and $3M for 6 games (1 win) of Yannick.

Agree with the OP, we're clearly tanking now. Why hold onto Zimmer?
Closer to 8 million. The trade only made sense if the Vikings could afford him next year, which they can't, which they knew they couldn't when they made the trade.

Rick is an idiot and I have no idea how anyone still defends that clown.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

TSonn wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 am we're clearly tanking now
I'm not sure I agree with this, either the "on the surface" view or the "hidden meanings" view.

IOW I see a perfectly logical meeting being held where they are discussing this year being a failure and where will we stand next year. Logically, we should be getting two big pieces of the DL back next year. Who knows what Ngakoue said he wanted after the $12M this year? It would follow that if Ngakoue can't help us get wins this year, then let's trade him now. That's the "on the surface" view.

Hidden meanings? Are we tanking? Should we cut bait on everything/everyone not performing on this team? No, I don't think that's what is going on. Getting rid of a DL that might be asking $20M+ in the coming years when we need to eat Cousins money for a few years is a very logical, non-tank thing for a 1-5 team to do, IMO.

I could be wrong.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

psjordan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:51 am
TSonn wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 am we're clearly tanking now
I'm not sure I agree with this, either the "on the surface" view or the "hidden meanings" view.

I could be wrong.
Well...I don't think they are trying to win now, so I guess you could say that's not necessarily tanking, and Spielman is saying that as well, but you don't trade for 2021/2022 picks in a win now situation.
Rick Spielman isn't calling this a rebuilding situation. "You want to win as many games as you can and that's going to be our objective for the year." #Vikings
If this is the only move, I'll agree it's not a tank, but if we end up moving a bunch of pieces it's a full rebuild, and honestly, maybe it should be at this point. I guess you can say rebuild vs tank, and maybe rebuild would be more fair.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Well if we are going to lose let's just do it. Half in half out doesnt work in the NFL.

They wasted this past off season. Could have torn down the roster and not handed out a bunch of dumb extensions.
Last edited by makila on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

No other GM is dumb enough in this league to trade for Reiff under his current contract. Arguably a bottom 20-25 starting tackle in the league getting paid like a top 10.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson