Vikes/Seahawks post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikes/Seahawks post-game thoughts

Post by Mothman »

The Vikes went on the road and gave a spirited performance against an undefeated team. They played hard tonight and that was a fun game.

It was also a winnable game and they gave it away with mistakes. The most glaring might have been Zimmer's decision to go for it on 4th down rather than kick a FG that would put them up by 8 with 2 minutes left. I liked Zim's aggressiveness tonight but if you're going to be aggressive in that situation, do something more unexpected than running off tackle against a defense that will be committing to stop the run.

You also have to consider who you're giving the ball if you fail on 4th down. Wilson's deadly in that situation and he proved it again.

There was a lot to like tonight. They ran the ball well. They dominated time of possession. The game plan was great. Cousins bounced back really well after the disastrous first half of the 3rd quarter. Thielen had a good night. Cook and Mattison were outstanding. Mike Hughes almost earned himself a game ball at the end (give him one anyway—Eric Wilson too). There was plenty to like.

Unfortunately, the turnovers, the decision not to extend the lead to 8, the conversion they allowed on 4th and 10 on Seattle's last drive... their mistakes did them in. Seattle deserves credit for pulling out the win but this was pretty close to a self-inflicted loss and it was a loss they couldn't afford.

It was an enjoyable game but this one hurts.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikes/Seahawks post-game thoughts

Post by Boon »

Would love ro see the response if mattison gets that first down. " that was a great decision by zimmer.....". Here come the hypocrites.

Up by 8 or not, you dont give jehri curl the ball back if at all possible. I would go for it 10/10 times in that situation. That failure was all on mattison
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:48 pm The Vikes went on the road and gave a spirited performance against an undefeated team. They played hard tonight and that was a fun game.

It was also a winnable game and they gave it away with mistakes. The most glaring might have been Zimmer's decision to go for it on 4th down rather than kick a FG that would put them up by 8 with 2 minutes left. I liked Zim's aggressiveness tonight but if you're going to be aggressive in that situation, do something more unexpected than running off tackle against a defense that will be committing to stop the run.

You also have to consider who you're giving the ball if you fail on 4th down. Wilson's deadly in that situation and he proved it again.

There was a lot to like tonight. They ran the ball well. They dominated time of possession. The game plan was great. Cousins bounced back really well after the disastrous first half of the 3rd quarter. Thielen had a good night. Cook and Mattison were outstanding. Mike Hughes almost earned himself a game ball at the end (give him one anyway—Eric Wilson too). There was plenty to like.

Unfortunately, the turnovers, the decision not to extend the lead to 8, the conversion they allowed on 4th and 10 on Seattle's last drive... their mistakes did them in. Seattle deserves credit for pulling out the win but this was pretty close to a self-inflicted loss and it was a loss they couldn't afford.

It was an enjoyable game but this one hurts.
Underlined is exactly what he was considering when he went for it. Get the 1st, punch it in, and the best comeback QB in the business is taken out of the picture. If he could make a 95 yard drive in the time he had left, he was going to make a 75 yard one after the kickoff, and then we are looking at a coin flip to see who has a shot to put the game away. I like the odds of getting a few inches over giving the ball back to Wilson. Every. Single. Time.

Great call, well coached game and I saw a ton of progress from this young secondary. If our D-line could create a little pressure in under 5 seconds, this is a blowout win.

Offense moved well outside of a couple of boneheaded mistakes. Cook and Mattison played well and it was clear the Vikings were sending a message that Irv is the guy at TE. Great game by him and Theilen as well.

On to Atlanta where we should be favored by 20 after a competitive game tonight.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I thought the worst call of the night was the blitz on 4th and 10. Not only can Wilson read that like a book, even if our CBs do their job, Wilson can sneak out the edge and run for the first down pretty easily in that situation. Maybe if we were at full strength with Barr and Hunter, but with our current squad it was a terrible decision.

How many times has the Zimmer defense allowed a team to drive down late in games and make us look silly in losses? Probably way more times than a defensive guru head coach should have.
Last edited by TSonn on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

It seems more and more like we either have Zimmer family members on the forum or people on the Vikings salary to stick up for Zim this much over and over and over again.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

They played hard and really outplayed them on the stat sheet. I'm always a proponent of taking the points and not going for 2 until you have to. Had they taken the extra point earlier and the chipshot later they would have won.

However, you also have to be able to get an inch and stop a 95 yard drive that features two 4th down opportunities to seal it.

Dru Samia is not a starting caliber guard. I really hope they figure that out. Kirk isnt the guy to lead us to a championship either imo. Dalvin is a monster when he is healthy but we already knew that. I am glad we didn't extend Harris now. The corners are still suspect but better than when Hill is starting. Wilson is better than Barr at a fraction of the price.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 pm It seems more and more like we either have Zimmer family members on the forum or people on the Vikings salary to stick up for Zim this much over and over and over again.
If he was fired tomorrow I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I think he has run his course as our HC, I just am calling a spade a spade here.
He coached a very good game and did really well against a very explosive Seattle offense with very little talent on defense.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:04 pm
Dru Samia is not a starting caliber guard. I really hope they figure that out.
I can't believe they keep trotting that guy out there. Every other team can snipe guys off of practice squads who can come in and play RG competently, how are we stuck with that pile of garbage?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm I thought the worst call of the night was the blitz on 4th and 10. Not only can Wilson read that like a book, even if our CBs do their job, Wilson can sneak out the edge and run for the first down pretty easily in that situation. Maybe if we were at full strength with Barr and Hunter, but with our current squad it was a terrible decision.
Agreed. That's a bad spot to put inexperienced corners in man coverage against such talented WRs.
How many times has the Zimmer defense allowed a team to drive down late in games and make us look silly in losses? Probably way more times than a defensive guru head coach should have.
Definitely.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I hope Zimmer gets fired tomorrow, he is not head coach material
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Boon wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 pm Would love ro see the response if mattison gets that first down. " that was a great decision by zimmer.....". Here come the hypocrites.

Up by 8 or not, you dont give jehri curl the ball back if at all possible. I would go for it 10/10 times in that situation. That failure was all on mattison
And oniel. He allowed his man to blow him back, ham then stopped the LB but oniel is sitting in the hole.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:07 pm
TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 pm It seems more and more like we either have Zimmer family members on the forum or people on the Vikings salary to stick up for Zim this much over and over and over again.
If he was fired tomorrow I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I think he has run his course as our HC, I just am calling a spade a spade here.
He coached a very good game and did really well against a very explosive Seattle offense with very little talent on defense.
I agree, I've voiced the opinion that there needed to be a clearing of the entire organization from the GM to the QB but I don't see a problem with this decision. The talent is not there on defense and it is one of the best examples of situational football to me where you saw the Vikes running it down their throats for the entire drive and that defense was gassed. Do you trust them to get a few inches or give it back to an all world QB and their offense against the Vikes pretty pitiful defense? Maybe if it was last year or the year before it's a different decision, but this year, with this defense? I don't fault the decision at all.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:12 pm
Boon wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 pm Would love ro see the response if mattison gets that first down. " that was a great decision by zimmer.....". Here come the hypocrites.

And oniel. He allowed his man to blow him back, ham then stopped the LB but oniel is sitting in the hole.
If he cuts it right he probably scores. No idea why he just went straight into hams back
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

I agreed with the 4th down call. Have to find a way to get that yard. Other than that don't know what to say, its typical Vikings they will let you down 90% of the time is those situations, especially against good teams. :hitfan:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

When this team fixes it's Cap, it will be really really good.
12 million from Rieff
14 million from Barr
12 million from Harris
31 million from Cousins.