Dear Mr. Wilf

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Dear Mr. Wilf

Post by allday1991 »

Boon wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:46 pm They kick the fg, they still lose. Its not zimmers fault dantzler let metcalf catch that wobbly duck for 50 yards. Or made mattison run right into hams back when he had a hole to the right. Literally not his fault
This was my thoughts, however its definitely his fault he single covered Metcalfe pretty much that whole last drive with just rookie corners, and on the final play for the touchdown covered him 1 on 1 with Harris. Like this guy is a defense coordinator and he cant figure out some type of double bracket coverage on Metcalfe to make Wilson throw somewhere else? I like the 4th and 1 call but hated the 1 on 1s with Metcalfe guys 6'3" with a 40 inch vertical at 230 pound ripped and we got our 6'0" 170-180 pound rookie cbs 1 on 1 him, #### stupid.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Boon wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:46 pm They kick the fg, they still lose. Its not zimmers fault dantzler let metcalf catch that wobbly duck for 50 yards. Or made mattison run right into hams back when he had a hole to the right. Literally not his fault
This was my thoughts, however its definitely his fault he single covered Metcalfe pretty much that whole last drive with just rookie corners, and on the final play for the touchdown covered him 1 on 1 with Harris. Like this guy is a defense coordinator and he cant figure out some type of double bracket coverage on Metcalfe to make Wilson throw somewhere else? I like the 4th and 1 call but hated the 1 on 1s with Metcalfe guys 6'3" with a 40 inch vertical at 230 pound ripped and we got our 6'0" 170-180 pound rookie cbs 1 on 1 him, so ******* stupid.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 am
This was my thoughts, however its definitely his fault he single covered Metcalfe pretty much that whole last drive with just rookie corners, and on the final play for the touchdown covered him 1 on 1 with Harris. Like this guy is a defense coordinator and he cant figure out some type of double bracket coverage on Metcalfe to make Wilson throw somewhere else? I like the 4th and 1 call but hated the 1 on 1s with Metcalfe guys 6'3" with a 40 inch vertical at 230 pound ripped and we got our 6'0" 170-180 pound rookie cbs 1 on 1 him, so ******* stupid.
IIRC, Harrison Smith was the safety help on the first Metcalfe 4th down catch. He was (correctly) looking to jump a shorter route in front of him given the Vikings blitzed on the play and it was likely either the ball would come out early or Wilson might break cover and try to pick it up with his legs. Smith played the odds in that situation and Wilson didn't, and in this particular case Wilson's bet paid off and Smith's didn't. But Smith was in the area, so I don't agree that Zimmer left Dantzler out to dry on that play. Few QBs in that situation are going to take a deep shot to a covered receiver under pressure. Wilson got a bit lucky in my view.

As for the coverage, Dantzler was with Metcalfe. It wasn't like Metcalfe even had a step on him, so technically Dantzler didn't need any help to make a play there. He just failed to track the ball or the receiver and wound up kind of overrunning both. Had he done better, Metcalfe might still have out-muscled him for the ball, but he was there. He gave himself a chance to make the play..

Zimmer seems to think Dantzler just made a rookie mistake. While I'm not sure I agree with that as I don't think ball instincts among DBs are taught, I don't see anything wrong with the overall scheme or individual play by the Vikings defenders on that first 4th down play Seattle converted on the final drive. Wilson threw up a prayer. He must be living right because it was answered.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am
This was my thoughts, however its definitely his fault he single covered Metcalfe pretty much that whole last drive with just rookie corners, and on the final play for the touchdown covered him 1 on 1 with Harris. Like this guy is a defense coordinator and he cant figure out some type of double bracket coverage on Metcalfe to make Wilson throw somewhere else? I like the 4th and 1 call but hated the 1 on 1s with Metcalfe guys 6'3" with a 40 inch vertical at 230 pound ripped and we got our 6'0" 170-180 pound rookie cbs 1 on 1 him, #### stupid.
Belicheck wouldn't have allowed Metcalf to win the game for them that's for sure.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 pm
allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am

Belicheck wouldn't have allowed Metcalf to win the game for them that's for sure.
You are right, it was Carson who put that game away when Seattle played the Pats, not Metcalf.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Honestly, this game checked all the boxes for being a poorly coached game:
  • Came in with a game plan to move the ball well downfield and keep Russel off the field.
  • Executed that game plan until the 3rd quarter when poor coaching made the QB turn it over twice.
  • Came in with a game plan to keep Wilson in the pocket and cover his guys downfield.
  • Executed that game plan better than any team, including the Pats, have done this year.
  • Players played hard until the end.
  • Made a gutsy call to remove a final drive by Wilson to tie the game as a factor.
  • Did all of this with an undermanned defense missing its best player and multiple other starters.
  • Outcoached one of the best in the business, only to lose because their QB is better.
Yep, all the boxes are checked with this one. Fire him him Wilf!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 am Honestly, this game checked all the boxes for being a poorly coached game:
  • Came in with a game plan to move the ball well downfield and keep Russel off the field.
  • Executed that game plan until the 3rd quarter when poor coaching made the QB turn it over twice.
  • Came in with a game plan to keep Wilson in the pocket and cover his guys downfield.
  • Executed that game plan better than any team, including the Pats, have done this year.
  • Made a gutsy call to remove a final drive by Wilson to tie the game as a factor.
  • Did all of this with an undermanned defense missing its best player and multiple other starters.
  • Outcoached one of the best in the business, only to lose because their QB is better.
I'm not ready to fire him yet by any stretch. I like him and think he's a decent coach. I can't see them winning a Super Bowl with him though as it seems he only beats the Saints when it comes to big games. Also the fact that he is so inept at benching offensive lineman who are awful and his failure to coach up these young corners to live up to where they were drafted is an issue. Rhodes playing like his old self as soon as he leaves is an issue. Signing Mannion as your backup year after year when he is clearly awful and you need someone to challenge Kirk is an issue. Breaking the bank for Barr when he is invisible is an issue. Having Daniel Carlson flop here then go on to be one of the best with the Raiders is yet another issue.But no I'm not all in on firing him yet.
mael·strom

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 am Honestly, this game checked all the boxes for being a poorly coached game:
I'm not ready to fire him yet by any stretch. I like him and think he's a decent coach. I can't see them winning a Super Bowl with him though as it seems he only beats the Saints when it comes to big games. Also the fact that he is so inept at benching offensive lineman who are awful and his failure to coach up these young corners to live up to where they were drafted is an issue. Rhodes playing like his old self as soon as he leaves is an issue. Signing Mannion as your backup year after year when he is clearly awful and you need someone to challenge Kirk is an issue. Breaking the bank for Barr when he is invisible is an issue. Having Daniel Carlson flop here then go on to be one of the best with the Raiders is yet another issue.But no I'm not all in on firing him yet.
I agree with a lot of those, but Carlson and Mannion are just as much if not more on the GM than on Zimmer, plus I could care less about losing a kicker and the backup has been completely irrelevant on this team the past 3 seasons including this one. Barr is a Zimmer guy, and Zimmer probably was responsible for bringing him back. He also could be cut after this season with little cap repercussions, and since next season is the first year his cap hit would actually be significant, was the extension something to get all that upset about? He is cut after this year and that is 10 million a year for 2019 and 2020 if you include the dead cap hit from cutting him. Hardly the reason we are in cap trouble.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

So you are happy with Zimmer missing the playoffs every other year?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:02 pm

My guess is he is probably happy about Zimmer making the playoffs every other year.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Not at all. I am actually almost sold on the fact that he should be fired. I would like to see the rest of the season play out though as I don't believe in firing a coach mid-season unless you really think someone underneath him should be head coach next which I don't see anyone on this staff deserving that role.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Not at all. I am actually almost sold on the fact that he should be fired. I would like to see the rest of the season play out though as I don't believe in firing a coach mid-season unless you really think someone underneath him should be head coach next which I don't see anyone on this roster deserving that role.
If Zimmer gets fired mid season, Vikings can make one of coaching staff interim head coach then find a head coach in the off season
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:48 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Not at all. I am actually almost sold on the fact that he should be fired. I would like to see the rest of the season play out though as I don't believe in firing a coach mid-season unless you really think someone underneath him should be head coach next which I don't see anyone on this roster deserving that role.
If Zimmer gets fired mid season, Vikings can make one of coaching staff interim head coach then find a head coach in the off season
Yeah I don't want to do that. I would rather wait and evaluate the entirety of the season to see if players continue battling for him and looking for improvement with the young guys. I think Zimmer has earned that as well.
mael·strom

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Yeah I don't want to do that. I would rather wait and evaluate the entirety of the season to see if players continue battling for him and looking for improvement with the young guys. I think Zimmer has earned that as well.
So Vikings got embarrassed to the winless Falcons at home, you still want to keep Zimmer?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm

So Vikings got embarrassed to the winless Falcons at home, you still want to keep Zimmer?
No lol I think they might as well let him coach out the season though. Not like anyone on the staff could be or deserves to be the next head coach. I thought they'd win today. That's embarrassing.
mael·strom