Vikings vs. Texans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs. Texans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:49 pm

Nope, they are both similar
True. Clearly the emergence of JJ has helped Cousins (obviously) and Thielen. But I just think JJ is a bigger receiver who seems like he can be a guy who take the top off, run crossers, and be a possession guy. Even though Diggs was great with contested catches I'm not sure he was ever a possession guy.
Diggs is making Josh Allen look like an MVP candidate right now. Watch his highlight video from this weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19colFl3lU

This trade might be one of those rare ones that worked out for both teams exactly how they wanted. Buffalo got a WR who would help their QB grow into a top 10 passer, the Vikings got some cap relief and aren't seeing a big drop off at the WR position. Win win, and a bright spot in an otherwise bleak season so far. Outside of Cook of course, who is elite.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The Good
Jefferson and Cook are making the offense fun to watch. Thielen had his breakout game of the season and the secondary looking okay and showing improvement.

The Bad
Was the secondary improving the result of officiating allowing them to mug receivers?

The Ugly
This one could change based on how we do against Seattle. If we compete with Seattle this win is a good thing, if we get destroyed and prove the team can't even compete with the better teams in the NFL, all this win did was slow the change that needs to come for this team to give us hope again.
The other ugly part of this game was that it showed the complete incompetence in handling the depth at the safety position. This is 100% on the HC, who clings to these garbage veterans who "know his system" but don't actually have anything left in the tank. Marcus Epps should have been the one who came in in relief of Smith, and instead he is on the Eagles because we needed the human torpedo for half a season last year.
My final ugly was the lack of pass rush against the worst offensive line in football. If you can't get after Watson this year you aren't going to be able to get after any QB. Any pressure we generated was after Watson had already gone through most of his reads or off of blitzes or stunts.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:16 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Lol ok man. I’m not being a homer at all. And my guess is you didn’t watch any of the TB game so you have zero clue what I’m talking about. It’s not as much about smiths hit specifically but his inconsistent “New York” is on determining what is valid for ejection and what’s not. Trust me when I say this, the TB hit was much worse, and no ejected. A true helmet to helmet on a pass over the middle.

So please, keep the sarcastic comments to yourself
I am not a sarcastic person and I can not stand people who are sarcastic, nice try though!
Then please read my post regarding the hit. Vikings or not, New York is inconsistent with this ruling. That's what bothers me. No less the TB hit happened minutes after Smith's did so it was definitely fresh in their minds.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:35 pmNot sure if it was because you were busy or just couldn’t find a stream, if the latter, let me know I have a site I found that’s worked pretty well in finding games. Anyone else too, after Reddit NFL streams got taken down I had some issues week 1.

If you were just shooing kids off your lawn, I can’t help :tongue:
:lol:

Thanks, I was just busy...

... but at least those damn kids are gone!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 pm Justin Jefferson is currently on pace to accrue 1,392 receiving yards. Which is 81 yards behind Bill Groman's 1,473 yard record for most receiving yards in a season as a rookie; Let's say Jefferson got 100 yards in the first two games too, his average would have then been 119.5 Yards per game. That would have been on pace to shatter the record with 1,912 yards. In fact, if Justin Jefferson gets a 200-yard game next week... he'd be on pace for 1,753 yards.

So yeah, all pure speculation, but that Justin Jefferson kid is something else, and he might be the next best receiver coming into the league since Randy Moss. Let's just hope he stays a lifelong Viking. I still think he'll probably end up winning NFC Rookie of the Year.
If he keeps up the pace, he'll win more than just NFC ROY. He'll be the NFL's rookie of the year. Burrow and Herbert look good but they also need to win some games. If that doesnt happen I think Jefferson has a shot.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:48 am
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 pm Justin Jefferson is currently on pace to accrue 1,392 receiving yards. Which is 81 yards behind Bill Groman's 1,473 yard record for most receiving yards in a season as a rookie; Let's say Jefferson got 100 yards in the first two games too, his average would have then been 119.5 Yards per game. That would have been on pace to shatter the record with 1,912 yards. In fact, if Justin Jefferson gets a 200-yard game next week... he'd be on pace for 1,753 yards.

So yeah, all pure speculation, but that Justin Jefferson kid is something else, and he might be the next best receiver coming into the league since Randy Moss. Let's just hope he stays a lifelong Viking. I still think he'll probably end up winning NFC Rookie of the Year.
If he keeps up the pace, he'll win more than just NFC ROY. He'll be the NFL's rookie of the year. Burrow and Herbert look good but they also need to win some games. If that doesnt happen I think Jefferson has a shot.
Rookie QBs putting up good numbers in losses will almost always get the nod over a rookie WR putting up good numbers. Herbert and Burrows will need to collapse completely for JJ to win it. Not saying that is right, but that is how things go.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Wow, our Dline generated 2 pressures against the worst Oline in football yesterday. There were a total of 10 pressures on the QB, but 8 of those were charged to the QB, which means our coverage generated those pressures, not the line.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:34 am Wow, our Dline generated 2 pressures against the worst Oline in football yesterday. There were a total of 10 pressures on the QB, but 8 of those were charged to the QB, which means our coverage generated those pressures, not the line.
It had nothing to do with the coverage. IMO Watson is a media darling and yes he puts up some numbers but when facing one of the worst defenses in the NFL a great QB will shred them. Now he did once the game was lost. He did nothing early but put his team in a hole. Right now our D line blows. IMO pressure is the most important thing on D. We can't generate any pressure. That started week 1 when Rodgers wasn't touched. I like that guy we traded for. At least he gets some sacks. I like that we are playing the young guys in the secondary. They will get burnt but at least they are getting some game experience. I'm more concerned with them getting no help over the top. These WRs are allowed to run down the field with nothing over the top. I don't know if that's the coverage scheme or our safeties blow.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:58 am Is it me or every time Cousins connects with Rudolph, it seems like the most spectacular play ever. Too bad it's so rare.
That pass and catch was insane. I mean, Cousins is so risk averse and typically only throws when guys have a large window... (see the play yesterday where he took a sack and the announcers pointed out how open JJ was). But on this play Cousins threw into double coverage while backing up because he trusts Rudy to come down with it? It was mundo bizarro for a moment. Really caught my eye.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:33 am

Rookie QBs putting up good numbers in losses will almost always get the nod over a rookie WR putting up good numbers. Herbert and Burrows will need to collapse completely for JJ to win it. Not saying that is right, but that is how things go.
I agree chances are it will be a QB but I mean Harvin won rookie of the year in 09. I think it's definitely doable and realistic. Especially if he goes over 1,000 and has a good amount of TDs. That's going to be hard to ignore.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CeeDee Lamb has more receptions and TDs. JJ has more yards (averaging 21.8 YPC!!!).

Lamb also plays for an offense that is averaging 420 passing yards per game, mainly because Dallas' defense is historically bad. That means he might get more chances than JJ.

I'd still rather have JJ, now that I've seen what he can do. Plus, that dance ... sweetest I've seen in years in the NFL.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

S197 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:35 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:13 pm Good: They won!
Bad: I was unable to see or listen to the game (so naturally—they won).
Ugly: U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi...
Not sure if it was because you were busy or just couldn’t find a stream, if the latter, let me know I have a site I found that’s worked pretty well in finding games. Anyone else too, after Reddit NFL streams got taken down I had some issues week 1.

If you were just shooing kids off your lawn, I can’t help :tongue:
S197, I tried to PM you but it said i didn't have "enough characters" to send message. NO idea what that meant but would like a link to the site you were talking about.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StpViking wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:07 pm Good:

Justin Jefferson proving me wrong about this year's WR draft class. I thought they were all about even and picking a WR in the first round was a waste. The kid has already made up for the franchise selecting Troy Williamson/Cordarrelle Patterson/Laquon Treadwell. Love the dancing into the end zone bit too.

The Bad:

Lack of pass rush over and over and over and over....AGAIN. The secondary is already bad, this is making things so much worst.

The Ugly:

The Vikings chances of finally landing the franchise QB. The best this year's team could hope for is getting in the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round. Then we are stuck with Cousins, Zimm and Spielman all over again.
What do you consider a franchise QB? Is Dak Prescott one? Nick superbowl winner Foles one? I keep hearing Watson is one but Cousins just beat him at his home.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:09 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:34 am Wow, our Dline generated 2 pressures against the worst Oline in football yesterday. There were a total of 10 pressures on the QB, but 8 of those were charged to the QB, which means our coverage generated those pressures, not the line.
It had nothing to do with the coverage. IMO Watson is a media darling and yes he puts up some numbers but when facing one of the worst defenses in the NFL a great QB will shred them. Now he did once the game was lost. He did nothing early but put his team in a hole. Right now our D line blows. IMO pressure is the most important thing on D. We can't generate any pressure. That started week 1 when Rodgers wasn't touched. I like that guy we traded for. At least he gets some sacks. I like that we are playing the young guys in the secondary. They will get burnt but at least they are getting some game experience. I'm more concerned with them getting no help over the top. These WRs are allowed to run down the field with nothing over the top. I don't know if that's the coverage scheme or our safeties blow.
He played terrible in the first half of that game, but was much better in the second half.

Something is off with him this year, more than just losing Hopkins can explain. He has played like an elite QB since entering the NFL and it isn't just the media's perception of him that makes me think that, it is the reality of what he has done.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

More good ...

Coming into the game, Kirk Cousins, who thrives on play action, had been 8-for-16 in the previous 3 games combined.

Against Houston, he was 9-for-11 for 180 yards.

Maybe Kubiak ought to dial up play action a little more often, no?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.