Fire everyone and start all over please

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Fire everyone and start all over please

Post by Texas Vike »

psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 am So no, three INT's with two tipped? probably does not call for benching the starting QB in my book. Four INT's directly into DB's hands, I'd pull Cousins and put you in.
Two weren't tipped, only the third INT was tipped, and that is also on Kirk, IMO. His pocket awareness is #### and he proved it once again on that play. Admittedly, our OL sucks balls, but Kirk is so frustratingly bad at perceiving and reacting to pressure.

I could probably give Mannion a run for his money. I'd rather roll with a younger guy that actually has some upside. Mannion isn't going to do anything but hold a mean clipboard.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I wonder if Zimmer has a connection with Andrew Luck like Childress had with Favre. How great would it be to get Luck out of retirement to play for us? I'd forgive all of Zimmer's faults if he could pull that off.

In all seriousness - I think this season is a big L no matter who is playing QB. We'd probably be better off cutting Kirk since I don't see us being a contender in the next few years anyway. Here's the list of guys I would be interested in:

Rosen
Mariota
RGIII
Kaep

Rosen/Mariota need a comeback tour and could be good for a while. RGIII and Kaep would simply be more fun to watch on Sundays. In either case, I'd still draft a high QB this year.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 pm I wonder if Zimmer has a connection with Andrew Luck like Childress had with Favre. How great would it be to get Luck out of retirement to play for us? I'd forgive all of Zimmer's faults if he could pull that off.

In all seriousness - I think this season is a big L no matter who is playing QB. We'd probably be better off cutting Kirk since I don't see us being a contender in the next few years anyway. Here's the list of guys I would be interested in:

Rosen
Mariota
RGIII
Kaep

Rosen/Mariota need a comeback tour and could be good for a while. RGIII and Kaep would simply be more fun to watch on Sundays. In either case, I'd still draft a high QB this year.
Mariota would be serviceable out of that group. RGIII is a solid backup.

Rosen and Kaep aren't good enough to make an NFL roster atm.

I might take a shot at Darnold to compete with a rookie if I had my preference. Cousins for Darnold straight up would be ideal.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:58 pm
TSonn wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 pm I wonder if Zimmer has a connection with Andrew Luck like Childress had with Favre. How great would it be to get Luck out of retirement to play for us? I'd forgive all of Zimmer's faults if he could pull that off.

Rosen
Mariota
RGIII
Kaep

I might take a shot at Darnold to compete with a rookie if I had my preference. Cousins for Darnold straight up would be ideal.
No way I want Darnold, he is worse than Cousins and Mannion
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:56 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:58 pm

No way I want Darnold, he is worse than Cousins and Mannion
Probably, but he is cheaper and has more upside than Cousins. That Jets team is just so bad around him and his coaching staffs have been so terrible, it is possible he might be the next Steve Young. Or he might just suck regardless of his team.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am 2021 negative cap space available:
Saints
Eagles
Falcons

Steelers
Chiefs
Rams
Texans
Vikings

Raiders

Underlined are 4 teams that have 1 win apiece. This terrible cap management, more than poor drafting, is a sign of a bad GM imo.

Even if the Vikings cut Reiff, Barr, Rudy, and Stephen they are 12 million under the cap(after signing their rookies) with no starting LT, SAM, 3 tech or safety next season.

That isn't the HC's coaches fault, that is on the GM.
I agree. It is on the GM 100%.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am

It is not possible for team hard up against the cap to be devoid of talent. There is plenty of talent on the team and, I would argue, there has been plenty of talent on this team for the duration of Spielman's time here.

Spielman may not be the most astute GM in the NFL, but he's not a blind monkey throwing darts at a wall.

In my view what has held Spielman back as a GM is that he takes big risks, many of which seem to be based on hope rather than shrewd calculation. He swings for the fences and while he hits some monster home runs that make the highlight reels, his on base percentage sucks. The teams he's built reflect this. They either hit or miss, and this season so far is turning out to be perhaps his biggest miss yet.
I see what you are saying, and the devoid was a bit of hyperbole. There is some talent, just not close to being enough.

2021 negative cap space available:
Saints
Eagles
Falcons

Steelers
Chiefs
Rams
Texans
Vikings

Raiders

Underlined are 4 teams that have 1 win apiece. This terrible cap management, more than poor drafting, is a sign of a bad GM imo.

Even if the Vikings cut Reiff, Barr, Rudy, and Stephen they are 12 million under the cap(after signing their rookies) with no starting LT, SAM, 3 tech or safety next season.

Two of the four underlined have already fired their GM this season too. And coach. Eric Bieniemy for HC.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:07 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am 2021 negative cap space available:
Saints
Eagles
Falcons

Steelers
Chiefs
Rams
Texans
Vikings

Raiders

I thought Spielman and Brzezinski were "Executive VP" peers? No?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It's the year after the Minneapolis Miracle. This team gets to the NFCC game with Case Keenum. Almost every guy on defense is coming back. Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, and Cook are your weapons. You just paid a guy $100M fully guaranteed to be your QB.

You look at this team and ask, where's the hole? It's pretty unanimous. Guard. All the talking heads are saying it. The mock drafts. This board. We need a guard. Our pick is up at there's a number of solid choices.

And we take Mike Hughes. Then proceed to not take a guard until the 6th round. And then cut the guy.

Mike Hughes. Injury prone, no self-confidence, undersized Mike Hughes. This is the guy that Rick couldn't pass up on. And what happened after we drafted Mike Hughes? All the smart GMs scooped up the guards.

That level of incompetence happens way too often with Rick. The Cousins extension I've repeated ad nauseum but there are many more. Think about Favre. The guy is 41 years old. He's going to retire. We have guys flying on private jets begging him to play one more year. The writing on the wall could not have been clearer. Who did Rick draft at QB that year? No one. Then he retires and it's oh my God we have no one, time to panic and draft literally anyone.

But hey, the guy drafts a Stefon Diggs every 5 years so let's just ignore all the rest. No, dude needs to go. He needed to go years ago.
FredJohnson22
Practice Squad

Post by FredJohnson22 »

makila wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am
I see what you are saying, and the devoid was a bit of hyperbole. There is some talent, just not close to being enough.

2021 negative cap space available:
Saints
Eagles
Falcons

Steelers
Chiefs
Rams
Texans
Vikings

Raiders

Two of the four underlined have already fired their GM this season too. And coach. Eric Bieniemy for HC.
Why would Bienemy want to come here?
FredJohnson22
Practice Squad

Post by FredJohnson22 »

https://www.vikings.com/team/front-office-roster/
psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:48 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:07 pm

I thought Spielman and Brzezinski were "Executive VP" peers? No?
Not sure - they are both in the "Executive Staff".
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

FredJohnson22 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:10 pm

HC opportunity? Goal of most coordinators is to become a HC of their own team. Just someone I would pick the phone up and call if I am the Vikings and decide to make a HC change. He is someone I like in general in the coordinator ranks right now for a HC job. He has interviewed the past few years for HC jobs (Cle, Car, NYG, NYJ, TB are a few I know off top of head), so clearly he wants one. KC is supposedly supportive of him and that goal as well. The Vikings aren't a trash organization in the NFL, as much as we are upset with them currently. Normally HCs get plenty of time here and have a supportive ownership group willing to spend. Loyal fan base. He knows the organization, RB coach for AD at the start of his career. I think we gave him his first NFL opportunity. I don't recall him leaving on bad terms.
Last edited by makila on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Why not? You act like the Vikings are the Browns
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

makila wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm

HC opportunity? Goal of most coordinators is to become a HC of their own team. Just someone I would pick the phone up and call if I am the Vikings and decide to make a HC change. He is someone I like in general in the coordinator ranks right now for a HC job. He has interviewed the past few years for HC jobs (Cle, Car, NYG, NYJ, TB are a few I know off top of head), so clearly he wants one. KC is supposedly supportive of him and that goal as well. The Vikings aren't a trash organization in the NFL, as much as we are upset with them currently. Normally HCs get plenty of time here and have a supportive ownership group willing to spend. Loyal fan base. He knows the organization, RB coach for AD at the start of his career. I think we gave him his first NFL opportunity. I don't recall him leaving on bad terms.
I think he was a coach here as well. RB coach during the Peterson era I want to say.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

S197 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm
makila wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm

I think he was a coach here as well. RB coach during the Peterson era I want to say.
Yup, he was. He was the running back coach at the beginning of ADs career with the Vikings.

Had to go look it up, couldn't remember the exact years. 2006-2010 he coached our RBs. He left on his own to take OC job at Colorado (his alma mater). Came back to the NFL in 2013 when Reid brought him to KC to coach RBs. OC there since 2018.