Cousins in the “big games”

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Cousins in the “big games”

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 am I didn't state my opinion about the line I stated facts. That is the biggest difference between what you comment versus what I do. You write what you perceive the line to be doing while I write what they are actually doing.
Stump, you can't seriously believe the offensive line passes the smell test so far even if the averages you cite suggest otherwise.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 am I didn't state my opinion about the line I stated facts. That is the biggest difference between what you comment versus what I do. You write what you perceive the line to be doing while I write what they are actually doing.
Stump, you can't seriously believe the offensive line passes the smell test so far even if the averages you cite suggest otherwise.
VL, they stink. We haven’t played the really good defensive lines yet. They will eat us alive.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 pm
My opinion on how good the line is is irrelevant. I do not claim the be an expert on Oline technique, nor do I go back and watch the film of the game just to watch the Oline. Like most fans, I watch the skill players most of the time and only notice the Oline when they play poorly.

That is why the numbers and the coaching staff's opinion on the line are the most important factors to me when I judge Oline play. I might watch a few plays where Elf or Samia get blown past like they were standing still and have strong opinions based on those plays, but I will also look at the numbers to see if that was the exception or the norm in a game.

The numbers say that the Oline is not playing poorly enough that it can be used an excuse for the QB's play. They have given up pressures, given up sacks, but not at a rate where a 33 million dollar QB couldn't overcome their play. That is not saying they are great, or even good, it is saying they are doing good enough that we shouldn't have seen those debacles the first two weeks that we did.

I will also add that the numbers indicate Cousins is one of the most difficult QBs to block for in the NFL. He doesn't move well in the pocket and he takes forever to throw. The 5 QBs ahead of him in time in the pocket are all mobile QBs, and there is a reason for that.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

If Cousins was winning some big games this wouldn't even be up for discussion.
But he is a 500 QB who doesn't have a good record against better teams.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm If Cousins was winning some big games this wouldn't even be up for discussion.
How is that Cousins fault? He has been on a terrible Redskins team so that is why he does not have a good record against better teams
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:24 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm If Cousins was winning some big games this wouldn't even be up for discussion.
How is that Cousins fault? He has been on a terrible Redskins team so that is why he does not have a good record against better teams
Well, his record against winning teams while with the Vikings isn't much better at 3-9 after tonight.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Purple Reign wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Well, his record against winning teams while with the Vikings isn't much better at 3-9 after tonight.
With 2 of those coming against a Philly team that would not be .500 in most other divisions. He did show some grit tonight with two big drives after two big mistakes.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am not blaming Cousins on the loss tonight, the loss is on Zimmer’s stupidity
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:03 pm
Purple Reign wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm

With 2 of those coming against a Philly team that would not be .500 in most other divisions. He did show some grit tonight with two big drives after two big mistakes.
He definitely showed some grit at the end. And thats what I want to see out of a QB is to not fold up like a burrito after a couple big mistakes. If anyone watched Jimmy G today, that was him through and through and ended up getting pulled at halftime. Cousins could've easily crumbled after those plays and we could've been blown out but he didnt which I commend him for that.

As for the mistakes:

The fumble. Was it a fumble? Yes. But I will say until the day I die that nobody had possession of that ball when the whistle blew. I dont get how nobody on the Vikings sideline fought that when they gave it to Seattle?? And on a side note, the fumble at the end was NOT a fumble but that's another deal in itself. Everyone and their mother was saying it wasnt a fumble. Just some poor refereeing there.

The INT. Now I am no expert but I cant blame Cousins for trying to make that throw. If anyone saw the replay, there was NOBODY behind Jefferson. However, I dont know if that's something Jefferson needs to recognize and take his route at more of an angle down the field or if it was just on Cousins. It was a pretty impressive pick but if it was me, I try and loft it over the defenders head as well. That could've resulted in a monster gain.

Overall, Cousins did his part and still put this team into position tonight to win against a 4-0 Seattle team on the road. Unfortunately, he didnt come out on top and I feel like that was more on Zimmer and Kubiak (and even Mattison some) more than it is anyone else. Just typical Vikings luck that Cook gets hurt because I'd bet my bank account he doesnt miss that massive hole. And that's just it. Cousins looks like a hero tonight if Mattison just saw the hole to his right. It was that simple but I really dont know what he was looking at. Hell, Cousins looks like a hero if Cook was in right there too. It's just unfortunate how that ending turned out. But that's the Vikings at the end of close games. Have lost two games now by a total of 2 points. We're 1-4 and could very easily be 3-2.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:03 pm

He definitely showed some grit at the end. And thats what I want to see out of a QB is to not fold up like a burrito after a couple big mistakes. If anyone watched Jimmy G today, that was him through and through and ended up getting pulled at halftime. Cousins could've easily crumbled after those plays and we could've been blown out but he didnt which I commend him for that.

As for the mistakes:

The fumble. Was it a fumble? Yes. But I will say until the day I die that nobody had possession of that ball when the whistle blew. I dont get how nobody on the Vikings sideline fought that when they gave it to Seattle?? And on a side note, the fumble at the end was NOT a fumble but that's another deal in itself. Everyone and their mother was saying it wasnt a fumble. Just some poor refereeing there.

The INT. Now I am no expert but I cant blame Cousins for trying to make that throw. If anyone saw the replay, there was NOBODY behind Jefferson. However, I dont know if that's something Jefferson needs to recognize and take his route at more of an angle down the field or if it was just on Cousins. It was a pretty impressive pick but if it was me, I try and loft it over the defenders head as well. That could've resulted in a monster gain.

Overall, Cousins did his part and still put this team into position tonight to win against a 4-0 Seattle team on the road. Unfortunately, he didnt come out on top and I feel like that was more on Zimmer and Kubiak (and even Mattison some) more than it is anyone else. Just typical Vikings luck that Cook gets hurt because I'd bet my bank account he doesnt miss that massive hole. And that's just it. Cousins looks like a hero tonight if Mattison just saw the hole to his right. It was that simple but I really dont know what he was looking at. Hell, Cousins looks like a hero if Cook was in right there too. It's just unfortunate how that ending turned out. But that's the Vikings at the end of close games. Have lost two games now by a total of 2 points. We're 1-4 and could very easily be 3-2.
I don't know about a hero exactly. He still was responsible for putting Seattle in scoring position twice and he was the beneficiary of a 200 yard rushing game by his RBs. Seattle came into this game giving up 400 yards in the air per game and 8.2 YPA, and Cousins averaged 6.4 YPA, threw for 250 and had a sub 100 passer rating. The only QB who has done worse against that defense was Fitzpatrick. For most of the game he played the game manager role well though.

If this is the game Cousins is hanging his hat on for turning the corner in a big game, we are in big trouble going forward.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Cousins can't win the important games because he self destructs...How was that 3rd quarter for him?
Between him and Zimmer we are just going to be an average team.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 am

Cousins can't win the important games because he self destructs...How was that 3rd quarter for him?
I guess you forgot Cousins won an important game against the Saints in the playoffs last year?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Sorry but I just don’t buy that. Every game is an “important game”. Whether you’re playing the jets or the chiefs it doesn’t matter. Like I said above, cousins put the team in position to win last night. He didn’t make that call to mattison or miss a massive hole to the right. If we use our brain, cousins walks away a winner. We don’t and he walks away a loser. That’s not Kirk cousins fault
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:55 am

I guess you forgot Cousins won an important game against the Saints in the playoffs last year?
Nobody remembers that one. We were road dogs playing against a future HOF QB. Of course the 49ers kicked us the following week which everyone remembers. That 49er team was red hot and also made Rodgers look average at best Cousins got the lose which is how it works but Rodgers wasn't winning that game for us either and he's much better than Cousins. Right now we are an injured team going through a rebuild. Our secondary at this point in time is about as bad as I have seen. The kids playing CB are going to get smoked. Not because they are no good but they are rookies and will need a few seasons before they settle in. We don't have the talent level right now to beat a winning team. Cousins will get the lose for all of them.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:55 am

Nobody remembers that one. We were road dogs playing against a future HOF QB. Of course the 49ers kicked us the following week which everyone remembers. That 49er team was red hot and also made Rodgers look average at best Cousins got the lose which is how it works but Rodgers wasn't winning that game for us either and he's much better than Cousins. Right now we are an injured team going through a rebuild. Our secondary at this point in time is about as bad as I have seen. The kids playing CB are going to get smoked. Not because they are no good but they are rookies and will need a few seasons before they settle in. We don't have the talent level right now to beat a winning team. Cousins will get the lose for all of them.