Cousins in the “big games”

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raz
Veteran

Re: Cousins in the “big games”

Post by Raz »

he is a head case maybe he should get drunk for a week to clear his mind
Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Cousins in the “big gam

Post by Foreman44 »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am
Foreman44 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm IMO, Cousins needs a Top 5 elite offensive line blocking for him to succeed.

He is ok if the teams defense is holding the opposing team with low points.

But he is not the ab like Rogers, Favre, Brady,Brees.when trailing by 10 or more points.that is going to drive this team to a win.
He doesn't need an elite line. He needs a solid line, one that is not a turnstile interiorly. He is what he is. A very good QB. He knows what to do and when to do it. He knows where his receivers should be and when they should be there. He makes the reads and progressions. He has the tools. But he needs to have his receivers be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there because that is how he prepares to play. The guy plans his day in 15 minute increments. He has to trust the receiver will be there, cause he's throwing it there because that is the right read. Its there if the receiver is. I don't think he has that trust with any of the receivers yet other than Theiland right now. So he doesn't make that throw. You can see him pull off those throws all the time now. Its different this year. He needs a line that can reliably give him the extra .5-1 second extra for the play to develop as it is designed because that's how he plays the game. Probably because that is just the way he is wired but also because, although more athletic than you think, he lacks the Wilson/Mahomes/Steve Young, escape gene. He just doesn't have that elusive thing that makes a really good QB, that guy. So solidify two positions on the O line and we have a solid, not elite line. That's enough.
Fireman44

Digs, Thielen, and even rookie Jefferson have no problems being where they are supposed to be there...,then what about the others.

Cousins is like a rotting sack of potatoes for defensive players, Yes cousins c an pass for 300 yard games, how often does he come from behind, driving the team when trailing. I have seen numerous QBs, trailing by a couple tds time getting short, drive there team to victory, how many Times has Cousins.. He doesn’t have that Brady, Brees, Favre,Rodgers,and other drive for comeback.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Re: Cousins in the “big gam

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Foreman44 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:52 am
Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am

He doesn't need an elite line. He needs a solid line, one that is not a turnstile interiorly. He is what he is. A very good QB. He knows what to do and when to do it. He knows where his receivers should be and when they should be there. He makes the reads and progressions. He has the tools. But he needs to have his receivers be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there because that is how he prepares to play. The guy plans his day in 15 minute increments. He has to trust the receiver will be there, cause he's throwing it there because that is the right read. Its there if the receiver is. I don't think he has that trust with any of the receivers yet other than Theiland right now. So he doesn't make that throw. You can see him pull off those throws all the time now. Its different this year. He needs a line that can reliably give him the extra .5-1 second extra for the play to develop as it is designed because that's how he plays the game. Probably because that is just the way he is wired but also because, although more athletic than you think, he lacks the Wilson/Mahomes/Steve Young, escape gene. He just doesn't have that elusive thing that makes a really good QB, that guy. So solidify two positions on the O line and we have a solid, not elite line. That's enough.
Fireman44

Digs, Thielen, and even rookie Jefferson have no problems being where they are supposed to be there...,then what about the others.

Cousins is like a rotting sack of potatoes for defensive players, Yes cousins c an pass for 300 yard games, how often does he come from behind, driving the team when trailing. I have seen numerous QBs, trailing by a couple tds time getting short, drive there team to victory, how many Times has Cousins.. He doesn’t have that Brady, Brees, Favre,Rodgers,and other drive for comeback.
He sucks. I know.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple Reign wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:44 am

I mean yeah I will criticize Jimmy G. I criticized Cousins this week. If a guy plays a bad game I have no problem calling that out. I know many SF fans arent thrilled with Jimmy G. Hell, rumor has it their coach isnt even thrilled with him and rumor has it, wanted Cousins more than Garoppolo.
Hah - Garoppolo took the 49er's to the Super Bowl last year and could have won it if not for some conservative play calling (which comes from the coaches). I'll take Garoppolo over Cousins any day. Kind of low comparing a bad game from Garappolo because of an injury to Cousins with no excuse.
That's like saying Case Keenum led the Vikings to the NFC championship. Or Nick Foles won the Eagles a SB. Just because that happened, doesnt mean they are a good QB. And let's be honest, SF was hands down one of the best defenses in football last year, if not the best. No different than the Vikings defense with Keenum. Jimmy G did just enough to get by last year. Again, there is a reason SF fans arent happy with him. There is a reason rumors are flying around about Jimmy G/Shanahan. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, but he's certainly not a great one.

He craps his pants just as bad as Cousins does under pressure.
Garoppolo is the first of two quarterbacks to end this list who saw massive splits when kept clean compared to when under pressure, yet faced pressure at one of the lowest rates in the NFL. A time to throw of 2.58 seconds (fourth-lowest in the NFL) had something to do with that. The problem for Garoppolo wasn’t necessarily efficiency when pressure did get home; it was the big mistakes he made.

His 7.3 yards per pressured pass attempt ranked seventh among all quarterbacks, but his 12 turnover-worthy plays on only 174 pressured dropbacks ranked in the bottom 10 in the NFL. Cleaning up some of those mistakes is the next step in his progression as the team’s franchise quarterback.
....all that with one of the better OLs in football last year.

SFs success last year went as follows:

1.) They had the #2 defense in the NFL and were straight up dominant in many games
2.) They had the #2 rushing offense in the NFL and the most rushing TDs of any team in the NFL
3.) Whatever Jimmy G could add through the air was a bonus. He was 7th in the NFL in interceptions and 8th in the NFL in fumbles.

...I think it's quite obvious how SF got to the SB last year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:52 am
Purple Reign wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am

Hah - Garoppolo took the 49er's to the Super Bowl last year and could have won it if not for some conservative play calling (which comes from the coaches). I'll take Garoppolo over Cousins any day. Kind of low comparing a bad game from Garappolo because of an injury to Cousins with no excuse.
That's like saying Case Keenum led the Vikings to the NFC championship. Or Nick Foles won the Eagles a SB. Just because that happened, doesnt mean they are a good QB. And let's be honest, SF was hands down one of the best defenses in football last year, if not the best. No different than the Vikings defense with Keenum. Jimmy G did just enough to get by last year. Again, there is a reason SF fans arent happy with him. There is a reason rumors are flying around about Jimmy G/Shanahan. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, but he's certainly not a great one.

Garoppolo is the first of two quarterbacks to end this list who saw massive splits when kept clean compared to when under pressure, yet faced pressure at one of the lowest rates in the NFL. A time to throw of 2.58 seconds (fourth-lowest in the NFL) had something to do with that. The problem for Garoppolo wasn’t necessarily efficiency when pressure did get home; it was the big mistakes he made.

His 7.3 yards per pressured pass attempt ranked seventh among all quarterbacks, but his 12 turnover-worthy plays on only 174 pressured dropbacks ranked in the bottom 10 in the NFL. Cleaning up some of those mistakes is the next step in his progression as the team’s franchise quarterback.

1.) They had the #2 defense in the NFL and were straight up dominant in many games
2.) They had the #2 rushing offense in the NFL and the most rushing TDs of any team in the NFL
3.) Whatever Jimmy G could add through the air was a bonus. He was 7th in the NFL in interceptions and 8th in the NFL in fumbles.

Foreman44”

What has case keenum done since, Bounce one team to another,,
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:44 am
Purple Reign wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 pm

Are you really going to criticize Jimmy G last week when he tried to play through a high ankle sprain and couldn't even plant his back foot to throw a pass? I see Cousins reverted back to form this week against Atlanta and racked up a bunch of garbage time stats. :lol: Also Jimmy G got a win tonight against a good Rams team.
I mean yeah I will criticize Jimmy G. I criticized Cousins this week. If a guy plays a bad game I have no problem calling that out. I know many SF fans arent thrilled with Jimmy G. Hell, rumor has it their coach isnt even thrilled with him and rumor has it, wanted Cousins more than Garoppolo.
MAKE THE DEAL!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Foreman44 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:52 am

Foreman44”

What has case keenum done since, Bounce one team to another,,
Right exactly! Just because a QB gets to a SB or makes a run with a team, it doesnt automatically mean they are a good QB. You need to look at all factors surrounding the QB before slapping that label on him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:52 am That's like saying Case Keenum led the Vikings to the NFC championship. Or Nick Foles won the Eagles a SB. Just because that happened, doesnt mean they are a good QB.
For the record, Case Keenum DID lead the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game. Yes, he stunk in that game and hasn't had a good season before or since. But he did have a good year in 2017, and the Vikings made the NFCC game. So I think it's fair to say he led the Vikings to the game. I mean, what if Sean Mannion had been Sam Bradford's backup?

Also for the record, Nick Foles wasn't exactly like Trent Dilfer in 2000. He was the MVP of that Super Bowl, throwing for 373 yards and 3 TDs, plus catching a TD, against Belichick's Patriots. So from where I sit, Foles DID win the Eagles a SB. And he's not doing too shabby with the Bears, as much as I hate to give the Bears credit for anything.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Also, if Kyle Shanahan loves Kirk Cousins so much that he'd trade Jimmy G. straight up for him, I'd do that in a minute ... if for no other reason than to get out from under the albatross that is Cousins' contract. The Vikings could cut Garoppolo before 2021 at a dead cap hit of $2.8 million.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:08 pm Also, if Kyle Shanahan loves Kirk Cousins so much that he'd trade Jimmy G. straight up for him, I'd do that in a minute ... if for no other reason than to get out from under the albatross that is Cousins' contract. The Vikings could cut Garoppolo before 2021 at a dead cap hit of $2.8 million.
I'd trade Cousins straight up for Josh Freeman right now. And that's not hyperbole, literally anything to get out of that contract would be beneficial to this team. And precisely why no one will ever trade for him.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Everybody knows the contract is a total albatross and if Cousins keeps playing the way he's playing now, if we try to send him to another team, we're going to get extorted big time. The terms of the initial contract and the extension are horrifying. Spielman doubled down on Cousins and #### this team for years to come.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:05 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:52 am That's like saying Case Keenum led the Vikings to the NFC championship. Or Nick Foles won the Eagles a SB. Just because that happened, doesnt mean they are a good QB.
For the record, Case Keenum DID lead the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game. Yes, he stunk in that game and hasn't had a good season before or since. But he did have a good year in 2017, and the Vikings made the NFCC game. So I think it's fair to say he led the Vikings to the game. I mean, what if Sean Mannion had been Sam Bradford's backup?

Also for the record, Nick Foles wasn't exactly like Trent Dilfer in 2000. He was the MVP of that Super Bowl, throwing for 373 yards and 3 TDs, plus catching a TD, against Belichick's Patriots. So from where I sit, Foles DID win the Eagles a SB. And he's not doing too shabby with the Bears, as much as I hate to give the Bears credit for anything.
Foreman44

Nick Foles played for an injured Wentz,he played with a top defensive team during playoffs... He played outstandingly well. He got the job done... I will not knock Foles for those accomplishments that SB year,...Bas he been that pro bowl qb since. Maybe this year.

As I mentioned before....What has Cousins done since but bounce around team to team... I will not knock Keenum as well for the accomplishments That NFCC game season,....I also think this team had such great chemistry that year...keenum was a great fit, everything went right,

I guess the question is... Could he have maintained that chemistry. But he would have probably done as well as the QBs since...
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I think what frustrates me is when a player/team has all the ingredients to be successful, but fail to ever each their potential. Cousins fits in this category for me. One of the guys on Fox said about Cousins "He like a box of chocolates. You don't know which one you're gonna get". And that pretty much says it all. I don't think it matters what kind of team he's on. Even if Cousins is on a great team, he'll find those ways to lose those certain percentage of games (usually the important ones).

Last year, when their was so much debate about Cousins versus Keenum/Bridgewater, my biggest argument wasn't that Keenum was a BETTER quarterback...it was that when he is placed on a very gifted team surrounding him, he can win. I don't believe that is true about Cousins. He'll have a lot of those games where he might look better losing than Keenum looked when he was winning, but the bottom line in that one of them won and the other one can't.

I said that I didn't think the Vikings are going to win with him, and I still say that. He's not a winner. On top of that, we have the double whammy now because I now feel the same way about Zimmer. At this point, I just want to hit the Fast Forward button to the point where Zimmer and Cousins are gone. That way I will have HOPE again.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Having a good year and being a good QB are two very different things. Sure Foles played well in the SB but let's be honest, when Foles took over, he took over an 11-2 team that Carson Wentz and a defense carried. Foles had to do one thing when he took over....not F up. As for Keenum, when you have the #1 defense in the NFL and a top running game in the NFL, you need to do one thing.....not F up. When Jimmy G has the best defense in the NFL and the #2 run offense, he needs to do one thing....not F up.

The OP blew up Jimmy G because he "nearly won the SB". Well Dan Marino NEVER won one. Peyton Manning won 2 (practically 1 because his 2nd one he was atrocious). Is Nick Foles ever going to be in the same conversation as Peyton Manning? Even if you took away Peytons Denver SB....no, never. My point is, just because you "take your team far" doesnt mean you are a good QB. It just doesnt. What you do over a career shows what kind of QB or player in general you are. Nobody will ever talk about Case Keenum being great, or even good for that matter because of the 2017 season. Why? Because he's a one year wonder. Nobody will ever talk about Jimmy G because he "nearly won a SB". Or even Foles just because he won one. Nobody talks about Trent Dilfer or Doug Williams. People will forever talk about the greats like Manning, Brady, Favre, etc. because they were exceptional throughout 95% of their career. Not one season.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:55 am I think what frustrates me is when a player/team has all the ingredients to be successful, but fail to ever each their potential. Cousins fits in this category for me. One of the guys on Fox said about Cousins "He like a box of chocolates. You don't know which one you're gonna get". And that pretty much says it all. I don't think it matters what kind of team he's on. Even if Cousins is on a great team, he'll find those ways to lose those certain percentage of games (usually the important ones).

Last year, when their was so much debate about Cousins versus Keenum/Bridgewater, my biggest argument wasn't that Keenum was a BETTER quarterback...it was that when he is placed on a very gifted team surrounding him, he can win. I don't believe that is true about Cousins. He'll have a lot of those games where he might look better losing than Keenum looked when he was winning, but the bottom line in that one of them won and the other one can't.

I said that I didn't think the Vikings are going to win with him, and I still say that. He's not a winner. On top of that, we have the double whammy now because I now feel the same way about Zimmer. At this point, I just want to hit the Fast Forward button to the point where Zimmer and Cousins are gone. That way I will have HOPE again.
Since you probably listen to a lot of Eagle chatter where you live, any chance the Eagles are ready to give up on Wentz and trade for Cousins? They owe us one for the SB we gifted them.